Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KKKLIP ART posted:

So we got an Ikea Nordli headboard and it uses what is basically a french cleat to attach to the wall. They don't include mounting screws because it is sold worldwide and different places have different wall materials. I am in the US where it is all drywall. What type of screw should I be using, and consindering it is a pretty heavy headboard, what kind of drywall anchor should I be using for areas I don't hit a stud?

EZ Anchor Toggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHb-Tcvkn7M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looks exactly like I need. Standard wood screw for the areas where I can actually hit a stud?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Looks exactly like I need. Standard wood screw for the areas where I can actually hit a stud?

Yes.

For anchoring in open drywall I prefer the Toggler brand. They're nice because they don't fall into the wall if you need to remove the bolt.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yes and I generally predrill a very small hole to make your life easier with beefy screws.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

On a normal household sink faucet setup, with a separate sprayer hose thing: Is there some kind of check valve in the faucet part? I came home tonight, did some dishes, sprayed some water with the hose and heard a "thud" and now nothing but a trickle of water comes out of the faucet itself, but still have full pressure on the sprayer hose. It *sounded* like something clicked shut and didnt open back up, but im not sure what valves are involved in a normal kitchen sink.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cr0y posted:

On a normal household sink faucet setup, with a separate sprayer hose thing: Is there some kind of check valve in the faucet part? I came home tonight, did some dishes, sprayed some water with the hose and heard a "thud" and now nothing but a trickle of water comes out of the faucet itself, but still have full pressure on the sprayer hose. It *sounded* like something clicked shut and didnt open back up, but im not sure what valves are involved in a normal kitchen sink.

Typically that "check valve" is the valve in the handle of the sprayer (like if the sprayer was disconnected from the hose all the water would come out of there). Doesn't sound like that's the case with your particular faucet so you you should get specific about model numbers (if you can find that) or photos.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Motronic posted:

Typically that "check valve" is the valve in the handle of the sprayer (like if the sprayer was disconnected from the hose all the water would come out of there). Doesn't sound like that's the case with your particular faucet so you you should get specific about model numbers (if you can find that) or photos.

It was a tiny pebble worth of mineral buildup blocking the little regulator hole at the tip of the faucet head 😑

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

cr0y posted:

It was a tiny pebble worth of mineral buildup blocking the little regulator hole at the tip of the faucet head 😑

Yup, always worth a quick check for that. Nice going.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

KKKLIP ART posted:

So we got an Ikea Nordli headboard and it uses what is basically a french cleat to attach to the wall. They don't include mounting screws because it is sold worldwide and different places have different wall materials. I am in the US where it is all drywall. What type of screw should I be using, and consindering it is a pretty heavy headboard, what kind of drywall anchor should I be using for areas I don't hit a stud?

I installed the very same headboard a month ago! I ended up getting https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fixa-260-piece-screw-and-plug-set-00169249/ for the drywall anchors, but I made sure that 2 out of the 3 screws of each french cleat was attached to a stud -- I wouldn't feel safe otherwise! See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQx5SVj0biA for why it doesn't matter that much what type of drywall anchor you use -- if there's enough weight on it, the drywall part will fail first.

floWenoL fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 18, 2021

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Meow Meow Meow posted:

What are you trying to do in your garage? Like what's the purpose of heating it? My house has an under house garage similar to yours I found the key to keeping it comfortable was to never open the garage door in the winter (plus making sure it's well sealed, I put in new weatherstrip etc.) Then I just used a a small radiant electrical heater and would point it at myself for woodworking. Usually after 30 minutes or so I would be hot enough to turn the heater off and be fine for quite a while.

Woodworking and home gym, yeah.

It's a 2 car garage, probably ~500 sq ft. I tried the regular space heater thing awhile ago and the cold just laughed at me.

NBD, I have an electrician coming today. Super excited to be getting some real outlets in there, too. So tired of running everything off of the one overhead plug.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

floWenoL posted:

I installed the very same headboard a month ago! I ended up getting https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fixa-260-piece-screw-and-plug-set-00169249/ for the drywall anchors, but I made sure that 2 out of the 3 screws of each french cleat was attached to a stud -- I wouldn't feel safe otherwise! See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQx5SVj0biA for why it doesn't matter that much what type of drywall anchor you use -- if there's enough weight on it, the drywall part will fail first.
Maybe I do it wrong, but as long as whatever I am hanging spans two studs and I can put two screws into a stud, I never put in drywall anchors for anything. So, even if I've got 15 inches at the end of a shelf hanging in space, I just leave it because I figure a screw into a stud is going to be so much more secure than anything in drywall.

