Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
this is derozan's 13th season. no one has figured out how to hide him before? he has suddenly started giving poo poo at age 32? all explanations strike me as extremely unlikely. yet he is very clearly effective this season in a way he has never been before. i am befuddled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I'd say DeRozan can hide better with a good defensive front court and Lonzo able to defend 1-3 but I'd also think you need to hide LaVine so I dunno.

Zach is actually good at defense to be fair.

Maybe good is strong, but he is not a liability.

He was never really bad at on-ball defense and this year has been pretty good at staying engaged on help defense, and has been navigating screens extremely well.

Like with Caruso out, Zach guarded Bradley Beal and the closing minutes of their games. They don't really have to hide Zach on defense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dokmo posted:

this is derozan's 13th season. no one has figured out how to hide him before? he has suddenly started giving poo poo at age 32? all explanations strike me as extremely unlikely. yet he is very clearly effective this season in a way he has never been before. i am befuddled.

:shrug: I'm not going to lie. I didn't watch many regular season Raptors and definitely not Spurs games.

Maybe something finally clicked and it's 13th year. Who knows. But he's been all right defensively. Fully expecting him to get exposed in the playoffs a bit but cross that bridge when we come to it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/nuggetsnews/status/1480202804287488008

i am really glad Jeff Green has managed to create a solid journeyman career after a health scare, but i'm having trouble believing anyone told him to his face that he wouldn't make it five years. why would anybody do that. do these players hire shittalkers to get them amped up about overcoming fake adversity? because i would take that job.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

dokmo posted:

It remains a not normal year in the NBA. There are many quirky, unprecedented things going on. While some will prove to be real in the long term, most of it them are artefacts of roster and scheduling chaos. Teams are not planning and preparing for games the same way as in years past. Which is particularly notable for DeRozan:

Dexo posted:

Fully expecting him to get exposed in the playoffs a bit but cross that bridge when we come to it.

DeRozan worked to improve his (by modern standards quirky) game every year with the Raptors. It worked. He continuously improved. That improvement was real but it gets forgotten because of how the playoffs went. When facing the same team over and over, a team that had time to plan and prepare for him and his unusual game, they could counter it.

It's a shame, in the DeRozan works hard and has showed he knows how to improve. If he had the opportunity play more against teams who were prepared for him, it would probably be real good for him. He could figure out how to counter the plans they made against him. Maybe this will be the year.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

derozan improved his game about as much as ben simmons has lol what are you talking about. he has every weakness he had for his entire raptors run, weaknesses he never improved even slightly on. just pulling some Grindset Demar out of your rear end'

e: this is a mean post about pre bulls demar i am saving my bulls friendship ball rudeness for if/when the playoff meltdown happens so the bulls bros here can enjoy their time as much as possible and also so the posts are funnier when The Time Comes

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Eh, I'm not expecting the Bulls to actually win anything. They're good and super fun, but they've got nothing for Giannis or the Nets unless the mayor bans Kyrie from the United Center and even the loving Sixers are a nightmare for them because they cannot defend Embiid. I'm just enjoying them being relevant.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Slightly off topic. I hadn't listened to anything from Bill Simmons in years. Today in my twitter feed, a post with him talking about Cobra Kai comes up. He thinks they should kill off Daniel in season 5. His opinions about pop culture are worse than his basketball opinions.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

i am really glad Jeff Green has managed to create a solid journeyman career after a health scare, but i'm having trouble believing anyone told him to his face that he wouldn't make it five years. why would anybody do that. do these players hire shittalkers to get them amped up about overcoming fake adversity? because i would take that job.

I wonder this about pro athletes all the time cause a ton of them say poo poo like this. I don't really buy it most of the time, but that said the average NBA player is probably exposed to a loooooot of lovely rear end in a top hat coaches before they make the NBA.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dokmo posted:

One thing worth noting about DeRozan is that he's a big time gym rat, but unlike some guys with that rep he's got a lot of natural athleticism and he seems to never stop wanting to improve.

