Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I bought the Deluxe edition of the newest Bard's Tale and it comes with the new Trilogy and possibly another title, but I already have those. Can I gift the freebies or am I stuck with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

JustJeff88 posted:

I bought the Deluxe edition of the newest Bard's Tale and it comes with the new Trilogy and possibly another title, but I already have those. Can I gift the freebies or am I stuck with them?

Check if these freebies come as keys. When you click on the main game in your library there should be a dropdown with keys and other stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

Sup Bard’s Tale buddy! Just bought this set myself! Quite a steal at $12.49!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I finally found what I was looking for, my unredeemed giftables. I keep forgetting that there's a drop-down series of tick boxes for that. As I suspected, I did *not* get any free Bard's Tale games from my purchases, but I do have literally 20 GOG games that have never been redeemed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Finally plonked down the cash for Warcraft 1 + 2 and also got... War Wind 1 + 2?

Never heard of these games, pretty sure they're not Blizzard...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Finally plonked down the cash for Warcraft 1 + 2 and also got... War Wind 1 + 2?

I didn't get those, what!

They're excellent games, though. Like an earlier attempt at Warcraft 3, but made by the guys who did Anvil of Dawn.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

War Wind 1 + 2?

Each store page lists who are the developers. War Wind is by DreamForge Intertainment, who among other things also developed Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I remember War Wind 2, such a funky game. Speaking of which, I've recently bought Deadlock 2: Shrine Wars and I'm gonna binge it as soon as I can, I spent so many hours on that one back in the days, just hearing the audio taunts again makes me smile.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Each store page lists who are the developers. War Wind is by DreamForge Intertainment, who among other things also developed Warhammer 40,000: Rites of War.

You just made me realise they're called "Intertainment". With an I. Huh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
War Wind is pretty cool. Its got very very strong Warcraft 1/2 energy, the building sprites are even similarly shaped.

There's a bunch of RTS like that which I'd probably have loved as a kid playing war2 but I didn't hear about any of them until much, much later.

https://www.gog.com/game/krush_kill_n_destroy_xtreme

KKND also has building sprites that look just like warcraft, lol.

https://www.gog.com/game/total_anihilation_commander_pack

https://www.gog.com/game/dark_reign_expansion

https://www.gog.com/game/z

Also Seven Kingdoms was an obvious Age of Empires knockoff

https://www.gog.com/game/seven_kingdoms_2

Agh there's another 90s starcraft knockoff I played as a kid but I can't remember the name of it right now...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You got both War Winds? Dang, my discount only gave me War Wind 2 with my WarCraft purchase

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Aces High posted:

You got both War Winds? Dang, my discount only gave me War Wind 2 with my WarCraft purchase

You can just claim War Wind for free from the store page, no need for a code.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Aces High posted:

Yeah, sorry. Turns out I'd already claimed it at some point as I hoover up free games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyone using those GOG Galaxy integration thingies? My Steam one hasn't worked for a while and I can't figure out why the heck not.

Like, everything else works, but Steam attempts to load for a while, errors out, provides a retry button that does poo poo squat, and that's it.

I've tried to have Steam open, tried to go through that old GOG Connect thing to sync there as well, tried to change my whole profile to public (hate that), but nothing seems to work.

I like this thing and Steam has basically most of my stuff so of course I'd like to track it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone using those GOG Galaxy integration thingies? My Steam one hasn't worked for a while and I can't figure out why the heck not.

Like, everything else works, but Steam attempts to load for a while, errors out, provides a retry button that does poo poo squat, and that's it.

I've tried to have Steam open, tried to go through that old GOG Connect thing to sync there as well, tried to change my whole profile to public (hate that), but nothing seems to work.

I like this thing and Steam has basically most of my stuff so of course I'd like to track it.

Hey, I can help for once!

