Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
i hope mr. corkle is good because 1) it will be good for my football team, and 2) the forums will burn down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Eh

In a QB draft class with Zach Wilson he was never going to be the worst one, and on a QB depth chart with modern Cam I would Hope he's not the worst one there either. Doesn't have to be good to still be above the floor

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Magicpants posted:

i hope mr. corkle is good because 1) it will be good for my football team, and 2) the forums will burn down

I will ban NC-17 and then myself

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mac Jones will be good because everyone was sure he would be mediocre and the worst QB of the top 5 taken

Also because it will cause the most amount of misery and the world runs on that

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chris James 2 posted:

Eh

In a QB draft class with Zach Wilson he was never going to be the worst one, and on a QB depth chart with modern Cam I would Hope he's not the worst one there either. Doesn't have to be good to still be above the floor

So if NE had the 2nd overall pick they would've taken Jones?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm going to make an obvious mistake and say what I actually believe. So brace for :patssay: nonsense I guess?

1) I think Cam Newton has basically been a model teammate on the Patriots
2) I also think Cam Newton is 100% physically washed up and just needs to retire
3) What I believe Belichick WILL do is keep starting Cam Newton until he definitively implodes or is injured
4) What I WISH Belichick would do is just abandon the pretense that Cam Newton has any hope of being good at this point in his career, make Jones the undisputed starter for the season and see what happens.
5) I'm weirdly agnostic about if I expect Jones will actually be any good, I just think it's POSSIBLE he could be good and NOT POSSIBLE than Newton will be good, so giving Newton any snaps and saying he's the starter "for now" just feels like going through the motions of following ~the process~ for its own sake and is ultimately a dumb waste of everyone's time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

leader of men

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1425829508687482880?s=20

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

So if NE had the 2nd overall pick they would've taken Jones?

I doubt it, going by what the 49ers did, I presume the workouts would've ended up with Trey Lance, but who knows.

Also as for what I truly believe: Rookie QB's almost always suck, as such I'm perfectly fine with Cam starting until he shows he can't again. If he stinks, put McCorkle in in October, if they're winning, keep Cam around until he inevitably breaks.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cam already showed he can't play

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kalli posted:

I doubt it, going by what the 49ers did, I presume the workouts would've ended up with Trey Lance, but who knows.

Also as for what I truly believe: Rookie QB's almost always suck, as such I'm perfectly fine with Cam starting until he shows he can't again. If he stinks, put McCorkle in in October, if they're winning, keep Cam around until he inevitably breaks.

Every report was that the 9ers wanted Wilson and would've taken him at 2.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sean10mm posted:

I'm going to make an obvious mistake and say what I actually believe. So brace for :patssay: nonsense I guess?

1) I think Cam Newton has basically been a model teammate on the Patriots
2) I also think Cam Newton is 100% physically washed up and just needs to retire
3) What I believe Belichick WILL do is keep starting Cam Newton until he definitively implodes or is injured
4) What I WISH Belichick would do is just abandon the pretense that Cam Newton has any hope of being good at this point in his career, make Jones the undisputed starter for the season and see what happens.
5) I'm weirdly agnostic about if I expect Jones will actually be any good, I just think it's POSSIBLE he could be good and NOT POSSIBLE than Newton will be good, so giving Newton any snaps and saying he's the starter "for now" just feels like going through the motions of following ~the process~ for its own sake and is ultimately a dumb waste of everyone's time.

I'm willing to buy that a non-covid brain Newton with another year removed from his shoulder injury and with a better supporting cast *could* possibly be enough to compete for the division, but I think it's like 30/70. I'd rather see what Mac can do since he's in theory the future of the franchise and the longer they wait to give him snaps and find out if he can actually play the longer the franchise spins it's wheels. Cam Newton has no long term future in the NFL.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but this isn't a choice between a rookie and a Fitzpatrick tier backup/journeyman starter level guy, it's a choice between a rookie and a guy who spent 2020 looking comprehensively hopeless as an NFL passer.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'm willing to buy that a non-covid brain Newton with another year removed from his shoulder injury *could* possibly be enough to compete for the division, but I think it's like 30/70. I'd rather see what Mac can do since he's in theory the future of the franchise and the longer they wait to give him snaps and find out if he can actually play the longer the franchise spins it's wheels. Cam Newton has no long term future in the NFL.

