Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Section Z posted:

My first playthrough as an Engineer, I was actually mildly jealous of Tali because her Gameplay was vastly different than her lore.

"We have to rescue the quarian."
*Tali causes an explosion when she realizes she is being played*
"...Okay, everyone pretend she needed our help."

"Remember, Tali keeps talking about how one tiny scratch will kill her with a turbo infection. Make sure she stays out of trouble-"
*Tali rushes in to murder people with a shotgun and mega shields while Wrex is bleeding out on the ground*
"...Okay is this a prank? Is 'fragile quarians' a prank people are playing on me?"

On the other hand, even though she gets an increasingly badass reputation in 2 and 3 and shield refilling energy drain power, I just can't manage to keep her from dying :saddowns:

Legendary edition lets you be good with shotguns no matter what you play so that certainly helps you a hell of a lot. Though it can also gloss over one of the big reasons she stood out compared to a regular engineer in the base game. In hindsight, this makes me wonder how much LE gunplay changes are helping Kaiden. Considering ME1 sentinel has no weapon skills and just kind of glues a few pistol bonuses onto the class passive.

I think Tali as ~*fragile space waifu*~ got overhyped by segments of the fan community. She's a legit badass. But when you rescue her she's in way over her head being hunted by a rogue specter with no allies or safe place to turn to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Section Z posted:

My first playthrough as an Engineer, I was actually mildly jealous of Tali because her Gameplay was vastly different than her lore.

"We have to rescue the quarian."
*Tali causes an explosion when she realizes she is being played*
"...Okay, everyone pretend she needed our help."

"Remember, Tali keeps talking about how one tiny scratch will kill her with a turbo infection. Make sure she stays out of trouble-"
*Tali rushes in to murder people with a shotgun and mega shields while Wrex is bleeding out on the ground*
"...Okay is this a prank? Is 'fragile quarians' a prank people are playing on me?"

On the other hand, even though she gets an increasingly badass reputation in 2 and 3 and shield refilling energy drain power, I just can't manage to keep her from dying :saddowns:

Legendary edition lets you be good with shotguns no matter what you play so that certainly helps you a hell of a lot. Though it can also gloss over one of the big reasons she stood out compared to a regular engineer in the base game. In hindsight, this makes me wonder how much LE gunplay changes are helping Kaiden. Considering ME1 sentinel has no weapon skills and just kind of glues a few pistol bonuses onto the class passive.

To be fair, Tali has very poor health, and armor for her that could increase her damage protection is very rare. The Shields, awesome as they are, are all she has going for her survivability-wise. And stuff like Rachni completely ignore them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Tempest doesn't have a gun, kinda dumb imo

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
where we’re going we don’t need guns :grin:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazetheInferno posted:

To be fair, Tali has very poor health, and armor for her that could increase her damage protection is very rare. The Shields, awesome as they are, are all she has going for her survivability-wise. And stuff like Rachni completely ignore them.

There isn't a whole lot that just ignores shields like that though, and her absurd shield stat coupled with the recharge ability means she can wade through gunfire no problem. Of course, being a ridiculous, unkillable wall in me1 is the rule, not the exception. Specifically that exception is garrus, the only character in game to not have barrier, immunity or tali's comical bonus of over 500 to her shields.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think Drack works as a mirror to Wrex. Where Wrex is pretty dour and only opens up after you do a lot of work to help him and his race, but will be pretty open about his personal concerns and observations about the Krogan, Drack is pretty open and friendly from the start, and jokes around with the crew a lot, but only opens up about his personal worries and issues with himself and the Krogan over time.

Plus Drack is so old he's essentially a good base of what a Krogan was before the genophage, compared to Wrex and a lot of ME3 stuff where it does only give hints of what they actually were like.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

exquisite tea posted:

I think the reason why Tali and Garrus are remembered fondly really isn't for their arcs in ME1, but for the familiarity factor carrying into ME2. Their characterizations in the first game are pretty one-note, which is true for most of the cast. Tali is a Quarian exposition machine and Garrus just keeps asking you whether he should be a good spacecop or a bad spacecop. Without ME2 evolving their characterization in a satisfying way I think they would fall just as flat as the human companions.

