Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ape Agitator posted:

Perfect, I'll avoid those just in case. Thanks!
Base+Morrowind is all that's in the trial. It includes Warden so that class is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm just randomly playing and a dolmen popped and literally, like 100 people zoned in and went for it. So this is probably the best time to play the game if you want easy leveling. Tons of people playing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Working on some guild quests that I hadn't finished last time I played. Finally got fighters high enough to compete. Those were cool.

Psijic is terrible. I like the scrying minigame as a change of pace, but "find 9" quests are so bad. I'm at least breaking it up by hitting up any skyshards and delves nearby.

Also realized I only did up to rank four DB. It's spree time!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also I'm bored, so I want to do the guild bank thing.

I don't want to waste my time making 9 other accounts for nothing, so any help there? Like how do I even start

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Barreft posted:

I don't want to waste my time making 9 other accounts for nothing, so any help there? Like how do I even start
https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/free-trial
1. Create account, confirm account, log in, create character, close. Repeat X9
2. Go to your main account, create guild. Send invites to your 9 accounts.
3. Log in to each of the 9 accounts again, accept the guild invite.
Congrats, you now have a 500 slot guild bank.

You need to create the characters before you can send the guild invite. You don't need to actually do the tutorial.

You obviously need 9 email addresses to do this, you can use the . trick in gmail so that anonymous@gmail.com and an.ony.mous@gmail.com both work but ESO sees them as different. Or make new emails, or some combo of both.
You can't do this in steam, but the steam install works as a stand alone client, so you don't need to redownload anything.
It'll be in Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client ESO64.exe
You don't even need to close steam to do this. If your computer is powerful enough you can even have your main account running and logged in, while doing it, running two instances of the client, saving you a few minutes by weaving the steps so you can do create, send invite, close and not have to log in to each account twice.

Everyone is allowed 5 guilds, so you could also team up with 4 other people, each make 2 alt accounts and have them all join your guilds. Or do all the work and give four other people who are less willing to waste 20 minutes a free guild bank.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 23, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/register/account-information
1. Create account, confirm account, log in, create character, close. Repeat X9
2. Go to your main account, create guild. Send invites to your 9 accounts.
3. Log in to each of the 9 accounts again, accept the guild invite.
Congrats, you now have a 500 slot guild bank.

You need to create the characters before you can send the guild invite. You don't need to actually do the tutorial.

You obviously need 9 email addresses to do this, you can use the . trick in gmail so that anonymous@gmail.com and an.ony.mous@gmail.com both work but ESO sees them as different. Or make new emails, or some combo of both.
You can't do this in steam, but the steam install works as a stand alone client, so you don't need to redownload anything.
It'll be in Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client ESO64.exe
You don't even need to close steam to do this. If your computer is powerful enough you can even have your main account running and logged in, while doing it, running two instances of the client, saving you a few minutes by weaving the steps so you can do create, send invite, close and not have to log in to each account twice.

Everyone is allowed 5 guilds, so you could also team up with 4 other people, each make 2 alt accounts and have them all join your guilds. Or do all the work and give four other people who are less willing to waste 20 minutes a free guild bank.

I had to use https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/free-trial instead of the other register account link, otherwise the trial wasn't added to the account and I couldn't log in. Just FYI I guess.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I had to use https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/free-trial instead of the other register account link, otherwise the trial wasn't added to the account and I couldn't log in. Just FYI I guess.
I think you might be able to click "already have an account" to enable the free trial, but I changed the link just in case, I did all this a year ago. I will so you can still login to those accounts in subsequent free trials without having to reactivate the free trial.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think you might be able to click "already have an account" to enable the free trial, but I changed the link just in case, I did all this a year ago.

Yeah I tried that too and it just took me to a help page saying "yeah you can log in!" when I couldn't and there was no Trial activated on the account. So I made ten accounts instead of nine :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xZAOx posted:

Working on some guild quests that I hadn't finished last time I played. Finally got fighters high enough to compete. Those were cool.

