Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That was not a very long break!

I've never seen this before so i'm somewhat interested to see where it goes, but uh. Perhaps less so knowing that it will be tainted by Roxanne's bungling. :negative:

I like the option to just talk down the encounters, but that key ring icon hella sticks out. And, it's weird seeing Imoen as a non-playable character. Even if you did just canonically dualclass, you'll gain exp for that new class faster in the party, you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just started BG2 and there's so much Imoen dialog I don't remember and that I feel like must be new in EE. Is there a list of what exactly is new in the EE stuff anywhere?

Also it's gonna be painful whiplash because Imoen's dialog in here is loving haunting. And then we look at Sandrah's Imoen...

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh my god, Imoen talks like a human being. Not a single 'besta' to be seen. Praise Bhaal.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Never seen siege of dragonspear, so this should be news to me

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Chapter LXXV - Poisoned weapons as far as I can say.

Finally, some deserved rest. I have no idea why Sandrah's sleeping on the floor.

Imoen wakes us up claiming to hear noises. Might as well follow her.

Imoen, no! :negative:

The Flaming Fist captain arrives too late to help us during the battle.

One of them was carrying this, more assassins?

Sandrah remembers she has to stay ahead of the plot just in time.

Our gear is stored in nearby chests but we have to go to the treasury to get our gold.

With Imoen in good hands we head downstairs.

Oh God, the gibs can talk!

We head downstairs once more.

Entar Silvershield has a (poorly attempted) French accent while Belt sounds like an auto-generated voice for some reason.

Anyway, it seems like we're accompanying the army to hunt down Caelar Argent! :black101:

Before heading out we should talk to everyone.

Our trusted counselor approaches us first, letting us know that she saw this all coming. Could Caelar really be a Bhaalspawn?

Hey, she looks familiar...

Oh, it's Skie! Looks like she has something to hide...

This guy needs some cheering up.

We manage to do just that, getting some information and a quarterstaff to boot!

Allo Allo had better French accents...

Eltan seems to have recovered.

Seems like Imoen is out for this expansion, oh well. :smith:

It can't be overstated how much he sounds like a robot, and apparently it's his regular voice. :gonk:

Looks like we can pick up some companions while we're in the city, let's head to the basement first though. I need my money.

Korlasz tries to break out and claims to have been tortured, leading to her swift death. Not sure why I decided to act like an idiot to the Flaming Fist guy.

Someone claims to be trapped behind a locked door.

He tries to run away but we give him a twack just in case.

Bingo.

He's friendly enough to go back to his cell, locking the door behind him.

Ophyllis manages to misplace our 300.000 or so gold pieces. He'd better get them back! :argh:

Nothing left to do but head out, I guess.

I originally wanted to cover the entirety of Baldur's Gate in one chapter but it'd just be too large. This seems like a good place to end things for now.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 7, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I HATE the portrait of Skie this mod uses. It looks like an awful photoshop of a weird child gremlin.

Entar Silvershield's inexplicable accent will never stop cracking me up, it's so bad I actually went "maybe they're trying for Belgian and missing the planet earth?"

Everyone: Serious scene
Entar: *speaks*
My brain: OUI OUI OUI HON HON HON

(PS: If you look at Korlasz's cell and click the ?, it actually shows signs of torture there. I thought it weird I couldn't say anything to anyone about it, but I hear this DLC suffered from higher ups telling them to cut things repeatedly.)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

Entar Silvershield's inexplicable accent will never stop cracking me up, it's so bad I actually went "maybe they're trying for Belgian and missing the planet earth?"

Everyone: Serious scene
Entar: *speaks*
My brain: OUI OUI OUI HON HON HON

I really have no idea what Beamdog was thinking with that one.

quote:

(PS: If you look at Korlasz's cell and click the ?, it actually shows signs of torture there. I thought it weird I couldn't say anything to anyone about it, but I hear this DLC suffered from higher ups telling them to cut things repeatedly.)

God drat it, how could I miss that one? :negative:

Next chapter will be up soon, it might be the longest one yet with only one Sandrah banter to show for it.

