Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wireguard was astoundingly easy to setup on docker. Like I should have done this months ago. It took less than 5 minutes from hitting deploy on that docker image to having all 3 of my devices setup and going on a vpn to my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wireguard was astoundingly easy to setup on docker. Like I should have done this months ago. It took less than 5 minutes from hitting deploy on that docker image to having all 3 of my devices setup and going on a vpn to my home.

Does it set up DNS and forwarding of packets too? Thinking of moving my wire guard off of digital ocean and hosting it myself. Would be cool to just drop a docker image on the server instead of configuring by hand.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

withoutclass posted:

Does it set up DNS and forwarding of packets too? Thinking of moving my wire guard off of digital ocean and hosting it myself. Would be cool to just drop a docker image on the server instead of configuring by hand.

You can set the DNS to whatever you want in the docker image. If you leave it as auto it'll default to whatever the docker host's DNS is set to.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Milkman posted:

Well I managed to find a couple SuperMicro CSE-M35TQB on some custom pc builder shop for.. more than I originally wanted to spend but much less than they're going for elsewhere. Anyone know if the fan it comes with is the typical enterprise 'we absolutely do not care about acoustics'? Not sure if I should just preemptively buy some noctuas.

edit: I'm also curious if this will obviate the need to tape/block the pin on shucked drives, that'd be a nice bonus because i'm sure the tape is gonna come off on half my disks when I remove the old connections

These finally arrived and OOTB the fans do run at 100% and loud as gently caress, and I didn't find a way to control them. But, they're just PWM so I just ran some extension cables/splitter to a header on the motherboard and they're Tolerable at lower speeds. We'll see just how tolerable if I can last until I move next year and all this gets put in a closet or something

And shucked easystores do indeed work without blocking the pin. I had gotten good at slicing those tiny pieces of tape but, hey, one less thing

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
for a very heavily used NAS I want to avoid SMR drives, right? It's both read and write heavy workload. I can raid or JBOD, either way works (have billions of files that I need to read -> process -> write multiple new file), and they are a lot of tiny 1-10MB files.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Biowarfare posted:

for a very heavily used NAS I want to avoid SMR drives, right? It's both read and write heavy workload. I can raid or JBOD, either way works (have billions of files that I need to read -> process -> write multiple new file), and they are a lot of tiny 1-10MB files.

Like the plague.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Biowarfare posted:

This is basically the worst-case scenario for SMR drives. Do not use. You will regret it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, don't do that.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
What is the best case? Straight through continuous read of a single non fragmented large file?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Biowarfare posted:

What is the best case? Straight through continuous read of a single non fragmented large file?

Best case would be write once read many like the old Worm drive idea. Like, if instead of burning cds or dvds you just used smr disks. Changing the data seems to be the point at which they have to rewrite whole portions to include the new data.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I've never bought them on purpose but I find SMR fine for saving media and not rewriting things/calculating realtime parity (and Snapraid pairs fairly well with it). It also works pretty well as a backup target or drives for security camera software. Writing big slabs of data gets you fairly normal speed, it's when you have to rewrite lots of existing data or work in block sizes smaller than the SMR stripes.

It'd be great if they made these a separate type of drives for sale that was cheaper than regular drives. Maybe the Chia idiots would buy them all up and leave normal drives for everyone else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Once corrective receive lands, there may be a legitimate use-case for SMR drives using ZFS, if you send the ZFS snapshots straight to the character device rather than creating a filesystem to store the snapshots.
It's probably not going to be cheaper than sa(4) devices, which is what you're effectively emulating - so if you've got a tape library, that's always going to be the way to go.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

If you could chunk them into larger streams and never write to the same pool you're reading from you could make this work. It would be a fundamental change to your workflow though. Basically you would make them into xMB sized chunky files (think `tar | split` your files.) the "x" would be whatever block size SMR needs.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

H110Hawk posted:

If you could chunk them into larger streams and never write to the same pool you're reading from you could make this work. It would be a fundamental change to your workflow though. Basically you would make them into xMB sized chunky files (think `tar | split` your files.) the "x" would be whatever block size SMR needs.

my current "cheapshit-drives" nas for rarely used things is a dozen shucked SMR WD 4TBs.

unfortunately they can't be chunked (they're individual data files), but I could potentially write them to another disk? like if i jbod DISK1 and DISK2 separately, there should be no smr impact if i do a read through DISK1, process it in cpu/mem, then write the result files out onto DISK2.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Last fall I bought a Wyzecam, reflashed it and have been using Motion/motioneye to record and dump to my FreeNAS box. Well today I got an alert email that my pool usage had gone over 80%. Turns out I forgot that the dataset I've been saving to has hourly and monthly snapshots and those were taking up about 12 TB.

