Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Since my brother went and took my old beat up bike a good while ago I thought I'd buy a new one and get back into commuting with one. Clearly I'm not the only one thinking along these lines because apparently all non-electric bikes are sold out everywhere.

edit: I found a place online that has one Cube Travel Pro in Large (58'). It's not quite the bike I want, and possibly not the right size (I'm 190+ cm), but it might be the closest I can get this season... :\

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The ever given is still sat in Egypt with all the bike parts on it. :(

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I would loving buy that for $80, no goddamn question

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Eejit posted:

I would loving buy that for $80, no goddamn question

The person who owns that bike spends exactly 0% of their time worrying that someone is sawing through their bike lock or stealing components off their bike while they're in the store.

That sort of peace of mind is priceless. Or $80, depending on how you look at it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weembles posted:

The person who owns that bike spends exactly 0% of their time worrying that someone is sawing through their bike lock or stealing components off their bike while they're in the store.

That sort of peace of mind is priceless. Or $80, depending on how you look at it.

lol

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
That seatback means it's like perfect for wheelies too. Just like those old banana bike seats.

I figure I'll fill you all in on my unicycling adventure since I asked about that somewhere in this thread.

I ended up buying a used unicycle from a friend who has about five of them and was looking to downsize the collection.

I've progressed to the point of being able to let go of the fence and sometimes get a full pedal rotation before either falling off or clutching the fence again. My legs are sore in parts that apparently don't get much use in conventional cycling, I'm guessing it's either from rear end-clutching the seat or constantly jumping off the unicycle as I crash.

I vacillate between the mindsets of "this is an enormous waste of time and there is no reasonable purpose for this skill" and "think of all the new neuron connections you're making doing something that you struggle with and how much it will help your balance while riding".

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i remember being in college becoming friends with dan heaton who was on the bleeding edge of extreme unicycling (in like 2000?) and very cool he's made an entire career out of it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

i remember being in college becoming friends with dan heaton who was on the bleeding edge of extreme unicycling (in like 2000?) and very cool he's made an entire career out of it

You should have kissed him if you liked him so much

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
pfc is drunk and very upset his grandpa won't kiss him on the mouth like Joe Biden would with his grand daughter

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PuErhTeabag posted:

I've progressed to the point of being able to let go of the fence and sometimes get a full pedal rotation before either falling off or clutching the fence again.

I vacillate between the mindsets of "this is an enormous waste of time and there is no reasonable purpose for this skill" and "think of all the new neuron connections you're making doing something that you struggle with and how much it will help your balance while riding".

Wait until you hit the galaxy brain of three rotations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I once saw a dude coming down a steep hill on a unicycle and it looked like the most dangerous thing ever.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Forgive me Ernesto for I have sinned

the hole is bigger than i would have thought

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Measure 3 times, drill once. EPS connector isn't super small, so this'll make it that much easier to thread.
And there'll be a grommet once it's pulled through.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Parrotine posted:

Good Idea: Invisible bike helmet!

https://hovding.com/

Seems to work pretty well!

Bad Idea: It's, like, $600 :chanpop:

Isn't available in the USA. Only works once. :psyduck:

Who in their right mind would shell out that much cash for a one-time use?

I look forward to riding up the 12% grade... 3/4 mile climb to where I live with a heavy scarf around my neck.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

VideoGameVet posted:

I look forward to riding up the 12% grade... 3/4 mile climb to where I live with a heavy scarf around my neck.

Yes, but your long flowing locks can blow in the wind like god intended

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Dren posted:

the hole is bigger than i would have thought

EPS connector is 7mm in diameter so has to be a little larger then that. The OEM grommet fits

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm getting a new crank, and I'm too impatient to wait two weeks for the 172.5mm to get back in stock. Crank length seems to be a contentious topic, so I thought I'd stir some poo poo with this post I'm not sure who to believe. I'm 6' tall with 33" inseam, and most people with those numbers seem to use the 172.5mm. I'm fine with the 172.5 that I already have, but is going to 170 or 175 going to swings things that wildly one way or the other? I mean, I'm sure I'll just wait two weeks.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm getting a new crank, and I'm too impatient to wait two weeks for the 172.5mm to get back in stock. Crank length seems to be a contentious topic, so I thought I'd stir some poo poo with this post I'm not sure who to believe. I'm 6' tall with 33" inseam, and most people with those numbers seem to use the 172.5mm. I'm fine with the 172.5 that I already have, but is going to 170 or 175 going to swings things that wildly one way or the other? I mean, I'm sure I'll just wait two weeks.

