Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

The challenge in Honest Hearts comes from the enemy spawns at higher levels. White Legs aren't tough even with Anti Mat rifles but having three giant yuo guai, giant green geckos or giant cazadores spawn right in front of you every time you exit an interior cell is a good way to get hosed up.

Yeah and the white legs have Anti Materiel rifles

Best to do Honest Hearts early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Arcsquad12 posted:

The challenge in Honest Hearts comes from the enemy spawns at higher levels. White Legs aren't tough even with Anti Mat rifles but having three giant yuo guai, giant green geckos or giant cazadores spawn right in front of you every time you exit an interior cell is a good way to get hosed up.

Last time I did HH I started it about level 24 on Hardcore, and man oh man is keeping Waking Cloud alive when 3 giant Cazadores ambush you a "fun" little challenge in of itself

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I get extra appreciation out of Super Slam or And Stay Back when playing Honest Hearts. Knockdown is useful to have against packs of dangerous mutants charging at you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Did they call them chems in fallout 1/2? I could have sworn they were just drugs and they renamed them to chems with 3 so they could sell the game in Australia or something though “chem” does also sound more scifi

My copies of Fallout 1 and 2 definitely call them chems. It might have been something they changed for the European release though. I recall the UK being quite strict with drug references during the 90s.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They were always chems, down to the traits. “Chem Resistant” / “Chem Dependent”

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Morphine became Med-X.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arcsquad12 posted:

The WL also have Riot Shotguns at higher levels. You can make serious money if you can manage to haul things back, although by that point you probably have more than enough caps anyway and most of the HH-specific stuff you get is more impactful at lower levels.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yeah it always felt weird to me that there were guns that were seemingly balanced at least partially around their rarity in the base game (there's like 5-6 hunting shotguns, 3-4 riot shotguns, 2 12.7mm pistols, and 1 12.7mm SMG total) are all but growing on trees if you start Honest Hearts at level 25 or higher.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Way back in the day before 4 was even announced, I remember pairing Wasteland Defense and Real Time Settler to effectively do what 4's settlement system did in NV. Never the most stable or balanced thing but it was a pretty neat little system. Did anything ever show up to supersede those mods? Vaguely considering a replay and remembered they exist, don't know that I'd use them but interested to see if any replacement arrived. Especially after 4 and the reaction to its settlement system.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Did they call them chems in fallout 1/2? I could have sworn they were just drugs and they renamed them to chems with 3 so they could sell the game in Australia or something though “chem” does also sound more scifi

They were always chems. The Australia thing was Fallout 3 had to change morphine to med-x.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the one example where Australia censorship actually worked out well. Having it be morphine would be goofy in a game with a dozen other fake drugs.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Chems and Med-x are names that feel like they fit the setting.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the one example where Australia censorship actually worked out well. Having it be morphine would be goofy in a game with a dozen other fake drugs.

Yeah, it'd be weird to pump yourself full of Jet, Psycho, and then morphine. I think it's a good change regardless of reason.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Let's not consider the fact that the characters are injecting themselves with 200+ year old syringes they found on the ground.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Let's not consider the fact that the characters are injecting themselves with 200+ year old syringes they found on the ground.

All bullets should do poison damage, because of tetanus.

Get on it modders.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

OldMemes posted:

I assume most chems you find in the games were manufactured after the bombs hit. Psycho in particular is way too common for a drug only handed out to soldiers during the latter stages of the war.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Still can't be very clean. Nowhere near sterilized.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
They don't show the caps on the needles but any injectable single-dose drug meant for distribution/use on the go would absolutely have had caps over the tips.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

SkyeAuroline posted:

Way back in the day before 4 was even announced, I remember pairing Wasteland Defense and Real Time Settler to effectively do what 4's settlement system did in NV. Never the most stable or balanced thing but it was a pretty neat little system. Did anything ever show up to supersede those mods? Vaguely considering a replay and remembered they exist, don't know that I'd use them but interested to see if any replacement arrived. Especially after 4 and the reaction to its settlement system.

