Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Andromeda is definitely up to something different than the core series, and it certainly does seem like it's something cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the actual conceit of Andromeda is really cool, it's just what they do with it is "two desert planets and one ice desert planet, also every place you go to already has a colony, also your characters act like there are zero stakes"

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Pattonesque posted:

the actual conceit of Andromeda is really cool, it's just what they do with it is "two desert planets and one ice desert planet, also every place you go to already has a colony, also your characters act like there are zero stakes"

Three hot desert planets even, and an enemy species ripped from ME2.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Update: After going to two planets, I think ME:A is fine and the central conceit is very cool. The characters are charming in a Riverdale/YA kind of way, which I get would rub some people wrong but I found refreshing after mainlining the Legendary trilogy.

Not sure why people hate it so much when it's just Dragon Age: Inquisition with funnier emails and bureaucracy plotlines.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Andromeda is a good game where the highs match the above average parts of the original trilogy. It doesn’t match the highs, but it’s definitely got some great moments

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only outright bad major character is Liam, and you can just leave him behind most of the time.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Jaal is really bad too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
All the Angara are laaaaame. Drack and Vetra are so so great though.

Edit: I love the way that if you're out on a planet and encounter a plot point relating to a character who isn't one of your current squad, they just appear anyway - as if the whole time you're doing stuff on planets, the rest of the squad are just sitting quietly in the Nomad too.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 14, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pops Mgee posted:

Jaal is really bad too.

I like Jaal. He’s super sweet and mushy and emotional and him and Drack vibe really well off each other.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I like Jaal. He’s super sweet and mushy and emotional

He's clearly meant to be. He constantly says he is. But I don't see the evidence honestly. He gets a bit upset at points where humans would, but never raises his voice and barely breaks out a sob.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oh dear me posted:

He's clearly meant to be. He constantly says he is. But I don't see the evidence honestly. He gets a bit upset at points where humans would, but never raises his voice and barely breaks out a sob.

That’s not the extent of all emotions. He’s constantly opening up, sharing feelings, and is “sweet” to nearly everyone aboard the ship.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also Andromeda had great combat in the set piece, corridor missions - but it was poo poo in the open world. Loads of sniping across fields, being unable to take cover behind scenery rocks, falling off the cover shooter platforms onto the terrain and trying to get back up, and so on.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

That’s not the extent of all emotions. He’s constantly opening up, sharing feelings, and is “sweet” to nearly everyone aboard the ship.

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but I think if someone is very emotional those things might happen. As it is he just seems like a pretty normal person to me, and so all the 'Angara are so emotional!' speeches seem odd.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Oh dear me posted:

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but I think if someone is very emotional those things might happen. As it is he just seems like a pretty normal person to me, and so all the 'Angara are so emotional!' speeches seem odd.

Fair enough. Let me rephrase: Jaal is a very warm and loving character. That’s probably a better description than emotional. Of all the party members across all four games, he’s the warm family oriented member who takes to Ryder and the crew almost immediately. It’s not an amazingly different direction, but it’s refreshing when the series has had badass after badass. And again, him and Drack are such lovable bros I took them everywhere in my dune buggy so they could chat.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Strategic Tea posted:

Also Andromeda had great combat in the set piece, corridor missions - but it was poo poo in the open world. Loads of sniping across fields, being unable to take cover behind scenery rocks, falling off the cover shooter platforms onto the terrain and trying to get back up, and so on.
Getting sniped is kind of inherent in shooters with wide open spaces, but to be honest I thought it was pretty manageable as long as you stayed in the Nomad long enough to get close. Enemies in ME:A don't tend to back off. Most outside combat also takes place in and around structures with lots of obstacles big enough to hide behind, so I think the criticism about being unable to find cover in the open world is a little off. If anything, certain indoor sections could do with some more cover (I'm looking at you and your decidedly minimalistic interior design, Remnant).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

This and enemies spawning inside sealed areas that don't open until I killed all the enemies are why I switched over to Infiltrator for my initial aborted Andromeda run. "Pocket sniper" pistols just were not cutting it when you need to unlock weapon slots and I needed the added kill enemies through walls power of infiltrator to not reset fights and hope for the best. "There. Now that I've killed the enemy standing behind the locked door, the door is open."