In ME1 Tali and Garrus first and foremost had to be your introductions and windows into Quarians and Turians respectively; it'd be extremely difficult having them serve as examples of their races while also showcase how they differ from them as well, except in the broadest terms and in ways that can be used to further explore the races as a whole. So, in ME2, with that legwork done, they get to be their own people.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Big disagree on Garrus at least. His angst in 1 about leaving the force and killing Dr. Heart vs arresting him wasn't incredible or anything but it was a lot better than his drama in 2 about getting his team killed while hunting gang members. Garrus just sucks in 2. If Bioware had unlimited resources there should have been an alternate path depending on how you dealt with him in 1 where he shows up as part of the establishment like Kaiden / Ashley instead of turning into the dollar store Punisher.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Randallteal posted:

Big disagree on Garrus at least. His angst in 1 about leaving the force and killing Dr. Heart vs arresting him wasn't incredible or anything but it was a lot better than his drama in 2 about getting his team killed while hunting gang members. Garrus just sucks in 2. If Bioware had unlimited resources there should have been an alternate path depending on how you dealt with him in 1 where he shows up as part of the establishment like Kaiden / Ashley instead of turning into the dollar store Punisher.

Counterpoint his recruitment mission is one of if not the best in the game, so

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Randallteal posted:

Big disagree on Garrus at least. His angst in 1 about leaving the force and killing Dr. Heart vs arresting him wasn't incredible or anything but it was a lot better than his drama in 2 about getting his team killed while hunting gang members. Garrus just sucks in 2. If Bioware had unlimited resources there should have been an alternate path depending on how you dealt with him in 1 where he shows ⁹up as part of the establishment like Kaiden / Ashley instead of turning into the dollar store Punisher.

Wouldn't even be too hard to keep the same plot. Just change the setup to "well I was on loan with my team as a political favor, one thing lead to another and well..."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Garrus as the guy who always 100% has Shepard's back but also needs Shepard around to keep them from succumbing to the dark side is an aspect of the character I have come to appreciate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bongo Bill posted:

Garrus as the guy who always 100% has Shepard's back but also needs Shepard around to keep them from succumbing to the dark side is an aspect of the character I have come to appreciate.

I really wish I could make myself play as evil Shepard just to so the archangel plot makes sense

In other news, playing Andromeda and it seems mostly not bad? Like, I'm only to Eos and it looks like there is a sandboxy exploration game on the horizon, so I should be prepared for more planet 7 but with other biomes, so as long as I don't make the mistake of playing this like a bioware plot driven game I should be fine

Also, all of the characters have droopy eyes so obviously the whole ark either suffered a stroke or is high as a loving kite the whole time, so I can understand some really dumb choices

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

I really wish I could make myself play as evil Shepard just to so the archangel plot makes sense

In other news, playing Andromeda and it seems mostly not bad? Like, I'm only to Eos and it looks like there is a sandboxy exploration game on the horizon, so I should be prepared for more planet 7 but with other biomes, so as long as I don't make the mistake of playing this like a bioware plot driven game I should be fine

Also, all of the characters have droopy eyes so obviously the whole ark either suffered a stroke or is high as a loving kite the whole time, so I can understand some really dumb choices

I really enjoyed the kind of sandboxy "dick around, pick up missions, do the ones you felt like, head off to map markers, do sick jumps off obstacles in the Nomad" kinda open parts of Andromeda. The planet where you can't drive the Nomad sucks, because I wanted to jump over that big stupid trench.

I ended up leaving most of the main missions as late as I could in each section of the game and then just ran through them in a couple of afternoons to finish things off once I'd done everything else that seemed interesting (although some of the main missions unlock More Stuff To Do or various subquests obviously). For people who want a short, tight and focussed game tho, Andromeda is very much not that I imagine.

