Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
On second thought, gently caress tweaking, I'm gonna play the old characters again and rediscover what the hell I was planning for their character builds. I have a chance to play real-life amnesiac PC, I'm sure as hell not gonna waste it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's what they call "method acting," I think. Have fun!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best IWD voice is the one where the guy's like 'Well, looks like I'm gonna have to go on a killing spree.'

EDIT: Also, I just reinstalled Tyranny. Then I remembered that I just don't enjoy PotD that much so I changed the difficulty. Then I realised I'd already done a Scarlet Chorus run through so I started again. Then it was 4 am.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I definitely enjoyed Tyranny a lot more when I dropped the difficulty down. The sheer amount of combat in that game kinda seems like filler for the fact it isn't that long really

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

GorfZaplen posted:

I definitely enjoyed Tyranny a lot more when I dropped the difficulty down. The sheer amount of combat in that game kinda seems like filler for the fact it isn't that long really
I somehow missed the discussion about how short Tyranny was when I started, and I think I have already played more hours than the expected time to complete the game, despite probably only being halfway through. I was assuming it was a normal-length isometric CRPG, and contemplating what might happen long-term as a result of my character build and playing with combat strategies ... I mean, I guess that is not inherently a bad thing if I am enjoying it, but now it seems like I should have treated it like, uh, a great Neverwinter Nights mod, in terms of how much thought I put into it?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I played tyranny on max difficulty but I played an unarmed fighter with lots of magic skills that proc on hit which makes combat ridiculous. It is a ton of fun even though you have to pass over the cool artifact weapons.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How do you make magic that procs on hit?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Cardiovorax posted:

How do you make magic that procs on hit?

Sigil of material force makes spells that effect your weapon and the enhancement sigil of volcanic weapon adds a big aoe damage effect that's per hit. So, cool if you're swinging a big slow weapon, and totally insane if you're rapid fire punching dudes.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So Jeff just posted a kickstarter update saying the Geneforge remasted is essentially complete and going out to testers (planned closed beta January, public release February).

E: I guess there's a dedicated Spiderweb thread but anyway...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Sigil of material force makes spells that effect your weapon and the enhancement sigil of volcanic weapon adds a big aoe damage effect that's per hit. So, cool if you're swinging a big slow weapon, and totally insane if you're rapid fire punching dudes.
Thanks. I never really tried playing around with that expression because figuring out how to make bigger booms has been pretty fun so far, but I'll give that a shot.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks. I never really tried playing around with that expression because figuring out how to make bigger booms has been pretty fun so far, but I'll give that a shot.

Volcanic weapon is truly ludicrous but you don't get it until about halfway through the game so until then you're merely good. It's still a lot of fun though.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
In the original IBM Phantasie, you can occasionally encounter monsters of an unexpected tier (danger level).

I thought this was a change to spice things up, but it turns out it's a bug. Here's how it happens; most of this is identical on IBM and Apple ][:
  • Every time you move outdoors, there is a 6% chance of triggering a random encounter on any terrain that doesn't have a special event, and isn't water or a bridge (the Astral Plane is technically all bridges).
  • If there is an encounter, there is a 65% chance the encounter is during the day. (The game could actually check expedition time rather than roll randomly, but it doesn't.)
  • If the encounter is during the day, there is a 91% chance that the encounter is not with Black Knights.
  • If the encounter is not with Black Knights, the game chooses a terrain and tier appropriate monster. Every party member then rolls for a chance to detect the monsters; this is Listen skill in 222 (skill checks are normally percentages, but this isn't).
  • The chance that the monsters detect the party is (20 + tier * 6)%. (Monsters come in 6 tiers, so tier is 0 to 5.)
  • If no character detects the monsters and the monsters detect the party, the chance the monsters surprise the party is then a flat 50%. (A random number from 0 to 99 is picked, and 50 to 99 mean surprise.)
  • If the monsters fail to surprise the party, this should immediately start combat with the algorithm-chosen monsters, but with no surprise on either side. This happens on Apple ][, but what happens on IBM is that there is a 98% chance combat gets initiated instead using the surprise roll from the previous step (0 to 49: the function returning 0 means no encounter, 1-49 mean specific monsters).

That's a 1-byte fix, simple compared to other fixes I'm contemplating.

