Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" is a direct quote from one of the Psalms. It's not simply an outpouring of grief, it's a prayer from his liturgical tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Freudian posted:

Beloved by the Irish, but has yet to act in their favour.

:thurman:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Freudian posted:

Beloved by the Irish, but has yet to act in their favour.

:eyepop:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Spacegrass posted:

I've been going to spiritual/Christian chat rooms and the 'leader' there said Jesus was God in the flesh. I do not believe that because of the things Jesus said; for example: "My God why have you forsaken me!?", "I do the will of my Father." etc. I guess everyone has their own beliefs, but they can get really disturbing and confusing.

The Holy Trinity is a divine mystery that we aren't going to completely understand in this world.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Jesus Christ came into this world in order to live His life as an example for how we are to live our lives; same reason He got baptized, and did several other things; not because He needed to but to show us what we should do.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m having a sleep study done tonight. Please pray they find something, (hopefully apnea) that can be addressed and enable me to live a better, fuller life.

If it's any consolation I am literally in this exact situation (just diagnosed with apnea last month, a few weeks on CPAP) and I had not realized just how much I wasn't getting a good night's sleep until I suddenly was getting the support needed to not choke out in the middle of the night constantly. It is somewhat hard to get used to (I still have issues breathing through my nose for the machine, particularly with how often I'm stuffy, though part of that is the apnea trained my body to breath through the mouth) and they will probably have to adjust the pressure and such, but even a few weeks in it is a major life improvement for me just to actually be fully rested when I wake up in the morning. So I assure you it's worth doing this if you do have a problem, it has indeed been improving my life to address this.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Somehow I never realized that some people say an extra line at the end of the Lord's Prayer.

"For the kingdom and the power and the glory are yours forever."

I saw a sign with this version of the prayer at a bookstore and did a double take.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Somehow I never realized that some people say an extra line at the end of the Lord's Prayer.

I saw a sign with this version of the prayer at a bookstore and did a double take.

There are a whole bunch of minor variants that are really funny when you get a bunch of Christians who were raised in different places/from different denominations together and go SURELY WE ALL HAVE THIS IN COMMON.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Yeah, I never noticed it until I was Episcopalian. I think in Catholicism and Orthodoxy, it's traditionally supposed to be a priest who says that part, though I've seen it in some prayer books for laypeople. In Orthodoxy it's modified to "For Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages."

docbeard posted:

There are a whole bunch of minor variants that are really funny when you get a bunch of Christians who were raised in different places/from different denominations together and go SURELY WE ALL HAVE THIS IN COMMON.
This is one of the more frustrating things about Orthodoxy in America. So many different translations. A few years ago I went to a pan-Orthodox conference where at one point, we stumbled over the Nicene Creed.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

docbeard posted:

This factors in to one of my favorite episodes of Moral Orel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1yVtu9NTY

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kevin DuBrow posted:

That's in the United Methodist version, IIRC. I remember hearing it from my grandparents on my Mom's side.

"United Methodist Hymnal #270 posted:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil,
for thine is the kingdom,
and the power and the glory forever.
Amen.

https://hymnary.org/hymn/UMH/page/270

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

That's in the United Methodist version, IIRC. I remember hearing it from my grandparents on my Mom's side.

https://hymnary.org/hymn/UMH/page/270

episcopal is the same way except it's "forever and ever"

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, I never noticed it until I was Episcopalian. I think in Catholicism and Orthodoxy, it's traditionally supposed to be a priest who says that part, though I've seen it in some prayer books for laypeople. In Orthodoxy it's modified to "For Thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to the ages of ages."

"To the ages of ages" also was occasionally traditionally translated with the possibly-dubious but badass-sounding "world without end".

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

docbeard posted:

Anyway, as for the Community/Twelve Tribes themselves, I definitely got more of a "new religious movement" vibe off them than a "scam" vibe. We were not pressured to stay, or to join up though they were certainly happy to tell us about themselves and we got loaded down with literature. Mark definitely chatted me up a few times about the group after that, too, but he backed off when I wasn't interested, and I think he was pretty typical of their number, at least those I ran into. Their beliefs are absolutely not my beliefs, and I think their treatment of women in particular is appalling, but I'm not sure I'd think of them that differently from any other separatist religious group beyond that.

These memories are distant in time and space, and all tied up with my memories of my friend and her friend, so I would in no way consider myself an authority of any sort on them, just that I did meet them once. I didn't go back. And, absent a very good reason, I wouldn't.

