Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm planning to dump my 1080TI soon. Am I going to have trouble selling on eBay if my account is fresh?

Probably not. It'd get snapped up fast in the SA Mart, if you're willing to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

E2M2 posted:

I don't get why you would pay like $300 for a 1660 Super when you can get a 3070 for $500. I mean stock is hosed right now, but poo poo.

I mean, what use is an MSRP when your ability to buy the card is essentially based upon a lottery and a lot of luck?

mA fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 1, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Sorry to Kramer into a thread that seems to already be discussing my question, but I only look at hardware every five years or so. I'm replacing RAM and figured I'd upgrade my GTX 960 while I'm in there.

- What the gently caress is going on with GPU prices? Crypto? Supply? COVID???

- When will it stop?

The card isn't terrible (from my perspective), it's just beginning to show its age. Is there anything better below $250 in these crazy times?

edit: I just looked up the price of my current card and it's $250-300, so I guess the answer is no.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 1, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

The card isn't terrible (from my perspective), it's just beginning to show its age. Is there anything better below $250 in these crazy times?

No.

$350 if you can get lucky.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

BrianRx posted:

Sorry to Kramer into a thread that seems to already be discussing my question, but I only look at hardware every five years or so. I'm replacing RAM and figured I'd upgrade my GTX 960 while I'm in there.

- When will it stop?

I gave up on trying to get a PS5 due to shortage issues and was like, "gently caress it, I'll just build a gaming pc instead."

Welp. :suicide:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

BrianRx posted:

Yes

quote:

- When will it stop?
Not for at least several more months, but used prices will probably gradually go down as more people get vaccinated and it gets warmer out. Unless crypto explodes some more, in which case, hope that GTX 960 has a lifetime warranty.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

No.

$350 if you can get lucky.

uuuuuugggggghhhhhhh

B B posted:

I gave up on trying to get a PS5 due to shortage issues and was like, "gently caress it, I'll just build a gaming pc instead."

WHY ARE THEY MAKING IT SO HARD TO BUY THINGS WE DON'T NEED

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Add tariffs to the mix and baby, you got a stew goin

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

Another look at where we stand with raytracing this console gen (and RDNA2 in general)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vn9LXYdyfI

tl;dw: 1440p 30fps with some dips, most non-RT settings on low or medium, opaque and translucent RT reflections are both enabled but with lower quality than on PC

it's fine if you can live with 30fps i guess but i'd take the 60fps mode without RT any day

Yeah that video was kinda sad. Even with checkboard rendering and the lowest of low settings. those AMD SOCs croak when you turn on RT features.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MH Knights posted:

I feel dumb for not getting rid of my EVGA 1070ti yet.

I just took my 1080 TI out of storage to sell. I'm usually a hoarder-not-a-seller but this is just too insane not to sell.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

BrianRx posted:

- When will it stop?

edit: I just looked up the price of my current card and it's $250-300, so I guess the answer is no.

There's probably always going to be some sort of shortage when it comes to various PC components. GPUs have been the component getting hosed right now and it looks like it's a combination of bitcoin value going up, COVID purchasing, GDDR6 supply chain problems, and Trump tariffs (trade wars are easy :chaostrump: ). You can wait for bitcoin value to go down again, the new admin to remove tariffs, and/or nvidia/AMD to ramp up production in hopes that prices may come down some by the second half of the year.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Germany is lobbying Taiwan to get TSMC to focus production on automotive chips in exchange for expedited vaccine deliveries, in case you haven't heard a more dystopian headline for the day.

https://wccftech.com/tsmcs-chip-for-vaccine-swap-to-delay-integrated-circuit-chip-production/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Inept posted:

Not for at least several more months, but used prices will probably gradually go down as more people get vaccinated and it gets warmer out. Unless crypto explodes some more, in which case, hope that GTX 960 has a lifetime warranty.