(Also, notice how this is much more sophisticated compared to surprise in early AD&D or Wizardry or Final Fantasy? Surprise is a simpler dice roll in all, and if you blow it against the wrong monsters, a total party kill can ensue.)

Boldor fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 20, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
GOG now has Planet's Edge, a nice Starflight/Ultima 6 hybrid from the early 90s.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Co...kIAAOSwmGNf392X

You don't see something like this every day. In fact, you probably won't even see it again. Will be interesting to see where it closes. It started at $10 last night.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Started Dungeon Master and I'm getting the Wasteland vibe of seeing stuff I've already seen copied several times by newer games.

And I'm still not 100% convinced about the DM engine remake (most likely because it copies a different (ST?) version than the one I was used to), but holy poo poo, the upgraded keybindings alone are worth it. Dedicated keys for each attack of each characters? Keys for entering runes? Duplicated movement controls for laptop keyboards? Yes please.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pierzak posted:

Started Dungeon Master and I'm getting the Wasteland vibe of seeing stuff I've already seen copied several times by newer games.

And I'm still not 100% convinced about the DM engine remake (most likely because it copies a different (ST?) version than the one I was used to), but holy poo poo, the upgraded keybindings alone are worth it. Dedicated keys for each attack of each characters? Keys for entering runes? Duplicated movement controls for laptop keyboards? Yes please.

Please show me this miracle!

Speaking of, Heretic & Hexen collection for $3 US on GOG. That made me smile.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Please show me this miracle!

Here you go, DM remake and Chaos Strikes Back on PC in the same remade engine.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Co...kIAAOSwmGNf392X

You don't see something like this every day. In fact, you probably won't even see it again. Will be interesting to see where it closes. It started at $10 last night.
I definitely did not know that even existed. Amazing that he was popular enough by 1981 to functionally get a collector's edition, haha.

Also linked from that auction were Ultima II and III paper maps. What sadsack repackagings had paper maps? Sigh. Still tempted to buy the map from II and put it up in my toddler's room as a regular world map

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh joy, my fondest memory of Dungeon Master, tiny assholes who snatch your items and run away. :tizzy:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 22, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Has anyone else tried this? I get error messages when I try to unrar DM, for some reason. Chaos is fine.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
And done. Man, Lord Order is a bigger dick than I thought. Time for Skullkeep. Not looking forward to unlearning the nice new control scheme from CSBWin :(

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone else tried this? I get error messages when I try to unrar DM, for some reason. Chaos is fine.
What are you unpacking it with? 7-Zip tends to work just fine (worked this time too, just checked) whenever there's a RAR version mismatch or some such.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 22, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone know Dungeon Master 2 here? I have an issue.

I've already encountered rear end in a top hat Thieves Mk2 (much more effective than in DM1 and the reason I always carry a maximized fireball ready) and I've prepared for them by isolating the starting village (by closing and locking the Ra door and only entering via the teleporter panel). AFAIR that should make the village a safe area. gently caress no, I just teleported back and instantly got robbed by one of the tiny menaces, right in the middle of the locked village. What am I doing wrong? I'm 100% sure the village was clear when I was locking it, so no strays left by mistake.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Having no advice to rely on, I have taken a more assertive stance in dealing with unlawful property removal.

...I might've been a tiny bit overzealous in shaking the locals down for cash. I blame pretty tech armor for sale.

I then proceeded to sell the axes at the wrong village, which got me like 1/4 of the money it should. Don't make my mistake, kids!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was reminded not long ago that there is a fan-made continuation of the DM series called "Return to Chaos". If it's not up for download anymore, I will host it somewhere if anyone asks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Beat Dungeon Master 2: Legend of Skullkeep. Kinda ambivalent about it.
On the one hand it's still as pretty as I remember it (and it was the first game I tested my sound card on, so I freely admit nostalgia bias), OTOH it suffers from... not exactly bugginess, but a lack of polish/design testing in places, it doesn't show often but when it does, it's borderline rage-inducing.
I mean, you have complex puzzles, but it also means backtracking through half the tower because a minion's harassing the stoker golems in the basement and the fire went out. You have neat stuff like a special minion tracking you through most of the game world and having to trap it in a locked room, but it also means THOSE loving THIEVES wandering really far from their typical spawning areas and attack minions being a regular nuisance in general (why yes, please wander in when I'm trying to not get pushed into pits by battering rams).
Also, the last puzzle, where you have to align 3 separate projectiles to strike the same object at EXACTLY (as in, frame-perfect) the same time, with their switches being not the most responsive things and also on a delay, and one of the projectiles being dependent on electricity which can go out because the furnace's not being stoked 4 levels below, is loving bullshit, no two ways about it. If anybody's playing this, just turn on all 4 switches in that room and blast the crystal with the Numenstaff's triple fireball, this registers too.
And the game's kinda short. It seems like it wanted to be Grimrock 2-type of sequel with a sprawling overworld and multiple dungeons, but lacked time or resources to become one. Still, a pity the foreshadowing was all for nothing and we didn't get DM3 in the end.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 26, 2020

