Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
https://twitter.com/ByScottPowers/status/1453064057309876230

A little late, guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/MarkLazerus/status/1453069685575008258

"I was just the GM, not my problem"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Quenneville's head really, really should roll :sigh:

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1453070432756719620?t=7JVs6vCQ5xQjMpYW9SjOiw&s=19

Welp, have fun with that one, Panthers

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Well the NHL has done...something: https://twitter.com/BenPopeCST/status/1453070850966626310?s=20

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Donald Fehr (and likely higher-ups at USA Hockey) also appears to have known about this since shortly after it happened.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

St. Dogbert posted:

Frankly, the owners paying a settlement and a couple of people quitting before they're fired doesn't feel like enough.

The NHL needs to make an example here and ensure the penalties are heavy enough that no team ever chances a cover-up like this again. I would immediately and permanently ban each and every individual who worked in the Blackhawks' hockey operations division from ever working in hockey again. Additionally, I would extend that ban to every player on that team as well, but throw the still-active ones a bone and allow them to finish their playing careers first; however, I would be very clear that if this ever happens again in the NHL, that franchise's players would not be so lucky.

I have a sinking feeling the NHL doesnt want to do that precisely because it will set such a big example and the last thing they want is people digging further into the leagues history around these kinds of situations. Especially after that story that came out of Pittsburgh last week about the staffers wife being assaulted. :smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

A fine of 0.06 Seth Joneses, that'll teach 'em a lesson they won't soon forget

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A rounding error on the owners tax return.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
They should also be taking away draft picks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That "we don't have time for distractions" bullshit from Q is the same card Urban Meyer pulled when Zach Smith was abusing his wife at Ohio State.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Furnaceface posted:

I have a sinking feeling the NHL doesnt want to do that precisely because it will set such a big example and the last thing they want is people digging further into the leagues history around these kinds of situations. Especially after that story that came out of Pittsburgh last week about the staffers wife being assaulted. :smith:

You mean the one covered up by Team USA AGM Bill Guerin? (Team USA is probably in for a lot of poo poo now.)

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koth posted:

Bowman already doled out that punishment before he hosed off, to be fair

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mage_Boy posted:

You mean the one covered up by Team USA AGM Bill Guerin? (Team USA is probably in for a lot of poo poo now.)

Isnt Bowman part of Team USA too?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Furnaceface posted:

Isnt Bowman part of Team USA too?

Yeah, he's the GM. In Guerin's case at least there is already an announced investigation ongoing.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Koth posted:

Nah this is serious but it’s not secretly testing some draft kids serious.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Some points of interest from the Jenner and Block report:

-At the meeting mentioned, John McDonough (then President) stated that he would handle the investigation, but didn't do anything or report the accusations to the HR department for three weeks.

-Nobody present at the meeting made any attempt to follow up on that statement, even years later when it was made clear no reasonable actions were taken.

-During those three weeks, Brad Aldrich was allowed to travel with the team and take part in Stanley Cup celebrations, and made an unwanted advance on a 22 year old intern which was not reported at the time.

-McDonough said that they didn't want any negative press during the playoffs. Quenneville was worried about "team chemistry" and apparently gave no credence to the accusations.

-After McDonough (finally) reported the accusation to the the HR department, Aldrich was allowed to resign.

-There is no evidence that any sort of investigation was carried out by the Blackhawks' HR department until the civil case was filed. This directly contradicts statements from the Blackhawks' organization made earlier this year.

-Multiple parties interviewed stated that Kevin Cheveldayoff and Joel Quenneville were present at the meeting discussing the allegations, directly contradicting public statements that they had no knowledge of said allegations until this year.

-Blackhawks' executives (Marie Sutera was named prominently) refused to co-operate with a police probe in to the allegations carried out in 2013.

-Jenner and Block were given access to any and all records, information and personnel they wanted when investigating and compiling the report. However, a significant amount of information/evidence had been lost in the intervening years as the Blackhawks' organization had a policy of deleting email archives of former employees after a certain amount of time.

-Jenner and Block state that there is no evidence that ownership or the current CEO had any knowledge of the accusations until this year.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Aisle424/status/1453074539605336075

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1453070539761852426

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Relegate the entire team to the ECHL until everyone that was on the team at that time has either retired or been put in jail.

