Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

10G also means you can have machines using the 10G SFP+ cages that are typically available on 10G switches.
SFP+ has an order of magnitude lower latency than 8P8C RJ45 - which is quite useful if you're doing iSCSI or even NFS, especially if they're diskless systems.

iSCSI over Ethernet does require jumboframes though, as you almost always want to go with 4kB sectors and that's more than can fit in a standard Ethernet frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Intel trutherism

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

a huge caveat for infinite band at home core driver and hardware compatibility matrices for infiniband are notoriously strict and complex

It is not uncommon for an HPC environment to wait over a year for Intel to publish a certain fix for driver or something that is blocking a major networking or compute upgrade
Mellanox and drivers: a prolific duo even on really common platforms. A few years back my previous employer had more trouble with the firmware than their drivers. To the point where we had calls with a firmware engineer there who seemed excited that it wasn't just an "it's broken" report but instead involved dumps, specific scenarios, etc. Not a bad vendor to deal with. Especially because we were fairly small and other vendors would frequently ignore ongoing issues for months at a time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 8, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

gradenko_2000 posted:

Intel trutherism

Are they paid by Intel, or are there weird brain things happening here?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Weird brain. They were reporting i3s as better performing CPUs than the 8700k & 9900k at one point in their crusade against Ryzen. Without factoring in price - aka the one legitimate metric you could say an i3 is a good buy on. And this was when the 8700k & 9900k were arguably better buys than the AMD CPUs.

The intel subreddit doesn't allow links from their site, but I don't know if Intel had any say in that.

The real criminal part is their site has some great data. When you want to compare performance of older hardware against newer there's no other great resource. When you want to see if you have something misconfigured and compare each part of your system against the average person who benchmarks there it's a great site too. The data/service they provide is so good that some reviewers were fearful it'd cut into their market share. But the site doesn't capitalize on this stuff and instead keeps doubling down on conspiracy theories.

I used to assume the people running the site were 12-15. The site has been around too long for that to be true at this point.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

One hopes Intel's marketing department would be smart enough to tell them to tone it down a bit if they were calling the shots.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Intel does love spending marketing money in ways that make them look like stupid assholes lately.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

spunkshui posted:

Intel does love spending marketing money in ways that make them look like stupid assholes lately.

Always has been meme etc

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

and the distinguishing feature is a design that utilizes a combination of "big" cores (high performance) and "little" cores (high efficiency), something that's been tried only previously with ARM designs for mobile devices.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15877/intel-hybrid-cpu-lakefield-all-you-need-to-know

Khorne posted:

When you want to compare performance of older hardware against newer there's no other great resource.

For CPU comparisons there is https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU-2020/2758

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are still some rumors going around that the Rocket Lake numbers are not representative of final performance. Seems that there are both new bios and microcode revisions showing up at the vendors now that are dramatic.

I really hate that both CPU vendors end up pushing out stuff that needs day 1 patches and whose full performance needs to “mature” over its first year, but I guess that’s just the DIY business these days.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cygni posted:

There are still some rumors going around that the Rocket Lake numbers are not representative of final performance. Seems that there are both new bios and microcode revisions showing up at the vendors now that are dramatic.

And Xbox One has one hidden GPU in the powerbrick and another under the soc.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

No I mean actual rumors, not forum warrioring.

https://twitter.com/capframex/status/1368335809011740672

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

gradenko_2000 posted:

Intel trutherism

Just good ol' worthless userbenchmark at it again

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1368880917046038531

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I dunno what they are arguing about but tbh I do think AT’s review is more of a preview without the final BIOSes. Zen2’s launch shoulda taught us all that.

Yes I know the retailer hosed up and sent the retail parts out early.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Don't see what the bios could do, it's the basically the same chip they been selling for 5 years.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
"But the final BIOS will change everything!" is like the hardware version of the classic gaming beta "Don't worry guys the day zero patch will fix everything on release."

I think it's true just about as often, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Perplx posted:

Don't see what the bios could do, it's the basically the same chip they been selling for 5 years.

It's explicitly not though, which is why people (including me) were excited for it. It is the same manufacturing technology, but a totally different architecture for the first time for Intel on desktop since 2015. Just like Zen 2 and Zen 3 are on the same node but have large performance differences, a lot of people were expecting big things. As of right now, thats looking unlikely.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cygni posted:

I dunno what they are arguing about but tbh I do think AT’s review is more of a preview without the final BIOSes. Zen2’s launch shoulda taught us all that.

Yes I know the retailer hosed up and sent the retail parts out early.

Orders were closed for a while, but the other day the page was back up. Wonder if they thought since they'd be fined anyways may as well scalp as many orders as possible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m gonna have to manually OC my 10900KF to get the most out of it, aren’t I? I just went from a 212 evo cooler to a MSI Coreliquid 240 and it’s keeping my temps way down but my cinebench score only went up by about 80 points.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Gwaihir posted:

"But the final BIOS will change everything!" is like the hardware version of the classic gaming beta "Don't worry guys the day zero patch will fix everything on release."

I think it's true just about as often, too.

Yeah CapFrameX isn't always the best source, excellent software though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

In 2015, Intel released processors based on the "Skylake" architecture. This architecture was based on a 14nm manufacturing process, and the CPUs were marketed as their 6th generation of Core processors (i.e. the i7-6700K)

They followed this up with "Kaby Lake" in 2016. This was an improvement of their 14nm process, and was marketed as their 7th generation of Core processors (i.e. the i7-7700K)

They followed this up with "Coffee Lake" in 2017. This was a further improvement of their 14nm process, and was marketed as their 8th generation of Core processors (i.e. the i7-8700K)

In 2018, Coffee Lake was refreshed as a 9th generation of Core processors, notably in the form of the i9-9900K.

