Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Congratulations! You Won. posted:

all of the cheating was cool and good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

very important for everyone to acknowledge that this result would not have happened without the sprint race

I'm glad we can all finally agree that the sprint race is worth it

I don't believe this at all. McLaren was fast all weekend. They would have been up there without the sprint race. :colbert:

Sprint weekends are terrible, even if our papaya bois pulled off an awesome 1-2.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Congratulations! You Won. posted:

the most 80s thing to me was just how often half the grid would just break down for no clear reason before the end of the race

also, all of the lovely joke teams who would fly around the world in order to not qualify because they were driving an f2 car

all of the cheating was cool and good though

I was waiting with glee for Boco-T to get to the Tyrrell cheating story, because holy poo poo there are amazing details of that (like the car basically volcano'ing extra lead shot on pit lane after pit stops to "top up the water"). less of a cheating story is more the focus from engine designers on using water injection to keep engines cool and somehow getting more power, which of course didn't work, and led one engineer to finally say "we all learned that water still doesn't burn."

the joke teams get joke-ier in the early 1990s IMO. the 1980s guys are still good lads who mean well on a shoestring budget. the real criminal poo poo is a few years later.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

80s by far was my favourite era and it was really the last one that felt like you just sent the driver out there and let them manage everything

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Boco_T posted:

Been reading 80s MotorSports as I watch 80s F1 races and I found this one today, by Denis Jenkinson from the September 1986 issue.

This was a good read!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Pragmatica posted:

I don't believe this at all. McLaren was fast all weekend. They would have been up there without the sprint race. :colbert:

Sprint weekends are terrible, even if our papaya bois pulled off an awesome 1-2.

I've enjoyed having something with higher stakes than practice on each day. The sprint qualis themselves have been a good watch. It's also not such a big change to the format. What is so terrible about them?

It's not like it's F2 where there's the weird grid order mix around and two sprint races and a feature that means sometimes it's best to come 10th tin your first race of the weekend. The F1 sprint format means racing to get ahead of your opponents, not bullshit sandbag strategy, so I like watching it.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I think it’s mostly because I’m old and don’t like change. It’s hard for me to watch qualifying on Friday during the workday (although I was able to catch the last one during lunch). The sprint race feels a little too short? I dunno. It just doesn’t seem very exciting for all the change in my personal routine, which the FIA and F1 should clearly care about. :cheeky:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Going to have to disagree. Qualifying seems a bit boring to me, but a sprint has more excitement. I might catch highlights or the last 10 drivers in a qual, but frankly its not that much more exciting than watching a free practice. I think you see more skill out of the drivers with a sprint, not just how fast they can go without that first lap drama.

Perhaps sprints should be lowered to ten laps, i will admit. 18 might be a bit too much.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I think the sprints can work, but just not with the cars we've got now and have had for this current era. If next year there's a marked effect on overtaking based on car setup, an even-er grid and courage/ability of the drivers then it could be very very good. For this year it just falls a bit flat.

Personally I get more excited for qualifying than the race. The format is great, it's pretty quick, everyone is pushing and I'm interested in every single driver and how close to the edge they're pushing everything. Right now, the sprint is just a bit of a dampener, a really excellent qualifying result like Gasly on the weekend can be undone before the main race through any single incident in the sprint.

I'm also the sort of track going idiot who always springs for the 3-day pass and loves the Friday because it's a great and relaxed opportunity to walk the track, get excited (and on the beers) with fans from all over the world and take in all the sights of the pit-walk and stuff. I don't really need more things going on to get my eyeballs on the product.

It's not bad enough that it needs to be canned immediately, but in its current state and with the current formula it's not really doing much for me. Maybe that'll change.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I agree a lot with that. I am excited to see the format next season with the new cars. To be honest, I really can’t place why I don’t like the format. I also enjoy qualifying because I like seeing the cars pushed to the limit, which is a different limit than what you see in a race, sprint or not.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Catching up on the thread.

