Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Ahsoka (technically) in Clone Wars and Ezra in Rebels.

Ahsoka was fine and Ezra was the main character though (though then again Omega doesn’t really bother me all that much either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DurosKlav posted:

Where is the little kid shoehorned into? Its Filoni, there has to be an orphaned kid main character somewhere.

Dave Filoni is the child, obviously

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I mean, except for the Mandalorian, they're kids shows. It's a little weird to get mad about a show for children having a child as a main character.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Radio! posted:

I mean, except for the Mandalorian, they're kids shows. It's a little weird to get mad about a show for children having a child as a main character.

Is that what kids want? To see other kids? It's been a while, but I don't remember that being a big motivator for me as a child.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Madurai posted:

Is that what kids want? To see other kids? It's been a while, but I don't remember that being a big motivator for me as a child.

A relatable if not universal character trait is just poor character construction for a media aimed at the younger crowd.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Idk if Ahsoka counts, she and Anakin are teenagers, they're both annoying children and I love them

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

going into both clone wars and rebels I expected to hate the kids but Ahsoka I never really did when she grew up so quick and also wasn’t as much of a focus early on. Ezra is like 15 and from the start kind of felt more like ANH Luke to me than anything else. Haven’t watched the bad batch yet but I think kid characters are only obnoxious when they’re written specifically for a kid audience and as like a wish fulfillment power fantasy insert.

both ahsoka and Ezra are capable but gently caress up and have to learn constantly and we see them grow and mature

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Madurai posted:

We were unhappy turbonerd children, weren’t we? We couldn’t even identify with other children.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Larryb posted:

Ahsoka was fine and Ezra was the main character though (though then again Omega doesn’t really bother me all that much either)

Ahsoka took a while to be fine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never liked Ezra but Ahsoka got instantly better once they did the time-skip. Maybe even a bit before that, like sometime in season 2 iirc.

Omega’s been alright so far, but they really need to pair her off with a clone other than Hunter for a few episodes. The show needs to be The Dad Batch, not The One Dad and Several Uncles Batch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It's not really a problem yet, but something that occurred to me this episode is that I really hope they eventually stop having episodes that involve Omega getting into trouble and the gang having to run off to save her. Like I said, we're not at a fever pitch yet, but I don't want every episode to be doing this. We're getting close. They've had to rescue her in episodes 1, 2, and 4, and episode 3 came close (though she saved herself there, which I appreciated).

Like, I get she's a kid, it makes sense, I'm just hoping for some more variety in the episodes moving forward. Still loving the show.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

thrawn527 posted:

It's not really a problem yet, but something that occurred to me this episode is that I really hope they eventually stop having episodes that involve Omega getting into trouble and the gang having to run off to save her. Like I said, we're not at a fever pitch yet, but I don't want every episode to be doing this. We're getting close. They've had to rescue her in episodes 1, 2, and 4, and episode 3 came close (though she saved herself there, which I appreciated).

Like, I get she's a kid, it makes sense, I'm just hoping for some more variety in the episodes moving forward. Still loving the show.

I would imagine One of the big points eventually will be Omega saving the team and finding her niche as a full member -speculation but spoiled in case true

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

We were unhappy turbonerd children, weren’t we? We couldn’t even identify with other children.

I think it’s pretty universal. The “why do they think kids want to watch kid protagonists” critique has been a thing forever, and I think it’s always been true. Kids don’t want to be kids, they want to be grown-ups. “It’s great to be a kid!” is something only adults think because they’re old enough to realize it. Teenager characters are basically adults anyway, as far as kids are concerned.

