Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

itry posted:

Looking at the Bleem! example, they won the legal battle but went bankrupt because of it.

This is true but it set a legal precedent that would make it easier to win cases like this if it ever happened again, also Konami/Gog has a lot more money than Bleem! ever did so Sony would probably think twice about taking them to court, especially considering the already mentioned precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

itry posted:

Hey, Zombies Ate My Neighbors getting released is great. That's the kind of precedent I was looking for. Aren't the Disney games using DOSBox though?
It contains SNES, Genesis and GBA games. The SNK 40th Collection includes NES games.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I understand it, even on the Japanese side of things there's confusion. When Capcom first started doing their re-release stuff, they thought they had to get explicit permission from Nintendo to port/emulate the Megaman games.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

As I understand it, even on the Japanese side of things there's confusion. When Capcom first started doing their re-release stuff, they thought they had to get explicit permission from Nintendo to port/emulate the Megaman games.

Copyright/Trademark law being confusing poo poo regardless of country is a universal constant

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Summer sale is up, along with four new releases, half of which are trash: Sleeping Dogs (brilliant, play it if you haven't already), Thi4f (killed a beloved franchise even harder than thief 3 did), OpenTTD (it's free and you already have it) and the Witchaven series (used by the US government to torture prisoners)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Not gonna lie, sleeping dogs drm-free does tempt me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ilmucche posted:

If you have already have it on Steam or UPlay, you can certainly just let Sleeping Dogs lie.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Summer sale is up, along with four new releases, half of which are trash: Sleeping Dogs (brilliant, play it if you haven't already), Thi4f (killed a beloved franchise even harder than thief 3 did), OpenTTD (it's free and you already have it) and the Witchaven series (used by the US government to torture prisoners)

OpenTTD's a surprise. I always thought that kinda slid under the radar as a fan game?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

OpenTTD's a surprise. I always thought that kinda slid under the radar as a fan game?

I was surprised too. I am kind of hoping now that they put up OpenRCT2, but I won't hold my breath.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

JustJeff88 posted:

If you have already have it on Steam or UPlay, you can certainly just let Sleeping Dogs lie.

oh no

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ilmucche posted:

:same: even though I wasn't planning a replay

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It satisfies my need to drive a motorcycle around Hong kong and listen to hudson mohawke and rustie

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

The Silent Hill 2 port isn't great on account of a small external team in the UK being lumped with porting a Japanese codebase from one Xbox DVD to two PC CDs in just five months, with all sort of technical issues involving handling the assets complicating matters. The Enhanced Edition mod backports uncompressed assets from the console versions, restores missing visual effects and adds native widescreen support and roughly a trillion bugfixes to create a definitive version of the game.

The lighting in particular looks much better with the enhanced mod, but I find the screenshot you picked to show it off hilarious because it adds depth of field, but you can't really tell with only seeing the right half of the frame (the depth of field is based on the urinal being in focus) so it looks like the enhanced edition is just really smeared compared to the vanilla in that picture :cheeky:

The textures look absolutely identical though, seems like lighting and DoF are where it really makes a difference. (But still nice)

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Any stand out deals in the summer sale? I was thinking of Möbius Front, but Zachtronics games have had a habit of being in a Humble Monthly pretty quick after release these days.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm one of the rare people that didn't have this, and by getting it off of GOG I also got Jill of the Jungle for free.

Bonus!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Any stand out deals in the summer sale? I was thinking of Möbius Front, but Zachtronics games have had a habit of being in a Humble Monthly pretty quick after release these days.

