Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Gorson posted:

Looking for a naval sim. I like realistic distances, speeds, and gunnery so probably not something like World of Warships. I got Silent Hunter 3 working with the GWX3 mod but it's still janky and doesn't like higher resolutions. I don't own Silent Hunter V and it's an option but LORD IN HEAVEN I do not want to go through this process to get it working right if it's not worth it:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

Cold Waters can be a lot of fun, though it's tough until you know what you're doing. There are loads of instructional vids on YT if you get stuck. It ought to scratch that itch until Sea Power eventually comes out. Crush Depth is still in early pre-alpha but has a demo on Steam and is absurdly, psychotically realistic. Wolfpack is also in EA and might be worth a look, but I don't know much about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Magnetic North posted:

Are there any arcade-y racers and/or vehicular combat games on Steam that goons recommend? (besides Mad Max, which I tried and it was pretty okay) None of the classic series got on there except the lovely Burnout.

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Wreckfest is the latest and goodest Flatout basically

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Magnetic North posted:

Are there any arcade-y racers and/or vehicular combat games on Steam that goons recommend? (besides Mad Max, which I tried and it was pretty okay) None of the classic series got on there except the lovely Burnout.

I've played:
Flatout 1
Mad Max
Crossout

Art of Rally is a beautiful and relaxing arcade racer.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Naramyth posted:

My wife likes the Nancy Drew point and click puzzle games. What else is out there that’s that style of casual game without being weirdo anime stuff? Bonus points if there is a Mac version.

What if you could have weirdo stuff that's not anime? Puzzle Agent 1 and 2 are real good.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Thanks folks! Wife games.txt has been created

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Naramyth posted:

My wife likes the Nancy Drew point and click puzzle games. What else is out there that’s that style of casual game without being weirdo anime stuff? Bonus points if there is a Mac version.

There's an entire genre of games like that. Perhaps browse Adventure Gamer's top 100? I have played a ton of point-and-clicks, but I have not played Nancy Drew, so I would have a hard time recommending a game precisely like that. I would assume that she might enjoy something along the lines of Gabriel Knight, Syberia, The Longest Journey, Broken Sword, Unavowed, Kathy Rain, etc.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

grate deceiver posted:

Wreckfest is the latest and goodest Flatout basically

I've had it and Beamng.drive on the wishlist for a while, but never pulled the trigger since I wasn't sure about the actual game part.

It says it has 'Partial Controller Support' and I'm hoping to play with a controller. Do you have any insight into what it may or may not do?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Magnetic North posted:

I've had it and Beamng.drive on the wishlist for a while, but never pulled the trigger since I wasn't sure about the actual game part.

It says it has 'Partial Controller Support' and I'm hoping to play with a controller. Do you have any insight into what it may or may not do?

Wreckfest plays fine on steam at least with the x-input controller I used. I am assuming there is some kind of "full controller support" it just doesn't qualify for, like using a full steering wheel setup or something. If what you want is a successor to the old Demolition Derby games from the late 90s, Wreckfest is that game and it's the only game I can think of that really goes full force into that idea today. The first event in the game is basically bumper cars where you try to knock people off of their riding lawnmower using your own riding lawnmower. It has multiplayer, but don't expect to find matches with other players.

Naramyth posted:

I'm not super familiar with the Nancy Drew style of "point and click puzzle" game, but I would assume it is a "point and click adventure" game of some kind, and those go way way back. Basically, these run a spectrum of style from more narratively driven puzzles where you are trying to overcome a barrier such as getting an important NPC to talk to you, or bypassing some other narrative lock, to just having a series of puzzles to solve that are more or less irrelevant to the actual story. Earlier adventure games had a lot of puzzles that stretched lateral thinking to the point that the solutions to puzzles may as well be irrelevant to the narrative, like gathering tubes of lipstick to be used as machinegun ammunition in Runaway, or feeding cheetos to an iguana in Monkey Island, but newer adventure games in that style have been better about it. Newer games that simply give you puzzles to solve regardless of their connection to the story are exemplified by the Professor Layton series.

If what you're looking for is a game that runs on Mac that has an overarching narrative, but is overall more casual and with independent puzzles, and not weirdo anime stuff, then my recommendation would be Puzzle Agent. https://store.steampowered.com/app/31270/Puzzle_Agent/ It is currently 50 cents on Steam.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pipski posted:

Cold Waters can be a lot of fun, though it's tough until you know what you're doing. There are loads of instructional vids on YT if you get stuck. It ought to scratch that itch until Sea Power eventually comes out. Crush Depth is still in early pre-alpha but has a demo on Steam and is absurdly, psychotically realistic. Wolfpack is also in EA and might be worth a look, but I don't know much about that one.