Created a dataset just for the camera and deleted some of the older snaps and now I'm back to about 60% usage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

phosdex posted:

Last fall I bought a Wyzecam, reflashed it and have been using Motion/motioneye to record and dump to my FreeNAS box. Well today I got an alert email that my pool usage had gone over 80%. Turns out I forgot that the dataset I've been saving to has hourly and monthly snapshots and those were taking up about 12 TB.

Created a dataset just for the camera and deleted some of the older snaps and now I'm back to about 60% usage.

Classic. What's this flashable camera you speak of? Is this a way to get a ip camera (onvif compatible?) for the price of a sketchy Chinese foscam deal?

Biowarfare posted:

my current "cheapshit-drives" nas for rarely used things is a dozen shucked SMR WD 4TBs.

unfortunately they can't be chunked (they're individual data files), but I could potentially write them to another disk? like if i jbod DISK1 and DISK2 separately, there should be no smr impact if i do a read through DISK1, process it in cpu/mem, then write the result files out onto DISK2.

What I'm proposing would be a massive overhaul of your data to square peg it into a SMR round hole. You would be chunking them together in your reads and writes so that you always read or write an entire shingle. You would need to start input and output buffering, gain host control over the SMR portion, etc.

It's dumb. You would need to not think about them as single files for the actual block i/o portion.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

Classic. What's this flashable camera you speak of? Is this a way to get a ip camera (onvif compatible?) for the price of a sketchy Chinese foscam deal?

Following

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I have a Wyzecam v2 and flashed it with one of these https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks. Before I flashed it, I ran it normally with https://www.ispyconnect.com/. The Wyzecam on it's own is constantly trying to connect to wyze and some other sites. So I blocked them. But then you can't control the camera via the app. Also if you're blocking this stuff, it tries like every 10 seconds to connect and was making my query logs on my pi-hole kind of crazy. Then the timestamps started drifting and I couldn't fix it without unblocking everything. So I flashed it with one of those firmwares, switched to motion+motioneye and that's where I'm at now.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
On this subject,

Is there a decent onvif docker dvr server that I can run in unraid?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hello all! I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have 7 disk unraid server (two of which are parity) and has been running super smooth for a very long time. I am in the process of moving and needed to move my UPS to get access to a box. I didn't realize that the power to my JBOD was super tight and it fell out while the server was running.

I shutdown the server, checked connections, and rebooted. Parity 1 and Disk 4 are showing as "device is disabled, contents emulated". The other night I ran the SMART self test and it came back fine. Started the extended and it froze up at 90% for both drives after having it run for more than 12 hours.

I just got the machine set back up at my new place behind a UPS and ready to start solving this problem.

I'm not sure what my next course of action is, as the parity disk is also impacted. Had it only been the data disk, I think I would just remove it and readd, to restore the array back to before. I assume Parity 2 is the redundant parity?

Really appreciate input here, managing this is the last thing I need as I'm trying to oversee contractors and move!!! If I can kick off a long rebuild process, now would be the time as I and the family are busy with this.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

TraderStav posted:

Hello all! I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have 7 disk unraid server (two of which are parity) and has been running super smooth for a very long time. I am in the process of moving and needed to move my UPS to get access to a box. I didn't realize that the power to my JBOD was super tight and it fell out while the server was running.

I shutdown the server, checked connections, and rebooted. Parity 1 and Disk 4 are showing as "device is disabled, contents emulated". The other night I ran the SMART self test and it came back fine. Started the extended and it froze up at 90% for both drives after having it run for more than 12 hours.

I just got the machine set back up at my new place behind a UPS and ready to start solving this problem.

I'm not sure what my next course of action is, as the parity disk is also impacted. Had it only been the data disk, I think I would just remove it and readd, to restore the array back to before. I assume Parity 2 is the redundant parity?

Really appreciate input here, managing this is the last thing I need as I'm trying to oversee contractors and move!!! If I can kick off a long rebuild process, now would be the time as I and the family are busy with this.

You can remove/readd your parity disk in this situation- since you have two parity disks, the surviving parity will rebuild your data disk, and your failed parity will rebuild itself in the same time. Unraid doesn't make a distinction for which parity disk is allowed to fail if you have two- either can fail and you can still rebuild it plus one data disk.