Also, from what I've heard, it's not very good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

itry posted:

:same: even though I wasn't planning a replay

I just started a replay. It's been like a year since I've played it so why not. Debating going double cop face from the get go so I can stop caring about everything

I think I might hit max cop face right before the wedding, which would be :discourse:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

grabbed Blade Runner in this sale. going in mostly blind, gonna be a trip.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Why is Sanitarium not on sale :arghfist:
Looks like it was 80% off at one time, but I don't remember seeing it https://isthereanydeal.com/game/sanitarium/info/

ilmucche posted:

I just started a replay. It's been like a year since I've played it so why not. Debating going double cop face from the get go so I can stop caring about everything

I think I might hit max cop face right before the wedding, which would be :discourse:

Why does the game not have a pork bun face is what I want to know

itry fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 16, 2021

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Snagged up a bunch of the classics during this sale. Didn't feel right not to have copies of the Doom and Thief games. Also looking forward to playing through Dark Forces II again, I played the hell out of that game when I was a kid.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

It's a solid strategy game but nothing amazing or anything. You could buy XCOM 2 or Battletech for the same price right now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

bees x1000 posted:

grabbed Blade Runner in this sale. going in mostly blind, gonna be a trip.

Let me know of any outstanding bugs and other issues you might encounter.
I've been making a new pass on my notes for things to fix (and restore) these days.
Managed to squash a few bugs in the latest development builds of ScummVM.
(so much more stuff to be done still, so little time)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Heads Up:

GOG posted:

We’d like to inform you that, on publisher's request, Ultima Underworld 1+2, Syndicate Plus and Syndicate Wars will be delisted from our catalog on Monday, June 28th, 1 PM UTC.

For everyone who purchased the titles prior to delisting, they will remain in their GOG library.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo I guess it's time to finally snag a copy of syndicate

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Well that's lame, and weirdly specific.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Who knows if they plan on doing a re-release like the C&C Collection.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guillermus posted:

Will they finally give us the ability to see inside buildings :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's not all bad news. For those who are not following the free games thread, GOG is giving away for the next... 48h(?) the three (recent) Shadowrun games. Check on the homepage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Guillermus posted:

If I were EA five years ago, I'd be looking at the success of XCOM and XCOM2, looking back to screenshots of Syndicate which I own, looking back to screenshots of XCOM, then making some calls.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
EA only delists things for good reason, right? Right?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Origin exclusive titles, most likely.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Speaking of giveaways, is there any significant difference between ARMA (the one they just had for free prior to Shadowrun) and Operation Flashpoint? I played Flashpoint back when it came out, and liked it, but don't know if I'd take a look at ARMA if there's nothing new there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kangra posted:

Speaking of giveaways, is there any significant difference between ARMA (the one they just had for free prior to Shadowrun) and Operation Flashpoint? I played Flashpoint back when it came out, and liked it, but don't know if I'd take a look at ARMA if there's nothing new there.
ARMA: Cold War Assault is the original Operation Flashpoint with some extra bug fixes, the Resistance expansion pack, and a name change due to Codemasters owning the trademark on the original name.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ARMA: Cold War Assault is extremely dated but somehow I find it drat fun to play compared to ARMA 2. ARMA 3 is something that I never got to play with goons and I'd love to.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

It's not all bad news. For those who are not following the free games thread, GOG is giving away for the next... 48h(?) the three (recent) Shadowrun games. Check on the homepage.

There's a free games thread?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Breadallelogram posted:

There's a free games thread?

Two in fact.

Free Games (that have always been free)
Free games (that used to be not free)

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, it's been around since 2016 and I never noticed it. Thanks!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kangra posted:

Arma Cold War Assault is exactly the same game it was back in 2001 when it was called Flashpoint. If you never played the Resistance campaign that might be worth it but that is just as janky as the original campaign. And speaking honestly as much as I like the games they fall apart in single player the second they ask you to start commanding the AI.

If there’s any confusion Arma Gold Edition was the actual first game in the Arma series after they started using the Arma name.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Entorwellian posted:

Origin exclusive titles, most likely.

I'm looking at it, and on Origin, all of these games are being sold for $4.99 a pop.

As opposed to $4.99 for both Ultima Underworld games together.

So I'm guessing EA doesn't want to do bundles for some ridiculous reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cross posting from the free games thread.

Symphonia which just released on GOG. I think it will stay free after its launch window, but I couldn't find the confirmation so if you care about that grab it now.

Or try it because it's a cool, short platformer. Check the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBFINiokGIU