Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm quite happy with my mustang (the 2015), I put like two power boosting parts on it (along with better brakes/transmission/suspension) and I had enough time to go flying off the last corner at seca, slowly make my way out of the gravel, and still take first. You do have to be real careful with the throttle, which I assume is the fault of my suspension setup.

"Natural Frequency" or whatever it's called is what used to be spring rate, right? More means stiffer springs and less body roll? As fun as it is to watch every single weight transfer in a replay, it does feel like that's not helping me very much.

Also, what's the difference between the fully customizable manual (semi-racing shop, I think?) and the fully customizable sequential (racing shop, I think)? Does the sequential just shift faster or sound different? I assume the 4k difference means something, but I can't seem to figure out what, the info text doesn't say, and searching for 'gran turismo' and 'manual' just gets a million idiot pages telling you how to change from automatic shifting to manual.

Maybe all of this is actually explained in their webversion of beyond the apex; I'm pretty sure the proper explanations were in the manual in older ones, as opposed to the quick tooltips.

Entirely unrelated: even on ps4p, the screenshots are in 4k; so screenshotting your photos is an acceptable, if not sorta crap, way to export your photos until Kaz realizes he forgot to include an export option.

Probably should crop them after though, and I'm sure uploading to twitter makes them look more crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Played a decent amount over the weekend. Just got my A license and I think I've done almost twenty menus. Have enough money to buy a Ford GT but I don't have anywhere to race it yet. Just been running an ugly orange 370Z with ugly orange wheels and a Camaro ZL1 with a turbo that's honestly uncontrollable on any kind of technical course. But goddamn it's a fun game.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The driving model feels weird in this game. To start, there's countersteer applied on controller even with ASM, TCS, and countersteer off. The best way to see this is the last two turns on Big Willow. FFB on my G29 isn't really there like it is in iRacing or Project Cars 2. I get more information out of the DualSense than I did my with my G29 in GT7.

RWD street cars with >300 HP just don't feel good in this game right now. They are constantly struggling for grip even with TCS 1/2. I'm thinking it's some combination of the street tires being hockey pucks, as well as suspension and aero. I put on the racing softs on a 996 GT3 and it helped this problem but didn't fix it. The only RWD car with power I've had confidence to really push with is the Gr4 Supra.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

CornHolio posted:

Played a decent amount over the weekend. Just got my A license and I think I've done almost twenty menus. Have enough money to buy a Ford GT but I don't have anywhere to race it yet. Just been running an ugly orange 370Z with ugly orange wheels and a Camaro ZL1 with a turbo that's honestly uncontrollable on any kind of technical course. But goddamn it's a fun game.

There's a Ford GT as a prize car, personally I haven't bought any cars doing menus unless I got stuck (the only one I've bought is a pickup truck)

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Got lucky yesterday and found the only steelbook copy in ~250 miles; played a few Cafe menus last night, can't wait to really dig in tonight after work.

Going with a setup where I have my PS5 setup downstairs on my 4K screen, but planning on using the PS4 version upstairs where I have my wheel mounted for when I want to play that way.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there a way to actually save and quit out of GT7? I haven't seen one so I usually just close the game but I keep getting save sync errors.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I don't understand tuning at all.

I'm watching the replays for the top Race B qualifying laps, and these two guys with the same car I have are hitting +20 mph higher than my top speed, and also going from 0-100 faster. My car is at the minimum allowed weight and 294 HP. I have almost all the performance parts purchased, but no amount of tweaking is getting me anywhere close to their results.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Frankston posted:

Is there a way to actually save and quit out of GT7? I haven't seen one so I usually just close the game but I keep getting save sync errors.

I've seen people elsewhere suggest changing cars will save the game, to counter the game crashing if it goes into rest mode or something. But I haven't seen an actual save button or icon anywhere.

Undead Muppet posted:

I'm watching the replays for the top Race B qualifying laps, and these two guys with the same car I have are hitting +20 mph higher than my top speed, and also going from 0-100 faster. My car is at the minimum allowed weight and 294 HP. I have almost all the performance parts purchased, but no amount of tweaking is getting me anywhere close to their results.

Aero maybe? Or possibly just a meticulously set up transmission. And you can probably get better accelleration with a good suspension setup. But I only have a vague idea of how any of that really works, and that was from gt6.

geshp
Jun 20, 2004

my cufflinks fell in the snow and I can't be bothered to pick them up
Is the clean race bonus bugged for anyone else? I keep getting the bonus even with some significant shunts.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Undead Muppet posted:

It's probably your transmission/gearing

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

The driving model feels weird in this game. To start, there's countersteer applied on controller even with ASM, TCS, and countersteer off. The best way to see this is the last two turns on Big Willow. FFB on my G29 isn't really there like it is in iRacing or Project Cars 2. I get more information out of the DualSense than I did my with my G29 in GT7.

RWD street cars with >300 HP just don't feel good in this game right now. They are constantly struggling for grip even with TCS 1/2. I'm thinking it's some combination of the street tires being hockey pucks, as well as suspension and aero. I put on the racing softs on a 996 GT3 and it helped this problem but didn't fix it. The only RWD car with power I've had confidence to really push with is the Gr4 Supra.

Yeah I hope they update the FFB for the G29. The biggest specific disappointment is on the DS, you can feel the concrete seams on Tokyo Highway, and only hear them using the wheel.

Also agreed on the RWD. If you turn on Expert settings they put TCS at 3, and after playing with it and setting it lower I basically have to agree with them. 3 is like having it off in previous games.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I really hope they add Sport races where tuning is disabled and it's more like Daily Race A/B from Sport, I don't want to have to worry if my car is set up the best, especially if I don't have a lot of time, I just want to hop in and have a competitive race.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’ve been running the Mustang with racing softs and ~580hp (NA) and while I feel like it’s drivable it takes a lot of work to keep it under control with the TCS at 0. My biggest gripe is above 1 the TCS just feels so heavy handed it kinda sucks the fun out of it.

I suspect on anything other than the racing softs or with forced induction my experience is probably going to be worse. I’ve also only done street cars with no aero so I don’t know what I’m missing out on with a proper setup. Curious to see if any of this changes or this is just how it’s gonna be.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's probably your transmission/gearing

Hmm. So I looked up a simple guide for this, and was able to knock ~5s off my lap times after a bit of tweaking.

But it also looks like the four R32 drivers in the top 10 just outright cheated. In their replays, their cars are running at 517, 444, 393, and 404 HP, when the max cut-off is 295.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Undead Muppet posted:

Hmm. So I looked up a simple guide for this, and was able to knock ~5s off my lap times after a bit of tweaking.

But it also looks like the four R32 drivers in the top 10 just outright cheated. In their replays, their cars are running at 517, 444, 393, and 404 HP, when the max cut-off is 295.

if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'! Smokey Yunick would be proud.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

415 hp on ss is manageable without tcs in my mustang (except first gear), but I imagine part of this is that I'm still facing easy enough AI that I can take my time and take turns at 1/4 throttle. Still takes a fair bit of concentration.

Incidentally, you can read beyond the apex on the website, and it does have decent explanations for things. Here's the ride height/spring frequency page, for example. It's a fun read, as usual.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Love this game. As a not-expert, my first struggle is book 24 where I need to get a 1-lap qualifying time training for a specific track.

I find the Sport mode stuff weird ... dead last first race. Second one I joined had something like a 127hp max so I stuck parts in my Fit until it hit precisely 127hp. I started the race in the middle of the pack, and ended the race in the middle of the pack. The three leaders though were half a lap ahead of everyone else ... one started in dead last and just powered ahead of everyone on the very first straight-away.

My nit-picks with this game:

I've complained in earlier GT threads, but I really hate the braking/recommended-gear indicator that you can't turn off. It seems less accurate than GT: Sport even. I am getting better at ignoring it though, and I do find my sense of speed and stopping distance easier to gauge in GT7, but perhaps I'm just getting more experienced too. I really wish this indicator (like all other assists) was made optional though. I still find it very distracting at times even when I'm focused on the upcoming turn.

Tiny nitpick, but I wish the aero parts you bought told you the PP difference before you install them. I wish they were explained a bit better too. Buying the customisable spoiler always lowers your rating even after tuning it. You do get a line in the cafe books to adjust it for more downforce on technical courses and less on faster courses. Wish it or any of the tuning options were explained a bit better in game.