Edit: I also installed a ton of QoL mods that people upthread somewhere suggested so that probably helped the experience.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Andromeda works fine as a short, focused game as the broader open world busywork stuff just doesn't matter and isn't very fun or interesting after you do the first handful of quests on the first planet.

The big issue is that it's two different games mashed together due to disastrous project planning and management. It pays lip service towards being a first contact, exploration and outpost building experience, and does have a volume of quests and planets to back that up even if they're bland and repetitive, but the narrative is about zooming around to rescue your people and find the magical doodad(s), defeat the big villain to save the day. It's a consistently contradictory experience.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
in ME2, Garrus has one of the best recruitment missions, but Tali's loyalty mission is hands down the best loyalty mission (especially if you do it with Legion). Garrus' Loyalty mission is pretty meh.

For me in ME2 Tali and Garrus are helped by me liking less of the ME2 squad mates at a general level. I don't like jack, miranda or Zaeed. Jacob, Kasumi and Samara I'm lukewarm about and Grunt is just kind of annoying (although is dossier is cute). I like mordin, legion, garrus and tali.

I think upon replays it's also helpful that Garrus and Tali are the only squadmates you can play through the entire trilogy with.

With Garrus specifically I think it's a little interesting as I don't like him in ME1, I find him pretty annoying. In ME2 his whole "good cop who's inhibited by red tap" thing is the same, but the way he is written changes a little and he is much more fun to be around going from a character I don't like to one I really like.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

TheGreySpectre posted:

in ME2, Garrus has one of the best recruitment missions, but Tali's loyalty mission is hands down the best loyalty mission (especially if you do it with Legion). Garrus' Loyalty mission is pretty meh.

Tali's loyalty is very whatever to me because fighting geth is less interesting to me than most mercenary encounters (especially in something like Garrus recruitment where you fight multiple different permutations of every different gang and enemy type).

Also, you have to humor the quarians way too much about their bullshit in ME2, they are an extremely unsympathetic group

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

fighting geth is less interesting to me than most mercenary encounters

I find the geth and mercenary fights to be very similar for me. Both of them I feel like I just hide in cover and shoot people in the face for both. The only enemy that I feel mixes things up out of those two is if you let the flamethrower guys get close but they are uncommon and only change things if you don't shoot them first.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wolfsheim posted:

Tali's loyalty is very whatever to me because fighting geth is less interesting to me than most mercenary encounters (especially in something like Garrus recruitment where you fight multiple different permutations of every different gang and enemy type).

Also, you have to humor the quarians way too much about their bullshit in ME2, they are an extremely unsympathetic group

I do like how after being told you need to find evidence and can’t just talk your way out of it, the arguably best ending is to say screw the evidence and talk your way out of it.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

bobjr posted:

I do like how after being told you need to find evidence and can’t just talk your way out of it, the arguably best ending is to say screw the evidence and talk your way out of it.

Isn't presenting the evidence actually one of the worst endings?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm perpetually annoyed that there isn't an option to smash Xen and the War Hawk admiral's faceplates together and then space them. They ignore your pleas to not start the war, do it anyways, commit several war crimes in the process, and endanger their civilian population, and the most you can do is punch the guy and tell him to get off your ship.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
one thing that me3 kinda just glosses over is that the war hawks are overtly lovely but admiral whatshername, tali's very friendly mentor was the deciding vote to go to war with the geth

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the quarians are extremely jarring to me, because they are kind of set up to be sympathetic, and clearly the author of that part was "we must be wary of letting our technology get out of our control", but are they revealed to be genocidal monsters who started the whole thing yet there is a strong vein of just expecting us to still side with them. Like... we are just expected to accept that doing the monstrous thing was a necessary evil, and even after the game points out how monstrous it was we are still expected to accept it.

it seems like at no point does anyone writing the game think "maybe there is a route they could have taken that WASN'T monstrous?"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of the Quarians, seeing as I've only played through ME3 once I haven't been able to try this - what happens if you side with the Geth against their makers, then pick the destroy ending - thus wiping out the Geth? Does it touch on the subject of what happened in that region of space, at all?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of the Quarians, seeing as I've only played through ME3 once I haven't been able to try this - what happens if you side with the Geth against their makers, then pick the destroy ending - thus wiping out the Geth? Does it touch on the subject of what happened in that region of space, at all?