I'm finally learning to love "pile of powers and an executioner shotgun" sentinel in ME3 which is a joy out the door with a fresh 'respeced import' to slam everything into max carry capacity and better power recharge tech armor in ME3. Even the infamously bugged and weak predator pistol is killing guardians clear through their riot shields like nothing.

Andromeda looms in the distance, with those wide open plains to stretch out encounter time and rub it in your face how many of the cool new guns just have their shots vanish after X distance. Where a tight spread shotgun and a light but accurate baby pistol has a hell of a time. "Just drive closer in your not mako" didn't solve those snags last time.

Still, I might go Bizarro World Infiltrator with no cloaking device because I love overload and guns more than I love biotic combos. And only having three loving powers makes a lot of the appeal of sentinel dry up to me. So might as well double down on "Guns bonus. Tech bonus." Shame there is no class bonus to reduce the cooldown on combat powers that don't run off finite batteries. Concussive Shot has always amused me and Turbo Charge feels cool.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Sombrerotron posted:

Getting sniped is kind of inherent in shooters with wide open spaces, but to be honest I thought it was pretty manageable as long as you stayed in the Nomad long enough to get close. Enemies in ME:A don't tend to back off. Most outside combat also takes place in and around structures with lots of obstacles big enough to hide behind, so I think the criticism about being unable to find cover in the open world is a little off. If anything, certain indoor sections could do with some more cover (I'm looking at you and your decidedly minimalistic interior design, Remnant).

I really like the outdoor combat. Driving the Nomad straight towards the enemies then using it as cover (especially if you get the upgrade that gives a brief shield when you first get out of the vehicle) is pretty fun and then jump jetting around between cover. I find the indoor combat a bit more annoying, especially in Kett bases because everything blends into the background a bit.

Admittedly, with the assault turret and Cora as a companion, I can just throw the assault turret up onto platforms or through a window, Cora does her Vanguard thing and by the time I actually arrive everything is pretty much dead :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I liked Jaal :shobon: he reminded me of my bf

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Andromeda isn't a bad game on it's own. It just feels C-Tier after playing the original triology, but that's mostly on the technological side. That's all there is to it.

goblin week posted:

I liked Jaal :shobon: he reminded me of my bf
.... you dated a cat?

Milky Way scientists are working with the Angaran to learn more about them, the cluster and the cat. :catte:

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 14, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh my god, I'm not crazy or loving blind when running past weapons and upgrades in ME3.

"Wait, wasn't the inscisor sniper rifle supposed to be before this shotgun blade?"
*Turns around, walks back down ramp*
"Well, nothing is here, it must be further down-"
*Interact marker pops in, shortly followed by the incisor rifle rendering upright in plain view against wall*
:stare:

Same thing must happened happened with the sniper rifle on Sur'kesh too, in hindsight "Wait I forgot the sniper rifle... Huh, didn't I check this corner already? Well it is laying out in the open so I must have just forgot to check then :downs: "

I know it is a replay run but wowie zowie, zero loving guilt for playing while referencing a loot checklist.

On a lighter note. Smart Choke + Armor piercing ammo = Dead Cerberus guardians by lazily shooting them from 50 feet away with an Evicerator shotgun is incredibly cathartic :allears: Especially once I realized they seem to have stagger communities on a generous cooldown if I want to just jostle them with throw, shoot, repeat instead of set up combos to bypass their shield entirely.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 14, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guardians never really mattered since I started with the aoe pull. That poo poo just completely turns off an entire class of enemy

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Section Z posted:

I know it is a replay run but wowie zowie, zero loving guilt for playing while referencing a loot checklist.

Gear you miss gets added to shops after the mission. Just save edit yourself a million credits and check the shop terminal at the Normandy instead of going through every mission with a fine tooth comb.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

Oh my god, I'm not crazy or loving blind when running past weapons and upgrades in ME3.