I still use an anchor if whatever I am using doesn't span two studs obviously

Have I been doing this wrong for two decades?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

floWenoL posted:

How is that first plug any different from a normal wall plug? The drywall plugs I've seen sold here are nothing like that (for one, they're metal).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Maybe I do it wrong, but as long as whatever I am hanging spans two studs and I can put two screws into a stud, I never put in drywall anchors for anything. So, even if I've got 15 inches at the end of a shelf hanging in space, I just leave it because I figure a screw into a stud is going to be so much more secure than anything in drywall.

If you're wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah the other posters are right, a simple cleat is easier and would be the most secure, since the entire load would be distributed on the studs and not on the drywall.

The damage would also be more minimal.

You can purchase premade french cleats at most hardware stores or online.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

stealie72 posted:

Nope. That's the proper way.

I designed and built these shelves in 2016, using a homemade mounting system that looks dodgy but handled the inevitable Cat Mass Test in the 1990s (on an earlier shelf project in the 1990s) so I still use it. Hitting studs is a requirement for it to remain robust, so the ends of my angle brackets occasionally extend past the shelf plane

In the image below, you can see the angle iron (actually aluminum) peeking out from the top shelf right side & bottom left below the window. (the shelves above it are reflected in the trim paint)

(edit): this replaced the clunky & too-large IKEA set we put up in 1993, which covered part of the window. I was going to take it apart and cut down the short-side shelves. I decided gently caress it, we need something better.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 18, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How did you do the cool retro aluminum edge banding?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I bought it from a retailer in Astoria, Queens: New York Metal. Fortunately, I knew I was going to be in the area handling commercial claims, so I ordered ahead & picked up what I needed in 10' lengths.

They ship, but I think 8-LF is the maximum shippable length, and since they have to build a box with a wooden stiffener, the shipping is hideously expensive...but on the east coast, it's the only place I could find.

https://www.newyorkmetal.com/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Woodworking and home gym, yeah.

It's a 2 car garage, probably ~500 sq ft. I tried the regular space heater thing awhile ago and the cold just laughed at me.

NBD, I have an electrician coming today. Super excited to be getting some real outlets in there, too. So tired of running everything off of the one overhead plug.

If your main panel isn't in the garage have them put in a small sub panel with room for a car charger. The cost shouldn't go up much - the big labor component is fishing wire to your main. 100A or bust.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

If your main panel isn't in the garage have them put in a small sub panel with room for a car charger. The cost shouldn't go up much - the big labor component is fishing wire to your main. 100A or bust.

I have a (100A) subpanel in the master bedroom above the garage, so I'm hopeful it won't be too hard to run from there. There's plenty of room in that panel.

The main panel (that I upgraded to 200A when I bought the house 3y ago) is on the other end of the house. Running a circuit from there would be... not easy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have a (100A) subpanel in the master bedroom above the garage, so I'm hopeful it won't be too hard to run from there.

If your definition of "not too hard" includes trenching drywall and then patching no....it won't be hard. But there's almost definitely gonna be some drywall that needs cutting.

What a strange place to put the subpanel. Was the master added in a reno?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

If your definition of "not too hard" includes trenching drywall and then patching no....it won't be hard. But there's almost definitely gonna be some drywall that needs cutting.

What a strange place to put the subpanel. Was the master added in a reno?

Pre-fab housing. There are a number of... idiosyncrasies of owning this. They didn't use drywall, it's all paneling (when I completely reno'd the finished basement, I ripped out all the paneling and drop ceiling and redid everything with mold-reistant drywall.) The subpanel is in its own little column, so I'm hoping he'll be able to drill straight down from the panel into the garage and run circuits from there. Guess I'll find out in a few hours!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pre-fab housing. There are a number of... idiosyncrasies of owning this. They didn't use drywall, it's all paneling (when I completely reno'd the finished basement, I ripped out all the paneling and drop ceiling and redid everything with mold-reistant drywall.) The subpanel is in its own little column, so I'm hoping he'll be able to drill straight down from the panel into the garage and run circuits from there. Guess I'll find out in a few hours!