Everybody different. You'd likely not even notice the difference between 170/175 unless you're a professional timetrialing pedalperson with a precisely dialed fit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got the same inseam and if I know one thing it’s that It will be thigh weepingly noticeable if the seat is even a fraction too low with the 170s.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

EPS connector is 7mm in diameter so has to be a little larger then that. The OEM grommet fits

I am both very happy and also very sad that this went as well as it did.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Shorter is better if you care about going fast.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put 165 cranks on a bike and now I won’t go back.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My winter mountain bike has 165 and I absolutely got to change the stock flat pedals ASAP because it feels like they are going to sheer off at any moment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

On 165 and would try 160 if they had it commonly available.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I spent 3 years with 172.5 on the left and 175 on the right because I didn't check the non-power crank I swapped out when I got a new bike and didn't notice until I went to put the old arm back on and saw "175" staring back at me.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
IMO the only thing that short cranks do for you is:

Improve fit by changing the hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke
Improve pedal clearance when pedalling through corners

Maybe there are things with pure maximum sprint power where crank length effects torque effectiveness can make a difference for some athletes but cycling quickly becomes an issue of aerobic fitness. Plenty of studies have been done both on cadence and also on crank length and don't see any real difference in oxygen uptake.

Honestly height isn't even the only factor to determining if your fit would be improved by going to shorter cranks. Your upper to lower leg ratio, flexibility at the ankle and hip, pedalling style, foot length, etc all play roles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Good Dog posted:

This is a big one, especially if you're wearing normal pants.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Good Dog posted:

Improve pedal clearance when pedalling through corners

Maybe there are things with pure maximum sprint power where crank length effects torque effectiveness can make a difference for some athletes but cycling quickly becomes an issue of aerobic fitness. Plenty of studies have been done both on cadence and also on crank length and don't see any real difference in oxygen uptake.

Honestly height isn't even the only factor to determining if your fit would be improved by going to shorter cranks. Your upper to lower leg ratio, flexibility at the ankle and hip, pedalling style, foot length, etc all play roles.

Yeah there's no impact to either maximal or sustained power. It's all about making it more comfortable to get aero by improving hip angle. Also avoiding pedalstrike, but that's less of a big deal than folks make it out to be imo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ZHLlsvh.mp4

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
:stonklol:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO7ZIOVfkHA

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Question: other than cube does anyone know of anyone making decent flat bar bikes with hub gears?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Question: other than cube does anyone know of anyone making decent flat bar bikes with hub gears?

I don't know if it's within the price you're looking for or exactly how decent it is (reviews seem good), but I've been lusting after the Marin Presidio 3. Flat bar, Gates carbon belt and Nexus 8D.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-presidio-3

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Canyon has a few under their commuter lines, at least in the states.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm also on the waitlist for the Presidio 3, you bastard. I think the Cube Hyde Race and the Cube Editor look better, but the Editor is almost twice the price, and the Hyde Race is unavailable thus far.

If you're in the UK the Boardman URB 8.8 and 8.9 look like good value. The Canyon Commuter series look good on paper if you can avoid duty tax and import fees, but I don't know anything about the quality.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice Ola! That’s gone on the list - I’m looking at spending £750 — £1000

Currently have a 3 speed nexus on a Dutch bike and I’ve had it long enough now to be a convert, once again Sheldon Brown was right.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

I don't know if it's within the price you're looking for or exactly how decent it is (reviews seem good), but I've been lusting after the Marin Presidio 3. Flat bar, Gates carbon belt and Nexus 8D.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-presidio-3

learnincurve posted:

Nice Ola! That’s gone on the list

Maybe they fixed their QC issues for their 2021 run but if they didn't you'll probably end up needing the rear wheel rebuilt, either preemptively on your own dime or eventually as a warranty claim. The rear wheel build quality was really lacking in their 2020 run at least.

Rest of the bike is really good though and the 2021 looks classy af in person.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lmao loving hell

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Grizl (smh) is out.

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-bikes/adventure/grizl/#sections-products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Good Dog posted:

increase clearance when riding ruts

https://off.road.cc/content/review/bikes/2021-canyon-grizl-cf-sl-8-review-7975 eh, they're bloody expensive. I don't quite get it. I'm sure it's great though.

"grizzle" is the noise babies do when they're tired.

gorgeous colourway in the berry version.

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 11, 2021