Even minimally injured/pre-COVID Newton was often shockingly bad at just the basic physical act of throwing. He had a good start predicated on constant :killdozer: running and everything got worse from there.

Maybe it's unfair or whatever but I see Newton as just being utterly hopeless at this stage of his career.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Until someone write a blog post saying that Mac's success was incumbent on mathematics themselves being a lie I don't want to hear any belly aching about no one believed in him during draft season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

beat his rear end, Khalil

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/1425837682958155777?s=20

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

fsif posted:

Until someone write a blog post saying that Mac's success was incumbent on mathematics themselves being a lie I don't want to hear any belly aching about no one believed in him during draft season.

he got plenty hype from commentators but the consensus of fans especially on tff is that hes a precertified bust, much like justin herbert...

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Magicpants posted:

he got plenty hype from commentators but the consensus of fans especially on tff is that hes a precertified bust, much like justin herbert...

I don't think he got anywhere near the level of vitriol that Allen and to a slightly lesser extent Herbert got.

A decent number of people here think he'll be a bust, but no more so than, like, the number of Trubisky or Goff doubters.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

fsif posted:

I don't think he got anywhere near the level of vitriol that Allen and to a slightly lesser extent Herbert got.

A decent number of people here think he'll be a bust, but no more so than, like, the number of Trubisky or Goff doubters.

It's also hard to separate poo poo talking division rivals from what people actually think seriously here.

It's no fun to say "Maybe he's fine, maybe he's poo poo, who knows, rookie" versus going LOL UR DUMB TEAM I HATE DID A BAD OMFG at the fans of the bad thing that they should feel bad about.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I take all Tua criticism 100% seriously.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

he's already less cool
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1425852072314998791

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Unlikely Moore plays Saturday. gently caress

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

First he refuses to get the vax, then he goes at the guy who effortlessly tossed Tristan Wirfs with one arm. This man's got a death wish.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1425862681517596681?s=20

lol

Nov 6, 2002

I remember the last family that the Dolphins drafted. Worked out well.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

“Come on guys. We’re a family. I love you. Please don’t let them keep hitting me.”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1425860568079118337

Fields was wrecking the Dolphins apparently.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

10 is the perfect number for a guy named Mac

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamHoge/status/1425860568079118337

Fields was wrecking the Dolphins apparently.

He was facing 2nd and 3rd string backups.

The starting D was great according to all the tweets I read.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Zach Wilson will end up being the only good QB in this draft class just watch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/snyjets/status/1425877800385400836

<3

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1425879213945626628

One of these 2 guys should be the Jets kicker this season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I should note that I will indeed be pissed off if Mac looks good tonight.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fsif posted:

I should note that I will indeed be pissed off if Mac looks good tonight.

The Stid Man looked good in preseason 2 years ago.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chan conspired against Tua :colbert:

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/status/1425876861108764676?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What to hell

quote:

USA Today's Andy Vasquez reports Jets WR Denzel Mims lost 20 pounds during the spring after eating some bad salmon.

"It took a big toll on me," Mims said. "And no, I haven't touched salmon ever since then." Last year's second-rounder wasn't on the field for most of the offseason program because of his bout with food poisoning, vomiting for two weeks and falling well behind the rest of New York's receiving corps in terms of learning the playbook. He said he went from 217 pounds down to 197 — he's now around 208 pounds — but is "feeling good" and "ready to contribute" following a disappointing start to camp. Coach Robert Saleh confirmed as much Wednesday, stating the organization would "absolutely not" consider giving up on Mims. The team's WR5/6 in the rotation at this time, Mims still very clearly has the talent to emerge later in the year if back at full strength.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mims just isn't a great fit for the Jets offense under LaFleur. I think that is much more of the issue.

Nov 6, 2002

That doesn't sound right.

I don't think you could lose 20 lbs in two weeks and not end up in the hospital for a significant amount of time.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Guys like them with a ton of muscle to fuel would probably lose that if they can’t eat sufficiently. Though I can’t imagine your liver would be happy about it, since they’d mainly be burning muscle.

Nov 6, 2002

I could certainly see him losing most of that in water weight... and ending up in the hospital on an IV.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

ChubbyEmu has entered the chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

bit dishonest building a game plan around a qb that’s willing to take risks to succeed