I don’t think they reference it again. On another note, the first time I played through and was romancing Tali and accidentally supported Legion during Priority Rannoch. What a bummer. ME3 goes after the feels on a lot of your dick moves. Like betraying Wrex actually made me feel like a bad person.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

denimgorilla posted:

I don’t think they reference it again. On another note, the first time I played through and was romancing Tali and accidentally supported Legion during Priority Rannoch. What a bummer. ME3 goes after the feels on a lot of your dick moves. Like betraying Wrex actually made me feel like a bad person.

Ah, that's a shame. Would've been cool (in a sad way) if they even just briefly showed the Quarian home system desolate, with deactivated geth ships and wrecks of Quarian ships floating around, or something.

Also yeah, I can't imagine betraying Wrex and his people. :( And I didn't think of romancing Tali and then betraying the Quarians. THAT would create some issues with the relationship, that's for sure! :D I assume Tali firmly "nopes" out of working with Shep after that debacle

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

THAT would create some issues with the relationship, that's for sure! :D I assume Tali firmly "nopes" out of working with Shep after that debacle

She nopes out of everything

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

If you have high enough Paragon or Renegade, you can basically end the war by yelling at the Quarians. In my previous playthroughs, I've instructed Legion (never lost a single person on the suicide mission in ME:2 because my FemShep looks after her peeps :smugbert:). That prevents the Quarians and the Geth wiping each other out, but Legion sacrifices his own life to complete the Geth upgrade, and the Geth and Quarians reach some level of synthesis (Tali mentions that the Geth are uploading their AI into the Quarian suits to boost their immune systems and making the suits far more efficient, among other things, which is pushing the Quarians towards being able to survive outside of their suits indefinitely decades centuries closer than they'd initially thought).

The Destroy ending wipes the Geth out anyway, along with EDI. If you're super attached to the Geth and EDI - who loving rules - then you need to go with the Synthesis or Control endings, regardless of the outcome of the Quarian-Geth war. The Catalyst tells us that choosing to destroy the Reapers will destroy all synthetic life, so we see EDI's name on the memorial wall on the Normandy, and the Geth simply don't appear in the PowerPoint presentation at the end. In the Synthesis ending, EDI narrates it, and we see the Geth and Quarians hanging out together on a highly advanced and developed planet (presumably Rannoch), and in the Control ending, EDI appears at the Memorial Wall scene, and you see the Geth hanging out with the ReapSheps in the slideshow.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Speaking of control ending. Years ago someone posted a drawing of reaper shep drinking a space margarita while harby rebuilt a mass relay. Any chance someone still has that handy?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, that's a shame. Would've been cool (in a sad way) if they even just briefly showed the Quarian home system desolate, with deactivated geth ships and wrecks of Quarian ships floating around, or something.

Also yeah, I can't imagine betraying Wrex and his people. :( And I didn't think of romancing Tali and then betraying the Quarians. THAT would create some issues with the relationship, that's for sure! :D I assume Tali firmly "nopes" out of working with Shep after that debacle

Lol.

In all seriousness though yeah, she actually jumps off a cliff.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
the mass effect trilogy often feels like the writers had vague ideas of a plot instead of an actual, crafted plan

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Best Friends posted:

She nopes out of everything

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lol.

In all seriousness though yeah, she actually jumps off a cliff.

Oh boy, that was darker than I was expecting! :D I guess it's kinda understandable though, when it looks like your entire species is about to go down the drain

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheGreySpectre posted:

I find the geth and mercenary fights to be very similar for me. Both of them I feel like I just hide in cover and shoot people in the face for both. The only enemy that I feel mixes things up out of those two is if you let the flamethrower guys get close but they are uncommon and only change things if you don't shoot them first.
Flamethrower guy in 2 are another reason my preference is "Play someone with overload"

Do I NEED the option to instantly kill flamethrower users? No. Is it always funny, every single time? yes.

