Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/nhlflyers/status/1464343488342933514?s=21

Joel Farabee just killed a man, my lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Marchand's refusal to accept Panarin's challenge of pistols at dawn is cowardice of the highest order.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno if it's a byproduct of their weird schedule so far but it feels like the Bruins are gonna be a wild card at best this year or even miss the playoffs. Boston's strength used to be depth but this year Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, and McAvoy are carrying the team and it's very obvious. Hall and Coyle have been pretty good too actually, but the rest of the forwards are basically invisible. Defense is nothing special after McAvoy. Goaltending has been ok for what it is (a rookie and a guy who used to play for the Sabres) but they're not going to steal games for the Bruins. I hope Rask comes back in January like they're saying he might.

Rask is totally coming back as soon as someone gets LTIR'd so there's enough cap space to pay him for the playoff run.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/primordials0und/status/1464131556977557504?s=21

One of you in RAS needs that as your av

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That’s seven

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1464360697027088387?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk posted:

The Flyers have a rough schedule coming up and I expect them to be second or third from the bottom. The rest of November looks like this:

@ Caps
vs Leafs
@ Canes
@ Stars
vs Flames
vs Lightning
vs Bruins
@ Lightning
@ Panthers
vs Canes
@ Devils
vs Isles

It's early but five games are in the division and at least a couple are key games against teams who would be wildcard slots if the season ended today. I could see them going 4-8 or worse in that stretch and be close to buried by the end of the month. I don't have a good enough pulse yet on what the team really is but they can't afford to be streaky again with too much good competition.

Wow, surprise, looks like I'm gonna be right

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

loving fire Paul Maurice already how is this so loving complicated jesus christ I hate this loving sport

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Not Important posted:

Marchand's refusal to accept Panarin's challenge of pistols at dawn is cowardice of the highest order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlSvf0c9Gn4

"Ah say, ah say suh, ah challenge you to a Duel. Now, please return to me, my dueling glove that I threw into your domain."

...or whatever that is in Russian since Bread allegedly was given home-study English lessons and played PS4 instead.

I just hope he was the protagonist here because a) it's already easy to hate Marchand and b) I really don't want to hate Bread.

e- Glove SLAP...he don't take CRAP!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 27, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think it's time to say goodbye to AV, imo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Easy to say when it's not your 20 million dollars

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

snide retort

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

I think it's time to say goodbye to AV, imo

He’s every bit as obsessed with a lovely 4th line as Hakstol was. It’s loving incredible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hakstol for AV the trade is one for one, who says no

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

He’s every bit as obsessed with a lovely 4th line as Hakstol was. It’s loving incredible.

the vigneault-tanner glass romance may be dead but its spirit lingers on

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I can't remember the last time I saw that many turnovers in such a short period of time in a game, that was a pathetic game

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Honest question: when I did a cursory look in a few random games for Seattle I was extremely surprised at some of the time on ice splits from Hakstol. A quick comparison to opposition and zone starts seemed to correlate very strongly with specific match ups Hakstol seemed to be extremely preoccupied with. This seemed to be extremely to his teams own detriment and something I would like to investigate further, but looking into the goalie stuff is still a primary thing I wanted to work through.

From reputation and vague memory I recall AV loved to roll 4 lines and outside of specific situations (and I haven't looked either tbh) it was more a rolling the lines thing and not really a game state or match up thing.

As sort of an add on to this Sullivan *loves* to absolutely bury one of his lines and D pairing in the defensive zone then give everyone else as many offensive zone and over matches he can. ZAR/Blueger/McGinn appear to be providing those positive outcomes despite being shelled that Sully wants from that line. Additionally, Sullivan really loves having a 4th line that can provide offensive zone time as well as some offense and if they're a net positive forcing penalties from the opposition it's basically perfect for him. Just interesting little nuance and weird little wrinkles between coaches.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Kaprizov has two 4-point games in his last five, and in that time, has 3 goals and 11 points.

This is impressive, until you remember McDavid and Draisaitl have been doing it for over a season now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AV : Nate Thompson :: Dave Hakstol : Chris VanDeVelde

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1464387271852019718

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Powershift posted:

snide retort

empty quote

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Honest question: when I did a cursory look in a few random games for Seattle I was extremely surprised at some of the time on ice splits from Hakstol. A quick comparison to opposition and zone starts seemed to correlate very strongly with specific match ups Hakstol seemed to be extremely preoccupied with. This seemed to be extremely to his teams own detriment and something I would like to investigate further, but looking into the goalie stuff is still a primary thing I wanted to work through.

From reputation and vague memory I recall AV loved to roll 4 lines and outside of specific situations (and I haven't looked either tbh) it was more a rolling the lines thing and not really a game state or match up thing.