Yeah, they are quite a rabbit hole though

https://www.thedailybeast.com/twelve-tribes-the-church-preached-child-abuse-and-slavery

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2018/darkness

quote:

The Twelve Tribes, a Christian fundamentalist cult born in the American South in the 1970s, is little-known to much of the country, and on first impression its communes and hippie-vibed restaurants and cafes can seem quaint and bucolic. But beneath the surface lies a tangle of doctrine that teaches its followers that slavery was “a marvelous opportunity” for black people, who are deemed by the Bible to be servants of whites, and that homosexuals deserve no less than death.

While homosexuals are shunned by the Twelve Tribes (though ex-members say the group brags about unnamed members who are “formerly” gay), the group actively proselytizes to African Americans, yet one of its black leaders glorifies the early Ku Klux Klan.

The Twelve Tribes tries to keep its extremist teachings on race from novice members and outsiders, but former members and experts on fringe religious movements who’ve helped its followers escape paint a dark picture of life in the group’s monastic communities — especially for black members, who must reconcile the appalling teachings on race with their own heritage and skin color.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Britney swam the Tiber, supposedly.

https://twitter.com/ZacMabry/status/1423449449959919616?s=19

St. Dymphna, please pray for her. Our Father...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't help but be skeptical given that celebrities treat their spirituality like they treat their marriages a lot of the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If there's one person who needs Jesus it's Britney. She's been through the wringer

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't help but be skeptical given that celebrities treat their spirituality like they treat their marriages a lot of the time.

I doubt any of this has to to with their celebrity and more to do with having their lives examined publicly far more than the rest of us.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I see no reason to think her conversion isn't genuine. I do know, also, that she currently has an IUD or a coil fitted and she wants rid of it. I wonder if the courts would be more amenable to that now that it's a religious requirement. Not saying she's being cynical, just wondering if that would make a difference.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I honestly hope that faith gives her comfort. Fame has done terrible things to her life and her family.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

HopperUK posted:

I see no reason to think her conversion isn't genuine. I do know, also, that she currently has an IUD or a coil fitted and she wants rid of it. I wonder if the courts would be more amenable to that now that it's a religious requirement. Not saying she's being cynical, just wondering if that would make a difference.

I try not to pay attention to celebrity stuff, but was she forced to receive the IUD due to her father having those custodian rights or whatever? If so... Mother of Mercy that is evil.

Time for some prayers then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes she was. Her family is also forcing her to perform constantly to make money that they steal from her as administrator fees.

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

mycophobia posted:

episcopal is the same way except it's "forever and ever"

Yeah. I grew up with High Church Anglicanism and it never occurred to me that this was "different" in some way. Freaking me out!

Pershing posted:

Britney swam the Tiber, supposedly.

https://twitter.com/ZacMabry/status/1423449449959919616?s=19

St. Dymphna, please pray for her. Our Father...

I hope she's serious about it and it helps her. I feel somewhat jealous of her finding faith (much as I am of most people in this thread) as I feel like I want it for the sense of purpose and safety but can't quite get there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I try not to pay attention to celebrity stuff, but was she forced to receive the IUD due to her father having those custodian rights or whatever? If so... Mother of Mercy that is evil.

Time for some prayers then.

I don't know if she was forced to receive it, but she is being forced to keep it and has stated she wants rid of it because she'd like to have another child. Right now she is basically a non-person in the eyes of the law. It's pretty miserable.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know whether the guardianship arrangement is overall a good or bad thing but she is someone that had a significant and public mental breakdown some years ago, aspects of which might not have been made public.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know whether the guardianship arrangement is overall a good or bad thing but she is someone that had a significant and public mental breakdown some years ago, aspects of which might not have been made public.

She's also someone who had people with no fiduciary duty to her controlling her estate and forcing her to perform to enrich them, one being her father. She pulled in roughly $30m a year while working from 2008-2020, and over the course of this conservatorship her estate's value has dropped from $350m to $60m while she has no control of her money and no one financially responsible to her in control of it until the last month or so either.

That whole situation is a huge mess, and I feel for her.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 7, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes she was. Her family is also forcing her to perform constantly to make money that they steal from her as administrator fees.

How is forcing someone to receive an IUD legal? Didn't we ban forced eugenics and sterilization and the like after the 40s in the USA?

If not, mega yikes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's in a conservatorship so she's legally not in control of her own affairs. To be fair I don't know if the IUD precedes her conservatorship, but she's publicly stated she wants it removed.

The whole situation is absolutely hosed. She was raised by her parents purely to make money for them, and the courts have allowed them to take her agency even as an adult.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

She's in a conservatorship so she's legally not in control of her own affairs. To be fair I don't know if the IUD precedes her conservatorship, but she's publicly stated she wants it removed.

