Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

iroguebot posted:

I posted a few months back about thinking about getting one of the Trek hybrid bikes for primarily paved bike path riding with the occasional gravel/dirt path, ideally I was looking at the Trek Dual Sport version but never could find one in stock at my local Bike Barn shop. Anyways they have a Marlin 6 in stock that looks pretty nice, is about 100 more than what I was looking to spend on the Dual Sport 2, but I guess my question is if people have similar bikes and ride on a similar situation, how do they feel? I also think the shop has a Dual Sport 1 in for like 500-600, and the Marlin 6 is 750ish

Go check out the Giant Escapes at Urban Bicycle Gallery - it might hit that sweet spot you're not finding in the Treks for price and also ensuring you're set for the Houston Bayou paths.

There is also a shop in the Heights called Cykl that is closing this weekend. You can get an incredible deal (30% off) and they may have a Brookyln Roebling or something like that in stock.

To answer your question, I live in the same city and ride the same paths and those are my recommendations. However, if you get more serious about cycling, you may want to get a drop bar bike eventually, just be prepared for that future expense if you get super into cycling.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Hey bike thread. I know some of you are in the greater Seattle area. If you are, this weekend (and some future weekends, too, but more importantly this weekend!) you've got a chance to try out riding on a track bike at the Jerry Baker Memorial Velodrome in Redmond.
No track bike required - we've got a fleet of sweet track bikes that you can use.
No fixed gear or racing experience required - we'll reach you what you need to know.
COVID-safe protocols - masked riding, staying distanced, outdoors. This is about having fun learning first hand what riding fixed on a banked track is all about, not about getting a heavy-breathing workout or tight pacelines.
An hour of new experience, all for just $10.
Check out https://www.velodrome.org for more information.

And hey, if you aren't in the greater Seattle area, you should check out if you've got a local velodrome to try out. It's a unique and fun flavor of cycling that most folks never get a chance to experience.

I know it’s a long shot, but is there another one of these this weekend? I didn’t see it on the velodrome site but it couldn’t hurt to ask. I’m in town this weekend and unexpectedly have free time tomorrow.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I know it’s a long shot, but is there another one of these this weekend? I didn’t see it on the velodrome site but it couldn’t hurt to ask. I’m in town this weekend and unexpectedly have free time tomorrow.

Sorta! There's a full adult class Saturday (tomorrow/today depending on when you read this).
12 to 4.

Send an email to admin@velodrome.org if that timing works for you.

Bring a helmet. If you have pedals/shoes bring those too, but no worries if not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

I rode a road bike for the first time since my crash today.

I'm also off the bike for a while - was going down a slight hill, hit a pot hole which sent me into a ditch face first before flipping over. Despite a reasonably horrific list of injuries - broke my hand, broke my jaw, needed facial surgery, broke my back in 7 places - came out of it pretty well in that I didn't damage any joints, didn't lose any teeth and should make a full recovery in a couple of months. Also there appears to be no damage to the bike, barely even a scratch???

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm also off the bike for a while - was going down a slight hill, hit a pot hole which sent me into a ditch face first before flipping over. Despite a reasonably horrific list of injuries - broke my hand, broke my jaw, needed facial surgery, broke my back in 7 places - came out of it pretty well in that I didn't damage any joints, didn't lose any teeth and should make a full recovery in a couple of months. Also there appears to be no damage to the bike, barely even a scratch???

Jeeeeeez

Bad times for bike accidents recently, friend just slid out on his brand new top end SL7 and more importantly one of the London clubs had someone killed by a range rover on a club ride.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Heal up, friend.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Jeeeeeez

Bad times for bike accidents recently, friend just slid out on his brand new top end SL7 and more importantly one of the London clubs had someone killed by a range rover on a club ride.

:stare:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sadly they had to cut my bearpope off me in the ambulance, rip friend

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sadly they had to cut my bearpope off me in the ambulance, rip friend

I just lost my shorts when I had my accident. I'm glad you're okay my friend. My best made had a similar accident but managed to come out of it with just bruising. He puts it down to his size and the very large leylandii hedge he went into.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Sorta! There's a full adult class Saturday (tomorrow/today depending on when you read this).
12 to 4.

Bring a helmet. If you have pedals/shoes bring those too, but no worries if not.

I appreciate the response! I sent them an email this morning to see if I can registered late, hopefully I’ll get a chance to try the velodrome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

I had a guy pull out on me at a roundabout so pretty normal for commuting.
LMAO what a country

MrL_JaKiri posted:

JFC, get well quick bud

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's some serious poo poo, hope you heal up well. I'd never wish that on my worst enemy.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

drat! Hope you heal up quick.

I love that no matter the severity of the injuries, everyone is most concerned about not losing teeth.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

PolishPandaBear posted:

I love that no matter the severity of the injuries, everyone is most concerned about not losing teeth.
Second only to "is the bike ok??"

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

drat. Hope you heal quickly and it's great that you should be hale and hearty again soon. That sounds like a loving terrifying accident.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I tried working on cadence today after apparently riding a bicycle wrong forever, and it feels crazy to work at 90 rpm. 70 felt comfortable, 80 felt weird and I'm not sure I have the fitness for 90-100 over long stretches of time.

I'm sure it will get better with work and practice but drat did I feel like a fool today. Spent most of the morning on a 30 mile ride in a 70ish cadence.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Thank you all. Super frustrating to be stuck inside during some great weather too.

Sab0921 posted:

I tried working on cadence today after apparently riding a bicycle wrong forever, and it feels crazy to work at 90 rpm. 70 felt comfortable, 80 felt weird and I'm not sure I have the fitness for 90-100 over long stretches of time.

It's not fitness so much as conditioning the muscles - practice will make things improve super fast.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sab0921 posted:

I'm sure it will get better with work and practice but drat did I feel like a fool today. Spent most of the morning on a 30 mile ride in a 70ish cadence.

In my experience it's surprisingly trainable.
As you're learning it, I'll comment that faster cadence feels better at slightly higher effort. It feels weird to spin fast when you're just doing a recovery-pace ride.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bicievino posted:

In my experience it's surprisingly trainable.
As you're learning it, I'll comment that faster cadence feels better at slightly higher effort. It feels weird to spin fast when you're just doing a recovery-pace ride.

I am fat and slow. Every ride is recovery pace!

But also thank you. For someone like you, what does a recovery pace ride mean?

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 18, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sab0921 posted:

I am fat and slow.

Same

Sab0921 posted:

For someone like you, what does a recovery pace ride mean?

I think a recovery pace ride is when you do a ride at a slower pace and keep your HR at zone 1 and zone 2. Usually done after you do a ride where you went to the upper zones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lmao I'm trying to buy a shimano Y5ZS22000 (it's a $2 cap for front derailleur) and can't find them in stock anywhere in us and the prices range from 15-50 dollars on eBay from international sellers

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Recovery pace isn't about how fast you're going in an absolute manner, but rather how hard you're working yourself. Recovery means like "2 or 3 out of 10".

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I have my zones plotted out by heart rate but not sure if there’s a better metric. I can ride for a good 2-3 hours at 160-170bpm but once I start pushing 180+ I know I’m in a world of hurt unless I can slow down. The few times I’ve had to stop in a group ride or drop back to a slower group, I’ve noticed my heart rate was 190-200.

I have a lot of readjusting to do since not being active for the past 20 years.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

12 to 4.

For anyone who cares, this did work out and it was a wonderful experience. It was really welcoming to all fitness and interest levels and made for a super fun afternoon of bike riding with friendly people. My only regret is not living near enough to a velodrome to do it more often.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao I'm trying to buy a shimano Y5ZS22000 (it's a $2 cap for front derailleur) and can't find them in stock anywhere in us and the prices range from 15-50 dollars on eBay from international sellers

https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/shimano-dura-ace-fd-r9100-front-derailleur-link-cover-y5zs22000/171629.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
doesn't appear they ship to us?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BraveUlysses posted:

doesn't appear they ship to us?

try this, shipping might be ungodly because it's UK but will prob still be better than ebay https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-duraace-fdr9100-link-cover-y5zs22000/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Small parcel to the US is only a few quid, it could probably be a letter it's that small

If you're super desperate order it to one of us and we can forward it on

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Is there any more news on when we the wahoo power meter pedals? Last mention I can find is the press releases from march.