This happens to me literally every time I try to link Steam to Galaxy. What always works for me is to click on 'Disconnect', wait a tick while it disconnects, make sure that Steam is running and then reconnect. It always asks for me to check my e-mail and add one of those random 6-character security codes, but it does connect.

I wish that I knew a way to avoid this annoyance, but that's the only way I have been able to get Steam to fully connect. Even if it does connect, the Steam client has to be running to play Steam games.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 9, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh ok, the one thing I didn't try was to disconnect because it gave me a scary message that I'd lose all games/friends already synched. Thanks! That did the trick.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Oh ok, the one thing I didn't try was to disconnect because it gave me a scary message that I'd lose all games/friends already synched. Thanks! That did the trick.

Did it make you do the e-mail authentication thing? I would really like to have it not do that, but i don't know how or even if it is something that can be disabled.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, it forced me to re-auth, including Steam Guard (though I use the app, not the old email verification thingy). And then it proceed to take like 10 minutes to reload my game library. It's going to kind of suck if this is a common occurrence, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, it forced me to re-auth, including Steam Guard (though I use the app, not the old email verification thingy). And then it proceed to take like 10 minutes to reload my game library. It's going to kind of suck if this is a common occurrence, though.

I don't think that there is a way around it either, and it's required at every reconnect. I may change to Steam Guard as it is slightly less annoying. I am already shackled to my rarely-used mobile due to Dual-Factor Authentication for work purposes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if GOG will ever get Future Cop, Recoil, or Nuclear Strike. Seems the only way to play them is via the abandonware sites.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Future Cop, Freelancer, and a feature-complete version of Hardwar are my absolute highest priorities.

I got Hardwar before Emu blew up, but it's lacking the videos and music... Which is pretty bad for a game that had 600 mbs of the stuff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ambaire posted:

I wonder if GOG will ever get Future Cop, Recoil, or Nuclear Strike. Seems the only way to play them is via the abandonware sites.

I found pre-configured versions of Mechwarrior 2 and Nuclear Strike recently, by coincidence. If the IP holders don't care to sell them, we shouldn't feel bad about playing them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JustJeff88 posted:

I found pre-configured versions of Mechwarrior 2 and Nuclear Strike recently, by coincidence. If the IP holders don't care to sell them, we shouldn't feel bad about playing them.

With the Mechwarrior games (save for Mechwarrior 4), it's not a case of the IP Holders not selling it's that nobody knows who actually is the IP Holder anymore. The licenses for those games changed hands a a lot with various companies being involved in development, and Mechwarrior 4's only clean of that mess because it's entirely a Microsoft FASA project. It's also the only one without the Unseen designs muddying the waters further.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With the Mechwarrior games (save for Mechwarrior 4), it's not a case of the IP Holders not selling it's that nobody knows who actually is the IP Holder anymore. The licenses for those games changed hands a a lot with various companies being involved in development, and Mechwarrior 4's only clean of that mess because it's entirely a Microsoft FASA project. It's also the only one without the Unseen designs muddying the waters further.

That does happen. The No One Lives Forever games are in a similar limbo. Thing is, GOG has been trying for... probably years now to get ahold of various parties and sort it out. As I understand it, though, the people who hold the various bits of the IP don't care enough to sort this poo poo out. Apparently they don't value the IP enough or any money it might make them. So, if it means so little to them, they have no right to bitch if people play the games.

I didn't know about Mechwarrior 4, but I am of the opinion that in the case of a lost IP owner sites should be able to distribute the games for free. If the owners come forward later and can prove they own an idea, inasmuch as one can own an idea, then they can sort out a sell price. I am just sick and tired of being told that we are not allowed to play games that nobody cares about anymore and can be infinitely replicated at no cost. If I had an infinite supply of literally anything but I wouldn't let you have one to use for recreational, non-profit reasons, you would rightly think I was the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
gog give hades please, I want the supergiant collection to be complete.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Any chance that any of the other Silent Hill games come to GOG now that 4 is there? 1 never had a PC port, but 2 and 3 did and Homecoming is on Steam.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