RFC2324 posted:

the quarians are extremely jarring to me, because they are kind of set up to be sympathetic, and clearly the author of that part was "we must be wary of letting our technology get out of our control", but are they revealed to be genocidal monsters who started the whole thing yet there is a strong vein of just expecting us to still side with them. Like... we are just expected to accept that doing the monstrous thing was a necessary evil, and even after the game points out how monstrous it was we are still expected to accept it.

it seems like at no point does anyone writing the game think "maybe there is a route they could have taken that WASN'T monstrous?"

I half expect 90% of the "angry war loving quarians" angle suddenly dumped on you is a desperate attempt to make the asari not look so bad for exiling their species from the Citadel.

"As you can see, we were incredibly wise and in the right to exile these assholes. Now excuse me, I need to get back to hiding our prothean super beacon while you fight the reapers until it is too late."

After all, they could play up the "Past quarians were assholes because AI just wants to know if it has a soul, right guys?" angle just fine without requiring current Quarians to decide the best time to wage a war with a weaker AI race is... when the super evil mega AI race is waging war.

A good chunk of the game is dedicated to Quarians suddenly becoming war mongering assholes that have to be saved from themselves. And then "Whoops well we ran out of Dev time can't blame us for just glossing over the fact Asari were hiding things the fate of the galaxy depend on from you onto the endgame gogogo..."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 21, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"no one in our entire race has learned a single god damned lesson, and we are are dedicated to rushing headlong into extinction doing it again" was not something I expected to play out in 3. after both of the other 2 I expected some "the quarians have learned their lesson" bit but no. that does not happen til its forced at the last moment because dramatic tension or something dumb

they were that stupid long before the last minute "the asari are hoarding loot" twist

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Same thing with Mages and Templars in Dragon Age: both sides must morally be equal so the choice to chose one is hard, but Bioware over-corrects when one side is initially presented as more sympathetic

So you have Dragon Age 2 where all but like 2 Mages you meet are Blood Mages who turn abomination almost immediately, and here in Mass Effect 3 where Han'Gerrel will fire on that Geth Dreadnought with Tali on it, even though in the previous game he was best friends with Tali's father and thinks of her as a niece

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Major Isoor posted:

I guess it's kinda understandable though, when it looks like your entire species is about to go down the drain

If Tali isn't alive when you side with the Geth in ME3, Aunty Ra'an shoots herself instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Can we at least agree that the Tempest is an extremely good boy?

Except for having that silly conference room in the back of a working patrol boat, but they all have that.

It is beaten only by the SR1 for me - SR2 is too bulky and spacious.

The Tempest is the H2 Hummer of spaceships. Big & useless. As others have mentioned and as visible in-game the layout & in-universe functionality is terrible. Basically it's just a VIP luxury yacht.

By all means like it though, if that's your jam.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

If Tali isn't alive when you side with the Geth in ME3, Aunty Ra'an shoots herself instead.

This happened to me. I lost Tali in the Suicide Mission and sided with the geth because the narrative has portrayed the quarians as the aggressors since ME1.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How do you lose anyone on the Suicide Mission? Saving everyone is child's play.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

edogawa rando posted:

I've played the game several times, to try out the different classes, paragon vs renegade, romances etc, so naturally I've done a 'kill everyone and see what happens in ME3' option too.

From this I learnt that Mordin, Tali, and Legion should be kept alive as a priority, Jack too if I can face her loyalty mission, but there is no need to do Jacob or Grunt's, and Thane and Garrus should definitely die in the suicide mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I didn't get her Loyalty because I didn't care or pay attention to the politics of it all.

I was like "your dad is torturing geth, Imma tell everybody." I didn't realize this somehow empowered the pro-torture side and the person persecuting her was the good Admrial.