Alternative is I can drill my crank spindle for the team zwatt DIY one I have in my drawer but I'd need to convince the machine shop at work to do it for me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Oh nooow we’re hesitant about drilling ?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vando posted:

try this, shipping might be ungodly because it's UK but will prob still be better than ebay https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-duraace-fdr9100-link-cover-y5zs22000/

2 dollar part with 49 dollar shipping to US

lmao

thanks for looking though. i might just see if my LBS has some sitting around.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

^^^ Do you have a bike co-op in your area? They're an absolute godsend for poo poo like that.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Is there any more news on when we the wahoo power meter pedals? Last mention I can find is the press releases from march.

Alternative is I can drill my crank spindle for the team zwatt DIY one I have in my drawer but I'd need to convince the machine shop at work to do it for me.

I was holding off on replacing my Speedplays until the power pedals dropped, but got impatient and grabbed the regular ones to hold me over. They're a massive improvement over the old ones by every metric, except for some reason they replaced the Allen screws in the float adjustment system with the world's tiniest Phillips head screws, so definitely make sure your float is dialed in before you leave the house.

Also the cleat covers have aero dimples lol.

Still looking forward to the PwrLnk or whatever they're calling it, though.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BraveUlysses posted:

2 dollar part with 49 dollar shipping to US

lmao

thanks for looking though. i might just see if my LBS has some sitting around.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it's something 3d printable that someone has worked up a pattern for?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Did we do a RAGBRAI roll call here yet? I’m so loving pumped after missing last year. I ride with Team Liverstrong, and can often be found lagging the crowds by a few hours with the rest of the degenerates. Day one is going to be a doozy at 86 miles.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Vando posted:

Thinking about it, I wonder if it's something 3d printable that someone has worked up a pattern for?

I was going to offer to print one and went digging through thingiverse and STLFinder and couldn't find poo poo. :(

3D printing is great for this kind of stuff but you usually have to model it yourself. :/

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here had experience with an all-city zigzag 105?

Im mostly just fantasizing about the next bike, but it looks great.

I live in nyc and need one bike to do it all, and i love going fast. but carbon is out because i need to throw a heavy lock on it and not have it fal apart two months later if i get in a little fender bender with a taxi.

I have a giant contend 3, would this thing be appreciably faster?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I live in nyc and need one bike to do it all, and i love going fast. but carbon is out because i need to throw a heavy lock on it and not have it fal apart two months later if i get in a little fender bender with a taxi.

My best friend’s GF is a carless biker, rides about 6k miles per year, and has the purple frame zig zag 105 as her primary commuter. It’s a super nice looking bike to be sure. Not sure if you’ll notice much speed difference since you’re already on a drop bar bike. The most immediately appreciable upgrade would probably be the hydro disc brakes, but the overall bump in component quality would a nice treat if you can afford it.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Head Bee Guy posted:

I looked hard at that bike when I bought in January and it was great. I ultimately went with a Cervelo Calednoia because I have dreams of dental school.

As far as faster, I'm not the guy to ask, but I assume the speed differences between the bikes themselves are minimal and would be reflective of your fitness.

From my limited experience riding it. It was a great steel framed bike.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Oh nooow we’re hesitant about drilling ?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I went on my second group ride ever today, and holy hell I bonked hard 35 miles into a 50 mile gravel ride. The last 15 miles were agony. There were some very considerate people who waited for me at every turn on the route and made sure I got to the end, but I was probably a half hour behind the lead pack at the end.

I feel like my heart rate at gets unnecessarily high, but I assume that is largely a result of my fitness level. I was in the 165-180 range (according to Apple Watch) for 60% of the ride. After bonking I couldn't get my heart rate back down, despite going slowly. I feel like I kept spinning out, even though I was plodding along quite slowly. I made it eventually though, but goddamn I feel like I went through the ringer.

Still glad I did it, I just might have slept better, packed something other than larabars for nutrtion, and eaten better yesterday (and had less wine - No hangover but I'm sure it didn't help)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Korwen posted:

I feel like my heart rate at gets unnecessarily high, but I assume that is largely a result of my fitness level. I was in the 165-180 range (according to Apple Watch) for 60% of the ride. After bonking I couldn't get my heart rate back down, despite going slowly. I feel like I kept spinning out, even though I was plodding along quite slowly. I made it eventually though, but goddamn I feel like I went through the ringer.
That's a pretty big range really, like for me I could ride at 165 all day and 180 for maybe 10 minutes. On the other hand if 165 feels like hard work then 180 is going to be hell and it's no wonder you blew up.

Also are you sure it was a bonk and not just blowing up from the pace? Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you eat if your body just can't go any more.