Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that is kind of goofy playing the games back-to-back is how your original crew is all "Shepard, my best friend and comrade-in-arms" when, for many of these characters, their involvement in ME1 basically consists of "recruited them and then talked to them 2-3 times on the Normandy." Because I also did Liara late and didn't include her in my party, her participation in the story was basically just doing the mind-meld thing with me a couple times and chatting some...

Yeah, every companion has a kind of quantum state where they all assume they were with you for every big decision. Everyone remembers what you did with the rachni queen, fought on virmire with you and the sacrifice, fought Benezia, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Aphrodite posted:

There are saves on Nexus right before the ceremony to save you time.

Thanks, console though. I ended up burning through the early game in about 30 minutes and made a hard save right before. Worth it, even the level VII Spectre stuff is better than anything else I've found.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DourCricket posted:

Yeah, every companion has a kind of quantum state where they all assume they were with you for every big decision. Everyone remembers what you did with the rachni queen, fought on virmire with you and the sacrifice, fought Benezia, etc.

I think we are supposed to assume more of the squad actually goes on missions than does in games. Otherwise it is kind of weird for Shepard to go on dangerous missions and leave half the tea, in the ship.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

My biggest problem with ME1 is that the Turians are just way cooler and more interesting than humanity.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Aphrodite posted:

That's what a remaster usually is. You're thinking of a remake.

Remaster comes from the film industry and literally just means higher resolution, maybe color grading.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the use of the term remaster for things like Sypro Trilogy, Halo Anniversary Editions, Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Rise of The Triad and so forth that have all had very significant graphical updates often to new engines.

Whorelord posted:

My biggest problem with ME1 is that the Turians are just way cooler and more interesting than humanity.

I feel this way about most races in sci-fi and fantasy

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Whorelord posted:

My biggest problem with ME is that the Turians every god drat species in the universe is just way cooler and more interesting than humanity.

FTFY

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Kai Leng has no redeeming features, on top of that he has the GALL to defeat you in a cutscene, unacceptable! Kylo Ren is just kind of boring but I still think he had good moments in bad movies, none of which I can recall off the top of my head because Star Wars is still dead to me right now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Doctor Nutt posted:

This time around I didn't even bother asking about Kai Leng so I didn't have to get that especially embarrassing convo with Anderson where he says "wow reapers are bad but this loving cyberdork is really scary!"
I think that may result in a dead Miranda. You have to give her the info during one of your meetups so she's "prepared." Because a sane person wouldn't consider him a threat so Anderson has to tell you.

Deformed Church posted:

This is my first time playing the Omega DLC and I think it's bullshit that I don't get the enormous biotic explosion power for the other parts of the game.
IIRC you do as a squad bonus power, but it's not as hilariously OP.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lol I recruited Liara and since then have only been puttering around on uncharted planets doing sidequests. After one single conversation with Liara, Ashley started acting mega-jealous and my next convo with Liara was all "I feel this powerful connection between us." Like drat, this is literally the second time we've spoken, chill out.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
so does Garrus' loyalty mission just not drop any ammo from a bit before you open the shutter and see harken and garrus' is like "did you see that" all the way to the end of the mission? I used the "use all weapons mod" to give my infiltrator shep only a sniper rifle and only a SMG and I ran out before the double YMIR part twice.

ShakeZula posted:

Lol I recruited Liara and since then have only been puttering around on uncharted planets doing sidequests. After one single conversation with Liara, Ashley started acting mega-jealous and my next convo with Liara was all "I feel this powerful connection between us." Like drat, this is literally the second time we've spoken, chill out.

Liara wants it bad in 1, I explicitly told her I was banging kaiden this time around and she was like "drat that sucks, but that doesn't mean we can't bang too right?"

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ShakeZula posted:

Liara's's really in deep love with the research paper she can write about the Prothean beacon. That's next level objectification.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Liara wants it bad in 1, I explicitly told her I was banging kaiden this time around and she was like "drat that sucks, but that doesn't mean we can't bang too right?"

Well she *is* a 106 year old virgin.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Every few pages someone is like "this sucks, they barely changed 2 and 3 at all!" and I'm like "yeah, it's awesome!" :j:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Though I do really wish they'd allowed full power remapping on console so that Engineers who forego the Drone don't have a button that does literal nothing

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Let me put Reave on Triangle dang it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Every few pages someone is like "this sucks, they barely changed 2 and 3 at all!" and I'm like "yeah, it's awesome!" :j:

Same

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Well then I have some good news for her :getin:

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Has anyone tried playing an infiltrator in ME2 in the legendary version? If so did they fix the ammo issues the sniper rifle had?