You'll have zero protection during the rebuild, but you know that- if you have confidence in those disks to not have actually failed, simply remove them, start the array in maintenance mode, stop it, readd them, restart the array, and hopefully bob's your uncle.

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 21, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SolusLunes posted:

You can remove/readd your parity disk in this situation- since you have two parity disks, the surviving parity will rebuild your data disk, and your failed parity will rebuild itself in the same time. Unraid doesn't make a distinction for which parity disk is allowed to fail if you have two- either can fail and you can still rebuild it plus one data disk.

You'll have zero protection during the rebuild, but you know that- if you have confidence in those disks to not have actually failed, simply remove them, start the array in maintenance mode, stop it, readd them, restart the array, and hopefully bob's your uncle.

Do you recommend that I do remove and readd the parity first, let that rebuild and then do the data disk? I've never done this so nervous about removing the data disk.

E: when I readd do I restart the array in maintenance mode or normal/mount the drives?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 21, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also thank you for the very quick reply!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I see the process if you are replacing the drive, but for the same drive I'm struggling a bit here. When I remove the drive from array I'm scared that I start the array in that mode it'll wipe the disk from future rebuilding. I tried rebooting after removing it but when I restarted it was still shown as assigned to Disk 4. Do I:

A. Unassign the drive, power down, disconnect the physical drive, power up, power down reconnect and then reassign (provided it doesn't default back to being assigned)

B. Have no fear about starting the array in maintenance mode with the drive unassigned but still physically connected

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I see the process if you are replacing the drive, but for the same drive I'm struggling a bit here. When I remove the drive from array I'm scared that I start the array in that mode it'll wipe the disk from future rebuilding. I tried rebooting after removing it but when I restarted it was still shown as assigned to Disk 4. Do I:

A. Unassign the drive, power down, disconnect the physical drive, power up, power down reconnect and then reassign (provided it doesn't default back to being assigned)

B. Have no fear about starting the array in maintenance mode with the drive unassigned but still physically connected

A actually will not work as you've written it, since you don't start the array.

So you'll go for B. Your steps are as follows:

0. (optional) If you're feeling especially paranoid, take your physical Disk 4 and copy it onto a different device- all the files are still there at the moment, until step 6.
1. Stop your array if you haven't already.
2. Unassign your Parity 1 and Disk 4 drives. (Remember which goes where, though!)
3. Start the array in maintenance mode. (I only recommend maintenance mode for speed- it skips mounting disks, docker startup, and VM startup. You CAN do a regular start, but why would you?)
4. Stop the array.
5. Reassign your Parity 1 and Disk 4 drives.
6. Start the array, and let the parity sync/rebuild do its thing.

In your situation, I'd recommend doing both disks at once, simply because then you don't have to do a full-array read twice.

Yes, this will actually technically wipe your physical disk 4! (and your parity drive, but who cares, it doesn't store data.) However, parity will emulate that data, so it'll still show as on Disk 4 (even with the array started without your problematic disks).

When you restart your array the second time, you'll get a warning saying that "all data on this drive will be OVERWRITTEN" for your removed+replaced drives, but that's fine- it'll get overwritten with the parity-emulated data, and until the rebuild is completed, all data from disk 4 will be served via parity emulation. Unraid will not delete the data from the array unless you for some reason make it format a drive.

SolusLunes fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 21, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thank you! I like the idea of backing up the drive. Need to find a spare that I can copy it to and may go that route. I feel a lot more confident about my path forward. Many many thanks.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Thank you! I like the idea of backing up the drive. Need to find a spare that I can copy it to and may go that route. I feel a lot more confident about my path forward. Many many thanks.

Not a problem! I've done this particular dance more than I'd like to admit, due to a dodgy HBA card.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Also, god, the OP is so incredibly out of date nowadays. Should get on writing a new one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Last thing, as I'm in a move I'm a bit limited on hardware. In this state, can I get an external from BB and do the disk transfer on unraid? Should be able to do from the array in maintenance mode and start krusader? Or should I make a trip to the old place and get an old desktop and mount it there.

Obviously the first is preferable but if it's not possible I'll have no choice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SolusLunes posted:

Also, god, the OP is so incredibly out of date nowadays. Should get on writing a new one.