Lysan Lurraxol
Jun 27, 2013
I replayed Dragonspear for the first time in the depths of lockdown & came out with a much better impression of it (for the most part) than I had first go. Korlasz and the Ducal Palace neocon interrogation techniques is one of the more baffling subplots though. If you can't follow up on it, why not just cut it?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The signs are also there if you kill Korlasz in the tomb, either on purpose or accidentally because there happened to be arrows and magic missiles flying her way right as she surrendered, despite her never getting to see the cell. No idea what that's all about.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LXXVI - We will keep all these sweet moments we had with her in our common memory.

This PID with Sandrah happened back in Korlasz's tomb, I put it here just so we could have some Sandrah content.

That's right, no Sandrah content this chapter. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Baldur's Gate has become a pretty crowded place. Refugees are trying to enter the Ducal Palace but the guards push them back.

(Small aside, I remember reading in an interview that when trying to update Baldur's Gate for Siege of Dragonspear they found out that the paving stones were actually repurposed skull textures, this is why Baldur's Gate has fancy new streets)

Ophyllis managed to misplace our money. Again. :argh:

To Sorcerous Sundries it is, then!

Our world map for this chapter.

We almost get robbed as soon as we enter the area, it didn't end well for her.

Well, that was easy.

Let's see if we can't do some good here.

Corwin's such a worry-wart.

Fetching potion bottles now? Very well...

Talk about lovely timing, we deal with them and go back downstairs.

Another good deed done. :)

Hey, look who it is!

Seems like he won't be joining us. Too bad.

I guess we can put in a good word for him.

Far out, man!

Putting them on lets us see various creatures that we can pull through to this world. Normally you only get three uses but I'm determined to show them all to you.

This guy isn't friendly, killing him nets us some experience. Big whoop.

Time to head upstairs.

Is that...?

Quite the dynamic duo.

Coran leaves us, not even mentioning his relationships with Sandrah and Vichan. And to think I was thinking of bearing his child. :negative:

At least Safana's willing to join us. :toot:

She has a new voiceset, I had to look it up but she's voiced by someone else this time around. I didn't notice.

We ask Garrick to regale us with a tale and head out.

Maybe Tiax has forgiven us for leaving him in the lurch like that?

A rogue stone's worth 2500 GP, not bad for such a small encounter. (I'm pretty sure the gem you get is random, guess I got lucky)

The doors fly open and this guy gets thrown out, screenshots don't do it justice.

Interesting, too bad he passes out before getting to the good stuff.

Anyway, time to head in.

I failed to screenshot this but every cell is occupied with someone. Looks like the Flaming Fist has been quite busy dealing with the refugees.

Every small bit helps.

If Tiax had any marbles left to begin with he's surely lost them now, he won't be coming with us.

Next up is the Three Kegs.

Did you know that Corwin reacts to the party members you pick up if you talk to her at the entrance? I didn't, instead I'm focussing on these piddling encounters.

Drake! :swoon:

We take him with us, which would prove to be a mistake later on.

We make sure to get the crier his refreshment before heading upstairs.

These assholes managed to spend all my money, great. At least my vast fortune went to the people that needed it the most. :gbsmith:

On the top floor we stumble into a conspiracy against the Council of Four. Let's play along and see where it takes us.

Minsc! :3:

Dynaheir! :swoon:

Both have new voicesets by their original voice actors. They do a decent job. Not that you'd expect anything less from Jim Cummings and Jennifer Hale.

I'll happily recommend Drake to anyone. He's great.

Uh-oh.

He initially lets us go but attacks us because we take too long. Almost any other dialogue option would have resulted in him leaving Delenda to fend for herself. :doh:

One of the inn's enforcers teleports in but we manage to talk our way out of any trouble. It pays having friends in high places!

While you were busy reading this LP Bartleby studied the blade... :smuggo:

Informing on the plot is our only way forward, how disappointing. :smith:

A-ha!

With that threat to the city dealt with it's time to move on.

On our way out we tell Robel that we got him his drink.

The final area on our list is the Iron Throne building.

That doesn't look good.

Corruption? In the Fist!? :argh:

Not on our watch!

Seems like it's an infirmary now.

Rasaad also can't join us. Bummer.

This is the last place where I would've expected a werewolf to appear. (I kind of messed up trying to get the screenshot size to a manageable level, my apologies)

Still not joining us? Oh well.