Pretty much every popular with kids franchise ever validates that too. Episode 1’s marketing centered around Maul, Qui Gon, and Obi-Wan, and that’s who we all pretended to be on the playground. Nobody pretended to be Anakin until after AOTC, because 19’s a grownup Jedi even if he is a loser whiner. I remember when Transformers got big again after the Bay movie, nobody was pretending to be loving Sam or whatever, my nephews wanted to be Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

Kids like cool poo poo just like adults, they like the cool characters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah kid don't like seeing kids that's why Pokemon hasn't stopped airing for 20 years

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Spent way too long on this.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cage Kicker posted:

I would imagine One of the big points eventually will be Omega saving the team and finding her niche as a full member -speculation but spoiled in case true

I think it's more likely to be a Last of Us style deal. Omega is important for some reason but the dilemma is whether she has to grow into being whatever the Kaminoans wanted her to be or whether she gets to have a normal life. If its the latter then the finale is going to be the Bad Batch sacrificing themselves in some heroic suicide mission manner to let her break free from the plot. This probably also arcs back to killing off the Kaminoans and blowing up their cloning facilities.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Alchenar posted:

I think it's more likely to be a Last of Us style deal. Omega is important for some reason but the dilemma is whether she has to grow into being whatever the Kaminoans wanted her to be or whether she gets to have a normal life. If its the latter then the finale is going to be the Bad Batch sacrificing themselves in some heroic suicide mission manner to let her break free from the plot. This probably also arcs back to killing off the Kaminoans and blowing up their cloning facilities.

Has a second season being confirmed, or it's just a single one season? My fan theory is that the person who is gonna do the noble sacrifice is Crosshair. It's probably gonna some eye tearing sad finale and I'm gonna bawl like a little baby. And yeah, it does feel as Kamino is gonna get bombed to hell and back at the end.

NOW, I do wanna know if they are make use of the show to tell how Wolffe and Gregor could snap out the chip control.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Spent way too long on this.

:lol:

edit: omg Wrecker!! lmao

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Yeah kid don't like seeing kids that's why Pokemon hasn't stopped airing for 20 years

To be fair, I don’t think the series has ever really treated Ash as a kid. He jaunts around the world doing pretty much whatever he wants.

Kids don’t like seeing other kids in a way that reminds them of the power dynamics that exist in their own lives. They love seeing kids that are globe-trotting adventurers or cleverer than the dumb adults around them.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Just a few observations that are probably wrong.

While I do agree that the squad needs to get used to providing for themselves I don't think they're at beginner level. They didn't stop at the spaceport to change their ship's signature, they had to stop there because they needed fuel and supplies. Changing the signature was just a secondary task that was convenient to do at the time.

It was also interesting to me that there's a bounty out on Omega. If the Empire wants her they'd have Wanted notices up all over the place. So who put out the bounty? I'd assume the Kaminoans did, but what's her name also deliberately helped Omega escape. She's been presented as in on the whole inhibitor chip in the past (5's season 6 arc) so why would she care enough about Omega to let her go, against the wishes of other leadership?

I also think Wrecker's "headache" is laying groundwork for him having future issues with his chip. In the pilot he heard Order 66 being issued, he just didn't know what it was. In the last episode when he was holding his head it was the right side, which is where the chip always seems to be located. Anyways, that seems like a better explanation than him faking a headache just to set up a bunk for Omega.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Dingleberry2 posted:

It was also interesting to me that there's a bounty out on Omega. If the Empire wants her they'd have Wanted notices up all over the place. So who put out the bounty? I'd assume the Kaminoans did, but what's her name also deliberately helped Omega escape. She's been presented as in on the whole inhibitor chip in the past (5's season 6 arc) so why would she care enough about Omega to let her go, against the wishes of other leadership?

I guess the idea is that Nala Se grew fond of Omega and doesn't see her as a "product" (but more as a pet, which is yikes). But quickly went whole ralph meme when they realized Tarkin was serious about not wanting to do any business in Kamino.