Additional waves of stimulus checks probably won't help. For a lot of people that money will be essential, but for a bunch of others it's just extra disposable income.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Shipon posted:

Germany is lobbying Taiwan to get TSMC to focus production on automotive chips in exchange for expedited vaccine deliveries, in case you haven't heard a more dystopian headline for the day.

https://wccftech.com/tsmcs-chip-for-vaccine-swap-to-delay-integrated-circuit-chip-production/

They should absolutely do this if it will save a single life, and at the same time, I am sad that I will probably never get a 3080.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol, Germany probably needs those vaccines more than Taiwan if you've been following the COVID news (or lack thereof) for the latter

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

PC-equivalent settings for Control on PS5

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

They should absolutely do this if it will save a single life

it's not like that wouldn't come at the cost of potentially not saving other lives

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The 30-series is made by Samsung, not TSMC. The refresh that we're probably not going to see for 9-12/18 months will be made by TSMC.

But, ~a rising tide lifts all boats~. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 2, 2021

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I just spent all day putting together my system and getting it running, the system is Ryzen 5600x, 3070 FE inside a Meshify C case. I do have two fans in the front for intake and three for exhaust (1 in the back and 2 up top), I mostly play World of Warcraft and Overwatch, the first thing I did once getting some drivers and stuff installed was let Geforce Experience set WoW settings to the recommended max and tried it out for a bit, should I be worried about max value CPU readings of around 72c, with the cpu cooler fan max value @ 1800 and GPU max value temp at 78c with both fans around 2300 rpm? (Have to also say I don't feel like I was 'pushing it', I tested this temp run out in a epic battleground)

I feel like my 970 which was dusty as gently caress didn't reach these temps but the settings of course weren't maxed out and were much, much lower.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

iroguebot posted:

I just spent all day putting together my system and getting it running, the system is Ryzen 5600x, 3070 FE inside a Meshify C case. I do have two fans in the front for intake and three for exhaust (1 in the back and 2 up top), I mostly play World of Warcraft and Overwatch, the first thing I did once getting some drivers and stuff installed was let Geforce Experience set WoW settings to the recommended max and tried it out for a bit, should I be worried about max value CPU readings of around 72c, with the cpu cooler fan max value @ 1800 and GPU max value temp at 78c with both fans around 2300 rpm? (Have to also say I don't feel like I was 'pushing it', I tested this temp run out in a epic battleground)

I feel like my 970 which was dusty as gently caress didn't reach these temps but the settings of course weren't maxed out and were much, much lower.

Those all sounds pretty decent as temps go for these components - pretty sure my 3600 mazes out around 74 Celsius, and that's with a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 plopped on it with two fans. Thermal density at 7nm is very real. Undervolting may be worth a try for the 3070.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

PC-equivalent settings for Control on PS5

I feel like more console games would look (and run) nicer with AA disabled. That and motion blur seem to be the thing always on by default on console - and the game is usually worse for it. AA seemed to make more sense when I was playing at a resolution below 1080p, but at 1440p the jaggies aren’t too noticeable for me like they once were. Does that become less so at 4k?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

I feel like more console games would look (and run) nicer with AA disabled. That and motion blur seem to be the thing always on by default on console - and the game is usually worse for it. AA seemed to make more sense when I was playing at a resolution below 1080p, but at 1440p the jaggies aren’t too noticeable for me like they once were. Does that become less so at 4k?

I think the forced motion blur is so console gamers don't pick up on how bad the graphics and framerate are.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

B B posted:

I went the opposite way. I paid $500 for a 3070 and just traded it for a PS5 because PC gaming is way too expensive now. Plus I got way less time to gently caress around with configs. Easier to just buy 1 console and be set for like 8 years.

Also I probably took an L because 3070s are selling for $750 now?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

buglord posted:

Nope, AA is still as important than ever even at high resolution. Temporal aliasing is a big issue in IQ for overall image stability that isn't solved by more pixels. Temporal Aliasing is generally worse at higher resolution than lower resolution since temporal aliasing is an effect of not producing enough frames per second to smooth out the image. Many modern engines are also dependent on TAA being on for graphics to display properly, your average game engine is now is deferred rendering, which generates your image from multiple separate frames. You need a TAA solution to make that not look like poo poo in motion with pixel creeping and other anomalies. TAA softens the image, but game developers are getting better at fixing that with a post processing sharpening pass that cleans up the image.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

E2M2 posted:

I went the opposite way. I paid $500 for a 3070 and just traded it for a PS5 because PC gaming is way too expensive now. Plus I got way less time to gently caress around with configs. Easier to just buy 1 console and be set for like 8 years.

Also I probably took an L because 3070s are selling for $750 now?
Yeah everything has gone up. Partly due to the tariff exemptions ending for things like computer components.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

*looks at 1080*

Hang in there little buddy. Hang in there for another year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finally an Ampere haver. drat, the 3090 is a chunky boy. I normally also give the hand-me-downs to Mrs. Slidebite, but due to this GPU craziness, I'll probably just sell the Evga 1080ti.

Also, pleasantly surprised how quiet it is. At least as quiet, maybe even quieter than my 1080ti. And so far not a hint of coil whine at all. I have all 3 power leads on their own dedicated cable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Techpowerup is reporting a rumor that AMD might be tapping Samsung for manufacturing future GPUs and APUs

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that still a rumor? I thought it was pretty widely reported or was that intel and everyone is going to be using samsung now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

is that still a rumor? I thought it was pretty widely reported or was that intel and everyone is going to be using samsung now?

NVidia is using Samsung for Ampere, but uses TSMC for its server/workstation GPUs. There was a rumor last year that they might want to use TSMC either for an Ampere refresh or to just expand capacity.

Intel is using its own fabs, but will reportedly use TSMC for its later Xe GPUs

AMD uses TSMC for just about everything (except i/o dies), but has an existing relationship with Samsung for mobile GPUs. This newest rumor would seem to indicate that they want to expand that relationship to other products.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Nope, AA is still as important than ever even at high resolution. Temporal aliasing is a big issue in IQ for overall image stability that isn't solved by more pixels. Temporal Aliasing is generally worse at higher resolution than lower resolution since temporal aliasing is an effect of not producing enough frames per second to smooth out the image. Many modern engines are also dependent on TAA being on for graphics to display properly, your average game engine is now is deferred rendering, which generates your image from multiple separate frames. You need a TAA solution to make that not look like poo poo in motion with pixel creeping and other anomalies. TAA softens the image, but game developers are getting better at fixing that with a post processing sharpening pass that cleans up the image.

TAA is also pretty cheap as far as antialiasing techniques go, so you don’t even gain that much performance from disabling it as you would for something like volumetric fog. In most modern games it’s just an invitation to make everything look worse for no reason.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

iroguebot posted:

Yeah, the ryzen chips run real hot! It's normal. Slap an aftermarket cooler on there if you'd like to bring the temperature down some and hit the boost clock more (and reduce the noise levels), but for those games it's probably not worth stressing about.

You probably want more intake than exhaust, which will reduce dust buildup (someone please correct me if I've got this the wrong way round).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

According to AMD load temps of up to 95C on the Ryzen 5600x are within normal expected operating range. It's doubtful your chip will ever get that hot while gaming, but if you're coming off an i5 it can be surprising to see spikes into the 70s and 80s. I got one of those fuckoff Noctua coolers and temps can still shoot up to 80C sometimes.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I had a zotac 3090 in my cart earlier today, but didn't pull the trigger. I really don't want to pay 40% more for 15% gain vs the 3080. Just can't justify it.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 2, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
jeez is it worth trying to sell my 6 year old gtx 970 at this point

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Verviticus posted:

jeez is it worth trying to sell my 6 year old gtx 970 at this point

If you want $100-$150, yes https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=GTX+970&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Edit: christ, there are some that sold for $180

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is it normal for the backplate on a 6900xt to get too hot to touch while under only moderate load?

it also idles at 50+ degrees but that's probably normal what with the fans not spinning when idle.

i'm gonna let the card run for a couple weeks before i disassemble it but my last gpu was a 980ti, i have no point of reference for what's normal these days

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

is it normal for the backplate on a 6900xt to get too hot to touch while under only moderate load?

it also idles at 50+ degrees but that's probably normal what with the fans not spinning when idle.

i'm gonna let the card run for a couple weeks before i disassemble it but my last gpu was a 980ti, i have no point of reference for what's normal these days

I can tell you my 3090 idles in the mid to low 30s without the fan on, 50c seems awfully hot for “idle”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sweeper posted:

I can tell you my 3090 idles in the mid to low 30s without the fan on, 50c seems awfully hot for “idle”

Most cards won't even spin the fans until the GPU hits 60C, it's totally normal if you're just using the default fan profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Truga posted:

Backplates act as heat sinks, so yes