Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

drat how many Rs are they up to at this point, did they hit their limit yet??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

(and chicken strips are smaller I swear :v: )

Only assholes and squids will poo poo on you for chicken strips on a street bike. If they concern you that much you can scrub them off by doing circles in a parking lot

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

drat how many Rs are they up to at this point, did they hit their limit yet??

They're grrrrrrreat!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 19, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The version we get in the US doesn't appear to be a wild as the European one. The one we get is claimed ~180bhp whereas the EU is claimed 210+. Obviously 180bhp is still a lot, and power isn't everything, but I don't understand the massive difference? RSV4 and Panigale V4 are both putting down like 190-200 at the wheel. I would assume Euro5 is more restrictive than whatever we have.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Only assholes and squids will poo poo on you for chicken strips on a street bike. If they concern you that much you can scrub them off by doing circles in a parking lot

You bought the whole tire, why don’t you use the whole thing??

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

On the street, “chicken strips” are your safety margin for reacting to things. Riding 10/10 is for the track.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Chicken strips are one thing, those are like, whole chickens

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Toe Rag posted:

The version we get in the US doesn't appear to be a wild as the European one. The one we get is claimed ~180bhp whereas the EU is claimed 210+. Obviously 180bhp is still a lot, and power isn't everything, but I don't understand the massive difference? RSV4 and Panigale V4 are both putting down like 190-200 at the wheel. I would assume Euro5 is more restrictive than whatever we have.

Idk about the current version but the US previous model had a restrictor on the throttle settings so it wouldn't ever be wide open at high revs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Might be a fuel blend thing, most US pump fuel is slightly lower-octane than it is in the EU. It's not a *huge* amount but when you're trying to squeeze 200hp out of a litre(ish) of capacity *and* stick to emissions regulations it might be enough to make them just cool things down a little. ISTR that Australia and New Zealand use US fuel standards too, do they have the lower power versions there as well?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

These things are so pretty, but the dumb bullshit my Scrambler puts me through makes me afraid to own another Ducati.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I thought Scramblers were relatively free of Italian bike bullshit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I thought Scramblers were relatively free of Italian bike bullshit

Scramblers are a fundamentally just a monster, but with a healthy dollop of modern computerized bullshit thrown in, they are unfortunately more Italian than the older bikes. Almost all modern ducatis will be in appalling shape in twenty years because they're virtually unserviceable if you haven't got the dealer tool room.

My ideal air cooled Ducati that isn't a hyper: older 900SS engine, with carbs, in the scrambler chassis.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rode up to the last few bits of snow

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Got up to :siren:65:siren: here in Boulder today so I decided to change the oil and take it out for a short jaunt around town. Really need to give it a good wash next time its nice out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

^ god drat the MT-10 is so cool

It was up into the 50s here but the roads were just too nasty, I wasn't willing to put my bike through that. Looking at the forecast I don't see much hope for a few more weeks :rip:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
A few weeks ago I rode to Mt. Hood.

Today I rode into the Tillamook forest and got rained on a bit.

Apparently I need to be sure I take a picture from a different angle next time I go out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Might be a fuel blend thing, most US pump fuel is slightly lower-octane than it is in the EU.

It's not, the US just use another octane calculation. EU uses Research Octane Number (RON) while the US uses Anti Knock Index (AKI).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Euro standard unleaded is 95 RON, equivalent to 91 Premium in US units, and we don't have similar grades to the US 87 or 89.

Shell V-power is somewhere between 99-102 RON.

As far as I know, the CBR1000 US models are restricted in that they won't allow the throttle to open 100% at high RPM, nothing to do with the fuel, though. People get aftermarket ECUs to use the Euro throttle maps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The no WOT at certain rpm/gears on literbikes is a noise thing afaik.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

My ideal air cooled Ducati that isn't a hyper: older 900SS engine, with carbs, in the scrambler chassis.

IDK if they're any good, but I've always loved the way the Monster S2R 800 looks. I'll buy one at some point.

From the other day:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Oh hey my Scrambler works again.

Had a minor confusion when I realized I'd forgotten to reconnect the rear speed sensor to the battery, because it apparently has its own cables and they got squished while trying to jam the battery into the compartment and out of sight=out of mind. But now everything works and the whole motorcycle is functional.

Y'know. For now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That scramb is very pretty.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Strife posted:

Oh hey my Scrambler works again.

Had a minor confusion when I realized I'd forgotten to reconnect the rear speed sensor to the battery, because it apparently has its own cables and they got squished while trying to jam the battery into the compartment and out of sight=out of mind. But now everything works and the whole motorcycle is functional.

Y'know. For now.

That seat rules.

I'm probably going to cave and get a custom seat made because everything is either "oh, you're 4' tall?" or "you're tall so this seat is going to look like an orthopedic device that's too ugly for nursing homes."

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Good riding weather

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Also decent riding weather, though it was a bit chilly in the morning on the way there :v:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Sick bike dude, I don't think I've seen a Ninja that nice before.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Thanks! Got fairly lucky with the used market last year, a mostly new bike that went through two owners fast enough they didn't ding it up or dick around with it mechanically. That's all up to me now!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Had a great ride today with my Vanvan 200 and a friend on his XT250, my first time in over a decade back in the foothill switchbacks behind Santa Barbara / Los Padres forest. Vanvan got wet for the first time riding through 6" of water, and then I found the contents of my topcase were experiencing the same from a poorly closed water bottle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Busy season onslaught continues but I managed to sneak away right at 5 to run up Mt Lemmon on a weekday when snowbirds aren’t making GBS threads up the road

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I LOVED that drive and I’m envious you got to do it on a bike. Pictures don’t even remotely do the sunsets out there justice.

Thanks for the memreeez.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Best sunsets in the biz! Let me know if you find yourself back this way.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Beautiful! That's on my list to hit up someday, the ride down from Phoenix is just a couple hours. That road looks really fun:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those gold wheels are :kiss:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

How loud is that M4? I've been eyeing one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How loud is that M4? I've been eyeing one.

Without baffle it's very loud, easily over 100db. With it in it's loud but not ear splitting, I think ~8 db less with the baffle in? Granted, the one I had was on a GSXR 750 but probably very similar.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Right. This would be for my GSXR 600 and yeah, definitely with baffle. They have a 'stage 3' baffle, (or something like that) which is even more quiet.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

65 degrees out today, I wish I could start every riding season with weather like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Right. This would be for my GSXR 600 and yeah, definitely with baffle. They have a 'stage 3' baffle, (or something like that) which is even more quiet.

Sans baffle it's.. obnoxious. Not quite FLYIN EAGLE loud, but I feel guilty if I run it straight.

As you've said, you can buy different baffles. This system came with 'stage 1', but I was commuting a lot at the time and bought the most restrictive baffle also (pointless, didn't use as it royally kills responsiveness+makes bike silent).

M4 system though, no complaints. Anecdotally, have seen some of the welds on the exh get cracks (this bike also had like 60k km).