Thanks! Been looking at Cold Waters too but I think I might wait for Sea Powers. Crush Depth and Wolfpack look promising, but future development seems iffy.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Wreckfest is perfectly fine with a controller, I haven't run into any issues.

Beamng last I checked was still kind of a make your own fun sandbox, there wasn't an actual game to it, but maybe they added something recently.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Any recommendations for games like Nioh 1/2?

Specifically - I'm in the mood for something (preferably an Adventure/RPG) with absurd systems on systems on systems.

Things like this that I enjoyed:
  • Nioh 1/2
  • Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  • Infinity Engine RPGs and their modern -alikes (although I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
  • Good Immersive Sims (I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
Things like this I didn't enjoy:
  • Path of Exile
  • Crusader Kings/Stellaris/Grand Strategy in general
  • Thigs that are complicated because they aren't explained (looking at you, Deadly Premonition, Hellpoint, etc)

Complex system games I've liked but don't really fit the bill as actiony/rpg: Dwarf Fortress, Qud, Eve online.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

There was this jrpg with absurd gun kata acrobatics, gun crafting and a weird tile-laying system on the world map, someone help me out with a name?

Also, Persona games? Front Mission?

I think Japanese games in general tend to have a lot more layered mechanics and weird gameplay ideas

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It's a bit of a stretch, but Lucah: Born of a Dream is a strange surreal action-adventure game with a bunch of interlocking mechanics in combat. It's got parries, dodges, charged attacks, a ranged option that recharges on melee hits, a bunch of different options for equipment and added effects, probably a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting about. It's good! The graphics may be tough to get past though.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

grate deceiver posted:

There was this jrpg with absurd gun kata acrobatics, gun crafting and a weird tile-laying system on the world map, someone help me out with a name?

Also, Persona games? Front Mission?

I think Japanese games in general tend to have a lot more layered mechanics and weird gameplay ideas

Good call, there's an ocean of JRPGs out there I havent really dug into!

e: was it Resonance of Fate?

Yup - has to be, that's way too specific. Just took a while to find the gameplay trailer. FWIW that game is what comes up if you start googling things like "games with absurd systems" or something to that effect, so it rang a bell :v:

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 25, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

UltraShame posted:

Good call, there's an ocean of JRPGs out there I havent really dug into!

e: was it Resonance of Fate?

Yup - has to be, that's way too specific. Just took a while to find the gameplay trailer. FWIW that game is what comes up if you start googling things like "games with absurd systems" or something to that effect, so it rang a bell :v:

That's the one, yeah. Took me a while to figure out how to even play, the battle system is really unlike any other jrpg.

If you manage to find it, Last Remnant is also pretty good. It's been delisted from steam, but there might be some keys floating around still? Or you know, filez

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Oh, and you might also try the wuxia/cultivation genre for some absolutely insane mechanics.

Try Amazing Cultivator Simulator, a game about raising god-killing gokus with the power of Feng Shui.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does anyone know of any wuxia/xianxia action combat games with an ok translation? Kind of feel like running around doing some silly sword mage shennanigans

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is there anything out there that plays like that old starcraft2 arcade map called nexus wars? Where you make buildings that spawn units that automatically go down a lane and fight the enemy units? I'm trying to search for these and turning up lots of extremely low budget offerings, long dead multiplayer only games, or games that just aren't what I'm looking for.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

J posted:

Is there anything out there that plays like that old starcraft2 arcade map called nexus wars? Where you make buildings that spawn units that automatically go down a lane and fight the enemy units? I'm trying to search for these and turning up lots of extremely low budget offerings, long dead multiplayer only games, or games that just aren't what I'm looking for.

Total Annihilation isn’t exactly that, but it feels close.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

J posted:

How important is it that units are spawned from buildings you place?

Legion TD2 is kind of like this, but kind of not. I posted about it to other day but then I downloaded it and played some to refresh myself on how it works.

There are two teams. Each player has a field that they fill up with units purchased by Gold. Waves of creeps spawn and march toward your team's King, stopping to fight your units on the way. You earn gold from defeating the creeps which you use to purchase new units or upgrade existing ones, and your units respawn and heal between waves.