That was something that drove me bonkers about ME2, both from a gameplay and an RP standpoint. Form a gameplay standpoint I had a class built around using sniper rifles but was forced to used pistols a huge amount because they didn't give you enough sniper ammo. From an RP standpoint it drove me nuts because the guns were all supposed to use common ammo and yet didn't share an ammo pool. If they use common ammo then I shouldn't be out of sniper ammo and have full pistol ammo. I eventually got annoyed enough with this that I just used a memory scanner to give myself unlimited ammo. Luckily ME3 actually gave you enough ammo.

DourCricket posted:

I kind of figure from an RP perspective they are all doing something for the mission, just from a gameplay perspective controlling a 7 person party doesn't work very well. I can't imagine them just sitting around the ship playing poker while Shepard is off doing things. It also explains why you unlock more dialog options with everyone as you do more missions despite many of the characters not being with you.

Simone Magus posted:

I think it's good that they left the gameplay, story and so forth intact as that all holds up extremely well. I think it's lame that the graphical updates are minimal because I feel like $40 was a rip off for what seems like a rerelease. I would have preferred if they could have kept the gameplay, mechanics, story, audio and stuff but upgraded the engine to Unreal 4 or some other more modern engine for graphics. Hell, they can have $180 ($60/game) from me if they can release ME 1,2 and 3 but with current gen graphics.

TheGreySpectre fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 27, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
For those struggling with 1's gameplay, I've found a hilariously fun way to play:

Go Vanguard, max Barrier ASAP.

As soon as you can do the Sol mission, do it. Go Shock Trooper. Max it.

Get a shotgun.

Set AI to use all powers.

Get Lift asap after the other poo poo.

Get Medium Armor when you can. Grab Adrenaline Burst if you want, fights should never actually last that long.

Run around bumrushing everything and blasting/meleeing it in the face while pure chaos erupts around you. It doesn't matter who you bring with you, just make sure between both of them you have Master Decryption and Master Electronics so you can hack All the Things. If you want maximum chaos, bring Kaidan and Liara/Wrex, speccing them for Lift and Push with the best cooldown stuff you can find. Duration doesn't matter, nothing will live long enough for it to matter. Give them fire and toxin ammo to add some variety to death effects. You should use cryo.

It's quite fun and bypasses any tedium of ever needing cover, caring about where your allies are/what they're doing, or basically even caring about tactics at all. Just pretend it's Doom 2 and you just picked up the Super Shotgun. :black101:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 27, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Simone Magus posted:

Last time I played 2 and 3 was in 720p. This owns for me.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Most of my playthroughs of 2 and 3 were on a CRT television so this is all amazing to me lol

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't fault Zaaed for that whole refinery business because it was evident the place could have been lit up by a cigarette butt.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Last time I played 2 and 3 was in 720p. This owns for me.

I was thinking about my graphical complaints and realized that in many ways they show significant PC bias. While I did play ME1 on Xbox360 originally, I bought it on PC as soon as it was released and have played it and it's sequels on PC exclusively since then. This has allowed me to run at high resolutions with higher frame rates and lower loading times. If I'm feeling particularly motivated I can even install hi res texture mods.

Now original ME1 at 4k still has low res textures by default, but it looks a hell of a lot better than ME1 at 720p.

People who played on console are probably seeing a bigger difference then I am in graphics.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

TheGreySpectre posted:

Has anyone tried playing an infiltrator in ME2 in the legendary version? If so did they fix the ammo issues the sniper rifle had?

Yup, been playing through as an Infiltrator on Insanity.

There have been a few times where I've had to Cloak and run around looking looking ammo in ME2 and ME3, but I've never really had an issue with running out completely for a prolonged period of time - one or two cases where I might have had to mop up after a fight using a pistol, but yeah, nothing that's been frustrating or difficult.

Also for the person who mentioned Flare in the Omega DLC - you unlock it for Shep afterwards. It's fantastic. Lash is also really good, though - it works through shields and barriers. And detonates.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zaeed's loyalty mission is a transparent callback to the story Anderson tells about the mission that dropped his Spectre consideration. Shep has the opportunity to be a better Saren than Saren was.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zaaed's mission is also Bring Down the Sky again, this time without the prefab rooms and the loving mines.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

There are saves on Nexus right before the ceremony to save you time.

