Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah he is absolutely doing an Irish accent, especially in the first game. (I'm Irish)

Thats funny, I've always though he gets most irish in 3. but I'm only a bit irish and mostly welsh so what the gently caress do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Seemlar posted:

I mean, he says the same if you brain a space monkey in ME1

Guess the little beast deserved it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Wrex is sort of like "good Garrus." He has the same "guy who is happy to do fighting and violence with you" aspect without being a weird vigilante.

Just did Zaeed loyalty mission. Screw the refinery workers, I made a promise to Zaeed :colbert: Blue Suns leader guy probably would have killed a bunch of people anyways if we had let him live.

Mordin's loyalty mission was actually pretty good. I think they do a good job of showing how Mordin struggles to rationalize things.

I wish punching Zaeed wasn't exclusive to the Paragon intimidate path. Because the galaxy is a much safer place if Vido doesn't make it off Zoria, but Zaeed also deserves a broken cheekbone at the very least for popping off like a lunatic and lighting the whole drat refinery on fire. without me ordering him to

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Re: Udina's accent it's definitely Irish in ME3, but it changes in every game.

In ME1, he's doing a poor impression of an Arab accent, which very much fits with the original post's impression that it was a "do a vaguely otherised voice for the brown guy" thing. In ME2, he's just doing an American accent but with archvillain nobody-actually-talks-this-way incredibly hammy delivery.

I'm guessing the voice direction changed in every game, maybe from ME1 to ME2 as they realised it was crummy to have their scheming political villain be a white guy doing a cartoon Arab voice, and in ME3 they finally realised Donnel was an Irish name.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I've played through Mass Effect 2 at least 4 times if not more, and I somehow missed all the little anomaly scanning missions every time. I had no idea these were here. Weird.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Seemlar posted:

I mean, he says the same if you brain a space monkey in ME1

That monkey was probably a Blue Suns mule, bro.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
For some reason I always thought that ME3 Udina's villainous turn came sort of out-of-left-field and that he was at least somewhat sympathetic before.

I'm at ME2 now and completely at a loss as to why I even thought that in the first place.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I was just talking to two goon friends who BOTH turn off the music in Mass Effect 1. I just don’t understand that

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

omg chael crash posted:

I was just talking to two goon friends who BOTH turn off the music in Mass Effect 1. I just don’t understand that

They don't sound like friends.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

omg chael crash posted:

Some people just want to watch their own lives burn.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I didnt even know you could turn it off.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Hell yeah, I mainlined these games for two weeks and then shot that little fucker in the head.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vichan posted:

For some reason I always thought that ME3 Udina's villainous turn came sort of out-of-left-field and that he was at least somewhat sympathetic before.

I'm at ME2 now and completely at a loss as to why I even thought that in the first place.

At the start of ME3, he's the only one working to get poo poo done to help you and is clearly broken up by everything the Reapers are doing, and has swallowed his prided and buried the hatchet with Shepard in the face of extinction, so he is at his most sympathetic at that point in terms of presentation. The heel turn kind of does come out of nowhere just in terms of how stupid it is, but I rationalize it as Undina just being loving done with how useless the Council is and has been sitting back for like two years now watching Cerberus kick rear end and take names and is like "gently caress it, if the Illusive Man is getting results, let's roll". TIM also hinged his support on "gently caress Shepard, specially" and Udina being the pragmatist he is agreed to it.

Udina was probably a dead man walking no matter what way the coup panned out because TIM was that far gone down the indoctrination rabbit hole that he probably felt no Council was infinitely better than a Human Concillor with 100% control of Citadel Space.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mass Effect 2 is seeming a little edgy and grim compared to the almost optimistic vibe of the first game.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mass Effect 2 is seeming a little edgy and grim compared to the almost optimistic vibe of the first game.

It absolutely is. It's a great game, but the tone of the first game is like, a marvellous dream of uncharted worlds and a bold new future amidst the stars, while ME2 is about a crew of renegades and last chancers working outside the law in the underbelly of an extremely corrupt, seedy galaxy. Shepard goes from being the official delegate of galactic civilisation to an outlaw, forced into working with terrorists and recruiting convicts and assassins to get the job done.

ME3 synthesises these tones pretty successfully, I think. For the most part.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Android Blues posted:

It absolutely is. It's a great game, but the tone of the first game is like, a marvellous dream of uncharted worlds and a bold new future amidst the stars, while ME2 is about a crew of renegades and last chancers working outside the law in the underbelly of an extremely corrupt, seedy galaxy. Shepard goes from being the official delegate of galactic civilisation to an outlaw, forced into working with terrorists and recruiting convicts and assassins to get the job done.

ME3 synthesises these tones pretty successfully, I think. For the most part.