If your units wipe to the enemy wave, that wave proceeds toward your king and any surviving units your teammates have get a chance to fight them before they finally do battle with the king. The goal is to kill the enemy team's king. To assist you with this, you spend some of your gold on Workers, which earn mana over time. Each player is matched up (throughout the entire match) against one specific player on the enemy team, and you spend your mana to spawn special creeps to assault your opponent along with the next wave. So you build up your defenses against enemy creeps and you study your assigned opponent's defenses to determine what kind of creeps will be most effective to send and on what waves they'll be most effective. Enemy has low AoE damage? Send a healing creep along with the slime wave, where each slime splits into multiple slimes when it dies and watch them get swarmed. They have super high single target damage? Send a huge swarm of weak distractions on a wave with squishy, high-damage creeps.

It's multiplayer-only but active (matchmaking takes me less than a minute) and I've had fun with it whenever I've played, which is admittedly not a whole lot (~11 hours total) :shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

UltraShame posted:

Specifically - I'm in the mood for something (preferably an Adventure/RPG) with absurd systems on systems on systems.

• Nioh 1/2
  • Infinity Engine RPGs and their modern -alikes (although I'm pretty sure I've played all of these)
  • Path of Exile
  • Thigs that are complicated because they aren't explained (looking at you, Deadly Premonition, Hellpoint, etc)

Complex system games I've liked but don't really fit the bill as actiony/rpg: Dwarf Fortress, Qud, Eve online.

Heat Signature is a great systemic immersive sim.

As someone mentioned before, Resonance of Fate is great too.

Siralim is a party building SMT-like that goes absolutely bonkers with its systems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

UltraShame posted:

Troubleshooter, Disgaea

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

J posted:

I think the Kingdom series of games might have something a little like that in principle at least. A hands-off RTS where you build buildings and have to hope your AI soldiers can do what you need done, although it's side-scrolling and you still control one non-combatant character on a horse.

Other than that, all I can think of is maybe Black and White 2?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

J posted:

There's a game that I wouldn't recommend directly, but might be a foot in the door conceptually for some kind of rabbit hole for you to pursue. There is an old game called Majesty, along with a sequel, Majesty 2, that is still available on Steam and it's been ported to mobile platforms. Back when it was originally released, its gimmick was enough to justify making a game, and that gimmick is that rather than control units directly, you had AI-controlled units come to your town and use the facilities that you constructed, and they'd pursue bounties that you set. They'd complete the bounties (or die trying) and then spend the money in your town to buy upgrades, and go do some more. You could influence the units, but you weren't in direct control of them, and that was neat. If I had to compare it to something else, I'd actually say that Tropico has more of its DNA than anything else I can think of. I'd like to see another Majesty, but I haven't seen one, but maybe you could be the guy to find it. I dunno, it's the closest thing I could think of that isn't just some bullshit dime-a-dozen tower defense game.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

J posted:

Majesty.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah Majesty was what came to mind for me as well, although the play is slightly more active than what you’re describing. You’re paying to recruit units which are autonomous, and most of the game is figuring out the right combo of units, upgrades, and spell support that will get them to do whatever your objective for that level is without being able to directly control them.

If anyone reading this hasn’t played this and likes RTSs or city builders, get Majesty HD. It’s a great time and should be cheap. Highly recommended.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

UltraShame posted:

• Nioh 1/2
  • Path of Exile

https://store.steampowered.com/app/924070/Arboria/
Left Early Access this year and currently on sale for $15

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256850798/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1631190210

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256781663/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1586875850

It's a roguelite Nioh that's set in a surreal post-post-apocalyptic sci-fi underground troll society somewhat reminiscent of Caves of Qud (with a very different tone). I had a blast playing through it for ~50 hours recently, it sort of becomes a slog in NG+ with enemy HP inflation but everything up to the first victory was a blast.

There are some very cool things about it, like every weapon type having gimmicks that go beyond "a different moveset", metaprogression that feels a lot like the Nioh gear grind, and it constantly unlocks new mechanics for you right up to the end of NG.

My only real complaint outside of the HP inflation in NG+/++ is that it's a little too easy to target a specific build, which is done through collection and (slightly) tedious rerolling of mods. It's time spent just in the inventory clicking buttons and once I got a feel for it, it stopped me from experimenting with different builds. That's not necessarily a downside for everyone but it was for me, because I like when roguelikes/lites force me into using builds I wouldn't otherwise. But the builds you can target are interesting in ways that I don't usually see in these kinds of games (there are several consumable-focused builds for example) and all of the tools you get to attack with (spells and weapons) are creative, unique, and fun. Giant arm-mounted power drills, offensive-oriented teleport spells, whips, telekinesis that lets you ragdoll enemies around at a whim, polearms that grow larger with every attack until they are gigantic tree trunk-sized wrecking balls, a multi-form weapon that switches between sword and axe, etc.