Yeah, I mean....assuming this is built relatively like normal stick construction as long as he can get access to drill through the sole plate in the same stud bay as the panel it should be fine.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I don't think he'll even need to go through the sill plate is what I'm saying. Check it out:

Bump out for panel.

Bottom of bump out.

This should probably be in the electrical thread.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't think he'll even need to go through the sill plate is what I'm saying. Check it out:

Bump out for panel.

Bottom of bump out.

This should probably be in the electrical thread.

Holy poo poo is your house a fire hazard, with all wood paneling like that.

That sub-panel install looks terrible, those wires shouldn't be loose, for one.

There are other issues, but maybe ask the electrician to clean things up around that panel at least?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wow that all looks like absolute poo poo. If I walked up to a panel like that I wouldn't do the work you're looking for because gently caress being the last person to touch that thing.

That should be in the crappy construction thread, not the electrical one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I have a (100A) subpanel in the master bedroom above the garage, so I'm hopeful it won't be too hard to run from there. There's plenty of room in that panel.

The main panel (that I upgraded to 200A when I bought the house 3y ago) is on the other end of the house. Running a circuit from there would be... not easy.

Sounds fine. Re: pictures I take a less hostile approach. Ask your electrician to clean up the stapling and double check the interior of it. It's clamped for the entry to the panel and the mains appear to be in conduit.

Way better than the sub we had in my parents house for the addition which was 100a with a single branch for the whole addition and the ground was just floating in the outlet boxes. If you breathed on the breaker it opened, was amusing. Oh and there were like 4ish breakers installed and labeled, they went nowhere.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 18, 2021

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo is your house a fire hazard, with all wood paneling like that.

That sub-panel install looks terrible, those wires shouldn't be loose, for one.

There are other issues, but maybe ask the electrician to clean things up around that panel at least?

Will do. (Ask me about the literal fire hazard I found opening the walls in the basement, where mice had chewed some wiring and scorched some wood/insulation.)

Those loose wires run to the heat tape the PO installed (had installed? Idk, probably a DIY). The rest of the panel is original work, and fine I think? I can take a picture later when wife is finished with work for the day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Will do. (Ask me about the literal fire hazard I found opening the walls in the basement, where mice had chewed some wiring and scorched some wood/insulation.)

Those loose wires run to the heat tape the PO installed (had installed? Idk, probably a DIY). The rest of the panel is original work, and fine I think? I can take a picture later when wife is finished with work for the day.

Ah, PO fuckery is the best option here, hopefully the interior is done well.

That panel shouldn't be in a chase like that, and you can tell by the flush mount cover and original conduit that the chase probably came after the panel.

It's not the WORST safety hazard ever.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
So, looking again for the first time in 3 years, I think my memory of this box is not how I pictured it. I definitely do remember the inspection report saying it was fine, other than the wires coming out the top. Maybe I can dig that out again.

Electrician should be here shortly, we'll see what he has to say.

eta: Electrician isn't worried about panel, can put a trench below this panel to funnel wiring into conduit in garage. Panel doesn't have enough space to run all the outlets I wanted, but enough to still make it worth doing (heater circuit, one 220, one 110)

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I imagine that this thing is doing a Hank Hill AUUUGGHHHH!!!

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Is there a home networking thread? I have what I think is a really simple job of wiring two bedrooms with network jacks, but I'd like some insight/advice/ tips from people who have done it before.

Here's the plan - get up in the attic, run two 75 foot cables (~45ft horizontal run plus ~9 vertical ft on each end) from the modem/network switch to each bedroom. The locations of the drops shown are where the coax drops are now, we don't have a need for those any more, so my plan is to follow those drops down and replace the coax plates with ethernet plates. Is there anything I'm not thinking about, or is it as easy as it is in my head (I know it won't be)? I know I'll have insulation to deal with, and the drops are on exterior walls, but I figure if someone already ran drops with coax, ethernet should be just as easy. Right?.....

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sneeing Emu posted:

Is there a home networking thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319&pagenumber=549&perpage=40

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

stealie72 posted:

Probably not, I'm just a noob! I put in the drywall studs for a vague belt-and-(crappy)-suspenders reason, but it's possible that putting in the drywall anchor is worse than just leaving it with two studs.

I guess my point was that two studs is the minimum I'd feel comfortable with w.r.t. this headboard.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How is that first plug any different from a normal wall plug? The drywall plugs I've seen sold here are nothing like that (for one, they're metal).