In 2020, Intel released the "Comet Lake" series, yet another improvement of their 14nm process, and was marketed as their 10th generation of Core processors (i.e. the i9-10900K)

All of these processors use the same architecture - as your manufacturing process gets better, your "yields" get better, meaning you can produce more fully functional processors with the same amount of silicon, and fewer of those processors will have flaws. In one respect, this drives down costs, allowing you to sell a quad-core chip (the i3-10100) as a cheap entry-level part that used to be a high-end part (the i7-6700K).

The maturity of the manufacturing process also means that you can clock the chips higher while keeping them stable, and you can squeeze out a little more IPC every time.

However, these are incremental gains, and are never going to match up against a competitor that's iterating on new designs, which can yield larger jumps in performance. Of course, to research and develop a new design takes a lot of time and money, and a bad design might not be much of a gain at all (ex. AMD's Bulldozer architecture).

___

Rocket Lake, this 11th generation that we're talking about with the Anandtech review, is a new design. Or rather, supposedly the design is based on the Tiger Lake archtiecture developed for the 10nm process, but "backported" or adapted for the 14nm process, probably because Intel doesn't have enough 10nm manufacturing capacity just yet to jump directly into producing desktop parts on top of also producing mobile parts. Using a 10nm design but manufacturing it for 14nm parts theoretically allows them to produce new desktop parts without crowding out their existing 10nm commitments.

Unfortunately, as the performance metrics seem to indicate, that kind of compromise might have resulted in a design that's bad enough as we've seen.

Wow. Thank you for breaking things down like this.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

It's explicitly not though, which is why people (including me) were excited for it. It is the same manufacturing technology, but a totally different architecture for the first time for Intel on desktop since 2015. Just like Zen 2 and Zen 3 are on the same node but have large performance differences, a lot of people were expecting big things. As of right now, thats looking unlikely.

Just give in and by Zen 3.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
If only AMD would get rid of its PGA packaging and move to LGA like they should, lol at the idea of ripping the CPU out of the socket with your heatsink.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
There are advantages to PGA, too. While it's a pain to unbend their pins, it's at least feasible - good luck unfucking an LGA which has taken any damage at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. buy one of them graphite pad things so you never have to worry about reapplying paste

2. once you put the CPU into the socket, never take it out

BING BONG SO SIMPLE

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SourKraut posted:

I probably already would have if the 5950X was in stock tbh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

What about then Zen 4 though

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Probably just wiser to stick with what you have and buy a DDR5 platform next year. Supposing whatever you have is not too bad, like my 8700K.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Probably just wiser to stick with what you have and buy a DDR5 platform next year. Supposing whatever you have is not too bad, like my 8700K.

I'm going to guess DDR5 is going to be ridiculously expensive, and people will be longing for the days of DDR4 pricing, just like people longed for the days of DDR3 pricing

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 9, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shipon posted:

If only AMD would get rid of its PGA packaging and move to LGA like they should, lol at the idea of ripping the CPU out of the socket with your heatsink.

The socket not having a mechanism to hold the CPU down is pretty garbage, quite honestly. I don't see why they couldn't do that with PGA.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I'm going to guess DDR5 is going to be ridiculously expensive, and people will be longing for the days of DDR4 pricing, just like people longed for the days of DDR3 pricing

I bought 16gb of DDR3 in 2012 for $70. You can now buy 16gb of DDR4 in 2021 for $70

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Inept posted:

I bought 16gb of DDR3 in 2012 for $70. You can now buy 16gb of DDR4 in 2021 for $70

I bought 16gb of DDR4 for $140 in 2018 :(

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Inept posted:

It's OK that there's parity, but there wasn't for a quite some time, and also, the fact that we can buy the same amount of RAM for the same money is extremely disappointing. The same cash (or even a tiny bit less with inflation) should buy a lot more RAM so many years on.. that's how it always used to be

Edit: thought I'd dig through some old orders.

£85.98 bought you 2x 256MB DDR PC2700 back in 2002, nobody would have been happy paying (adjusted for inflation) £120 in 2012 for 512MB of RAM, even if it was DDR3, and faster

vv Speed isn't the best argument, as speed always increased through generations, whilst price per GB always dropped. All I'm saying is that the added complexity of DDR5 has me worried with regards to price, seeing as trends haven't exactly been favourable

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 9, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

HalloKitty posted:

It's good that there's parity, but there wasn't for a quite some time, and also, the fact that we can buy the same amount of RAM for the same money is godawful. The same cash should buy a lot more RAM so many years on.. that's how it always used to be

Yeah, but the $70 DDR4 is considerably faster than the $70 DDR3.

You can also get lovely 16GB DDR4 for $60, and $70 in 2012 dollars is $80 in 2020 dollars, so now you're talking faster RAM at the same size capacity at 75% of the price. It's not amazing, but RAM just hasn't advanced as quickly as things like mass storage have.

8/16GB has also proven to be "enough" for desktop users for a lot longer than 1/2/4GB in the DDR3 days did, which is keeping demand for larger capacities down.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

It's OK that there's parity, but there wasn't for a quite some time, and also, the fact that we can buy the same amount of RAM for the same money is extremely disappointing. The same cash (or even a tiny bit less with inflation) should buy a lot more RAM so many years on.. that's how it always used to be

I was agreeing with you. It's bullshit that RAM prices haven't gone down in 8 years and more evidence of price fixing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Inept posted:

I was agreeing with you. It's bullshit that RAM prices haven't gone down in 8 years and more evidence of price fixing.

Right, got it, sorry, I wasn't 100% sure which way you were going with it. Still, it was a fun trip down memory lane to look at historic pricing, if nothing else

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[edit: I'm dumb]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's okay, this is a thread about Intel