If anyone wants to, I'm happy to help change it over.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Last thing, as I'm in a move I'm a bit limited on hardware. In this state, can I get an external from BB and do the disk transfer on unraid? Should be able to do from the array in maintenance mode and start krusader? Or should I make a trip to the old place and get an old desktop and mount it there.

Obviously the first is preferable but if it's not possible I'll have no choice.

Wouldn't recommend doing the copy using the unraid box- you'll need to have the array started and disks mounted to copy data off of it- maintenance mode does not mount the disks. In that case, you'll be copying from the parity emulation data, not the physical disk, and putting those reads across your entire (unprotected) array. I'd suggest going to get your old desktop if you're wanting to copy over that disk.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SolusLunes posted:

Wouldn't recommend doing the copy using the unraid box- you'll need to have the array started and disks mounted to copy data off of it, and in that case, you'll be copying from the parity emulation data, not the physical disk, and putting those reads across your entire (unprotected) array. I'd suggest going to get your old desktop if you're wanting to copy over that disk.

Thank you! Still going to be several days until my network rack gets moved over here, wired up and all that so several days copying/rebuilding is fine by me. I completely forgot the way unraid saves files are easily retrievable by other OS.

Plus I'll have another drive maybe for the array after this!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Thank you! Still going to be several days until my network rack gets moved over here, wired up and all that so several days copying/rebuilding is fine by me. I completely forgot the way unraid saves files are easily retrievable by other OS.

Plus I'll have another drive maybe for the array after this!

Oh yeah! I should've restated that, yeah, a disk out of unraid is just regular old XFS (or btrfs, or reiserFS if you're terrible). So, yeah. Easy peasy to read and copy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Amazon has a slight discount on this little guy for prime day: https://smile.amazon.com/TerraMaste...1_5b52ce5e&th=1

How well would it work for a home movie server? Pretty much just want to be able to stream from it to a TV or tablet. I'm suspicious that it's so much cheaper than Synology and QNAP 4 bay appliances.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

LLSix posted:

Amazon has a slight discount on this little guy for prime day: https://smile.amazon.com/TerraMaste...1_5b52ce5e&th=1

How well would it work for a home movie server? Pretty much just want to be able to stream from it to a TV or tablet. I'm suspicious that it's so much cheaper than Synology and QNAP 4 bay appliances.

Should work, but don't expect transcoding- apparently it's the model without the hardware transcoding bits, and it definitely doesn't have enough raw CPU grunt to transcode on its own.

Reviews say the software sucks though, so beware. Or just flash your own.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
It's ARM. Synology is similarly priced for their ARM/Realtek devices (that quite literally can't even do https data transfer at line rate)

Also lol it has no relation to cooler master, just a 99% identical logo

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SolusLunes posted:

Should work, but don't expect transcoding- apparently it's the model without the hardware transcoding bits, and it definitely doesn't have enough raw CPU grunt to transcode on its own.

Reviews say the software sucks though, so beware. Or just flash your own.

Thank you very much. I'll hold off until I can afford a QNAP then.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

phosdex posted:

I have a Wyzecam v2 and flashed it with one of these https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks. Before I flashed it, I ran it normally with https://www.ispyconnect.com/. The Wyzecam on it's own is constantly trying to connect to wyze and some other sites. So I blocked them. But then you can't control the camera via the app. Also if you're blocking this stuff, it tries like every 10 seconds to connect and was making my query logs on my pi-hole kind of crazy. Then the timestamps started drifting and I couldn't fix it without unblocking everything. So I flashed it with one of those firmwares, switched to motion+motioneye and that's where I'm at now.

Neat. Looks like if it comes with latest firmware you're out of luck. That's a shame. I wish there was a trustworthy camera reliably within the price point of the super shady ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Holy cow, this drive actually may have gotten fried. Still a young one too. I slapped it in an external and hoped I could make it easy on myself. Couldn't be read by windows or mac, but windows saw something there I thought (showing up as 16TB, oddly) . Thinking it needed a direct connection put in a desktop and not even bios can see it.

Any deals on 12gb? Maybe need to shuck this 8gb easy store I just picked up and hope it isn't SMR. At least to restore the data and move it to the free space on the array until sales come in.

e: Remembered I kept all the enclosures that I shucked these drives from. I must've been using an old enclosure that didn't support the drive. Windows disk management sees the drive, but it's not mountable. Going to try on Mac, but wanted to update so folks weren't providing input on the wrong problem.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
if it's part of an array, or parity, wouldn't they just be block level deltas that are not visible as individual files or a ntfs/fat filesystem within windows?