We also run into Sirene here, we don't press her since she doesn't have any Sandrah content.

We do our part to help the refugees...

...And tell Teera that we dealt with the moneylender.

Our business in the city is done. Time to head back to our room and sle-

...Who's that next to Imoen? :downs:

Vichan fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 7, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

This chapter was originally going to be longer but I've decided to let it end on a cliffhanger instead. The last three chapters didn't take that long gameplay wise which is why they were posted so soon after each other.

Someone on the Beamdog forums has this to say:

quote:

PS: @Vichan, it would be great if you could highlight in your LP that Sandrah is by no means represantative of BG mods in general. It would be a shame if readers are put off by this trainwreck from trying the multitude of great mods out there. Otherwise, highly entertaining LP.

I probably don't have to tell a lot of BG veterans this and I might as well be preaching to a choir but the modding community has made a wide variety of NPC mods, some of which have been featured in this LP. And as it turns out a lot of them aren't half bad!

I've already said good things about Drake, an NPC which I've never tried before this point. I'm also particularly fond of Finch, an NPC that apparently didn't install correctly which is why we've never actually had her in the party. (Sandrah Saga adds Finch as a non-joinable NPC no matter what) Sirene and Isra are also pretty great and of course there's Valerie by Cythereal who's been wonderful in providing insights on both the BG modding community and BG modding in general so far. Even Gavin isn't that bad at the end of the day, though I wish he'd be a bit less verbose.

There's more NPC mods of course, some of which I've also shown to a lesser extent. Some are better than others but most aren't as outright terrible as Sandrah is. And that's not even getting into BG2 and its literal army of mod NPCs you can put in your party.

What I'm trying to say is that Sandrah is without a doubt the absolute nadir of mod NPCs, only a few other equally infamous mods come close and they're all made for BG2. I've probably been a bit too harsh on non-Sandrah mod content in this LP (Sorry Gavin) but overall I think the modding community in general has made some really good content. :)

Vichan fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 5, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What's the mistake you made by recruiting Drake? If you're talking about filling out the party, the one remaining (non-mod) party member you meet in Baldur's Gate doesn't have to be recruited at this point. They'll follow you and can be recruited later for at least the next couple chapters.

I also really like Drake. He's got a personality with some flaws, but is an all-around decent egg, and all of his banters have been interesting so far. They either deal with the plot, his personal story, or allow you to flesh out the PC by chatting about them, which are all good things.

Sandrah doesn't discuss the plot, she merely tells you about future events, she does have her own story, but it sucks, and she somehow manages to subtract from the personality of your mostly blank-slate PC, which is an impressive feat, but not a positive one. She also sucks the life out of established characters around her, not to forget.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I would also like to make it clear, as a former member of the Baldur's Gate modding community, that what truly offends me about Sandrah Saga as a project is all the additions and changes that Roxanne has made to other peoples' work without their permission.

By all means, make a truly unfortunate mod like Saerileth or Chloe or Tsujatha or the Imoen Romance. But you know what all of those don't do? Have crossmod content written with other mod characters without the modders' permission, far less make substantial changes to those mod characters by overriding the original work - again without permission.

In isolation, I'd probably just laugh at Sandrah and move on. It's Roxanne's obnoxious, arrogant behavior and blatant disregard for other people and their work that makes me legitimately angry at this mod for existing and at Roxanne for making it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What's the mistake you made by recruiting Drake? If you're talking about filling out the party, the one remaining (non-mod) party member you meet in Baldur's Gate doesn't have to be recruited at this point. They'll follow you and can be recruited later for at least the next couple chapters.

I thought I hosed up by replacing him before leaving Baldur's Gate but he followed me to the next chapter regardless. So it turned out not to be a mistake at all! :)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't think anyone's gonna mistake Sandrah as representative of BG mod quality; don't worry beamdog guy.

Actually I'm kinda interested in picking up BG at some point because of this and trying a few mods, Finch in particular. I liked what we saw of her a lot.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vichan posted:

Allo Allo had better French accents...

Lizzun vurry carfully, I shall say zis only wunce...