Good weekend was good with a good result. Bottas drove a great race, but are Dan getting fastest Lap on the final.

Makes me a proud Perthian, even if he is from Duncraig -_-

I love the papaya boys gangtag, can I get it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

masterpine posted:

I think the sprints can work, but just not with the cars we've got now and have had for this current era. If next year there's a marked effect on overtaking based on car setup, an even-er grid and courage/ability of the drivers then it could be very very good. For this year it just falls a bit flat.

Personally I get more excited for qualifying than the race. The format is great, it's pretty quick, everyone is pushing and I'm interested in every single driver and how close to the edge they're pushing everything. Right now, the sprint is just a bit of a dampener, a really excellent qualifying result like Gasly on the weekend can be undone before the main race through any single incident in the sprint.

the other thought is 'if the cars can pass better, do we need the sprints?'

my feeling is the sprint is just more race, and it's diluting the actual event. I've watched F1 pretty consistently since 1997, and this qualifying format is my favorite -- the only one that's also close is the everyone-gets-one-lap format that was around for a year or two in the mid-2000s. But this current format allows the TV direction to show everyone getting track time (and to see how every driver is doing relatively on that weekend), it generally avoids dead time on track (the late-90s 'one hour/12 laps' format was dead for 30+ minutes bar a Minardi going around) and the drama of going 20->15->10 is perfect.

You get a chance to see every driver push and even if it's not a random grid every time, it's pretty balanced and allows people to shine when they do shine.

also I really don't like the time schedule for Sprint weekends, it pushes that Friday qualifying past how late I can stay up which is very annoying.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t hate the sprints I guess but I agree that I’ve come to really enjoy the current qualifying format and I don’t like seeing it secondary. It’s very weird and hard to explain to a nonfan but it works for all the reasons harperdc said.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Pragmatica posted:

Testing

:lando:

A new F1 gangtag is available as well. I applied it to a few of you already. :)

Hit me!

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 14, 2021

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
As much as I like the sprint I am in full agreement that the qualifying format in F1 is fantastic. I love watching quali and seeing everyone push for the fastest lap. The flag and safety car impact on quali and the track development means there's strategy to it as well as just driving the poo poo out of the car, plus there's the tow strategy and all the hilarious queuing and spacing.

I can see the argument that this is a good enough way to set the grid, thus making a sprint superfluous. The two sprints so far though have been super fun to watch and I'm in my first season of following the sport so I'm not gonna say no to more racing!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pragmatica posted:

Testing

:lando:

All I want for christmas is this tag replacing my GP2 thread tag. tyia!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

big trivia FAIL posted:

longtime F1 thread lurker 1st time F1 thread poster

Here, have a gang tag

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Let's just stoke that fire a bit more...

https://twitter.com/ESPNF1/status/1437491272709722113?s=20

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Pragmatica posted:

I’ll hand out some celebratory sixers with this image. Just quote my post here.

Gimme the juice of this 6 hour foot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Here, have a gang tag

where were all these mclaren fans when danny ric was just a midfield driver getting bested by a twitch streamer every week ?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Rooting for the twitch streamer, and hoping Ric would come back.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Watch Bottas sneak the world title when Max & Lewis crash every race.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Dictator. posted:

where were all these mclaren fans when danny ric was just a midfield driver getting bested by a twitch streamer every week ?

driving his go-karts near Burswood stadium

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Stolen from Reddit, so its probably false.

Monza was a 1-2 finish for drivers number 3 and 4, giving McLaren their 5th podium of the season. This Daniel's 6th top six finish for the team on a weekend where driver number 7 did not compete. This gave Daniel his 8th career victory, 9 years after McLarens last win! 10 years since Daniel's debut within the sport.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

F1 is up there with baseball in terms of absolutely useless stats.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Custard Undies posted:

Monza was a 1-2 finish for drivers number 3 and 4, giving McLaren their 5th podium of the season. This Daniel's 6th top six finish for the team on a weekend where driver number 7 did not compete. This gave Daniel his 8th career victory, 9 years after McLarens last win! 10 years since Daniel's debut within the sport.

no 69 or 420, who cares

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Watch Lando sneak the world title when Max & Lewis crash every race. Poggers mate!

FTFY

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Pragmatica posted:

I agree, I hope they don't use this victory to justify the sprint format as it is.

I read that next year they're looking to expand it to 7 races, but they want to separate the sprint race from the main race. So friday qualifying would set the grid for Sunday, and on Saturday they'd have a separate race in reverse championship order, so it would be Haas & Williams P1234, Mercedes & Red Bull 16-20? Just throw out 3 extra points to motivate the rich guys to drive

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

refleks posted:

F1 is up there with baseball in terms of absolutely useless stats.
and reddit is a hotbed for this BS, just a selection of items of this week:

Ricciardo becomes the second driver in the turbo-hybrid era to have victories with two different constructors

Ferrari now has the 3rd longest wait between wins of all teams on the grid

Italy 2021 marked the first time Hamilton has retired from a race since Austria 2018 three years ago. This is also the first time he has retired because of a crash since Spain 2016 five years ago.

Ricciardo the 4th different winner of the Italian GP in the last 4 years | McLaren's first 1 -2 of the season, the 5th non Merc in the turbo hybrid era, McLaren's first since Canada 2010

2022 will see a constructor with 2 drivers from the same nation for the first time since 2012!

If Mercedes Wins WCC this year, Bottas will be only driver that won every WCC in his Mercedes career since 2010

Lewis Hamilton now has a total of 3999.5 career points, and he can reach the 4000 point mark without ever scoring in a race thanks to sprint qualifying, where he must finish at least third to earn one more point.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Cirofren posted:

I thought the Driver61 youtube analysis of the crash was very good and it's hard to see how it's anything other than a racing incident.

There was a gap, it wasn't big enough, and if there wasn't a sausage kerb it would have been fine.

Besides Daniel said it was a racing incident so what more do you need.

Plus we got Moza Speed King Valtteri Bottas's priceless reaction to it.

I've been seeing people say that the stewards go off intent and not outcome and as someone who has watched all but one race this year that's clearly bullshit. Is this an actually stated modus operandi of the stewards or people just making poo poo up?

dude called silverstone mostly Lewis's fault to call this a racing incident and not blame max is pretty lovely

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cirofren posted:

I thought the Driver61 youtube analysis of the crash was very good and it's hard to see how it's anything other than a racing incident.

There was a gap, it wasn't big enough, and if there wasn't a sausage kerb it would have been fine.

Besides Daniel said it was a racing incident so what more do you need.

Plus we got Moza Speed King Valtteri Bottas's priceless reaction to it.

I've been seeing people say that the stewards go off intent and not outcome and as someone who has watched all but one race this year that's clearly bullshit. Is this an actually stated modus operandi of the stewards or people just making poo poo up?

I think you mean RACING DRIVER* Driver61

*2004 EuroBOSS champion, 2009 Superleague Formula replacement driver

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This is just such a loving dumb take.
He can feel, hear and then finally see Lewis revving and trying to reverse from under the car he's trying to climb out of the whole time.
What does he assume, a ghost is trying to get back into the race?
Literally everyone reporting this is ignoring the actual shots of him looking over at Lewis as he shakes his head.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Pragmatica posted:

Could I have please?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yes Please Sir!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Dictator. posted:

Ferrari now has the 3rd longest wait between wins of all teams on the grid

This stat actually owns sorry (although it's 4th longest isn't it? Haas, Alfa and Williams have gone longer)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's between wins, as in they have to have a win for the timer to stop

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Dictator. posted:

Mclaren have always been up and down through the years and at the moment it feels like they're about to have a big upswing. Combine that with both drivers being good lads who mean well and it's easy to see why they're about to boom in popularity.

I welcome it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Carlos really did inherit Alonso’s curse while he was away (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Custard Undies posted:

Close the thread we’ve reached the bottom