Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Proust Malone posted:

At a bare minimum internal affairs needs to shuffle cases in areas where there are multiple law enforcement bodies. Have SFPD handle Oakland.

I honestly can't fathom why you would think this would make any difference at all, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cuz he's a liberal. You can't be a liberal and not, on some level, think that the institutions we have are functional. His assumption is that having cops police cops will work so long as the right group of cops or the right mix of cops and civilian oversight is found, instead of challenging the basic idea that cops should handle all police work in the first place. Despite being a raging communist I don't really believe in police or prison abolition, but what we have in California is some kind of weird almost parallel government to the regular elected legislative kind that pretty much does whatever it wants. The only level where anyone has any oversight is the mayor/city council to the police department or, theoretically, the voters to the sheriff.

But especially the state police can and do whatever they want without any consequences. So just letting these guys who are already largely outside the normal structure of society police themselves is an insane idea to try, and it only makes sense if you're idea if the world is we've already done the hard part and we just need to tweak things now.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 2, 2021

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So there's an oil spill off the coast of Orange County.

I contacted both my state assemblymember and my state senator today, telling them that we need to shut down offshore drilling yesterday, and that every gallon of oil pumped out is going to pollute our atmosphere, our land, or our water, all to enrich the oil companies. It took two minutes, and hopefully it makes a bit of a difference. If you want to contact your reps too, you can find out who they are here and get links to their sites, which in turn have contact info.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
isn't all of the offshore drilling done on federal leases? i remember trump threatening to approve new leases off the coast because it's federal jurisdiction. contacting state assembly and senate folks can't hurt, but i think local members of congress would be more likely to be able to directly act on the issue. white house would probably be the ones with the most power in this situation, but the least likely to actually care if you call or write a letter

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Activists have been angry at Newsom for years for his issuance of drilling permits. He's signed off on something like 1,700 during his tenure, though I believe most or all of those are on land.

As for the offshore drilling, I'm not sure how many are in state vs. federal waters, but the state could probably take action to end some of the leases that the existing platforms are operating on. And harassing your state legislators can sometimes get them to start leaning on the federal reps.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

California Is Now the Only State In the CDC's Second-Lowest Tier for COVID Transmission

SFist posted:

After leading the nation three weeks ago in becoming one of only three states to move out of the CDC's red tier indicating high overall COVID transmission, California is now the only state in the yellow or "moderate" tier.

Connecticut is the only other state in the nation not in the red tier currently, and it is still in the orange or "substantial" tier where California was on September 14. Vermont has since moved back to the red tier. And the only other place in the yellow tier currently is the territory of Puerto Rico.

California's move to "moderate" is thanks to a statewide seven-day average case rate that dropped from from 95.3 per 100,000 residents to 41.3 per 100,000 over the past two weeks.

California's testing positivity rate also dropped from around 3% to 2.6% in that same span.

The last and lowest tier for transmission, which no state has been in for months, is the blue or "low" tier — roughly equivalent the California health department's former Yellow tier. California will qualify for this tier once we reach fewer than 10 daily cases per 100,000 residents.

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1445120835153391632

High rates of vaccination in California's most populated counties are likely helping this along, in combination with the reimposed masking orders that occurred during July and August's Delta variant surge. And state health officials continue to say that new cases are predominantly occurring among unvaccinated residents.

According to a release from the state Department of Public Health, the rate of new cases among unvaccinated residents aged 16 and over is eight times higher than the rate among the vaccinated — 57.41 per 100,000 residents, versus 7.12 per 100,000. This is being borne out in data in other states, and current hot spots for the virus like North Dakota and Alaska are also hotbeds of antivaxx conspiracy theories, Trump fandom, and general distrust of science and the government.

In California, 49.8 million vaccine doses have been administered to date statewide, and 84.4% of the eligible population now has at least one shot.

According to the CDC's indoor masking recommendation from late July, areas of the country in the "substantial" or "high" transmission categories should still be mandating masks in indoor public spaces. So, with California now in the "moderate" tier, mask orders may soon be loosened — but we'll see.