By 'first plug' you mean the Ikea one I linked? I don't think it's particularly special, but I got it since at the time I wasn't going out anywhere, and I figure if I were to order some plugs sight unseen the Ikea set would have a good chance of being the ones that would work with this headboard.

FWIW, it's pretty common here (in the US) for drywall plugs to be plastic instead of metal.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sneeing Emu posted:

Is there a home networking thread? I have what I think is a really simple job of wiring two bedrooms with network jacks, but I'd like some insight/advice/ tips from people who have done it before.

Here's the plan - get up in the attic, run two 75 foot cables (~45ft horizontal run plus ~9 vertical ft on each end) from the modem/network switch to each bedroom. The locations of the drops shown are where the coax drops are now, we don't have a need for those any more, so my plan is to follow those drops down and replace the coax plates with ethernet plates. Is there anything I'm not thinking about, or is it as easy as it is in my head (I know it won't be)? I know I'll have insulation to deal with, and the drops are on exterior walls, but I figure if someone already ran drops with coax, ethernet should be just as easy. Right?.....

Quite often with coax, it’s just crappy installers drilling straight through exterior walls and won’t be of any help running new wiring. If it is a good run you want to replace, tape the cat5e/cat6 spool to the end of the coax, and have two people (one at each terminus) helping feed the wire through the run. Also tape a spool of twine so you’re running ethernet + an extra rope to pull more down the line. Fish tape and push sticks might be helpful if you can’t just yank the coax out and use it to pull the new wiring.

Also get a patch panel and punchdown tool so you have a fixed terminus at your modem/network rack. And it sounds like you want to just buy two 75’ cables. Don’t do that, get a spool of cat6 or cat5e and crimp your own heads on there. It’s easier to pull, doesn’t get snagged, and you get the exact length you need. Be sure to leave a few loops extra on the end in case you ever need to move your rack or patch panel.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

OSU_Matthew posted:

Quite often with coax, it’s just crappy installers drilling straight through exterior walls and won’t be of any help running new wiring. If it is a good run you want to replace, tape the cat5e/cat6 spool to the end of the coax, and have two people (one at each terminus) helping feed the wire through the run. Also tape a spool of twine so you’re running ethernet + an extra rope to pull more down the line. Fish tape and push sticks might be helpful if you can’t just yank the coax out and use it to pull the new wiring.

Also get a patch panel and punchdown tool so you have a fixed terminus at your modem/network rack. And it sounds like you want to just buy two 75’ cables. Don’t do that, get a spool of cat6 or cat5e and crimp your own heads on there. It’s easier to pull, doesn’t get snagged, and you get the exact length you need. Be sure to leave a few loops extra on the end in case you ever need to move your rack or patch panel.

I posted in the networking thread, and they suggested I use MoCA adapters instead of running new cables, which sounds ideal for this situation. Each room already has a coax terminal, and we don't have cable TV, just internet, so it sounds pretty plug and play friendly, and much less labor and frustration. We'll see how it goes, thanks for the tips!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sneeing Emu posted:

I posted in the networking thread, and they suggested I use MoCA adapters instead of running new cables, which sounds ideal for this situation. Each room already has a coax terminal, and we don't have cable TV, just internet, so it sounds pretty plug and play friendly, and much less labor and frustration. We'll see how it goes, thanks for the tips!

Make sure that your existing coax cables actually carry a sufficient signal. Get a coax cable tester before you drop $$ on MoCA adapters. I just tried MoCA for my existing coax cable runs but it turns out the original installer used poor quality cable which also degraded with age (it was poorly and violently routed). So while it could carry a signal sufficient for cable television it couldn't pass a proper signal for cable Internet.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 20, 2021

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Just got a kerosene heater for my wood shop. Is there anyway to avoid spending $10 a gallon on K-1 kerosene? Is gas station kerosene really not an option? Any other way to lower the cost to run this thing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Just got a kerosene heater for my wood shop. Is there anyway to avoid spending $10 a gallon on K-1 kerosene? Is gas station kerosene really not an option? Any other way to lower the cost to run this thing?

I thought gas stations typically sold K-1 kerosene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I’ve never been to a gas station that sold kerosene, or I had no idea that any gas stations sold kerosene, can pick which I guess.

We talking like one of those big heavy heaters that look like jet engines?