ME3’s tone is like the speeches in Independence Day or Pacific Rim, where it’s “we’re hosed but we’re not gonna let that stop us from coming together and trying to win”

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

empires are bloody extractive processes and the Citadel Council is no exception. ME2 focuses on the galaxy's sausage-making machine deliberately

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Han Olar should have been a squad member in ME2

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

My theory on the tone shift between games is that they were aiming for a T rating in ME1 and when they got an M (probably because of the tame sex scenes, because America) they decided to say screw it and make ME2 darker and have people say "gently caress"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Veotax posted:

My theory on the tone shift between games is that they were aiming for a T rating in ME1 and when they got an M (probably because of the tame sex scenes, because America) they decided to say screw it and make ME2 darker and have people say "gently caress"

Speaking of tame sex scenes, is it just clearer graphics or have they made the ME1 sex scene a lot nuder? I felt I was seeing a lot more boob, and as I was 18 when I first played it I thought I would have remembered that more than I did.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just realized that the Pinnacle Station DLC wasn't included in this release. Looked into it and it was omitted because the original source code was lost.

That sucks, is scary to think about, and is loving hilarious, all at the same time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ytlaya posted:

Just did Zaeed loyalty mission. Screw the refinery workers, I made a promise to Zaeed :colbert: Blue Suns leader guy probably would have killed a bunch of people anyways if we had let him live.

I love that from memory the best way to handle this mission is to do this:

The female Shepard I'm currently using is my favorite, but I do kinda hope to go back to my hosed up old man rear end in a top hat Shepard again at some point.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I quit the 3 ymir mech anomaly and am going to come back with a Cain and some levels or something. It feels not possible to do early in the game on Insanity. Maybe by cheesing cloak, or running deeper into the level for more cover, but where you start is relatively open and its tough getting through a YMIR by the time you end up with another on you

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Fuzz posted:

I just realized that the Pinnacle Station DLC wasn't included in this release. Looked into it and it was omitted because the original source code was lost.

That sucks, is scary to think about, and is loving hilarious, all at the same time.

We're not getting Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition because of lost source code, there's the real tragedy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dramicus posted:

The building was pressurized, when the charges damaged the door, the atmosphere vented out bringing the door with it.

Nah, that's someone else's body. The asteroid was an inside job! Wake up sheeple!

Wolfsheim posted:

In my rose colored glasses he was chill turian batman, but now he seems more like a thin blue line punisher psychopath

I guess you really can't go back :sigh:

Yeah, coming back to the games after all this time makes the fact that you literally spend three whole games where Shepard has to constantly talk him out of extrajudicial murder stand out a lot more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

While you commit all the extrajudicial murder.

Garrus is you, and you can't handle it dad!

Android Blues posted:

Shepard goes from being the official delegate of galactic civilisation to an outlaw, forced into working with terrorists and recruiting convicts and assassins to get the job done.

I mean, you can immediately get your badge back and nobody ever talks about it again except your squadmates for a second when you run into them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, that's someone else's body. The asteroid was an inside job! Wake up sheeple!
Yeah, coming back to the games after all this time makes the fact that you literally spend three whole games where Shepard has to constantly talk him out of extrajudicial murder stand out a lot more.

Oh, you mean Shepard wasn't supposed to spend those 3 games encouraging the extrajudicial murder? woops.

Isn't Shepard just Space Judge Dread?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how the paragon ending to Tali’s loyalty quest is after being told your word isn’t going to work and you need hard evidence, you say screw the evidence and insult the admirals by using your word to defend Tali and saying this is a kangaroo court.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought the tone switch in ME2 worked very well. You're on the fringes of galactic civilization fighting an unseen foe of unimaginable strength, assembling a team of societal outcasts on a hopeless mission to delay the inevitable. To me it's when Mass Effect became uniquely Mass Effect rather than a three-episode Babylon 5 arc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Are there any instances where the blue/ red option leads to a "dialog failure"?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I can't think of any. If there is a red/blue option and you are capable of taking it its almost always an instant resolution in favor of whatever path you took.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Some of the Paragon/Renegade alignment choices do have negative repercussions later on (more Renegade than Paragon, but not exclusively) but yeah in that particular conversation it is usually a dialogue "I win" button

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Rinkles posted:

Well the ones with the Illusive Man in ME3 never win him over unless you do every single one in the game and then the last one lets you finally convince him.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Rinkles posted:

They're the magical screw the rules buttons so no, except that there are actually some really cool/funny dialogue options that you'll never see if you mash paragon/renegade options/interrupts every time (even if they don't give you better results). And almost all of the games reactivity is in regards to you failing/not doing stuff optimally which you'll pretty much never see if you stick to paragon/renegade.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah I've never done a non speech run. Should try that.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Speaking of tame sex scenes, is it just clearer graphics or have they made the ME1 sex scene a lot nuder? I felt I was seeing a lot more boob, and as I was 18 when I first played it I thought I would have remembered that more than I did.

It's the wider FOV. It definitely makes it obvious that none of the women in ME1 have nipples.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

I like how the paragon ending to Tali’s loyalty quest is after being told your word isn’t going to work and you need hard evidence, you say screw the evidence and insult the admirals by using your word to defend Tali and saying this is a kangaroo court.

FWIW, this is also the Renegade ending lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Veotax posted:

That's funny because one of the first lines you can get from Jack (I already forget what it's in response to) is "gently caress, you sound like a pussy." and the VA just deadpans it hard and it makes me chuckle every time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Her character teaser trailer had comically many bleeps, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I used to like Jack a lot but as time goes on the 90s Hot Topic energy is becoming more and more dated and hilarious

Also for real why can't femshep date her, she's explicitly bi!!!!!