Nala Se:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but what happened to all the clones? There are millions of them, aren't there? Did the Empire (eventually) just discharge them and say 'good luck'? Was there some kind of kill-switch that caused them to rapidly age out and die? By Ezra's time - presumably fifteen years after the Bad Batch takes place - they're back to using conscripted humans, aren't they?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Clones have rapid aging, so I guess they were used for a while and then they just started to die off naturally/discharged because too old for combat. I was reading some of the Wikis and Cody actually stays around working for the Empire for quite a while (Dunno if that's canon or not).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but what happened to all the clones? There are millions of them, aren't there? Did the Empire (eventually) just discharge them and say 'good luck'? Was there some kind of kill-switch that caused them to rapidly age out and die? By Ezra's time - presumably fifteen years after the Bad Batch takes place - they're back to using conscripted humans, aren't they?

A lot of them were just discharged, which is how Rex falls in with the Rebellion and ends up fighting on Endor.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

A lot of them were just discharged, which is how Rex falls in with the Rebellion and ends up fighting on Endor.

Rex actually got his chip removed thanks to Ahsoka. So technically wasn't discharged, but he deserted with some little help.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Uh, Rex clearly deserted at the end of Clone Wars. Also I don't know if its still canon but I know Cody ended up becoming a Storm Trooper Commander

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh duh. His roomates, on the other hand, would have just been discharged.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I hope they use Bad Batch to finally give us the Rex vs Cody showdown that they so desperately deserve

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah from what Rex said on Rebels it sounds like they just got discharged and entered civilian life

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Why on earth would the Empire discharge 100% unconditionally loyal clones from their service, let alone grant them rights as citizens? Even if they're no longer physically suited to be soldiers it feels more likely they'd end up working in a mine or something until they're completely used up.

By the time of Rebels I could buy that nobody in the Empire cares about the small handful of rogue/faulty clones any more, with the rest of their kind presumably having expired some years earlier.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It feels like “discharged” will eventually turn out to be more akin to Decommissioned than released out to the general population.

Like they were “discharged” to live relatively peaceful lives in some designated “clone” planets until they either died or were called up as reserves when needed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or just thrown into meatgrinders over and over until there's nothing left.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It also fits into some of the ancient lore that went unused. Back in the pre-ESB production days, Cloud City was intended to be a reservation of sorts for obsolete clone soldiers from the war, Lando being one of them.

It also fits with some of the real world influences that informed what the Empire is. Just like discharged Roman soldiers, you've got a "civilian" body ready made to use as a colonization force in the Outer Rim.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some Clones were kept on as Trainers for Imperial recruits. Rex was offered that Job.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Sash! posted:

It also fits into some of the ancient lore that went unused. Back in the pre-ESB production days, Cloud City was intended to be a reservation of sorts for obsolete clone soldiers from the war, Lando being one of them.

Oh. My. God.

When people get extremely old, they get really small and shrivelled and lose the ability to speak properly, don't they?

Ugnaughts are clone soldiers.

UGNAUGHTS ARE CLONE SOLDIERS!!!

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Dave Syndrome posted:

UGNAUGHTS ARE CLONE SOLDIERS!!!

poo poo, so who was Kuill? Poor guy just wanted to retire in peace after indentured servitude in the Clone Wars. :ohdear:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Some Clones were kept on as Trainers for Imperial recruits. Rex was offered that Job.

What's the source for this? I have a feeling it might not fit into canon any more, since we know he deserted and is on the run from the Empire right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

site posted:

Has anyone ever actually liked Ash or just put up with him as a means to the end of seeing things we actually cared about (the Pokemon).

I do not remember a single soul growing up who wasn’t frustrated with the degree to which Ash is a loser.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has anyone ever actually liked Ash or just put up with him as a means to the end of seeing things we actually cared about (the Pokemon).

I do not remember a single soul growing up who wasn’t frustrated with the degree to which Ash is a loser.

I stopped watching Pokemon after I managed to beat the Indigo League and Ash fuckin' couldn't. All in all, the first season of Pokemon is a good self-contained story with an ending that teaches kids how to deal with failure... and then it just keeps going... for twenty years...

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I grew up running home from elementary school to try and catch pokemon and absolutely loathed Ash, I dont think he was ever the main appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ash sucks and I was glad when he briefly died in Pokémon The Movie. The real reason to watch the show was for Brock and Team Rocket, imho.