I kinda wish weather was indicated before getting into a race, though I noticed doing the same standard race twice in a row, the wet conditions were vastly different. The first time was an utter downpour and I just couldn't get traction on one specific turn. The second go at the same race it rained but the ground was barely wet and the sky wasn't nearly as dark.

Can someone explain to me what the "type B" rear undercarriage thing is on most cars? It looks like a hunk of iron around the exhaust and always seems to give a modest boost to PP. The front version gives a tiny boost, and the side version does nothing.

I like the indicators showing the ins and outs of a turn, but thought how GT: Sport did it with pylons was so much cleaner and obviously "in universe". The big bright yellow GMaps pins are a bit overkill.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The ui is honestly pretty bad. Why there aren't options to turn any element off or on is baffling to me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Can someone explain to me what the "type B" rear undercarriage thing is on most cars? It looks like a hunk of iron around the exhaust and always seems to give a modest boost to PP. The front version gives a tiny boost, and the side version does nothing.

I like the indicators showing the ins and outs of a turn, but thought how GT: Sport did it with pylons was so much cleaner and obviously "in universe". The big bright yellow GMaps pins are a bit overkill.

I haven’t looked at a ton of them but they appear to be diffusers, which help a ton aerodynamically.

I also really really miss the cones as braking and corner markers too. Currently turned off the yellow GMap pins, but hope the orange cone option comes back. It was usually an excellent starting place for braking.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

harperdc posted:

I haven’t looked at a ton of them but they appear to be diffusers, which help a ton aerodynamically.

I also really really miss the cones as braking and corner markers too. Currently turned off the yellow GMap pins, but hope the orange cone option comes back. It was usually an excellent starting place for braking.

The braking indicator cones are an option to toggle on/off! Check the settings in the map/main menu.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just discovered a bit of a footgun. Finished 3/5 of the races in the World GT 800 earlier today, so I put the PS5 to sleep and finished the other 2 this evening. After the final race and the expected screens, the game seemed to stall at a black screen when loading the world map. The top banner appeared, but a spinner perpatually animated in the center of the screen and the rest of the UI didn't load. The Options menu didn't appear when toggled. After a few minutes, I gave up and restarted the game, thinking the game saved my progress after I won the final race.

After relaunching the game, I returned to the world map, found I no longer had the 320k I got from the last 2 races + the championship bonus, with a notice that my championship was resuming from the 4th race.

Great experience, Polyphony :) Definitely encourages me to suspend the game in the future, secure in the knowledge their checkpoint system is sensible.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I don't get what the gently caress they were thinking without letting people see an autosave icon or even manually save. My partner and I share a console and I never know when it's safe to quit the goddamned game. People say switching the current car forces a save so now I make sure I'm not in a championship and then do that before leaving.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

The braking indicator cones are an option to toggle on/off! Check the settings in the map/main menu.

I’m checking that and have gone through all of the menus, nothing about driver aids comes up through those menus. The Online Manual also doesn’t include anything about the cone markers either, I just checked that too.

[Edit] in the pre-race options for Settings -> Assist Settings there’s an option labeled Driving Line Assistance, and it has text that there’s a cones option, but that option doesn’t come up for me. Wonder if that’s a bug (PS4) or not?

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 8, 2022

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

harperdc posted:

I’m checking that and have gone through all of the menus, nothing about driver aids comes up through those menus. The Online Manual also doesn’t include anything about the cone markers either, I just checked that too.

Ah! So right before you start a race there should be three options: Start, Settings and Exit. Under settings you'll see Assist Settings.
There's an option for Braking Area and Brake Indicator... unfortunately neither cones. Lame.

(I'm on the PS5)

Edit:Yeah that's 100% a bug. The sub-text absolutely mentions cone markers but they aren't available to select.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 8, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hopefully it means they're planned for later

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I'm addicted to making my roulette '69 Stingray undrivably fast :getin:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Lol finally got something other than the smallest amount of money from a Roulette and it was the Renault you get from like the second menu, in the same color I already have it in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DevCore posted:

Ah! So right before you start a race there should be three options: Start, Settings and Exit. Under settings you'll see Assist Settings.
There's an option for Braking Area and Brake Indicator... unfortunately neither cones. Lame.

