Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

big boi posted:

He already sucks a bunch, so he might as well suck in a funny way and do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1479949320753496075

Man, Ime could be right about everything, but he sure seems like he doesn't have the banked up coins to be doing this publicly

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

Man, Ime could be right about everything, but he sure seems like he doesn't have the banked up coins to be doing this publicly

I mean, would you want to coach this team either? How longs his contract for?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1479991677255311360?t=ps7hfp-WdtEnWPyIPh9smQ&s=19

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Demarcus is going to end up playing for the whole league

Dexo posted:

They should respect him for his honesty but you know they're getting their little weak feelings hurt

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dejan Bimble posted:

Demarcus is going to end up playing for the whole league

They should respect him for his honesty but you know they're getting their little weak feelings hurt

Feeling better after today I bet.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

big boi posted:

Do you think he's able to convince Kyrie to get vaxxed?

maybe, maybe not. but he is bothered and absolutely being a jellyfish about it. kyrie is a dumbass and if his friend can't tell him so, then they deserve to have wasted their time in brooklyn

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1479974514062671874

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dexo posted:

It's clear this is a total teardown coaching effort. Brad Stevens simply did not build a winning culture in the locker room

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It'll be on a thousand times in the next 24 hours but if you catch the Klay interview on NBA TV it's pretty good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

YES

Y E S

YYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

xbilkis posted:

It's clear this is a total teardown coaching effort. Brad Stevens simply did not build a winning culture in the locker room

Like his counterpart, Stevens will be best known for a second place finish in the Midwest that everyone treats like a victory because the true winner was hated. Also for being an administrative failure in an organization propped up by racists.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also for being a sycophant to a frail pedophile, although that one might be a bit of a stretch I’ll admit.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

a new study bible! posted:

Also for being a sycophant to a frail pedophile, although that one might be a bit of a stretch I’ll admit.

Please don't disrespect Lucky like this.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
the Celtics won’t find peace until isiah Thomas officiates a gay wedding in the garden

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Please don't disrespect Lucky like this.

god. I forgot about that.

loving Big Baby willing to die for Lucky's honor.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
They rallied back and crushed the Knicks tonight, Jaylen had a his first career triple double, everything is cool and OK, lalala *earmuffs*

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
There is a belief around the league that Atlanta is more likely to trade Cam Reddish than to sign him to an extension, per Brian Windhorst

This rumor is driving pistons fans crazy, driving them into spasms of Jerami for Cam trade proposals

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Cam fits Detroit's timeline better but he's so inconsistent. I guess Jerami Grant is too but usually when he has a bad game he still gets to his PPG which is important. When Cam has a bad game he puts almost nothing in the point column. Grant's defense is better too although Cam may be the better defender in a year or two. I guess Cam is significantly cheaper to pay.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

skipmyseashells posted:

the Celtics won’t find peace until isiah Thomas officiates a gay wedding in the garden

"The wedding party, based on the environment and the camaraderie that happened in that ceremony, it was the best harmony. [...] Would Isiah have made a different feeling on that team? Yes.”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Khris Middleton's reaction is everything

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I think Cam fits Detroit's timeline better but he's so inconsistent. I guess Jerami Grant is too but usually when he has a bad game he still gets to his PPG which is important. When Cam has a bad game he puts almost nothing in the point column. Grant's defense is better too although Cam may be the better defender in a year or two. I guess Cam is significantly cheaper to pay.

, I just don’t see the hype. Jeremi Grant is already a three level scorer (if not efficient as a first option), and a good defender if he doesn’t have to be the first option. Cameron is just hoping to be some thing like Jeremi Grant at some point in the future, but he’s already up for an extension

To me that’s just a gift to the Hawks, who need a consistent compliment And secondary action guy to play with Trae Young

Tell me cam has been a disappointment since Duke. Is his rep coasting on his high school hype?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

, I just don’t see the hype. Jeremi Grant is already a three level scorer (if not efficient as a first option), and a good defender if he doesn’t have to be the first option. Cameron is just hoping to be some thing like Jeremi Grant at some point in the future, but he’s already up for an extension

To me that’s just a gift to the Hawks, who need a consistent compliment And secondary action guy to play with Trae Young

Tell me cam has been a disappointment since Duke. Is his rep coasting on his high school hype?