People have been clamoring for them to get it done for years now https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#search=silent%20hill

You'd think it'd be a simple matter, because of SH4. But it's Konami so :shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Are the PC versions of Silent Hill any good? The MGS PC versions... aren't

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty sure they're different kinds of bad. I'd like them to wrap the playstation versions with an emulator, but that's probably a legal minefield.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've played 2-4 and Homecoming on PC (actually owning 3, 4, and HC). None are bad per se, but at least 2 and 3 require fixes and/or mods to get things working correctly or not looking like rear end. I'm not sure if HC has even worked correctly in Windows since Win8 or so was released.

SH2 has a huge mod set which takes higher quality assets from other versions of the game. SH3 has a third party executable that Windows fears is a trojan from how it hooks into memory...

Okay when I type that out, 2 and 3 sound pretty bad, but honest, they can function!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

itry posted:

Pretty sure they're different kinds of bad. I'd like them to wrap the playstation versions with an emulator, but that's probably a legal minefield.

Wouldn't it be possible to use a third party bios to avoid this problem? That or maybe Sony could get a cut of the profits for using their bios in the wrapper?

How did Bleem! do it back in the day to avoid any problems? (I mean they did get sued but they won the legal battles)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There are HLE implementations of the PS1 BIOS that could be used.

But the crux of all this is that it's Konami lmao

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Konami aren't going to do poo poo with any title except for Pro Evo Soccer and Yu Gi Oh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Testekill posted:

Konami aren't going to do poo poo with any title except for Pro Evo Soccer and Yu Gi Oh.

That's not true, they revived Genji & Heikke Clans of all things.

Well that and the aforementioned MGS1/2/SH4 port rereleases. But you should still never expect anything from Konami.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 25, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Are the PC versions of Silent Hill any good? The MGS PC versions... aren't
The Silent Hill 2 port isn't great on account of a small external team in the UK being lumped with porting a Japanese codebase from one Xbox DVD to two PC CDs in just five months, with all sort of technical issues involving handling the assets complicating matters. The Enhanced Edition mod backports uncompressed assets from the console versions, restores missing visual effects and adds native widescreen support and roughly a trillion bugfixes to create a definitive version of the game.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Kamrat posted:

Wouldn't it be possible to use a third party bios to avoid this problem? That or maybe Sony could get a cut of the profits for using their bios in the wrapper?

How did Bleem! do it back in the day to avoid any problems? (I mean they did get sued but they won the legal battles)

Looking at the Bleem! example, they won the legal battle but went bankrupt because of it.

I don't think there are any emulated console games on GOG. Even if they ask Sony/Nintendo, they'll probably say no. Regardless of legality.

Edit: It'd be amazing if they could do that, just release old console exclusives cheaply by using emulation. Probably a lot of publishers looking at their old titles and thinking it's not worth porting them.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 25, 2021

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

itry posted:

Looking at the Bleem! example, they won the legal battle but went bankrupt because of it.

I don't think there are any emulated console games on GOG. Even if they ask Sony/Nintendo, they'll probably say no. Regardless of legality.

Edit: It'd be amazing if they could do that, just release old console exclusives cheaply by using emulation. Probably a lot of publishers looking at their old titles and thinking it's not worth porting them.

Sony and Nintendo want you to be rebuying them on their existing console ecosystems. Sega's released a pile of emulated games on Steam, and I believe the SNK games on GoG are just emulated Neo Geo arcade versions.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't think SEGA/SNK releasing their own games emulating their own hardware is the same thing.

Edit: But it's still nice to have them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

itry posted:

You are hilariously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hey, Zombies Ate My Neighbors getting released is great. That's the kind of precedent I was looking for. Aren't the Disney games using DOSBox though?

Edit: Looks like they re-released a different version. Neat.

itry fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 25, 2021