No one wants to slide backwards again — and it's not like the bars and clubs are really making people keep those masks on anyway, as Mayor London Breed showed.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The leak is from a federal platform. The state has jurisdiction over 3 platforms off the coast of Southern California. There are more platforms off the Ventura coast. I think there is a moratorium on new drilling on state controlled waters (3 miles off the coast). I am unsure if that applies to a redrill or if it is just a specific moratorium on a new hole.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 6, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cool and good except that recent history has taught us that the second cases start falling politicians decide it's a good time to open 'er up and reset gains back to zero.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

Cool and good except that recent history has taught us that the second cases start falling politicians decide it's a good time to open 'er up and reset gains back to zero.

idk about the bay or down south but Sacramento to Tahoe is basically back to normal, except for maybe 1 in 4 to 1 in 2 people wearing masks (except for retail workers, who are generally always masked. my county at least never changed the health department mask order). we kind of already had the big spike, the state just... never bothered to actually make anyone shut down again after the first let-up. there would probably be worse statistics, but for example my household all had COVID in August and it wouldn't be reported cuz we all used home test kits, so that might be a factor too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Here in Orange County, we already have indoor dining, crowded stadiums, and packed retail. And mask mandates are not enforced.

So, besides any possible pediatric spikes, I think levels are going to stay the same or decrease. And it will be incumbent on individuals (or their caretakers, minders, and guardians) to use masks and encourage others to do so as well. If you walk into most asian supermarkets around here, you will not see any maskless individuals (except one or two who as not asian). But if I walk into a Ralphs or Albertsons, I am usually the only masked person besides the employees.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

idk about the bay or down south but Sacramento to Tahoe is basically back to normal, except for maybe 1 in 4 to 1 in 2 people wearing masks (except for retail workers, who are generally always masked. my county at least never changed the health department mask order). we kind of already had the big spike, the state just... never bothered to actually make anyone shut down again after the first let-up. there would probably be worse statistics, but for example my household all had COVID in August and it wouldn't be reported cuz we all used home test kits, so that might be a factor too.

Weird, in Sacramento seeing someone in a grocery store or whatever without a mask is still a rare sight indeed.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
seemingly the majority of people in my neighborhood are masked up even outdoors still. going briefly to low-pop areas of colorado and utah briefly was quite a shock

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tayter Swift posted:

Weird, in Sacramento seeing someone in a grocery store or whatever without a mask is still a rare sight indeed.

it's pretty weirdly variable. theres been spots where it's basically 100% and then by my sister's place in orangevale we were the only people in the whole store besides the employees lol. frankly since i got COVID I got more 'well gently caress it what's the point anymore' myself, so I guess I get it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

We’re at 85% with at least one shot though, the conditions are different.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Here in Orange County, we already have indoor dining, crowded stadiums, and packed retail. And mask mandates are not enforced.

So, besides any possible pediatric spikes, I think levels are going to stay the same or decrease. And it will be incumbent on individuals (or their caretakers, minders, and guardians) to use masks and encourage others to do so as well. If you walk into most asian supermarkets around here, you will not see any maskless individuals (except one or two who as not asian). But if I walk into a Ralphs or Albertsons, I am usually the only masked person besides the employees.

I'm in South OC, I'd say it's closer to 50/50 most stores I've been, but its the restaurants that are around to 0%. My grocery shopping is mainly Trader Joe's and Costco.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Larry Parrish posted:

Bay Area has everybody wearing masks inside (except for indoor dining where the general application of the rule seems to be wear your mask until you sit down at your table) and a lot still wearing them outdoors as well. Although there's some murmuring that the indoor mask mandate might get dropped relatively soon.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

sb hermit posted:

I'm in LA and vastly more people live here and masking is pretty much 100% in any indoor space and most outdoor spaces.

If LA stopped that you'd see a lot more movement than OC being at 50%.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Masking in San Diego is 50/50 at best. The difference here is that almost none of the stores have updated their signs to require masks. They still have their "masks only required if unvaccinated" signs up, so a lot of people are still opting to forgo them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

it's pretty weirdly variable. theres been spots where it's basically 100% and then by my sister's place in orangevale we were the only people in the whole store besides the employees lol. frankly since i got COVID I got more 'well gently caress it what's the point anymore' myself, so I guess I get it.
IME Orangevale and Roseville have a pretty low mask rate, but everywhere else I see most people wearing them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

CompeAnansi posted:

Masking in San Diego is 50/50 at best. The difference here is that almost none of the stores have updated their signs to require masks. They still have their "masks only required if unvaccinated" signs up, so a lot of people are still opting to forgo them.