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Beat Dungeon Master 2: Legend of Skullkeep. Kinda ambivalent about it.
On the one hand it's still as pretty as I remember it (and it was the first game I tested my sound card on, so I freely admit nostalgia bias), OTOH it suppers from... not exactly bugginess, but a lack of polish/design testing in places, it doesn't show often but when it does, it's borderline rage-inducing.

Cool.
I looked into that Dungeon Master 1/2 revamp last week before deciding to try out Legend of Grimrock 1 for the first time since it came out in 2012.
Ended up bombing out on Grimrock 1 extremely hard. Grimrock 1 being designed around you having to side-stab/backstab enemies & the constant movement dancing required for side-stabs (never managed a backstab) in combat had me extremely bored with everything by mid dungeon-level 3....if I wanted to play a rhythm-combat game I'd have installed Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Bombing out on Grimrock 1 so hard means I am not sure what old-school rpg I'm going to try/retry next: Never tried any of the M&M rpgs, or Wizards Crown, or Daemonsgate, etc.

SFL Archives readthrough continues to bring illumination to design choices in older cRPGs.
A) Someone noted the similarities between Ultima 5 and Lord Foul from the Thomas Covenant books......which makes alot of sense in retrospect now. That I DAMIANO game turned out to be a bizarre quasi-interactive fiction/quasi-cRPG ala Beyond Zork where you had to deal with a morality system.

B) The background setting of the KRONDOR rpg series got explained more. I knew the KRONDOR games were based on Raymond Feist's RIFTWAR series, however the SFL Archives talked about what "inspired" the Riftwars series...An RPG setting Feist helped playtest/design. And that the actually interesting invasion from a bizarre non-standard European fantasy kingdom in Riftwar sequels came from the Tekumel RPG/Empire of Petal Throne sourcebooks. Tekumel had some very try hard dark sourcebooks. sort of curious how much Vampire: The Masquarade was inspired by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Ebon_Bindings

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

quantumfoam posted:

Tekumel had some very try hard dark sourcebooks. sort of curious how much Vampire: The Masquarade was inspired by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Ebon_Bindings
As someone who has spent a lot of time looking at early RPG supplements both out of curiosity and as an auctioneer of said supplements, it is absolutely bonkers that something looking like that came out in 1978. The cover alone looks totally out of place, let alone the subject matter (though that WAS before the Satanic Panic really got going so that makes more sense)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Might and magic 3 is nice and simple, and it's not a 100 hour epic. I like it as a beginner dungeon crawler. Compared to wizardry, its downright accessible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There will be a rerelease double pack of Stranger of Sword City and another game I cant remember coming to Pc in Jan. You might say, Barudak, Stranger of Sword City already is on PC and you're right, but this is the revisited version and the only way to get that outside of the Vita. Now it wont make SoSC a great game, but it is full of a lot of QoL improvements that considerably improve it from like a 6/10 to an 8/10 and would be something that might be worth checking out if you like first person dungeon crawler rpgs

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Barudak posted:

There will be a rerelease double pack of Stranger of Sword City and another game I cant remember coming to Pc in Jan. You might say, Barudak, Stranger of Sword City already is on PC and you're right, but this is the revisited version and the only way to get that outside of the Vita. Now it wont make SoSC a great game, but it is full of a lot of QoL improvements that considerably improve it from like a 6/10 to an 8/10 and would be something that might be worth checking out if you like first person dungeon crawler rpgs

The new game in the bundle is Saviors of Sapphire Wings. There's also going to be a Switch version of the bundle, if you're into that (handheld systems are pretty nice for playing dungeon crawlers, IMO, since you can easily shift your attention between the game and other things).