I enjoyed this. A nice palate cleanser since Sandrah only had maybe two lines and didn't even gently caress anyone. I'm sure we'll be back with the Beast soon enough but this was a refreshing break and a reminder that these games are in fact actually good.

Such a betrayal that Coran doesn't remember that particular interlude though. Everyone else certainly does.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Black Robe posted:

Lizzun vurry carfully, I shall say zis only wunce...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YscWPqj4o&t=2216s

Mod NPC voice acting can be hit & miss to put it lightly but none hold a candle to whatever the hell Beamdog tried there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YscWPqj4o&t=1835s

Belt is also...something.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 5, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77YscWPqj4o&t=2216s

Mod NPC voice acting can be hit & miss to put it lightly but none hold a candle to whatever the hell Beamdog tried there.

Doing voice acting is hard, it's why I never added any voicing to Valerie or Darian. My own voice is highly inappropriate (I am from the Deep South in the United States and have an accent to match), and a few people sent voice samples offering to voice the characters. None satisfied me.

Though the music tracks were fun to add, at least. Both Valerie's and Darian's come from an obscure old RTS called Rise of Legends.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just played through this part a couple days ago, but I somehow missed both Korlasz' journal and her Bhaal research. Dunno how that happened.

Yeah i literally did this area on Tuesday and i found absolutely nothing of the sort, i've also proposed Korlasz surrender, she told me to piss off and then she died in combat without ever surrendering?

Are these Sandrah additions or "Mans got way too eager and didn't see half the dungeon's content"?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Mans posted:

Yeah i literally did this area on Tuesday and i found absolutely nothing of the sort, i've also proposed Korlasz surrender, she told me to piss off and then she died in combat without ever surrendering?

Are these Sandrah additions or "Mans got way too eager and didn't see half the dungeon's content"?

It's vanilla.

Base of the arrow is around where you'll find the key you need to acces her room, circled is her room. It's an easy-to-miss area.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cythereal posted:

Doing voice acting is hard, it's why I never added any voicing to Valerie or Darian. My own voice is highly inappropriate (I am from the Deep South in the United States and have an accent to match)

you should hvae voiced exactly 1 line because it would be very funny

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's interesting they try to integrate Imoen's dualclassing into the story, but i'd have been pretty miffed if i came here with her at like 5 thief/7 mage and some rear end in a top hat told me she sucks too much to join me in the expansion. They obviously can't take mods and such into account but is there any reaction from the game if you simply changed her class, since even vanilla bg1 allows it?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Finally caught up with this runaway train of obnoxiousness. You're doing sterling work, Vichan.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chapter LXXVII - Congratulations, dumb fools!! Round one clearly goes to you.

When last I left you guys we found a robed man in our room.

Hey, this guy is voiced by David Warner as well! :downs:

He leaves us before we can ask him anything else.

Kind of disappointed that we can barely ask Imoen about him. Oh well, guess I'd better get some rest.

Nggh, is this another nightmare?

Don't you just hate it when a mosquito gets in your room at night? We swat her away and get some more shuteye. When we wake up...

They couldn't wait to fire these banters off, could they?

We go downstairs to meet with the council.

One more thing...

Sounds like a lot of responsibility. Oh well.

When we head outside a crowd greets us and the soldiers are getting ready to leave.

:swoon:

Hey, she seems familiar...

Oh hey, it's Viconia! We kick Drake out to make room for her.

Beamdog made a SoD portrait for her.

It doesn't take long for her to take offense to us.

Ouch.

What an rear end.

His friend seems way nicer. :)

More responsibility. Geez.

A pity, we could've used a replacement for Ajantis.

Time to leave!

Our glorious march out of the city is almost ruined but I think I've managed to turn it around.

What I love about Siege of Dragonspear is how there's a lot of movement and sense of scale. There's no end to the people marching to the right there.

Ominous.

When we finally arrive we're at a small army camp.

They really love to talk...

Hey, I can take care of myself! :saddowns:

We might as well explore the camp and the people within it.

This guy has quite the assortment of goods, too bad we're almost broke...

We run into Rayphus again but he doesn't stay long.

We exchange Viconia for Corwin. She's the only SoD character with Sandrah banters.

I was extremely puzzled at this banter until I remembered that Elminster gave Sandrah a shield when we first came to Baldur's Gate. But we couldn't possibly have had Corwin in our party for that so why write this to begin with?