"Wait, wasn't the inscisor sniper rifle supposed to be before this shotgun blade?"
*Turns around, walks back down ramp*
"Well, nothing is here, it must be further down-"
*Interact marker pops in, shortly followed by the incisor rifle rendering upright in plain view against wall*
:stare:

Same thing must happened happened with the sniper rifle on Sur'kesh too, in hindsight "Wait I forgot the sniper rifle... Huh, didn't I check this corner already? Well it is laying out in the open so I must have just forgot to check then :downs: "

On a lighter note. Smart Choke + Armor piercing ammo = Dead Cerberus guardians by lazily shooting them from 50 feet away with an Evicerator shotgun is incredibly cathartic :allears: Especially once I realized they seem to have stagger communities on a generous cooldown if I want to just jostle them with throw, shoot, repeat instead of set up combos to bypass their shield entirely.

I think some (all? not sure) weapons that you miss in missions can be bought afterwards from the Spectre Requisitions terminal so they're not actually permanently missable

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Guardians never really mattered since I started with the aoe pull. That poo poo just completely turns off an entire class of enemy
Which is part of why not even giving them the respect of biotic ragdolling before they die is particularly amusing. "Go... AROUND their shield? Why?" Even the predator pistol will casually murder them with your trusty friend AP ammo.

BisbyWorl posted:

Gear you miss gets added to shops after the mission. Just save edit yourself a million credits and check the shop terminal at the Normandy instead of going through every mission with a fine tooth comb.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think some (all? not sure) weapons that you miss in missions can be bought afterwards from the Spectre Requisitions terminal so they're not actually permanently missable

A very handy feature in ME3. I just get deep flashbacks to mission progressing my way past the Tempest SMG in ME2 and needing to backtrack to an hours old save to not be stuck with the shuriken SMG all game :downs:

Speaking of the Shuriken and missed loot showing up to buy in the shop later though... The wiki claims the ME3 Shuriken SMG will not spawn in a shop if you miss looting it during the Mars mission :v: So might as well run down the loot list rather than wonder what else might be an edge case "Will not show up to buy if you miss it, hope you like NG+ loops if you wanted it!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I killed guardians by sniping the mail slot until the cheevo popped for it and then I let my sentry turret and combat drone clean up after that

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just fired the typhoon into them until enough bullets went through. It didn't take long.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did a playthrough of Mass Effects 1~3 via the Legendary Edition pack.

I'm new to this game, having missed the boat back when it was new, so this is my first real experience of the series.

Played as Female Shepard (if given the option, I tend to go with the female character. The heroman game is one I've played before), and romanced Liara. Played as a Soldier on my first go, Vanguard on my second. Could never find a Colossus Armour for my Shep in either go.

Overall, quite liked it. I liked that choices made here pay off later (I spared the Rachni Queen, saved Wrex because Wrex rules, sacrificed Kaidan in my first go, Ashley in my second, hung up on the Council every time I talked to them but saved them on both plays, and made Anderson the Council Rep both times). That said, the ship definitely felt a bit barebones, and embarrassingly, I never found the Captain's Office in my first playthrough. It just never occurred to me it would be tucked away in the side of the Normandy. I quite enjoyed the variety of environments, and I really wished I could revisit Zhu's Hope in later instalments, to see how they were going after I hosed up the Tholian.

Mass Effect 2 was the one I liked the most. Carried over my FemSheps - Vanguard in my first go, Infiltrator in my second. I also got to do what I enjoyed, which was travel around, exploring. I could see the benefit of the armour system that they went with, although I did kind of miss trying out different armours. It took a few minutes to get over the disappointment of the new system where you could swap out bits and pieces. I chose the M-98 Widow on my first playthrough and fell in love with the stupid rifle, and one-shotting Collectors that Harbinger was controlling directly. I also discovered a love for Cryo shot. I did everyone's loyalty missions, kept the peace between Jack & Miranda, and Tali & Legion, and saved everyone each time. I also really liked getting to customise Shepard's quarters, but my fish kept dying, which sucked. Telling the Council to gently caress off and the Illusive Man to eat poo poo at the end felt good though, so swings and roundabouts.

Mass Effect 3 is the one that I'm currently doing a second go with my 2nd FemShep (Vanguard again in my first go, pew-pew soldier in my second and current go). Definite mixed feelings about this. Positives first: I like the little QoL additions like the fishtank VI, and customising options for Shepard and their team's loadout. It definitely feels like a game that took the strong parts of previous instalments and have built on those foundations. Moving the Armoury and bringing back the requisitions office - and making the available items feel a little less random - was a nice touch.

