Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Nd6+ doesn't work because rook can take. I think it's -

Nb6+ Kd8
Qxc7+ Ke8
Rb8+ Rd8
Qxd8#

If rook takes it’s mate after Qxc7#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Nb6+ Kd8
Qxc7+ Ke8
Rb8+ Rd8
Qxd8#

Rook can't take or else Qxc7#

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maugrim posted:

Nb6+ Kd8
Qxc7+ Ke8
Rb8+ Rd8
Qxd8#

Rook can't take because

Nd6+ Rxd6
Qxc7#

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i win at bullet posting

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

i win at bullet posting

This is why I play 10min posting!!!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So there's a few ways this can go.

What I calculated and what computer thought was best was
1. Nb6 Kxb7 (takes Rook)
2. Nd6 (discovered check by the other Rook so Knight can't be taken) into 3 different legal moves:

- If Kc8, then Qxc7
- If Ka7, Ka7, or Ka8, then Qa2, take the Rook when it blocks on Ra4
- If Rb4, then you do your own Rb4, and continue with either of the two above options depending on where the King moves.

fisting by many said Nb6 then Kd7 but that's not legal because the Knight covers d7.

What happened in the game was actually a relief compared to what I calculated:
1. Nb6 Kd8
2. Qxc7 Ke8
3. Qe7

Spent a whole minute in a 3 minute game on this. I was like "Everything's a check right?? I'm not hanging mate right????!! There's no other legal moves right??"

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

1. Nd6 not Nb6 :) That leaves 1. ...Kd8 as another option, but a bad one as 2. Qxc7#

I might be wrong and missed a way for black to escape, it was hard to track all the moving parts.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

fisting by many posted:

1. Nd6 not Nb6 :) That leaves 1. ...Kd8 as another option, but a bad one as 2. Qxc7#

I might be wrong and missed a way for black to escape, it was hard to track all the moving parts.

Oh my bad! Completely misread your first move and assumed everyone did the same one I did. No wonder when I was doing the line I was like "Huh? Nothing about this line makes sense." Turns out I no read good.

So I actually didn't calculate Nb6 AT ALL in the match but according to Analysis you got it in this one with no ways to stop it too:

fisting by many posted:

"Circling the drain"

1.Nd6+ Kd7 (c pawn is pinned!)
2. Qxc7+ Ke6
3. Qe7+ Kd5
4. R1b5+ Kc6
5. Qc7#

I definitely wouldn't feel confident about a forced mate that long!

Only the last move the computer is like "Rc7 instead of Qc7 man, that's cooler." I always feel like the computer keeps doing this. "Yeah man, you got that checkmate with the Queen, but we can do it in the same number of moves with a final pawn move instead."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i know poo poo happens in chess games but i am very amused at black’s little f7-h7 pawn shield while the king is chilling out on the c file

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

My Blitz rating is ~1200. I have a theory that up until quite a high rating, like 1600 maybe even higher almost all that counts is blunder density. I'm probably making ~3 blunders a game Like 0.5 blunders a game without good opening knowledge or positional play (never mind the stuff like color complexes or "middle game plans" which I only know as words), must be worth 1600. Although probably it doesn't matter anyway because who's going to learn like that.

Also I thought blunder_density was a good name, so I made a new lichess account. I'm playing against higher rated players than I would normally and there are plenty of blunders here. I'm doing pretty well, only 6 games played, but 4.5/6 and current rating of 1682? :toot: (I'm sure it will come back down arround 1200 before I loose that question mark though).

So in conclusion: if you want a quick rating increase, make a new account lol

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
oh there's a whole 'nother page

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Remember when we discussed pawn vs queen?
Have a photo of a classic intro to chess book:

On the previous page, Tarasch explains how to draw pawn vs queen in the right circumstance. Page 46(left) explains how to prevent that draw if the pawn is a rank too late.
Afterwards page 47 explains more advanced topics:
"The hardest piece to move is the knight. It is the piece that looks like a horse's head. It is called "S", and moves like so:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Dirty Frank posted:

My Blitz rating is ~1200. I have a theory that up until quite a high rating, like 1600 maybe even higher almost all that counts is blunder density. I'm probably making ~3 blunders a game Like 0.5 blunders a game without good opening knowledge or positional play (never mind the stuff like color complexes or "middle game plans" which I only know as words), must be worth 1600. Although probably it doesn't matter anyway because who's going to learn like that.

All lichess games are archived and downloadable. When I get some free time, I might whip up a script to calculate some blunder density statistics.