Finally, some sense.

Ouch, Safana has had it rough lately...

Ugh...

We might invite him into our party later on, no promises.

We can sleep if we want to.

Drake and Sirene are hanging around here.

Believe it or not this cleric is the most maligned character of SoD. All that Gamergate controversy? It was mostly about her.

Not the most exciting character but she might be relevant later.

This loon is singing to a Menhir. might as well humor her.

Only one person left to ta-

Jesus loving Christ, again!? He teleports us east for some reason.

Such a brilliant to make one of the most terrifying Gods of the setting into a saturday morning cartoon villain. He teleports away leaving us with some priests that are easily dispatched with the help of summons.

Shael doesn't seem to trust me. I guess I can understand that.

Anyway, time to head back to camp.

Hey, look who it is!

He seems to have some history with Caelar, of course he can join!

...Guess not. At least not yet anyway.

Poor Safana is so confused.

This is the last person we had to talk to. Let's go for the western area first.

We walk into one of the Menhirs, we do the same thing to each and every one of them so I'll only list when we come across them.

Like this.

There's some statues in the northwest, creepy.

We can use the spectacles here for another encounter. There might be an alternate way to solve this later so I'm just going to reload. We only get 3 uses after all.

North-west of the camp is a burnt-out inn.

I guess we can help the innkeeper out.

Two of the items are in the inn itself.

Disappearances, huh? Sounds interesting.

The clearing? Why does she discuss the missing people surrounded by life-like statues? :downs:

Safana's playing hard to get. :argh:

Oh no, who could've seen this coming!? Luckily she's easy to beat.

Neat.

We use the stone to flesh scrolls on Teleria's corpse to rescue the people.

Minsc and Dynaheir can stay at camp for now.

Edwin and Viconia can take their place!

Everyone's a critic...

Going back north we run into another menhir.

Sheesh, Shael. She's never going to fit in if you keep behaving like that.

Uh...

Oh, it's Baeloth! He seems to have fallen on hard times.

We remember him of course but are too proud to say so. What's this about a goblin?

M'Khiin. :tipshat:

Baeloth could've joined us in Larswood back in BG1 but I forgot to pick him up. He doesn't have Sandrah content and is a secret character anyway so he can stay at camp.

M'Khiin seems interesting though.

I've always wanted a goblin NPC! :) Poor Edwin will have to go back to camp.

This area is thick with content, next time we'll continue to work through it!

Vichan fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 7, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah, M'khiin. The best NPC of the Beamdog lot by a wide margin. She's a good egg.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

A freaking god should be far more powerful than any team of lackeys they could summon. They should be all the more powerful if they conjure up a team of badass lackeys and then help them fight.

But no, Talos is now just going to summon randoms and leave, because, I dunno, Sandrah's important enough to summon people over, but not important enough to hang around for?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Vichan posted:

Believe it or not this cleric is the most maligned character of SoD. All that Gamergate controversy? It was mostly about her.

Am I missing something very obvious here? She seems exactly the same as any other Baldur's Gate NPC?

As for Talos..part of me finds it funny because it's kind of the way I used to see Talos. He was yet another dumb CE god whose worshipers were great villain filler since you can always sum up their motivation as "mwahahaha destruction for Talos!"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to show off all the spectacle encounters, you *could* just edit them to have more charges.

Also, fun fact: You can buy that lady's golem and then just attack her before she leaves to get a golem friend as well! Otherwise it attacks with her.

Hypocrisy posted:

Am I missing something very obvious here? She seems exactly the same as any other Baldur's Gate NPC?

As for Talos..part of me finds it funny because it's kind of the way I used to see Talos. He was yet another dumb CE god whose worshipers were great villain filler since you can always sum up their motivation as "mwahahaha destruction for Talos!"

You are missing backstory that we will have to pry twice to get to.

Hint: What things do gamergaters hate?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 6, 2021

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Man. I may not be sold on all this writing, but so much new content with relatively minimal Sandrah almost makes me want to play the game again.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You are missing backstory that we will have to pry twice to get to.

Hint: What things do gamergaters hate?