Unless, like in OC, you walk into an asian grocery store, where 99% of people will be masked

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
dejoy is making a top notch job at making usps worse than fedex ground, the few times I have sent things over the past year sending it over usps takes always longer and costs more now somehow than ups. Letters are taking 2-3 weeks to arrive lmao

I dread when I buy something online and shows a usps tracking code now, as it will take forever, gently caress you Biden for not firing the board, the cvountry I come from this is similar how they ended up privatizing the postal service, make it so horrible and expensive that people don't even notice when it gets privatized.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Tayter Swift posted:

Maybe if you count wearing a mask as having a mask somewhere on their body, not counting for it actually covering their mouth and nose. The only places I've been in with near 100% masking are the little asian markets. Even the bougie markets have their little enclaves of people sitting around without masks on, drinking coffee or whatever. Rough estimate from Grocery Outlet, Walmart, Target, and Safeways is under 5% wearing N95 masks, 50% wearing cloth/surgical masks somewhat correctly, 30% wearing masks incorrectly, 20% unmasked. Special shout out to the only N95 I saw during a Target trip. That was being worn on the dude's chin.

I stopped giving a poo poo about what other people are wearing, I have an N95 or P100 on whenever I leave my house. And I keep it on as long there's a possibility of sharing air a person outside my household. Yall can do whatever with your dicknosing, cloth masks, and rules lawyering a virus with technicalities. I'm using filters rated for this threat level, good luck with the magic charms and talismans.

The foothills and rural areas are way worse. No masks, and had a dude yell WUHAN WUHAN WUHAN at my gf and I while we were walking on a sidewalk a few months ago, lol.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 6, 2021

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

It's a little silly for Newsom to be doing victory laps over COVID while the rates remain so high and he's deploying the national guard to overwhelmed hospitals. The state as a whole is already back in the orange tier.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-10-01/national-guard-activated-to-assist-beleaguered-hospitals-in-rural-california

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Canasta_Nasty posted:

It's a little silly for Newsom to be doing victory laps over COVID while the rates remain so high and he's deploying the national guard to overwhelmed hospitals. The state as a whole is already back in the orange tier.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-10-01/national-guard-activated-to-assist-beleaguered-hospitals-in-rural-california

Yes, but have you considered that numbers were low on a Sunday, so covid is over?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

jetz0r posted:

Maybe if you count wearing a mask as having a mask somewhere on their body, not counting for it actually covering their mouth and nose. The only places I've been in with near 100% masking are the little asian markets. Even the bougie markets have their little enclaves of people sitting around without masks on, drinking coffee or whatever. Rough estimate from Grocery Outlet, Walmart, Target, and Safeways is under 5% wearing N95 masks, 50% wearing cloth/surgical masks somewhat correctly, 30% wearing masks incorrectly, 20% unmasked. Special shout out to the only N95 I saw during a Target trip. That was being worn on the dude's chin.

I stopped giving a poo poo about what other people are wearing, I have an N95 or P100 on whenever I leave my house. And I keep it on as long there's a possibility of sharing air a person outside my household. Yall can do whatever with your dicknosing, cloth masks, and rules lawyering a virus with technicalities. I'm using filters rated for this threat level, good luck with the magic charms and talismans.

The foothills and rural areas are way worse. No masks, and had a dude yell WUHAN WUHAN WUHAN at my gf and I while we were walking on a sidewalk a few months ago, lol.

Up here in the northern central valley we had a lawyer ask us to take out our masks in his office

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I made a pit stop through Bakersfield last week and stopped at a diner for breakfast. No masks even from the staff. The middle aged waitress seemed to get annoyed at me that she couldn't hear me because of my mask even though I was pretty much yelling my order out loud for all the customers to hear.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i stopped going to the "old people" raley's in arden-arcade because for some strange reason all the elderly shoppers there are either unmasked or remove their masks every time they need to speak to anyone

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I’ve been going to the gym again for the last couple months wearing an N95 and I’m usually the only one in a mask out of the 50+ people there at any given time. Grocery store masking is roughly 20%. This is in Butte County.