He's had periods before where his 3 pt shot seemed to be progressing, but I think the difference now is that he has learned from whatever bad habits he slipped back into. With his D, coaching might be a factor? Maybe the Bulls coach is able to communicate in a way Nick Nurse and the other 37 coaches he had in Toronto couldn't.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

leftist heap posted:

I wonder this about pro athletes all the time cause a ton of them say poo poo like this. I don't really buy it most of the time, but that said the average NBA player is probably exposed to a loooooot of lovely rear end in a top hat coaches before they make the NBA.

It's probably more that someone says something that can be interpreted in that way, or they hear it second hand from someone else, that some GM said this about them. Or some GM says, hey if you don't improve or learn how to X you are gonna be out of the league in 3 years or whatever.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Eh, I'm not expecting the Bulls to actually win anything. They're good and super fun, but they've got nothing for Giannis or the Nets unless the mayor bans Kyrie from the United Center and even the loving Sixers are a nightmare for them because they cannot defend Embiid. I'm just enjoying them being relevant.

For what it's worth, the Bulls match up pretty well against the Nets I think, probably could use one more big wing to throw at KD and make him score marginally less efficiently. But both offensively as wing guard/wing defense isn't a strength of the Nets, and defensively they can throw Caruso and Ball at Kyrie and Harden, and they don't have to worry about some big man making Vooch look silly.

I fear what Giannis is about to do to the Bulls when they play tho. And Yeah, Embiid is a problem for them lol.

Nets are and should be the favorite over the Bulls, but the Bulls have a puncher's chance. Bucks and Sixers are just terrible matchups.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
jeff green had an aortic aneurysm surgically repaired, so yeah alot of teams probably told him he would unlikely be playing in 5 years lol

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Was a Saturday night game against a good team but it was still real nice to see a packed house in Charlotte last night — and for a lot of games this year. Been a bummer for nearly 20 years to see even good squads play in front of empty seats, but if the fans weren’t showing up for this team of all teams I’d say go ahead and move them.

https://twitter.com/hornetsonbally/status/1479994994786193409?s=21

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Based on how Jeff Green played the previous game, I’m guessing he was told this by The Rim and now holds a lifelong grudge

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

runaway pancake posted:

jeff green had an aortic aneurysm surgically repaired, so yeah alot of teams probably told him he would unlikely be playing in 5 years lol

i don't think so. why would they tell him that, what does anyone have to gain? if green's reps were tying to get him signed on to some team, and that team didn't like his health chances, they would just not respond, or say we're waiting on a bigger deal, or say their roster was full, or say they're saving their minutes for their young guys. there are a thousand responses a team could say that would not insult green and his reps. they would not say gently caress you, that doesn't make any sense.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dokmo posted:

i don't think so. why would they tell him that, what does anyone have to gain? if green's reps were tying to get him signed on to some team, and that team didn't like his health chances, they would just not respond, or say we're waiting on a bigger deal, or say their roster was full, or say they're saving their minutes for their young guys. there are a thousand responses a team could say that would not insult green and his reps. they would not say gently caress you, that doesn't make any sense.

This is a league where a GM had burner accounts designed specifically to poo poo on his star players, you are looking it far too logically

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like you don't think a GM or someone might get a few too many drinks in them, and say some poo poo to someone, that might somehow make it back to the player.

Even if it's not that.

I don't think a GM is like calling Green up and calling him damaged goods who will never play again.

But they can say as much with out saying it if you know what I mean.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

dokmo posted:

I think part of it is that Caruso and Lonzo have been miracle workers in terms of covering for other people's fuckups

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I think part of it is that Caruso and Lonzo have been miracle workers in terms of covering for other people's fuckups

Yeah, It's lucky the Bulls have figured out their offense, wrt Vooch, and Coby, when Lonzo and Caruso went out.