The obvious thing that comes to mind is "women" but that doesn't explain everything.

Please tell me she just says she likes to shower regularly and they took that personally :j:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

vilkacis posted:

Man. I may not be sold on all this writing, but so much new content with relatively minimal Sandrah almost makes me want to play the game again.

The obvious thing that comes to mind is "women" but that doesn't explain everything.

Please tell me she just says she likes to shower regularly and they took that personally :j:

They hate anything progressive included in a video game. Her being a woman IS a part of it...

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Midnight Voyager posted:

They hate anything progressive included in a video game. Her being a woman IS a part of it...

Right, this is the crowd that complained when Call of Duty did WW2 again and you could play as a female soldier. I'm sure they have similar feelings about those no-good uppity black and brown people, so maybe her race/skin color somehow factors into it? Or maybe she's an LGBT+ character, they don't like that community either. Or all of the above. If I had to guess, it'd be something along those lines.

I'm excited for this little mystery now! Maybe I'll figure it out before Sandrah does. jk, Sandrah knows everything already. I never stood a chance, alas.

EggsAisle fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 7, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I looked Mizhena up. I rolled my eyes. Of course idiots threw a tantrum over two entire sentences from an NPC, only volunteered if you bug her enough at that. Egad, the horror. Especially since it's not exactly the only instance in the games.

But whatever, idiots gonna idiot.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Black Robe posted:

I looked Mizhena up. I rolled my eyes. Of course idiots threw a tantrum over two entire sentences from an NPC, only volunteered if you bug her enough at that. Egad, the horror. Especially since it's not exactly the only instance in the games.

But whatever, idiots gonna idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIw7VUCmpk

People also lost their minds at this Minsc line, claiming that references were incredibly immersion-breaking. (It's since been removed)

You can really tell that someone hasn't played the first Baldur's Gate if they bust out that argument.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRIw7VUCmpk

People also lost their minds at this Minsc line, claiming that references were incredibly immersion-breaking. (It's since been removed)
That's kind of hilarious, but I'm a bit annoyed that they gave this line to Minsc of all people, especially when Edwin is right there.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Vichan posted:

You can really tell that someone hasn't played the first Baldur's Gate if they bust out that argument.

love to get new people in my bg1 party and click them till they say something funny and/or 4th wall breaking. Sensible chuckle every time.

Deeply disappointed Neera did not do this in BG1.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It really annoys me how SoD and Beamdog will be forever associated with the absolutely risable GamerGate nonsense that clouded the release of the game. Yea, it was never going to be a smash hit being an "interquel" to an ancient (yet beloved game), but I thought it was excellent and better than anything I thought could come of trying to smash more content into the middle of Baldurs Gate. I hoped that it would do well and spur Beamdog on to make a new Forgotten Realms game using the Infinity Engine free from the shackles of Baldur's Gate and I will always wonder if part of that timeline not happening was due to the utter "nontroversy" about a single line from Minsc and a buried dialogue with a trans character. It'll never happen now that Larian have draped the flayed remains of Baldur's Gate over Divinity Original Sin and I'll always be a bit sour about it.

My favourite "mash the portrait" dialogue is: "Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse", which is particularly apt from Edwin considering Sandrah.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

None of the 'mash the portrait' dialogue will fire for me, I'm assuming it has to do with EET.

EDIT: Also I took a look at the Corwin-Sandrah banter file and like 75% of them are about things happening in BG1, there's even one about visiting Candlekeep.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mitochondritom posted:

My favourite "mash the portrait" dialogue is: "Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse", which is particularly apt from Edwin considering Sandrah.

It honestly startles me to encounter Edwin's actual ingame dialog compared to Roxanne's Edwin dialog. Because the man isn't stupid. He's one of the characters that can call out Yoshimo hiding something. He calls out Hephernaan on the same. And he's the best magic-user in the game, bar none. That man can put out a number of spells comparable to Gorion's last stand.

He just is also a selfish coward with an unpleasant personality and an ego that could blot out the sun, and that makes him seem quite stupid quite often. He'd be a powerful villain if he wasn't comedy tripping over his own dick so often.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I agree, but let's not spoil future plot events here. There's definitely people here who haven't played SoD, and maybe even someone who hasn't played BG2.