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

quantumfoam posted:

Cool.
I looked into that Dungeon Master 1/2 revamp last week before deciding to try out Legend of Grimrock 1 for the first time since it came out in 2012.
Ended up bombing out on Grimrock 1 extremely hard. Grimrock 1 being designed around you having to side-stab/backstab enemies & the constant movement dancing required for side-stabs (never managed a backstab) in combat had me extremely bored with everything by mid dungeon-level 3....if I wanted to play a rhythm-combat game I'd have installed Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Bombing out on Grimrock 1 so hard means I am not sure what old-school rpg I'm going to try/retry next: Never tried any of the M&M rpgs, or Wizards Crown, or Daemonsgate, etc.

SFL Archives readthrough continues to bring illumination to design choices in older cRPGs.
A) Someone noted the similarities between Ultima 5 and Lord Foul from the Thomas Covenant books......which makes alot of sense in retrospect now. That I DAMIANO game turned out to be a bizarre quasi-interactive fiction/quasi-cRPG ala Beyond Zork where you had to deal with a morality system.

B) The background setting of the KRONDOR rpg series got explained more. I knew the KRONDOR games were based on Raymond Feist's RIFTWAR series, however the SFL Archives talked about what "inspired" the Riftwars series...An RPG setting Feist helped playtest/design. And that the actually interesting invasion from a bizarre non-standard European fantasy kingdom in Riftwar sequels came from the Tekumel RPG/Empire of Petal Throne sourcebooks. Tekumel had some very try hard dark sourcebooks. sort of curious how much Vampire: The Masquarade was inspired by this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Ebon_Bindings

Didn't the riftwar series have its own rpg rulebook and setting?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Snail Information posted:

Didn't the riftwar series have its own rpg rulebook and setting?

Good question. I remembered that question has come up before in the SFL Archives.
Checked the offsite blog where I've been documenting the various items of interest found during my SFL Archives readthrough attempt,
and the one of the people from SFL Archives 1987 have an answer for that.

It took about 5 minutes to find this email-message after knowing what SFL Archives volume to search in.
------------------------------
Date: 15 Oct 87 16:35:16 GMT
From: mit-eddie!ulowell!cg-atla!hunt@RUTGERS.EDU (Walter Hunt X7031)
Subject: Re: Feist

martin@yale-celray.UUCP (Charles Martin) writes:
>I had the odd feeling while reading _Magician_ that Feist must have
>been familiar with M.A.R. Barker's world of Tekumel (role-playing
>games and two books: _The Man of Gold_ and _Flamesong_). The
>"insectoid" creatures look oddly like Pe Choi, and the general
>milieu of Kelewan (?) seems to bear an odd similarity to Tekumel.
>(There are, of course, common cultural antecedents in India,
>etc---just as there are between Feist and Tolkein in the common
>body of Graeco-Roman and Western European history and myth.)
>
>Anybody else get this feeling? Tolkien's well-known, but I
>would've liked to have seen a credit to Barker if he was a source
>of inspiration.

FYI, Charlie, Feist (like Barker) was involved in role-playing game
design before he became a novelist. He is (or was) president of
Midkemia Games in California, which provided some of the background
for his writings. Mid- kemia produced several pieces of an RPG,
including _Cities_, _Carse_, and _Tulan of the Isles_, all published
between 1977 and 1983, when the company fell beneath the waves, like
so many of its kind (for instance, the one I worked for/with,
Gamelords Ltd.) Barker's milieu Tekumel first appeared in an RPG
around 1975, and wasn't in paperback until much more recently.

Walter H. Hunt
Compugraphic Corporation
decvax!cg-atla!hunt

------------------------------

SFL Archives 1991 (where I am now) goes into detail what Tekumel sourcebooks Feist "borrowed from" wittingly or unwittingly.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
So they made dnd supplements for the book setting? I was sure it was something more substantial. I'm going to dig around in my files and see if I have a scan of it somewhere.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Snail Information posted:

So they made dnd supplements for the book setting? I was sure it was something more substantial. I'm going to dig around in my files and see if I have a scan of it somewhere.

