Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Rough afternoon for homan after some great finesse curling last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Happy curling day in Canada my friends.

Really hoping einarson can pull off a victory here so Walker can move on, but it's not looking good.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slung Blade posted:

Happy curling day in Canada my friends.

Really hoping einarson can pull off a victory here so Walker can move on, but it's not looking good.

Walker beat Jones once she can do it again :colbert:

3 ends in edit: welp maybe not

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 28, 2021

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm hoping she can catch up. Good game so far though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Heck of a second half to even have this chance in the 10th for sure

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
She did it!

With a little help from Jones there on the missed double

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah holy poo poo that was incredible to watch.

This match with Einarson is going to be rough, off to a good start.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Brutal 6th for Alberta :rip:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Qwijib0 posted:

Brutal 6th for Alberta :rip:

Yeah, could have been a lot worse though. :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Einarson is relentless. The final is going to be wild

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat now this is getting exciting.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

drat now this is getting exciting.

Entertaining as all get out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just tuned in and maaaaan what a way to end this tournament

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Super great game played by Einarson. Homan just couldn’t figure out the ice. Plus that super unfortunate pick in the 10th didn’t help.

Now we have to wait all the way until Saturday for the Brier

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that was a lot of fun, great to watch some new curling on tv.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Powershift posted:

Super great game played by Einarson. Homan just couldn’t figure out the ice. Plus that super unfortunate pick in the 10th didn’t help.

Now we have to wait all the way until Saturday for the Brier

Starts Friday at 8:30 EST

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Waiting with bated breath to see if the eye on the hog equipment shows up.

Honestly I hope it doesn't-- there is something innately curling about just being on the honor system in the sport's championship.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Qwijib0 posted:

Waiting with bated breath to see if the eye on the hog equipment shows up.

Honestly I hope it doesn't-- there is something innately curling about just being on the honor system in the sport's championship.

Yeah what's the story on that? I totally missed why they weren't using the electronic sensors this time. Were they stuck in transit or something?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah what's the story on that? I totally missed why they weren't using the electronic sensors this time. Were they stuck in transit or something?

iirc the broadcast said there were supply chain issues with some of the parts they needed. Which conjured up a funny image in my head of some engineer soldering together 200 stone handles from scratch before every tournament but isn’t a good explanation other than to say “COVID did it”

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

iirc the broadcast said there were supply chain issues with some of the parts they needed. Which conjured up a funny image in my head of some engineer soldering together 200 stone handles from scratch before every tournament but isn’t a good explanation other than to say “COVID did it”

Yeah, it's generic chip shortage related

https://twitter.com/Devin_Heroux/status/1362951297020932096

my question (and also one of the replies unanswered) is why are last year's handles not suitable for use, why did they need new ones.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah that’s what I was thinking with my little imagined scenario too, like every year they need to replace the guts of these things? Are they like those dog lights you buy on Amazon that you have to throw out when the battery dies?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That's crazy. They should absolutely be able to reuse them.

Maybe they donate last year's models to some random club at the end of the pro season. I think they do that with a lot of their equipment.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Maybe they donate last year's models to some random club at the end of the pro season. I think they do that with a lot of their equipment.

Maybe they’re leaving them at the host venue for future use. But some variation of they no longer have last years models makes the most sense.

Or they are on a multi-year replacement cycle and happened to get unlucky that this was the year, but in that case they still should have been able to dig them out of storage.

Or maybe it’s something really dumb like non-replaceable batteries.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I think they use new rocks every year, and probably just didn't think it would be a problem

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Duck Rodgers posted:

I think they use new rocks every year, and probably just didn't think it would be a problem

They might now but in the past Curling Canada had several sets of rocks that rotated between the various events for a few years. Then they'd get sold to a provincial curling association where they'd be used for provincials. And then those might eventually get to a curling club. Now that they have the granite inserts, they might change out the inserts every year or maybe even every event.

Had to work over the weekend so just caught up on curling this morning and that was a drat good Scotties. Quebec and Alberta were exciting as hell to watch and that final was a great game. People were definitely shaking off some cobwebs at the beginning of the week but the percentages were pretty close to normal by the end. Still a few more flashes than you'd normally see.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

More curling! Women’s worlds are uncanceled and will now start April 30.

https://www.tsn.ca/women-s-world-curling-championship-back-on-calendar-added-to-calgary-bubble-1.1603022

I wonder what would have happened if Homan had won. She’d have just popped her kid out and probably still recovering. Would the rest of her team go without her? Does everyone just move up a spot or would they have to find a new skip?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

pseudodragon posted:

More curling! Women’s worlds are uncanceled and will now start April 30.

https://www.tsn.ca/women-s-world-curling-championship-back-on-calendar-added-to-calgary-bubble-1.1603022

I wonder what would have happened if Homan had won. She’d have just popped her kid out and probably still recovering. Would the rest of her team go without her? Does everyone just move up a spot or would they have to find a new skip?

That is really cool news! I felt bad for Einarson winning two Canadian championships but not getting to go to a single World's.

If Homan had won I think she would have curled. I'm guessing she would have thrown second or third stones and let Miskew throw last stones. They're such a unique team with their deliveries and strategy that I don't think you could add a player last minute.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Einarson was guaranteed the spot in this season's World's regardless of if she won the Scotties.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Reminder there's Brier tonight

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I freaking love curling.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Looks like no electronic handles

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So uh, I guess the dudes really took notes on the Scotties because wow they're on it.

EDIT: Oh and there's a flash.

EDIT2: and it's completely new ice...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 6, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

So uh, I guess the dudes really took notes on the Scotties because wow they're on it.

EDIT: Oh and there's a flash.

EDIT2: and it's completely new ice...

I was commenting that they redid the ice just to change the ads underneath at the start and then they showed how much work it was. Crazy

Some questionable decisions here by Epping.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I was commenting that they redid the ice just to change the ads underneath at the start and then they showed how much work it was. Crazy

Some questionable decisions here by Epping.

It is a heck of a process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50cSDUIDMuM

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

That was way more complicated and drawn out than I expected.

I had wondered how they got the house with the concentric rings perfect. The four routers on an aluminum channel was cool.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh bottcher, two awful misses cost em the game

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I forgot about this thread when I was watching the Scotties, but I'm 100% on Team Bottcher and I can't believe how he managed to throw that one away.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Qwijib0 posted:

Oh bottcher, two awful misses cost em the game

I was so hyped to make my coffee and watch the game and then that final end broke my heart. It wasn't even a "typical" Bottcher error where he boxes himself into needing to make a perfect shot, he just...whiffed. :smith:

EDIT: Oh he's playing mad tonight.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not sure what Jacobs was thinking blanking the 9th down 2. Especially having barely any draws in the game.

Botcher putting up 13 in his game though, drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Epping does not look good at all this morning