Unfortunately, no, the closest is a wonky TTW patch for RTS that just makes all the DC trees count as wood sources and nothing else new. I think the RTS guy was working on a fallout 1 remake but that stalled bc he decided that it needed 100% original voice acting or something.

It’s kind of a shame bc RTS is cool as hell but it’d be nice to get some stuff like building snapping to a grid like fo4

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume most chems you find in the games were manufactured after the bombs hit. Psycho in particular is way too common for a drug only handed out to soldiers during the latter stages of the war.

I'm guessing a lot of them are reverse engineered from the pre-war stuff, but still, the syringes have to come from somewhere.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737iiE3HF3A

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Edit: bad post removed

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 20, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Screw story morals I'm using an eyeball to haul gold.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I wish that still worked at any point since I installed the game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've never played Dead Money without taking every last bar of gold with me when I leave.

Learning symbolic life lessons is for chumps!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just do it on principle now. Don't spend it, don't display it. I do it just to let the devs trying to teach me MORAL LESSONS can get hosed.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

I just do it on principle now. Don't spend it, don't display it. I do it just to let the devs trying to teach me MORAL LESSONS can get hosed.

Excellent avatar/post synergy here

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I never bothered doing this since I have more money than I can possibly spend and a man must know when to let go.

Now let me tell you about those hundreds of weapons I sold to Old Lady Gibson

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Eraflure posted:

Now let me tell you about those hundreds of weapons I sold to Old Lady Gibson

Fallout New Vegas 2 - Gunrunners hire the protagonist to assassinate Old Lady Gibson and her Mann Co.-like business of selling multiple sawn off shotguns wonder-glued together that's undercutting them, somehow.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

LashLightning posted:

Fallout New Vegas 2 - Gunrunners hire the protagonist to assassinate Old Lady Gibson and her Mann Co.-like business of selling multiple sawn off shotguns wonder-glued together that's undercutting them, somehow.

No-Bark Noonan will catch wind of it and he’ll be waiting for you with his stickin’ knife

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

All weapons in the Mojave have gradually been replaced with bizarre cobbled-together abominations of BB gun and service rifle parts, that somehow work just as well as the real thing

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

StandardVC10 posted:

All weapons in the Mojave have gradually been replaced with bizarre cobbled-together abominations of BB gun and service rifle parts, that somehow work just as well as the real thing

The Mojave is now inhabited by Warhammer 40K orks.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Nobody knows how the Jury Rigging perk works, because it's actually some kind of mechanical placebo effect

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

StandardVC10 posted:

Nobody knows how the Jury Rigging perk works, because it's actually some kind of mechanical placebo effect
I am pretty sure that I've never played a game of New Vegas without taking Jury Rigging. That's the only perk that really has a 'can't live without it' feel; everything else comes and goes based on what kind of character I'm playing in the moment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, Jury Rigging is the perk through which the protagonist transcends from mere man to godhood.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

NorgLyle posted:

I am pretty sure that I've never played a game of New Vegas without taking Jury Rigging. That's the only perk that really has a 'can't live without it' feel; everything else comes and goes based on what kind of character I'm playing in the moment.

The gameplay loop incentivizes taking all its requirements already, and the benefits of it are immense for what you get.

Kind of like Coin Operator, just on a drastically larger scale (and Coin Operator actually has some grounding in the setting to exist). You're already doing everything to get it, might as well take advantage of it, and it opens a door for a lot of resources and caps that wouldn't be there otherwise.
Unlike Jury Rigging, it's also the cornerstone of the best possible ending, when accounting for the impact the DLCs would have on the vanilla endings. Unfortunate the vanilla endings couldn't change to reflect the DLCs.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

On the flip side, on runs without Jury Rigging I leave much more equipment on corpses since they are useless to me. My super serious optimal runs tend to turn into Inventory Management: The Game!™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I haven't used Jury Rigging for a while and I don't miss it. Repairing armor is nice but ultimately rarely needed and dead money's infinite weapon repair kits do the job just fine for the rest.