For the record, in the most recent blitz game I personally played (roughly 1000 vs. 1000), between us we managed to hang multiple pieces, fail to capture multiple hung pieces, and finally stalemate a comically lopsided (king and two queens vs. king) endgame. Sadly I was on the "king" end of that, but hey, I didn't lose. (Also, never resign.)

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
This sacrifice sequence was fake as hell, but it was bullet where I am in the ~1000 ELO range so it worked anyway.

https://lichess.org/fgqqfnDe/black#33

I probably should stop playing Bullet tbh. I don't like not having time to think about what I'm doing--it really makes it uncomfortable to play against openings I'm not familiar with (which is most of them).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Bullet is fun for playing unsound gambits and bringing your Queen out early and pawn storming the kingside. All of my favorite bullet games involve me being down, like two pieces and a pawn and still finding mate — often with a Bishop, Queen, and a pawn on h6/h3.

I play the stafford gambit so much that I am profoundly irritated when someone doesn’t take the pawn

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You know how those lichess puzzles get extracted from real games?

Toady I learned about what the opening explorer calls "french defence: normal variation"
https://lichess.org/training/5kgCH

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

VictualSquid posted:

You know how those lichess puzzles get extracted from real games?

Toady I learned about what the opening explorer calls "french defence: normal variation"
https://lichess.org/training/5kgCH

"Le Bongcloud"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Maugrim posted:

"Le Bongcloud"
black thought they were playing white and vice versa

that gives me a fun idea for a chess variant - swap the legal moves of king and queen but mating the king is still the objective

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

better yet, let the king move as a knight :twisted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:gonk:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Fried liver has almost pulled me back up to 650. Building habits has been great. I am still godawful and hang too many things but, improvement looks like it is coming.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

BUG JUG posted:

Fried liver has almost pulled me back up to 650. Building habits has been great. I am still godawful and hang too many things but, improvement looks like it is coming.

I think this has been said, but at 650, openings are worthless. I would spend all my time doing tactics puzzles and reviewing my games. Possibly pick up Sierawan's tactics book. Being able to say (one move in advance) "ah, a pin!" or more often for me "oh crap, he could fork me" is worth its weight in gold.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

At 650 it's not even tactics. It's just taking hanging pieces

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Are spite timeouts a thing? Started an under-1400s tournament and reached this position with one of my opponents whereupon they vanished. Games are 5 days per move and they have half an hour left.

I mean I'll take the W but I was having fun trying to work out how to extract my queen after ... Ke7 Qxh8 Ne8 - I believe it's doable but there's a lot of lines to think through.

E: should maybe post the image, duh

E2: they actually timed out on all their games so I guess they just quit playing

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 19, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Maugrim posted:

Are spite timeouts a thing? Started an under-1400s tournament and reached this position with one of my opponents whereupon they vanished. Games are 5 days per move and they have half an hour left.

I mean I'll take the W but I was having fun trying to work out how to extract my queen after ... Ke7 Qxh8 Ne8 - I believe it's doable but there's a lot of lines to think through.

E: should maybe post the image, duh

E2: they actually timed out on all their games so I guess they just quit playing

Why wouldn't black just do ...Qd8 and not lose their rook?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm kinda surprised the evaluation is only +2.8, but who knows maybe their internet died when they kicked their modem in disappointment.

edit: oops I had the white king on the wrong square its +6.3

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Powered Descent posted:

Why wouldn't black just do ...Qd8 and not lose their rook?

Because then they quickly lose the b7 and b5 pawns for no gain, whereas letting me grab their other rook could potentially lead to them winning my queen (or whatever pieces I had to sacrifice to free her). I was trying to evaluate whether the queen trap line worked out better for them in the end.

E: Probably dumb of me to even consider it - the engine thinks Ke7 is just a straight-up blunder and Qd8 is indeed the right move

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 19, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

To reiterate the kinds of things you should be looking to for improvement at a low level, here's the Stockfish evaluation of my last game. I'm white (1001) vs black (1027), in 5+3 blitz.

The first evaluation jump on move 2 is black hanging a pawn. The big jump on move 12, just after the middle game, is black allowing "enemy pawn moves forward one space, forking a knight and a bishop". The comical jump down (from mate-in-two to -1.2) just before the endgame is me failing to see that his bishop move exposed my queen to discovered attack that would have let him capture the queen at the cost of a rook. The comical jump immediately back up is him also failing to see that discovered attack.