Psijic is terrible. I like the scrying minigame as a change of pace, but "find 9" quests are so bad. I'm at least breaking it up by hitting up any skyshards and delves nearby.

Also realized I only did up to rank four DB. It's spree time!

The Map Pins Mod will at least put the time rifts on your map, which helps a bit. It's still a pain, but less trying to squint at the little maps they give you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Barreft posted:

Form a new guild and then spam invites to every rando you can find - especially lowbees. You will probably get enough to form a guild bank. I haven't tried this in this game, though but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Form a new guild and then spam invites to every rando you can find - especially lowbees. You will probably get enough to form a guild bank. I haven't tried this in this game, though but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
It works, but some people will remove themselves from your guild after they realize they didn't mean to accept. Seem like an unnecessary risk of getting your guild bank frozen when they leave. And I'm not sure it's quicker, either; most people won't accept and finding lowbies probably takes some time even in the starter zones.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It works, but some people will remove themselves from your guild after they realize they didn't mean to accept. Seem like an unnecessary risk of getting your guild bank frozen when they leave. And I'm not sure it's quicker, either; most people won't accept and finding lowbies probably takes some time even in the starter zones.

Oh, it freezes the bank if roster drops below the threshold? bah.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh, it freezes the bank if roster drops below the threshold? bah.
Yeah. I think you can still remove but not add, not sure.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So does DPS really jump with just changing out one set?

I'm not overly concerned - I don't plan on raiding, mostly just normal dungeons, maybe some vet dungeons later. Right now on the atronarch dummy I was at like 25k dps, maybe spikes up to 30k (and probably sustainable at that if I was better at pressing botans).

I see people talking about 50k, 60k, 70k....and that's a heck of a jump. "One person on the internet" was saying 50k with basically my ability loadout, but Medusa jewelry instead of Willpower, and Medusa + Maelstrom weapon for back bar instead of just 2x Julianos that I'm using for now. Oh and the 2p monster set, I only have shoulders atm.

My plan is to start farming Medusa stuff soon, complete my monster set, etc - but do those things really double+ your dps? I actually already have Divines on all but like 2 pieces (been keeping an eye out for deals and snagging them), but "one (different) person on the internet" said that Divines is like, a 2% dps upgrade anyways, for a full set.

My stuff mostly isn't epic'd either, but that increase seems even more minor. I'm sure CP plays into it as well (I'm at like 330). I can't really get a handle on how gear scales in this game. It's very unique.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To all the orcs on this island going "you're not an orc you wouldn't understand" I'm going to just assume that my character won't take off her helmet no matter what so they can't tell she's an orc too.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

To all the orcs on this island going "you're not an orc you wouldn't understand" I'm going to just assume that my character won't take off her helmet no matter what so they can't tell she's an orc too.
You're not the "right kind" of orc. You're a traveling orc, so obviously you don't understand commitment to your clan.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

... wait. Wait. The game pushed me from the tutorial zone out to Stros M'Kai, which led me right into a questline with the ship lady - Jakarn and co in various adventures. So we go to orc island and then to Daggerfall and the main quest grabs me and dumps me into hell (and takes my soul), and that dumps me back into Stros M'Kai...

....why doesn't the tutorial drop me in Daggerfall first? That would have had a much more natural quest progression, and it explains why the crew thought I had no soul.

Also now I have another main quest, apparently I had a vision from the Prophet and need to go somewhere. Except I haven't had any visions!

I'm enjoying the game but this is very weird!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

xZAOx posted:

I see people talking about 50k, 60k, 70k....and that's a heck of a jump. "One person on the internet" was saying 50k with basically my ability loadout, but Medusa jewelry instead of Willpower, and Medusa + Maelstrom weapon for back bar instead of just 2x Julianos that I'm using for now. Oh and the 2p monster set, I only have shoulders atm.

That's uhh, a pretty big difference, especially maelstrom and the monster set.

Even then a lot of it will come from passives and quality of equipment, which really matters quite a bit.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

StrixNebulosa posted:

... wait. Wait. The game pushed me from the tutorial zone out to Stros M'Kai, which led me right into a questline with the ship lady - Jakarn and co in various adventures. So we go to orc island and then to Daggerfall and the main quest grabs me and dumps me into hell (and takes my soul), and that dumps me back into Stros M'Kai...

....why doesn't the tutorial drop me in Daggerfall first? That would have had a much more natural quest progression, and it explains why the crew thought I had no soul.

Also now I have another main quest, apparently I had a vision from the Prophet and need to go somewhere. Except I haven't had any visions!

Wibbly wobbly timey whimey

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Had no idea there was a 2GB+ patch today or I would have kicked it off before I was ready to log in... gahh....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Wibbly wobbly timey whimey

I can work with this, having no soul hosed up my sense of time and now quests just happen. It's an ongoing Dragon Break centered on me and everyone else playing the MMO.

Also I think I wanna be a blacksmith and make bigass swords for my orc to wield. Gonna focus on that.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Something something Dragon Break, something something CHIM...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

StrixNebulosa posted:

same i was pretty confused at picking up the intro quest- i think the opening we got is newer?

couple questions:
-is there a significant difference between 1 handed weapon types or just cosmetic? going 1h/shield
-is there any convenient way to do world bosses and other group stuff that doesn't seem to have a dungeon finder?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

-is there a significant difference between 1 handed weapon types or just cosmetic? going 1h/shield

https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/twin-blade-and-blunt

I am not sure on 1H&S though

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StashAugustine posted:

same i was pretty confused at picking up the intro quest- i think the opening we got is newer?
The original intro put you directly in coldharbour. Then for each chapter each intro put you directly in the chapter zone, which was even weirder than what you have now. Then this year they made this unified tutorial, but the link to the beginning of each main story line was lost because they half-assed that last part. I don't think they really get how new players experience the game.

StashAugustine posted:

-is there any convenient way to do world bosses and other group stuff that doesn't seem to have a dungeon finder?
Ask in guild or in zone chat. Zone chat will generally work for some popular zones, but not for others.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The funniest time warp was when I subscribed after playing for a bit. Good times meeting up with Tharn and Lyris in Davon’s Watch while they were supposedly imprisoned in Oblivion.

Also talking to that Tharn starts some sort of dlc that pauses the main quest. Had to abandon the quest, at which point he teleported downstairs and changed clothing so he could give me a different quest.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The only difference is via passives.

Like the above for dual wielding, and only applies while dual wielding. And a similar passive for 2handers (called heavy weapons iirc) that likewise only works for 2handers.

If you're using 1h+s, there is no difference between types of 1h, they will all have the same stats. And with outfits its all cosmetic anyway.

So if the set you're grinding for only dropped an axe or mace you're still good.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Is there anywhere that more specifically lays out how to get away with stealing and murder (blade of woe)? My google-fu hasn't been helpful. Just vague "don't get caught", etc.

I'm wondering things like:

- Do normal NPCs vs Guards have different "we notice you" range?
- How big is that range? (aside from the passive that lowers it)
- How much does line of sight play into this? I know NPCs see you on the side pretty easily.
- Are there differences in "detection" for normal stealing (just chests, drawers, etc) vs murders (with blade of woe)?

I've been doing my murder sprees by being extremely careful, but it can be really time consuming. I have a bunch of stolen crap on me (sheep farm) to work on legerdemain, so I'm trying to not get busted right now, so I've been playing extremely carefully.

And I get that sometimes it's buggy, and like NPCs will notice you through a floor, but that aside.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’m probably on my 5th attempt to get into this game and hoping I can stick it out. There’s so much I like about it but the things I don’t are bad enough to cause me to bounce off every time.

One is how slow leveling and unrewarding leveling is outside of your daily dungeons. Many times you can spend 30 minutes doing a quest with several steps and get like 5% of a level for it. It feels awful even if the story was cool. I wish they’d redistribute the xp a bit away from daily pvp/dungeon to all activities to it is less feast or famine. Being max level isn’t essential to enjoy the game but it does open up more doors for things to do every day and adds variety, so it feels like a waste to not be level 50.