(I'm on the PS5)

Edit:Yeah that's 100% a bug. The sub-text absolutely mentions cone markers but they aren't available to select.

yeah I saw that / mentioned in the edit, it has text scrolling that says cone markers but only gives you the other two options to check/uncheck.

I wonder if "the text still says cones" or "cones are not available" is the bug though :thunk: :negative:

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

isk posted:

Just discovered a bit of a footgun. Finished 3/5 of the races in the World GT 800 earlier today, so I put the PS5 to sleep and finished the other 2 this evening. After the final race and the expected screens, the game seemed to stall at a black screen when loading the world map. The top banner appeared, but a spinner perpatually animated in the center of the screen and the rest of the UI didn't load. The Options menu didn't appear when toggled. After a few minutes, I gave up and restarted the game, thinking the game saved my progress after I won the final race.

After relaunching the game, I returned to the world map, found I no longer had the 320k I got from the last 2 races + the championship bonus, with a notice that my championship was resuming from the 4th race.

Great experience, Polyphony :) Definitely encourages me to suspend the game in the future, secure in the knowledge their checkpoint system is sensible.

I had the same thing happen and lost some license trophies and daily mileage. Paranoid now and go back to the menu after a gold.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have had that issue too with the black screen. Hopefully it will be fixed soon because it has happened a few times and I lost progress due to it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

One last nitpick, since L1 is rearview anyway, I wish R-down let you look around the cockpit more thoroughly.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Wiltsghost posted:

The ui is honestly pretty bad. Why there aren't options to turn any element off or on is baffling to me.

This also drives me nuts. All the garbage at the bottom of the screen is distracting. I wouldn’t mind a tach for cars you can’t easily see the dash for but there’s no individual options it’s either all or nothing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just noticed the music rally mode has a nice polite UI, without the suggested gear indicator even.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
To be honest, I'd like if you could turn off most of the race info, because it's on top of the rear view mirror in most cars. It's not like I would need a list of other racers in singleplayer. Usually I can't see the instruments clearly in cockpit view, so the hud helps me there.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

No option to invert the y axis for looking around. Weird.

Remote play on PS5 straight up doesn’t work. Not allowed to view the content displayed. Super lame.

But fun? Yes.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my goals in life is to eventually get a car that's in a Gran Turismo. 2 Ford Probes, a Ford Contour, a Caddy Deville, and a Nissan Sentra. I have to settle for my wife's Prius.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'd kill a man for a Nissan GT-R

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just got my PS5, set it up and played all evening.

My wife watched a bit of one race and her only question was "how much did this cost?"

I'm going to be in a bad place when I get the wheel stand set up.

On the actual game, I did one music rally while it downloaded, then on the second one I turned all of the assists off or way down and ate poo poo all over the place. It was perfect. So far I'm driving with gyro controls and it's not bad! I think I'll slow roll this early game though until that stand arrives.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
I have a thought about the 'automatic' countersteering when you're playing with a dualshock. It feels a bit like driving a real RWD car on snow or ice. When the rear starts to slip out, steering if a bit lighter towards the slide. I could be wrong, my last FR-car was a Ford Sierra, but it was slippery on studded winter tires even on its last days. But then again, it was about ten years ago. Many of my first cars were soviet built RWD Ladas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

The side skirts don't do much on their own but they are part of a 'complete' aero solution. The idea is first to let as little air under the car as possible, and direct whatever air that does get under there along the underside and out the back in a smooth clean flow. This reduces drag and more importantly reduces lift which can be fatal at high speeds (with high-end bespoke solutions exploiting the Venturi effect to create a vacuum force under the car effectively turning the entire body into one giant wing.)

The front lip/spoiler/splitter splits the air directing most of it upwards over the radiator and intercooler and providing front-end downforce. The air that goes under the body is blocked from leaving out the side of the body by the side skirts, directing it towards the rear diffuser which is designed to help the under car air flow smoothly transition back to the surrounding atmospheric airflow and increasing the overall aerodynamic effect.

For best results, you'll want all three parts and lowered suspension.