On the other hand:
The ending sucks a gently caress. Basically, you'll die in the end, unless you meet really specific conditions. gently caress off.

The Reapers' motivation doesn't really make sense either. "We're a bunch of AI that was designed to ensure that machines don't kill organic life, so we, as machines, go about killing all organic life to prevent this." Mate, what the gently caress. You do realise there's a better way to go about it, right?

Cerberus goes from being Machiavellian Human advocating paramilitary to moustache-twirling villains and it honestly feels really clumsy.

The game clearly wants us to go around exploring, but then actively works against it. "Scan this planet! Oh look! A metric fuckton of metal cuttlefish just invaded your screen!" gently caress off.

I really wish the game would ease up on the unskippable cutscenes, especially at the start where they frontloaded the game with them. It honestly gets frustrating how frequently the game takes away control of the character from you. Yeah, sorry mate, did my game get in the way of your movie?

Kai Leng. I'm so edgy. So edgily edgy and cool and edgy and look at how cool and edgy I am! Also look at this email I sent you about what a cool edgy edgeboy I am! FEEL MY EDGE! FEEL IT! PLEASE! I EVEN BOUGHT A KATANA SWORD FOR THE OCCASION! gently caress off mate, we're not all 12 year-old edgelords. You just know some writer really rubbed one out over how "cool" he is. Go listen to your loving nu-metal, you dick.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 14, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

edogawa rando posted:

Did a playthrough of Mass Effects 1~3 via the Legendary Edition pack.

I'm new to this game, having missed the boat back when it was new, so this is my first real experience of the series.
And then you go on to describe the quintessential Mass Effect experience. It's nice that some things haven't changed :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dealt with guardians mainly by just carrying the executioner. One-shots them straight through their shield, head shot or no.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Blood Pack pistol loving rules. I love it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want Kai Leng brought back to life for ME4 just so he can keep ultra-edglording it over Player_Character throughout the entire game.

I'd pay for him to be a DLC party member because he was "too dark for the evil so he was kicked out to corrupt the good with his darkness". I want him in every single cutscene, stealing every scene.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
David Gaider, is that you?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

edogawa rando posted:

The Reapers' motivation doesn't really make sense either. "We're a bunch of AI that was designed to ensure that machines don't kill organic life, so we, as machines, go about killing all organic life to prevent this." Mate, what the gently caress. You do realise there's a better way to go about it, right?

This criticism comes up a lot and to be fair to Mass Effect, this is how the ancient AI wiping out life trope plays out every other time I've seen it.

If life is left to it's own devices, it will eventually become so advanced that it will sterilise the universe, or be stuck in a forever war. An AI's cold, ultra logical reasoning would be to trim the branches now and then. It's the runaway paperclip AI theory again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ME2: Reapers are basically lovcraftian space gods that make things happen without thinking about it because physics are beneath them.

*change of writers*

ME3: Reapers are just dumb robots. What is your favorite color?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, Mass Effect 3 commits to what I feel is an unconvincing interpretation of its own premise and throws in an unnecessary twist whose resolution lacks internal consistency.

But, then, what do I know? I can't even figure out how to reply to these Citadel emails from people wanting to meet at the apartment. Edit: oh, I thought that was a customize squadmate button like in the captain's cabin

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, Mass Effect 3 commits to what I feel is an unconvincing interpretation of its own premise and throws in an unnecessary twist whose resolution lacks internal consistency.

But, then, what do I know? I can't even figure out how to reply to these Citadel emails from people wanting to meet at the apartment. Edit: oh, I thought that was a customize squadmate button like in the captain's cabin

"Oh, hey. Asari High Command wants to come to my apartment! :downs:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DancingShade posted:

ME3: Reapers are just dumb robots. What is your favorite color?

Player: Red.
ME3 Lead Writer: Green it is!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Forever lollin' at ME3 Femshep's weird rear end jog

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Going back to Vanguard from Adept for ME3.

Someone give me a fun build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hobo Clown posted:

Forever lollin' at ME3 Femshep's weird rear end jog

The head down but eyes locked on ??? Thing is amazing. How many times has her head turned completely backwards looking at joker as you run down the ship