Another is a common one but the combat suffers from being very monotone. It’s not the light attack weaving, but the fact that nothing you ever do feels impactful or good to press a button because it’s a dot, buff, or a delayed reaction like subterranean assault. Like why do they seem incapable of creating a skill that feels good to press? Spammables feel ok but by nature can not feel impactful or exciting to press if you’re spamming them. Some ults and executes do feel somewhat exciting, to the game’s credit, but I wish they’d break down and add cooldowns to some skills or something so they could beef things up a bit.

I know they probably will not change these things but I felt like sharing my gripes anyway.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Ort posted:

I’m probably on my 5th attempt to get into this game and hoping I can stick it out. There’s so much I like about it but the things I don’t are bad enough to cause me to bounce off every time.

One is how slow leveling and unrewarding leveling is outside of your daily dungeons. Many times you can spend 30 minutes doing a quest with several steps and get like 5% of a level for it. It feels awful even if the story was cool. I wish they’d redistribute the xp a bit away from daily pvp/dungeon to all activities to it is less feast or famine. Being max level isn’t essential to enjoy the game but it does open up more doors for things to do every day and adds variety, so it feels like a waste to not be level 50.

Another is a common one but the combat suffers from being very monotone. It’s not the light attack weaving, but the fact that nothing you ever do feels impactful or good to press a button because it’s a dot, buff, or a delayed reaction like subterranean assault. Like why do they seem incapable of creating a skill that feels good to press? Spammables feel ok but by nature can not feel impactful or exciting to press if you’re spamming them. Some ults and executes do feel somewhat exciting, to the game’s credit, but I wish they’d break down and add cooldowns to some skills or something so they could beef things up a bit.

I know they probably will not change these things but I felt like sharing my gripes anyway.

???????????????????????????????????

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'd be up for more exp across the board but the second one... I don't know man, I don't want to play ffxiv anymore.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd be up for more exp across the board but the second one... I don't know man, I don't want to play ffxiv anymore.
Use the XP scrolls you get. As a hoarder let me tell you, you get a ton in login rewards. Save the 150% ones for special occasions, but the 50% ones, just use them.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It’s more that it just feels like constant plate spinning with no real big “wow” moment or exciting payoff besides a high number on the dps meter. Not that it needs more complexity or anything.

Ort fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 25, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ort posted:

It’s more that it just feels like constant plate spinning with no real big “wow” moment or exciting payoff besides a high number on the dps meter. Not that it needs more complexity or anything.

Keep playing. You unlock better skills. I find it extremely satisfying to rain arrows down on foes, charge in swinging my 2h axe in wide arcs, uppercutting, and then smashing foes into the ground.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I can't decide if I want to be a DPS or a healer so I'm being both. If this is wrong too bad I'll make a better character next time. (I love casting that heal spell as I run around hitting things!)

e: Does anything remove or lift the quest cap? I love running around grabbing quests randomly and having just 25 max is kinda bumming me out. I mean I'm going and doing them now but c'mooon.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 25, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can't decide if I want to be a DPS or a healer so I'm being both. If this is wrong too bad I'll make a better character next time. (I love casting that heal spell as I run around hitting things!)

The game's freeform enough that you can just chuck a Resto staff and a few skills on your Bar2 and queue as a healer and that'll be fine, respeccing is stupid easy and encouraged

Doctor Zero posted:

Keep playing. You unlock better skills. I find it extremely satisfying to rain arrows down on foes, charge in swinging my 2h axe in wide arcs, uppercutting, and then smashing foes into the ground.

I have two 50s and have played a few builds, but I will just keep on trucking along. I enjoy the world and the different types of content a lot which is keeping me engaged despite the bad combat. I’ve mostly played dual wield and destruction staff but 2h does seem like it might be a bit more exciting.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006