Because their Defense has been not great in this run, but they've just been a complete juggernaut offensively.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Based on how Jeff Green played the previous game, I’m guessing he was told this by The Rim and now holds a lifelong grudge

Lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1480259982826164226?t=wnf2R8FCZNV8ZKL8I61Btg&s=19

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Money23Green/status/1480112288426180608

lmao why is Draymond subtweeting Ayo

lmao who cares what someone is wearing.

https://twitter.com/IlliniMBB/status/1479517667442765844

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Deeeetroit basketBollllll

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Bol Bol finally free

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Givenchy has been around for 70 years! It's not like he's wearing some obscure brand no one knows lmao.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I doubt GMs were calling up Green and being like "lol u gunna die" but I'm guessing as his agent was shopping for his next deals GMs would say "Yeah, we're not looking for a long term deal due to your health history". In 2016 Orlando signed him for a 1 year, $15m contract which is kinda strange. All 1 years since then (and while Green isn't a star or anything I'd imagine if he didn't have the health thing some teams would have offered him a MLE for 2+TO years-type thing).

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

HELL YEAH! BBALL BOL.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Bol Bol was a player I was super excited for when he arrived, but he has some of the worst vibes I’ve ever seen from an NBA player. I think Casey might actually execute him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

E: Whoops I misread that disregard the following

Eh I would not put it past a doctor to say something like “if you don’t get treatment you got five years” and the first part being forgotten. Or maybe he looked up his condition online where they will very much tell you how many years you probably got.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 9, 2022

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

dokmo posted:

none of what you typed matters man, there is no research or evidence supporting elite athletes playing with aorta pathologies

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Draymond loving sucks and is only going to get worse when he and Brad Stevens replace Mark Jackson and JVG.

Remember when he had a big baby tantrum about the Knicks not playing any music at MSG for a game?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

big boi posted:

Draymond loving sucks and is only going to get worse when he and Brad Stevens replace Mark Jackson and JVG.

Remember when he had a big baby tantrum about the Knicks not playing any music at MSG for a game?

That tweet is definitely boomer poo poo, but I enjoy him when he’s on TNT or whatever. He’s said that he tries to genuinely educate people about how basketball works when he’s on TV, and it shows.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah, I don't hate Draymond lol.

But a 20 something wearing a suit and tie at a basketball stadium in Champaign loving Illinois is dumb as hell to expect.

Let the kid stunt.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

old man Draymond sounding like Bron

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kingcobweb posted:

That tweet is definitely boomer poo poo, but I enjoy him when he’s on TNT or whatever. He’s said that he tries to genuinely educate people about how basketball works when he’s on TV, and it shows.

I really like him as a commentator. Obviously I have michigan and msu bias towards him but he seems to want to teach people basketball, which I think makes the whole media world around it better, if people actually understand what's up and aren't locked in on ppg etc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Bol Bol was a player I was super excited for when he arrived, but he has some of the worst vibes I’ve ever seen from an NBA player. I think Casey might actually execute him.

Is he super no effort?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Draymond will be a super good announcer for like 3 years and then he'll be out of touch and turn into an awful one for the next 6 years he has a job. It is the cycle.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
One of the Wolves local writers (and favorite of NBA Agents), Wolfson, had Windhorst on his podcast this week. The two mildly interesting notes is that teams are interested in Okogie (if given away for free, I'd have to assume) and that the Wolves have had multiple discussions with Houston, likely around Wood.

It'd be an... interesting... fit. I'm not totally sure I see it, but the Wolves do need more big depth. Vando is taking great strides this year, but he can absolutely be played off the floor and I don't love the idea of him starting in the play-in tournament. Also reiterated that the Wolves have offered every permutation of players and picks that aren't Ant and KAT for Simmons, though I'm wondering if DLo has played his way into staying now.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm starting to realize that 80% of the reason the NBA threads are so good here is that MV was prolific, really smart, and passionate about ball.

Look how lazy our posting has become in his absence.

Is it because we're all old and washed, or is it because there's no inspirational leader

drat
we're like the celtics

Come back MV, or step up someone else and become a genius ball poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They've always wanted to keep D'Lo, they got rid of Rubio because he and D'Lo couldn't really share the court. They just would move him for Simmons. I think they still would even if they are clearly a much better team when D'Lo plays (something like 16-12 with him, 3-8 without).

I like Wood on the Wolves a lot.