The metaprogression consists of reviving a troll village with ~16 NPCs, each one unlocks an entirely new customization mechanic for you - one lets you craft and upgrade weapons between runs, another for magic, another for your troll's stats, then you start unlocking new equipment slots like masks that drastically change the way your character operates, pets, consumable customization, a kitchen to order food at Monster Hunter style, etc. As someone who loves games that stack systems on systems, Arboria kept me happily surprised all the way through. Each system individually is fairly simple but there are enough of them that there was always something new to engage with.

Enemy design is great and each new biome cranks up the difficulty without relying on enemy stat padding - usually by making them behave in ways that avoid any 'easy' tricks you learned in the last biome. It's hard to explain, but they're all cleverly designed in a way where they teach you how to fight them and then when you get to the next new kind of enemy, they teach you why what the last enemy taught you won't work against them. You actually need to learn each enemy type instead of just swinging blindly through everything. They never felt unfair or cheap but no matter how comfortable I got I was always wary of new enemies until I was finished learning from them, which is exactly the way it should be.

It has an art style that can best be described as "messy jank" but the game itself isn't nearly as janky as it appears and it ends up looking fine in the context of itself.

Oh, also there is a weird NPC troll that leans awkwardly hard into the "Trolls are Jamaican stoners" trope, e.g. your healing item is literally a bong (sorry, a "bongo") that can be customized with different elements and an NPC you meet in the dungeon that refills it for you has dreads and wears a tam and speaks in a thick Jamaican accent, and he's very annoying. But overall they did a good job of making each troll different, they each have a different accent and it doesn't present the entire troll society as Jamaican, just the stoner that refills your Healing Bongo. That might not actually be "better" but the devs are Polish and it ends up feeling more tone-deaf than offensive. I found it excusable because that stuff is a very small part of the game, 99% of your time is spent crawling through dungeons by yourself. But it definitely has a weird irreverent vibe to it all (it opens with a cinematic of a drunk troll pissing on a wall, your troll is 'birthed' from a weird messy womb-like pod thing each time you start a new run, all of the villager trolls are crude) and it could rub some people the wrong way. But It's a game that deserves a lot more exposure than it has.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 26, 2021

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I'm after a good open world fps/rpg. I'm longing for something like RDR2 - great story and characters, fun gameplay and an immersive world. I'm not a fary cry fan, so can't think of anything that exists like that out there. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

deep dish peat moss posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/924070/Arboria/
Left Early Access this year and currently on sale for $15
That looks cool as hell, thanks. Price is right, too!

& thanks to the other suggestions up-thread, got Heat Sig, Resonance of Fate, and Troubleshooter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

toggle posted:

I'm after a good open world fps/rpg. I'm longing for something like RDR2 - great story and characters, fun gameplay and an immersive world. I'm not a fary cry fan, so can't think of anything that exists like that out there. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Prey, free today on EGS

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

toggle posted:

Like RDR2? Closest thing to the immersive elements of that game is probably Death Stranding, but it won't be the same style of story. If you've got a PS4, maybe you'd be a fan of The Last of Us or God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Prey, free today on EGS

Oh yes! Grabbing it now thanks.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Like RDR2? Closest thing to the immersive elements of that game is probably Death Stranding, but it won't be the same style of story. If you've got a PS4, maybe you'd be a fan of The Last of Us or God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn?

PC, so might grab Zero Dawn now that it's 50% off. Thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn is remarkable for starting out with a premise that is patently absurd and ends with you nodding your head and going "well of COURSE there had to be robot dinosaurs."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Very happy for there to be another thread where its relevant to say "gently caress Ted Faro"

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

toggle posted:

I’m sure you have already played Witcher 3 but if for reason you have not, get it ASAP

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Any good couch co-op games for Xbox One?

Missus and I finished Diablo 3 and are about to finish It Takes Two.

She gets motion sick very easily so FPS won't work, but third person should be fine. I'd also like to avoid games where a partner dying means they're out until a checkpoint reached/level finished.

Couple of titles I've already pitched that she wasn't interested in.

Stardew Valley
Minecraft
Spelunkey
Castle Crashers
Portal 2
Terraria

Thanks for everyone's help!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!

User/post combo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Scott Pilgrim
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Octodad
A Way Out
Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Donkringel posted:

overcooked