Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

I actually know the answers to the giant Eva question but should I spoil it?

Also, there is no other way to put it: they redesign Asuka and really oversexualize her and its creepy. I've heard people compare her redesign in Anima to "bimbofication."

Thanks but please don't spoil it. I kinda wanna go in fresh, no other context. A lot of the appeal of doing this is not knowing what to expect. Looks like a train wreck, wil report back once I actually read the drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Asuka was and remains the most interesting and compelling character for me, who feels like they could have had their poo poo together under different circumstances but still would have a lot to work through to get there. Admittedly most of that is from her series arc but I do like stuff in the Rebuilds where she like doesn't give say Kaji the time of day and it's ultimately great that she can move on to have a life that isn't tied to being Shinji's emotional caretaker.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what i'm curious about is exactly how neo-nerv kept making all these large scale projects when it consisted of two elderly men and a bunch of teenage clones with no technical skills living in a ruined base. heck, most of those clones got decapitated! sure, a lot of it can be chalked up to automated production lines as seen in 3.33. other parts were pure artificial angel tech, which i'll give a pass due to seele and angels being so unearthly and all-around weird. but some of that stuff had to be researched and then put together manually instead of grown or mass-produced, such as the ships. those explicitly weren't finished when nerv as an organization with human staff fell apart.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Uhhhh it's a cartoon bro, they didn't actually make the ships

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what i'm curious about is exactly how neo-nerv kept making all these large scale projects when it consisted of two elderly men and a bunch of teenage clones with no technical skills living in a ruined base. heck, most of those clones got decapitated! sure, a lot of it can be chalked up to automated production lines as seen in 3.33. other parts were pure artificial angel tech, which i'll give a pass due to seele and angels being so unearthly and all-around weird. but some of that stuff had to be researched and then put together manually instead of grown or mass-produced, such as the ships. those explicitly weren't finished when nerv as an organization with human staff fell apart.

Between automated facilities and the MAGI system, plus whatever other "black box" systems Seele had, it's not hard to believe that most of the Eva production systems would be a "drag-and-drop" design system. I mean, there were some that were literally two arms stuck together. Gendo is a scientist in his own right, and the actual airships seemed to be already being designed/built by NERV before N3I.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm just gonna assume Gendo getting hallowed out and filled with arcane lore let him do most of it on his own

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

After all is said and done, who is your waifu?

Forever and always Ayanami

Got real tired of Tsundere after Love Hina and Negima beat it (literally) into the ground

(For added irony, I read those after watching NGE on Toonami back in the day)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sakura, easily. She was adorable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Randalor posted:

Between automated facilities and the MAGI system, plus whatever other "black box" systems Seele had, it's not hard to believe that most of the Eva production systems would be a "drag-and-drop" design system. I mean, there were some that were literally two arms stuck together. Gendo is a scientist in his own right, and the actual airships seemed to be already being designed/built by NERV before N3I.

Pretty sure the super-mass-produced evangelions (the 04s, the 044s, the 07s, the double arms) are just failures of infinity or evangelion infinities they animated and stuck armor on the outside of. S'why the 07s have those creepy skulls - the infinities are headless. And there are a bunch of failures lying around that are, like, half a body or an arm or a leg, those go into the freaky Mark.04 varieties. Those are definitely core material all the way through, we saw that in 3.33 when they got smashed.

Speaking of the 4s, only just realised the Kredit cargo ship has a bunch of 04s strapped to it so it can fly. Cute. Wonder how they got them.

Oh, that made me realise something, and I went back and checked: I think Shinji missed some Eva stuff at the end! The seed capsules look like they generate their propulsion fields with little red cores generating AT halos. And they're still there after he resets Earth. Whoops.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 17, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Near Third impact, apparently during an appearance Anno gave a rough ouline of events that happened after 2 ended on a stage, things that would've been a movie before they decided not to do it:

Shinji gets speared and they shut down/pause Near Third Impact, Gendo is ousted from the leadership of Nerv and goes into hiding with Fuyutsuki, Kaji and Kaworu end up running Nerv for a short time, that's why we see the two of them during Kaworu's bits at the end of 3+1. After a fairly shot time Gendo comes back, takes things over, there's a big battle, Third Impact resumes, that's when most of the planet is transformed and all the weird stuff we see inside Nerv HQ in 3.33 happens, Kaji sacrifices his life to end it before absolutely everyone dies, the remaining Nerv personnel form WILLE to stop Gendo.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I noticed something cool when rewatching the opening scene as I love the Paris fight. As Ibuki and co are trying to establish the L containment field you can see the L field slowly consuming the work site and turn it red from the bottom up (it's most obvious on the magnetic locks holding the equipment in place.

I get the feeling I'm gonna be finding neat little details like that for a long time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I want to kiss the shrieking polyhedron

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nyeehg posted:

So I noticed something cool when rewatching the opening scene as I love the Paris fight. As Ibuki and co are trying to establish the L containment field you can see the L field slowly consuming the work site and turn it red from the bottom up (it's most obvious on the magnetic locks holding the equipment in place.

I get the feeling I'm gonna be finding neat little details like that for a long time.

The usb flip!

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

The usb flip!

Yeah that is great too. Love that it's Maya who has to flip the usb. Doesn't matter how much IT experience you have, those buggers will always be fiddly :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asuka is all nice and good but Ayanami has her own official paint color, which shows her superior waifu power level.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Nyeehg posted:

Yeah that is great too. Love that it's Maya who has to flip the usb. Doesn't matter how much IT experience you have, those buggers will always be fiddly :v:

Despite all the bad things I have to say about this movie, the level of care put into every single detail is incredible.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Seeing all the comparisons to EoE lately has got me thinking. I've always kind of felt like the community at large over states how happy of an ending EoE had.

Like, yes it was overall a positive ending in that Shinji is on the path to a healthier future as he's realized that being with other people is worth the pain. However it also ends with seemingly all of humanity dead, and the only two people left have an extremely toxic relationship with one another. Shinji is seemingly on the path to recovery, but also immediately strangles the first person he comes across. For a first time viewer it's an incredibly bleak ending that only has the slightest hint of a positive message behind it, and the hard cut ending really helps it feel even more depressing. Multiple rewatches does give a better impression of it being a happy ending, but it takes some effort to get there imo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i forget if it was foone or gravis who did a nice thread a while back on the Mechanicals in evangelion. all the interlocks and deadbolts and all that. Love it.

the montage of them borrowing every single extension cord in Japan for operation yashima (the Ramiel kill) is one of my favorite couple minutes of film ever. They even added a really esoteric detail when they stated the 'frequency converters were online'; half of japan runs on 50 hertz AC, and the other half runs on 60, so if they're using the whole country for juice, they'd have to have converter stations to normalize everything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

Seeing all the comparisons to EoE lately has got me thinking. I've always kind of felt like the community at large over states how happy of an ending EoE had.

Like, yes it was overall a positive ending in that Shinji is on the path to a healthier future as he's realized that being with other people is worth the pain. However it also ends with seemingly all of humanity dead, and the only two people left have an extremely toxic relationship with one another. Shinji is seemingly on the path to recovery, but also immediately strangles the first person he comes across. For a first time viewer it's an incredibly bleak ending that only has the slightest hint of a positive message behind it, and the hard cut ending really helps it feel even more depressing. Multiple rewatches does give a better impression of it being a happy ending, but it takes some effort to get there imo.

it’s directly stated that every human being has the ability to regain their physical forms, Shinji and Asuka are just the first ones out

the final scene with asuka though is extremely raw and emotionally complex and people will be debating it until the end of time

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Is there a reason that Sakura is so crazy about Shinji piloting Eva, to the extent she tries to shoot him?
Aside from terrible things happening every time he does so.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Roth posted:

I dunno about waifu, but Asuka's still my favorite character.

With everything that's happened to her from the TV series to EoE and throughout the Rebuilds I feel like she was the only one who didn't really get a happy ending like everyone else. She goes out in an even worse way (as horrific as EoE was, she had the belief in her mother and Thrice Upon a Time took that away as well, reducing her to a clone which feels particularly tragic) and we see her finally grown up, the plug suit ripped and torn as she's now an adult and no longer burdened by the curse, but in the closing she's all alone, which we know is something that hurts her deeply from the segment of her as a child. There's the implication that Kensuke is waiting for her but his role is very clearly that of a father figure, and her staying with him when not on the Wunder and sharing quarters with Mari is explained as her wanting to be away from everyone in the village.

Really enjoyed the film but it was somewhat bittersweet that Asuka seemingly just cannot catch a break. At the same time however, I can see how being alone would be the happy end for Asuka, as she dislikes pretty much everyone (I'm glad Mari was introduced mainly because of how well her and Asuka worked together) so maybe it really did work out? Asuka really had it rough, though. A little something to show how different she would be in a world without eva would have been powerful, I think. A small 10 second clip of her at the station interacting with a stranger to let us see how vastly different she is, as opposed to sat alone staring at her phone, would have been great in my opinion

There's probably key things that I'm missing however. Been a very long time since I watched any other material and want to wait a while before I watch 3.0 + 1.0 a second time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sinky posted:

Is there a reason that Sakura is so crazy about Shinji piloting Eva, to the extent she tries to shoot him?

She feels partly responsible for not being able to keep Shinji out of the EVA in 3.33 and getting traumatized again and she’s worried that now he’s gonna gently caress himself up even worse than last time. She wants to wound him so he can’t get in the EVA but isn’t trying to kill him like pink-hair lady

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 17, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Augus posted:

it’s directly stated that every human being has the ability to regain their physical forms, Shinji and Asuka are just the first ones out

the final scene with asuka though is extremely raw and emotionally complex and people will be debating it until the end of time

Yeah I k ow that humans can come back and it's not actually an extinction, but on a first watch it certainly feels like they're the only ones left. I know that it's stated directly that people can come back, but also there's a LOT to take in and it's pretty easy for that line to get lost on a first viewer while just trying to figure out what the gently caress is even happening.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

sinky posted:

it runs in the family i guess

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It is something very pointed that Asuka’s greatest fear in tv and eoe is being seen as a doll and thus being reduced to one as a clone in rebuild to drive it home more. But to me i can’t not see it as metatextual referring to Asuka being reduced to being a doll for decades in pop culture, references and turned into archetypes of a tsundere and trying to show that both her and Rei are still characters with arcs we should care about more than the merchandise and pop culture conceptions of them. I don’t know I’m still trying to nail this thought down.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I wonder what Asuka's status as a clone means for her original. Who I think she meets in her entry plug.. Was Asuka Soryu in unit 2? Is the Rebuild universe one were her mom actually managed to kill Asuka?

I think we only ever see a tiny look at the original Asuka, the like 3 or 4 year old Asuka who is watching Shinji cry in Berlin. Everything else we see is her from her last clone's perspective, which is interesting. It seems like when it's time for Asuka and Rei to talk to Shinji during not-Instrumentality they both have memories they shouldn't. Like Rei seems to be the Rei he saved in 3.0 (her hair at the very least suggests she's an older clone, her hair keeps growing like with Asuka), but she has a doll with the baby's name on it and says one of the phrases the Lookalike learned in the village to Shinji right before she leaves.

Also this isn't really a spoiler but Asuka marching around in her early plugsuit that looks like power armor was bad rear end

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is definitely the asuka who was in unit 3 in 2.22 (since that was the one who got infected by the 9th angel), but there were two clones who survived. i guess it was either the original asuka or the other clone who was absorbed by unit 2 in rebuild, instead of her mother in previous versions. so, pretty much the same deal rei had with unit 0.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

that's right, the way people are acting doesn't make much sense. the idea that kaworu stopped the impact (the gates of guf closed = impact over) but then it happened slowly anyway isn't supported by anything. for the layman, 'near third impact' presumably covers both events as neither impact ended the world entirely.

The characters literally discuss the gradual corification and every single one of them treats it as something that happened after what Shinji did, not some unspecified period of time later, including the ones who are literally fighting against Gendo and would have no reason not to blame him. Like one of the things mentioned about the big magic towers is that they stop it from spreading but if it goes down then they're all hosed. Literally the entire point of the opening sequence is that they have a limited amount of time to work.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

the ships were being built for a long time. If the date of 11805 is using the Holocene date system then it was laid down in 1805.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My impression is that Gendo tried to resume the Third Impact (after Kaworu had paused it with the spear) and that the WILLE uprising occurred to stop him from doing so.

e: resumed it using whatever arbitrary set of conditions would lead to human instrumentality

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 18, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

the ships were being built for a long time. If the date of 11805 is using the Holocene date system then it was laid down in 1805.

yikes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did anyone post this yet?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8tSKXEXEAQqjh9.jpg:large

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh jeez bottom left corner oh jeez.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

That seems like a leisurely schedule.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

the ships were seemingly made 2000 years ago or something like that based on the dates provided

ImpAtom posted:

The characters literally discuss the gradual corification and every single one of them treats it as something that happened after what Shinji did, not some unspecified period of time later, including the ones who are literally fighting against Gendo and would have no reason not to blame him. Like one of the things mentioned about the big magic towers is that they stop it from spreading but if it goes down then they're all hosed. Literally the entire point of the opening sequence is that they have a limited amount of time to work.

hush, you got owned by anno anyway

MikeJF posted:

Re: Near Third impact, apparently during an appearance Anno gave a rough ouline of events that happened after 2 ended on a stage, things that would've been a movie before they decided not to do it:

Shinji gets speared and they shut down/pause Near Third Impact, Gendo is ousted from the leadership of Nerv and goes into hiding with Fuyutsuki, Kaji and Kaworu end up running Nerv for a short time, that's why we see the two of them during Kaworu's bits at the end of 3+1. After a fairly shot time Gendo comes back, takes things over, there's a big battle, Third Impact resumes, that's when most of the planet is transformed and all the weird stuff we see inside Nerv HQ in 3.33 happens, Kaji sacrifices his life to end it before absolutely everyone dies, the remaining Nerv personnel form WILLE to stop Gendo.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

mondays are so hosed up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

the ships were seemingly made 2000 years ago or something like that based on the dates provided

hush, you got owned by anno anyway

I'm not particularly sure how I got 'owned by anno" considering nothing there contradicts what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not particularly sure how I got 'owned by anno" considering nothing there contradicts what I said.

i see we've reached the 'goon feigning illiteracy' part of the discussion