The whole situation is absolutely hosed. She was raised by her parents purely to make money for them, and the courts have allowed them to take her agency even as an adult.

We're also only getting her side of the story, and she doesn't seem to be quite all there. I don't really know what to believe.

It's just sad on a lot of levels. I hope and pray there is a positive resolution of it eventually.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I broke my foot yesterday and can't get a cast until next week. If the bone moves too much between now and then I'll need surgery.

I have a 3 year old and a very active hobby that requires my feet to be in tip-top shape, so needless to say I'd like a quick and full recovery. Please pray for me.

Also pray for Brittany because that situation is all kinds of hosed up and has been forever.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Deteriorata posted:

We're also only getting her side of the story, and she doesn't seem to be quite all there. I don't really know what to believe.

It's just sad on a lot of levels. I hope and pray there is a positive resolution of it eventually.

The main red flag is that the people are making decisions on her behalf have decided that the things she should be forced to do just so happen to be exactly the things make everyone else a tremendous amount of money. She does need a miracle, and I'm hopeful that God will take care of her.

It reminds me a little bit of Kanye West's conversion, although he at least has personal agency. A really famous person with a difficult personal life and mental health problems suddenly decides to become a Christian? I had (and have) my doubts, but if I'm being honest it's gone better than one might reasonably have expected.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

How is forcing someone to receive an IUD legal? Didn't we ban forced eugenics and sterilization and the like after the 40s in the USA?

If not, mega yikes.

My understanding is that the conservatorship was awarded on the grounds that she was not mentally fit to take care of herself, both financially and in her personal life. This basically makes an adult a child in the eyes of the law - her guardians have similar decision making rights for her as a parent making decisions for their children, especially when it comes to medical decisions.* My understanding - and again, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just some rear end in a top hat who googled some stuff when this was making headlines so anyone who spots some place that I'm wrong please correct me - is that these arrangements are more normally for people with profound mental illness or mental disability. Someone in that situation might be put on birth control by their legal guardians for the simple reason that they're not really capable of raising a child and it's questionable whether they understand the implications of protected vs unprotected sex etc.

What really makes all this eye popping is that there's nothing about Brittney that really says she has those kinds of limitations, and it's pretty mind boggling how a judge granted that degree of control over her life in the first place.

edit: also note that the laws surrounding all of this differ state by state.

*kind of the reverse case happens when a minor wants birth control. Some states require parental consent for medical treatment of a minor, others are making moves to expressly carve out birth control because a 17 year old should probably have access to that without their parents having to know.

Basically there's a lot of uncomfortable legal territory in the areas where a person is of an age where they are sexually mature and potentially sexually active, but are not considered legally adults and therefore can't make certain decisions on their own. Legal guardianship and conservatorships just expand that out to people who are unequivocally adults, vs. the more common conversations surrounding teenagers.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Slimy Hog posted:

I broke my foot yesterday and can't get a cast until next week. If the bone moves too much between now and then I'll need surgery.

I have a 3 year old and a very active hobby that requires my feet to be in tip-top shape, so needless to say I'd like a quick and full recovery. Please pray for me.

Chaplet incoming. If you got Legos, might be a good way to distract the kiddo.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

Also pray for Brittany because that situation is all kinds of hosed up and has been forever.

May your foot heal as fast and as painless as possible. Amen.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Slimy Hog posted:

Very sorry to hear, that sounds awful. God be with you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A lawyer's overview of the Britney Spears situation for those interested.

As for her conversion or lack thereof, not my place to judge. If it's real and sincere, good for her.

https://i.imgur.com/R5q35Or.mp4

Tias
May 25, 2008

Y'all are hemming and hawing an awful loving lot over the possible good intentions behind a law that enables her family to rape her and force her to perform for money they get to a point where she's clearly having a(nother) mental breakdown.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
No one in this thread is trying to justify conservatorship or say that it's a good thing in that situation, that's the like the complete opposite of what folks have said in this thread, myself included. A lot of people are just shocked that a situation like this could have happened in the 21st century in the USA.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Tias posted:

Y'all are hemming and hawing an awful loving lot over the possible good intentions behind a law that enables her family to rape her and force her to perform for money they get to a point where she's clearly having a(nother) mental breakdown.

I admittedly haven't followed that closely, I'm just wondering whether she was dianosed with a serious mental illness or something and that's how we ended up here. It seems crazy that an adult woman, and a well-known celebrity at that, can have her driving privileges and reproductive capability under someone else's control.

Tias
May 25, 2008

She has herself said she has bi-polar personality disorder, and seems to identify with it - but has also reported that her psychiatrist and psychologist now are in her family's clutches, and largely serve to tell her no and give her sedatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I must confess, I still believe.