So does the save not even have to be your own? It just has to be *a* save?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SettingSun posted:

Zaeed's loyalty mission is a transparent callback to the story Anderson tells about the mission that dropped his Spectre consideration. Shep has the opportunity to be a better Saren than Saren was.

Huh. Well, not *that* transparent surely, cause this fucker didn't figure it out. So obviously it's buried deep in the meta paratext.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

I 100% read all of Anderson's words in Keith David's voice. Keith David from SR4, albeit.

I also gave up around chapter three.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's the one where Kai Leng assassinates Anderson's cereal.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is The worst mission?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Probably the ME1 freighter full of biotics. Because it's not enough that they ragdoll-lock your rear end, oh no. They also have to only deal chip damage to you. That's what make it fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Out of all the missions in all the games? I hate the side mission in ME1 where you have to land on like 5 different planets and take out geth outposts.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
The Pyjack mission in ME1 if you don't look up where to go. You can legit drive to 6 different spots on that planet, manually checking every monkey. At least the Geth mission has the bases labeled..

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kobal2 posted:

Probably the ME1 freighter full of biotics. Because it's not enough that they ragdoll-lock your rear end, oh no. They also have to only deal chip damage to you. That's what make it fun.

It's this, if you care about civilian casualties. I had to reload multiple times because one civilian would get vaporized in the last seconds of the fight over and over again.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

several missions in Andromeda require you to go down to a planet to find a Thing

The Thing potentially spawns in one of five different places

The Thing does not always spawn when you go to the planet so if it isn't in any of the five places, you have to take off and land again

Incredibly hostile game design

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pattonesque posted:

several missions in Andromeda require you to go down to a planet to find a Thing

I meant the worst mission, not the worst game.

I'm content for Mass Effec to be a one-and-done trilogy, because all the creatve leads who built the universe have since left Bioware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pattonesque posted:

Incredibly hostile game design

talk to guy to start quest

go back to ship

[load screen + long take off cutscene plays]

check email from guy

[load screen + long landing cutscene plays]

go back to guy to tell him you checked your email

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

I meant the worst mission, not the worst game.

I'm content for Mass Effec to be a one-and-done trilogy, because all the creatve leads who built the universe have since left Bioware.

good news! https://segmentnext.com/2020/12/16/trilogy-devs-mass-effect-4/

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Polaron posted:

It's this, if you care about civilian casualties. I had to reload multiple times because one civilian would get vaporized in the last seconds of the fight over and over again.

All you have to do is walk in, aggro everyone and then walk out to the entrance room. The cups won't chase you with the bad guys and you can gun the lit down without fearing collateral damage.

Fuzz posted:

For those struggling with 1's gameplay, I've found a hilariously fun way to play:

Go Vanguard, max Barrier ASAP.

As soon as you can do the Sol mission, do it. Go Shock Trooper. Max it.

Get a shotgun.

Set AI to use all powers.

Get Lift asap after the other poo poo.

Get Medium Armor when you can. Grab Adrenaline Burst if you want, fights should never actually last that long.

Run around bumrushing everything and blasting/meleeing it in the face while pure chaos erupts around you. It doesn't matter who you bring with you, just make sure between both of them you have Master Decryption and Master Electronics so you can hack All the Things. If you want maximum chaos, bring Kaidan and Liara/Wrex, speccing them for Lift and Push with the best cooldown stuff you can find. Duration doesn't matter, nothing will live long enough for it to matter. Give them fire and toxin ammo to add some variety to death effects. You should use cryo.

It's quite fun and bypasses any tedium of ever needing cover, caring about where your allies are/what they're doing, or basically even caring about tactics at all. Just pretend it's Doom 2 and you just picked up the Super Shotgun. :black101:

I tried an adept because I've never played one before this and boy howdy are you right that barrier is broken in all the right ways. It was a huge shock to me when I started 2 and died repeatedly because I was just wandering around out of cover out of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

FoolyCharged posted:

All you have to do is walk in, aggro everyone and then walk out to the entrance room. The cups won't chase you with the bad guys and you can gun the lit down without fearing collateral damage.

I would do that, but one of the cultists on the left would fire off a Warp immediately upon aggro and there was a doctor in the path who would never, ever move no matter how long I waited. Once I figured out how to avoid that, the head biotic guy would never come down the corridor and I'd have to go in after him.