That's another good point. Detroit really shouldn't be trying to help Atlanta solve their problems at the moment, they should be trying to figure out how to claw over them.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Grant seems like a real leader on the team, someone who actually enjoys being in Detroit, and is fun as hell to watch. loving rare, in this poster's opinion. If the argument is timeline, why not trade Grant for something in a different position and focus on growing Diallo and Jackson more?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
No matter what happens in 2022 if we get a Miami vs Bull ECF, Lowry vs Demar, I will die happy

Looking at BBall reference I think theres an argument to make now that Demar is having a better career than Vince Carter. Advance stats wise he is more efficient than Vince ever was.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 9, 2022

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

There is a belief around the league that Atlanta is more likely to trade Cam Reddish than to sign him to an extension, per Brian Windhorst

This rumor is driving pistons fans crazy, driving them into spasms of Jerami for Cam trade proposals

i’m no NBA Insider but it sure seems like atlanta had a hard time keeping its young players happy

it could just be that reddish and collins are both incredible divas but i doubt it

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
vince carter played defense.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

dokmo posted:

vince carter played defense.

Vince's most productive year

code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos  G   MP  PER  TS% 3PAr  FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV%  USG% OWS DWS  WS   WS/48 OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
2005-06    29 NJN NBA  SG 79 2906 21.6 .536 .242 .396  5.4 13.4  9.3 24.4  1.7  1.5 10.7  32.3 4.9 4.4 9.3    .153  4.5  0.5 5.1  5.2
Demar on the Bulls

code:

Season    Age  Tm  Lg Pos  G   MP  PER  TS% 3PAr  FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV%  USG% OWS DWS  WS   WS/48 OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
2021-22    32 CHI NBA  PF 33 1160 23.0 .579 .109 .405  2.4 13.4  7.9 22.2  1.2  0.8  8.6  31.3 3.2 1.0 4.2    .176  3.0 -0.9 2.1  1.2

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

that’s nice but vince carter played defense

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Demar plays defense he's just not great at it ;)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Demar plays defense he's just not great at it ;)

this year is very strange. derozan's defense was always in the group of worst defensive rotation players. every season. i'm not sure what is happening this year and why he's been effective but this is almost certainly a mirage. he's a lovely defender, has always been a very very lovely defender.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I wonder if Detroit is really looking to offload Jerami for spare parts. Jerami left a loaded Nuggets team and joined Detroit specifically in a S&T:

quote:

Aside from inking a fresh $60 million contract, Grant also bared that his decision was bigger than basketball. He decided to take his talents to Motor City to play under head coach Dwayne Casey and general manager Troy Weaver since both are African Americans.

https://clutchpoints.com/pistons-news-jerami-grants-real-reason-for-leaving-nuggets-to-sign-with-detroit/amp/

I don’t think he’s untouchable, but he’s a solid guy on a good contract who actually wants to be there, presumably

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think Vince was pretty weak defensively but peaked in a era that emphasized big man defense and where guard defense and 3pt defense weren't as important to team defense.

I also think Vince is overrated generally because of our nostalgia for cool dunks

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Billy Donovan is a good coach.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Billy Donovan made last year's roster a roster that started

Rookie Pat Will, Zach Lavine, Vuc, Lauri, and Coby White

Into a top 12 defense somehow.

Defense is all about system and buy in. And DeMar seemingly has bought in.

My guess is in the Playoffs he's going to get attacked more, but generally he's been able to hide on the worst offensive player while Lonzo/Caruso/Green/DJJ/Ayo/Lavine take the threats.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

Defense is all about system and buy in. And DeMar seemingly has bought in.

I don't know. This implies that Dwayne Casey and Jay Triano couldn't get DeRozan to buy in. Seems unlikely to me.

e but more seriously, even Poppovich couldn't get him to care about defense, which was shocking.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Maybe he simply got better?

Like he will still get welped like 3-4 times a game but also he's just being put in positions that generally hide his deficiencies.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They may also be the first team to totally give up on him and say “ok you suck at defense and we’re just going to hide you” and maybe that works for him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd say DeRozan can hide better with a good defensive front court and Lonzo able to defend 1-3 but I'd also think you need to hide LaVine so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm not some genius basketball scout or analyst or anything, but it really just seems like he's generally in the rightish position and when he does get beat doesn't foul. The help defense is able to cover for him.