Once you drive 30 minutes north to Tehama County you’ll never see a mask in any context anywhere. The most rural of the rural counties never wore them to begin with, mandated or not.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tacier posted:

This is in Butte County.
heh

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The land where chico residents are mad that the ultra conservative mayor and council won't ignore a judge restraining order to start rounding up homeless.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

I was very sad when google maps started pronouncing that word correctly.

Turn right on Butt house road.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Canasta_Nasty posted:

lol gently caress

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mendocino county made indoor masks mandatory again August 10th, and most people I see have sighed and followed suit. A few employees are wearing them under their chins and hastily grabbing them if a customer comes, but you don't get into the stores without a mask.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jetz0r posted:

I'm a pizza guy and there's a few customers who keep saying I don't have to wear masks around them and it's annoying because it's a county health code requirement, I'm gonna do it no matter what, until they say otherwise. (at least, around customers- I'm around my coworkers too long and in too close of quarters for masks to matter)

anyway some annoying customer who never tips tried to give me the 'we're outside, why are you masked, isn't it uncomfortable' and I just told them I had COVID a month ago and they absolutely freaked out, jumped a few steps back and tried to make sure I didn't make the pizza (I did, but didn't tell them that). felt really good lol, that's what you get for being so persistently annoying.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm a pizza guy and there's a few customers who keep saying I don't have to wear masks around them and it's annoying because it's a county health code requirement, I'm gonna do it no matter what, until they say otherwise. (at least, around customers- I'm around my coworkers too long and in too close of quarters for masks to matter)

anyway some annoying customer who never tips tried to give me the 'we're outside, why are you masked, isn't it uncomfortable' and I just told them I had COVID a month ago and they absolutely freaked out, jumped a few steps back and tried to make sure I didn't make the pizza (I did, but didn't tell them that). felt really good lol, that's what you get for being so persistently annoying.

With rare exceptions, people around San Jose seem to be having no issues with the current mask order (indoors except when eating). The only odd thing I've seen is a few times is parents with a child too young to be vaccinated in the grocery store and the parent is wearing a mask and the child isn't. I'd say about half of the people I see out and about are wearing masks outside as well.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I get this poo poo all the time. Part of my job is going to people's homes. I don't care that you're vaccinated and I'm vaccinated or that we're outside. I'm in contact with enough people that me wearing a mask makes me feel better about not passing on any respiratory illnesses, including covid. I used to try to explain it to people but now I just tell people it's company policy and I can't go into the office for 2 weeks if I don't comply. It's just easier that way.

Edit: and I get it, I don't want to wear the mask and you don't want to wear it in your own home and don't want to police masks, but drat

Xenix fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 7, 2021

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The people that are personally affronted by the fact that other people are wearing masks are beyond help. I kinda see how someone might not want to wear masks themselves, but why the hell do they care what other people do? The only possible effect it can have on them is to benefit them... The crazy thing about a lot of these people is they claim elsewhere to be libertarians.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I see you are wearing shoes citizen, did you know you are radically free and need not be bound by footwear hmmm? HMMMM?

I do enjoy a bunch of false everymen complain about wearing basic PPE for all of 5 minutes. It's me, voice of the people, who has never worked with my hands. This cloth chokes me!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So bay area health officials have been under increasing pressure to end the indoor mask mandate, or at a minimum provide a timetable for when it could feasibly happen. Surprise surprise politicians have decided COVID is over and are mad the people who actually handle public health don't agree. Anyway the local health officials came out today with their criteria for ending the mandate:

quote:

All of the following:
  • The jurisdiction reaches the moderate (yellow) COVID-19 transmission tier, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), and remains there for at least three weeks

• COVID-19 hospitalizations in the jurisdiction are low and stable, in the judgment of the health officer

• 80% of the jurisdiction's total population is fully vaccinated with two doses of Pfizer or Moderna or one dose of Johnson & Johnson (booster doses not considered)

OR
  • Eight weeks have passed since a COVID-19 vaccine has been authorized for emergency use by federal and state authorities for 5- to 11-year-olds

Also apparently SF is breaking from the coordinated Bay Area health program and relaxing some indoor mask requirements starting next Friday:
https://twitter.com/LondonBreed/status/1446143571581550598

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

gently caress you london