It's not exactly deep nuances of positional play or the latest grandmaster's deviation 12 moves deep in the Ruy Lopez. It's just whoever sticks their finger in the electric socket the fewest times.

e: Helps to include the image:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Maugrim posted:

Because then they quickly lose the b7 and b5 pawns for no gain, whereas letting me grab their other rook could potentially lead to them winning my queen (or whatever pieces I had to sacrifice to free her). I was trying to evaluate whether the queen trap line worked out better for them in the end.

E: Probably dumb of me to even consider it - the engine thinks Ke7 is just a straight-up blunder and Qd8 is indeed the right move

Why wouldn't black answer Qxb7 with b4? Only one lost pawn and even then not really as b7 was only decoration.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 20, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

fisting by many posted:

Why wouldn't black answer Qxb7 with b4? Only one lost pawn and even then not really as b7 was only decoration.

Black’s already down an exchange in that position, and has no obvious counterplay.

That said, after Qd8, it’s probably more precise to trade queens, take the pawn on b5, and finish your development.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's just whoever sticks their finger in the electric socket the fewest times.

Yep, it's not the first blunder that'll kill you, but the subsequent one the first one tilts you into.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
We were discussing Annex Chess Club in Toronto a while ago and they have just announced they are reopening for casual play at the old Bathurst Street location:

http://annexchessclub.com/2021/10/acc-reopening-october-25/

For others in the thread who were chess club regulars pre-COVID, what are things like with your club?

I don't plan to go back to a club setting until my whole immediate family can be fully vaccinated or until the case numbers get very, very low...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

fisting by many posted:

Mmm true. I think I did see that at the time. I'd probably still have gone Qxb7 if the trade was offered, which I guess is why I'm only a 1200 :)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
very pleased with myself this morning for finding a mate in 6 two moves after an 'oh no my rook' incident

Solution 19. ..Qxe7 20. Qxa8 dxe3 21. fxe3? Nd3+ 22. Bxd3 Qxe3+ 23. Kf1 Qxd3+ 24. Kg1 Be3#

The line if my opponent played perfectly after the first fxe3 blunder would have been 21... Nd3+ 22. Kd1 Qxe3 23. Kc2 Nb4+ 24. axb4 Bf5+ 25. Qe4 Bxe4+ 26. Kd1 Qd2#

yes i am still only 700 why do you ask

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 22, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nowadays, I can see what I think the computer would like, but I don't have the skill or reading ability (or nerves) to follow up on it. Like this position:

I was just staring at it for a while, and then I was like, I bet the computer wants to sac the knight on B4 and then we check with the Bishop. I'm not sure what it wants after that, probably throw my rooks into the pawn to threaten the Queen, enemy Bishop taking back be damned. And all this was correct, except for the part where the enemy Bishop takes my Rook, computer was like "Too dangerous, let it live and bring the Queen to the King to protect instead."

I didn't play that move, or any move, because of a work call so I resigned early there. But still! Computers are scary.

Doccykins posted:

very pleased with myself this morning for finding a mate in 6 two moves after an 'oh no my rook' incident

Yo nice! I always have trouble with multiple move checkmate sequences, glad you found this :)

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 22, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Are there any good free databases of chess games similar to what you'd get with an advanced chessbase subscription? This book I have references a game but has a notation error so I can't follow along and I'm looking for the actual game (Vukovic vs Urban 2000 apparently.) Doesn't show up in chessgames.com or lichess.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Booyah- posted:

Are there any good free databases of chess games similar to what you'd get with an advanced chessbase subscription? This book I have references a game but has a notation error so I can't follow along and I'm looking for the actual game (Vukovic vs Urban 2000 apparently.) Doesn't show up in chessgames.com or lichess.

Try http://caissabase.co.uk/?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's not exactly deep nuances of positional play or the latest grandmaster's deviation 12 moves deep in the Ruy Lopez. It's just whoever sticks their finger in the electric socket the fewest times.

Grishuk's advice for new chess players: "Don't blunder"

If you systemise the habit of always analysing every check and capture and don't blunder forks or hang your pieces, just that alone can probably get you to 2000 rating in blitz and rapid. No joke. Just staying solid as gently caress and pouncing on the inevitable mistake your opponent makes is maybe not the flashiest way to play, but it's certainly extremely effective.

(I do not do this, I am only 1400, I blunder all the goddamn time)

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 25, 2021

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
While that's true I feel like the really simple blunders fall off well before you reach 2000. So "don't blunder" really just ends up being "git gud at tactics".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks! I didn't find the particular game in there but was looking for exactly this type of thing.