Good luck. Tekumel got licensed out and re-issued at least once by TSR in a boxed set I think, no idea about the RiftWar/KRONDOR setting though..
Am inclined to believe that Walter Hunt guy. A few other long-time SFL posters backed up his MIDKEMIA claim pretty fast back in 1987 & the same goes for the claim about Tekumel material being incorporated into the followup Riftwar series books.

Feist seems to have kept changing his story on the origins of the Riftwar series a few times similar to how Dave Arneson slowly got erased from TSR history, or how Isaac Asimov gradually iced John W Campbell out of the origins of his famous 3 laws of robotics. Some SFL people have fronted the claim that Raymond Feist novelized everything from a longtime homebrew RPG campaign he had a character in(Pug?/one of Pug's parents?), and that the GM who was running that (unnamed) homebrew RPG campaign was the one with a bunch of TSR sourcebooks/non-TSR sourcebooks/Tekumel sourcebooks.

Anyway, computer gaming in the SFL Archives has mostly been throwaway references to games or the occasional recommendation of a computer game/computer game related novelization. Off the top of my head, I remember a few Infocom games, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Bards Tale, Ultima 5, Dungeon Master, one of the first prototypes of a MUD, and I Damiano getting mentioned in the SFL Archives.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

quantumfoam posted:

Feist seems to have kept changing his story on the origins of the Riftwar series a few times similar to how Dave Arneson slowly got erased from TSR history, or how Isaac Asimov gradually iced John W Campbell out of the origins of his famous 3 laws of robotics. Some SFL people have fronted the claim that Raymond Feist novelized everything from a longtime homebrew RPG campaign he had a character in(Pug?/one of Pug's parents?), and that the GM who was running that (unnamed) homebrew RPG campaign was the one with a bunch of TSR sourcebooks/non-TSR sourcebooks/Tekumel sourcebooks.

I'm almost sure this is the case. I think Feist has been open about the setting and a lot of the characters being characters from their gaming sessions. If you've read the books, some of the early characters read like player characters. Thomas and Nakor come to mind. The difference between the early characters that are from a tabletop game and later characters that are more normal like Erik VonDarkmoor is almost jarring at times. It is funny to me that the Betrayal at Krondor series that are companions to the games are really weak in the series. Also there are three books but only two games, and I've always wondered if there was supposed to other games in the series. I played Betrayal at Krondor but got entirely stuck because of the high difficulty (for me). Never tried Return to Krondor but it's downloading tonight.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I've started Gothic and I've gotten to the Old Camp and did the sword quest, but I'm still too poor to afford maps and I'm still at level 0. How do I get money and what are some other easy quests I can do to level up?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dreamsicle posted:

So I've started Gothic and I've gotten to the Old Camp and did the sword quest, but I'm still too poor to afford maps and I'm still at level 0. How do I get money and what are some other easy quests I can do to level up?

There's a swamp cultist missionary in the Old Camp who can take you to his settlement - you will get anyy XP for the things he kills along the way, so that's a pretty good way to get an early boost. Diego will task you with a delivery of a note to the Old Mine- that also involves no combat (if you are careful - leave the OC the way you first came in and follow the road fork leading into the forest) and the mine itself has a bunch of minor quests / loot. Other than that, talk to every named character, most will have something for you to do. And steal everything, collect every plant and such you come across, of course. I also believe you can get a discount on the map, but I don't really remember the specifics. Another good way to earn some quick buck is to buy steel ingots from the smith and forge them into swords using the various stations at his workshop.

Getting enough money to buy your first pair of pants is a major milestone and it can take some time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Armor in this game is super expensive and being able afford a new piece of equipment is a serious step up in survivability and power, so don't feel bad if you find it hard to get there. You're supposed to feel like you have to scrabble for every bit of money and advantage that you can find, especially in the early game. You are lost, frightened, and alone. The game presents itself accordingly.

The BeforeIPlay Gothic page offers a number of good hints and tips:
https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Gothic

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for the tips. I'm just a little worried about venturing out of the camps without any maps since I may get lost without it and end up getting crushed by a lizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You'll probably get crushed by alot of things, but it comes with Gothic.