Also make them change the logo and team name before they can come back.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eric the Mauve posted:

A fine of 0.06 Seth Joneses, that'll teach 'em a lesson they won't soon forget

Seth Jones is the fine.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
doesn't seem great https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1453090348230758402?s=20

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wife sent me a screencap saying Coach Q's Moustache, a Blackhawks shitposter, has quit because he's so disguested.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1453084342213873670

You can say Andrew Shaw, it's okay

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lifetime ban for any person involved. Also the Wirtz should be forced to sell the team. This is as bad (if not worse) than the Donald Sterling stuff.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/laurkelly24/status/1453073311320182788?s=20

Seriously remove these players from the league and strike their names off the Cup

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/1453105190471716867

Surely, if Gary Bettman fails to relieve Coach Q of his station at this meeting, I can definitely expect Panthers' owner Vincent "Trump's Nominee for Secretary of Defense" Viola to do so.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stan Bowman Steps Down From USA Hockey's Men's Olympic Team

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
NHL needs to launch an investigation into every organization to root all this out. At this point, I would be completely surprised if Chicago is the only team that has swept poo poo under the rug. This is just like Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, US Women’s Gymnastics, etc.

It’s so obvious to me that all these abuse scandals that have come out the past 20 years ever since the Catholic Church was exposed in Boston indicate that positions in big powerful organizations are the most powerful means for abuse from evil people, and that the abuse is much more ubiquitous than we’d ever have feared.

If an organization doesn’t have an extremely robust program to combat this poo poo from the top down they are negligent, complacent, enablers of this abuse. This motherfucker was allowed to resign and then went to teach high school hockey and then, unsurprisingly, raped another kid before being caught and sent to prison.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well a bunch of Capitals players probably raped a 17-year-old girl back in 1990 and while it was well before my time, my understanding is that their solution was to get rid of nearly every player involved and never speak of it again.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

eXXon posted:

Well a bunch of Capitals players probably raped a 17-year-old girl back in 1990 and while it was well before my time, my understanding is that their solution was to get rid of nearly every player involved and never speak of it again.

Yeah time to make sure those people never get to work in hockey again in any capacity.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

eXXon posted:

Was that Scott Stevens

E: Stevens, Ciccarelli, Courtnall, and Sheehy

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 26, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Levitate posted:

Was that Scott Stevens

Dino Ciccarelli, Scott Stevens, Geoff Courtnall and Neil Sheahy, plus Nick Kypreos came by with a bucket of fried chicken, whistled innocently and left. That's not a joke.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

A $2M fine is a joke.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

eXXon posted:

Dino Ciccarelli, Scott Stevens, Geoff Courtnall and Neil Sheahy, plus Nick Kypreos came by with a bucket of fried chicken, whistled innocently and left. That's not a joke.

Some classic old boys are always involved in these lol

quote:

“We’re trying to put this behind us,” Capital General Manager Dave Poile said. “No charges were filed, but a lot of people were hurt by it. Dino has had to face this alone. He lives here and was around all summer. He’s taken the heat and I can’t say enough about the way he has responded. This is just another test for him. He just wants to get back to being Dino Ciccarelli, hockey player

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

eXXon posted:

Ciccarelli was a disgusting human being. He got busted for going outside nude and jerking off to his neighbor. Can't fathom all the terrible poo poo that pervert got away with.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The actual allegations from that are horrific, but I’m gonna comment on two other things from the Washington post article about that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1990/05/18/capital-says-he-witnessed-a-struggle/6f73d4e0-9788-4437-947e-b41563265112/

quote:

Another Capitals player, right wing Steve Leach, has told investigators that he has dated the 17-year-old girl and that the girl called him later Saturday morning to tell him about the events inside the limousine, law enforcement sources said.

Nbd, just dating a 17 year old.

quote:

At some point in the evening, Mayo said that she woke up to realize that a different Capitals player -- Sheehy -- was having sex with her, she told police. Mayo told him to get off of her, but he refused and acted in a hostile way, according to a source's description of the account that Mayo gave police.

And it wasn’t even the only rape of the evening (Mayo being a friend of the 17 year old who went to the same bar that night).

Hockey culture is horrible and always has been.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ah of course, savvy veteran stan bowman deciding to roll with The Joe Paterno

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Didnt both Doug Gilmour and Mike Ribeiro rape their kids babysitters too?

Why am I only remembering all this awful stuff now? Has the NHL just been really good at burying these things or have there been so many incidents that Ive just gotten numb to it? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm really not sure about the structure at that point, was his superior Scotty?