As sort of an add on to this Sullivan *loves* to absolutely bury one of his lines and D pairing in the defensive zone then give everyone else as many offensive zone and over matches he can. ZAR/Blueger/McGinn appear to be providing those positive outcomes despite being shelled that Sully wants from that line. Additionally, Sullivan really loves having a 4th line that can provide offensive zone time as well as some offense and if they're a net positive forcing penalties from the opposition it's basically perfect for him. Just interesting little nuance and weird little wrinkles between coaches.

what's strange is that AV was one of the early proponents of this (i think good) strategy. he used Malhotra in Vancouver and Dom Moore in NY to very effectively take d zone draws, win face offs, then skate the puck up and get an o zone draw or some offensive possession time.

yeah lol Malhotra had a 25-75 and a nutty 13-87 ozone-dzone split in Vancouver. the second number has to be a record. moore was 22-78, 20-80, and 18-82 with AV in New York

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
ovi with the hatty lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In case anyone cares, the Coyotes are out of last place in the league, replaced by the Senators.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ovechkin got hit in the face with a puck and said gently caress this poo poo, I’m scoring a hatty.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Ov missing the empty net for a 4 spot by doing a giant fake wind up and getting stripped was sad, wanted to see him blast that finger and dare someone to block it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maybe Sullivan is more extreme about it but this is coaching orthodoxy isn't it? Broadcasters have been talking about the importance of a tough defensive third line that can take all the defensive zone faceoffs and go up against the best opposing line since the days of Thorne and Clement, at least.

The thing about having a 4th line that can drive play and score a little bit is definitely unusual though and was key to the Crosby Pens' first Cup as well as the latter two, actually. But most coaches still think the 4th line is for ~grinders~

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe Sullivan is more extreme about it but this is coaching orthodoxy isn't it? Broadcasters have been talking about the importance of a tough defensive third line that can take all the defensive zone faceoffs and go up against the best opposing line since the days of Thorne and Clement, at least.

The thing about having a 4th line that can drive play and score a little bit is definitely unusual though and was key to the Crosby Pens' first Cup as well as the latter two, actually. But most coaches still think the 4th line is for ~grinders~

Torts' fourth line the year Columbus had the 16-game winning streak was usually a combination of Scott Hartnell, Sam Gagner, Josh Anderson, and William Karlsson. Gagner had 50 points.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
My general 'feel' is Sullivan against certain teams and lines he definitely matches differently with his defensive group, but on the whole that more classical suppression/defense first line. The AV observation is extremely similar to what Sullivan wants as well. What might differentiate is Sullivan definitely seems to like specific players for that role/mold and how he wants them to execute.

It is incredibly cliche in that Sully wants bigger bodies that are good along the boards and can skate with a bit of skill, but if they get a good clean exit he definitely wants that line to get to work in the offensive zone and if they can get a good cycle going will look to put Sid or Jake or Geno or when he was there Phil on to hopefully get lost in coverage and come right down the pipe to hammer something home or make a great pass to a very wide open anyone to put in. This is also a huge part of how Sullivan utilizes his 4th line as well. Gives them o zone or neutral zone starts then wants them to go generate offensive zone time. If that goes to plan Sullivan will look to jump specific players on to try and take advantage of both the mismatch and fatigue. When Mike has the players to execute and achieve this is when the Penguins have looked exceptional.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1464305927238995972?s=21

Healthy scratching a goalie owns, this should fix his terrible glove hand and positioning

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1464404461389033479

It would be exciting to see someone pick him up. I want more chaos. No idea who would want him/have the cap space.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1464404461389033479

It would be exciting to see someone pick him up. I want more chaos. No idea who would want him/have the cap space.
0 chance

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Lol let's fuggin go Seattle!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lol let's fuggin go Seattle!

What did Murray do to deserve that :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

AV : Nate Thompson :: Dave Hakstol : Chris VanDeVelde

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1464387271852019718

This is triggering.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

He’s definitely getting bought out after this year. Can’t see Euge paying 7/8m a year for him. This was entirely foreseeable when the deal was announced too. Like, throwing away a 2nd to get him and see if he can regain his form? Questionable, but I can see the logic. Immediately signing him to a 25m deal before he plays a game for you? What the hell.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

What did Murray do to deserve that :(

His .892 in Ottawa is an upgrade lol :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

30 years from now Matt Murray is going to not be remembered at all, he'll be the most random fuckin' dude like "Yeah, it was awesome when MAF won those back to back Cups with the Penguins, wait what, 'Matt Murray', who the gently caress was that"

Lots of people including some in PAS wanted him to get the Smythe in '17 too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

30 years from now Matt Murray is going to not be remembered at all, he'll be the most random fuckin' dude like "Yeah, it was awesome when MAF won those back to back Cups with the Penguins, wait what, 'Matt Murray', who the gently caress was that"

He burned twice as bright as Cam Ward, therefore he had to burn out twice as fast

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I’m also not quite sure why they’re waiving him. He’s clearly Ottawa’s second best goalie, after Gustavsson. Forsberg has been even worse than Murray this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1464391684167540737?s=20

:corsair: