Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It's the Mancunian eagle, still used on City's kits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I know a great Hindu symbol they can use, if needed.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Says more about Manchester tbh. Leeds coat of arms is some owls and a sheep, beloved by all

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

the sex ghost posted:

Says more about Manchester tbh. Leeds coat of arms is some owls and a sheep, beloved by all

Owls are nocturnal predators. Problematic!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Not every Eagle...

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

the sex ghost posted:

If I'd just seen that pop up with a big imperial eagle and instructions from the 1958 without reading it I would 100% assume it was some EDL thing lmao

Same thing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/david_ornstein/status/1513928709224476678?s=21

Ornstein usually doesn't blow his load early so I guess it's on?

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
it will be loving hilarious to see erik "the stuttering garden gnome" at united lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
genuinely feels like he's just emerged as the obvious candidate and the footy writers and advanced stats guys are nodding their heads like this is the guy pooshited should have got all along

There's not an option on bet365 for 'vaguely attempt to do some ajaxy things with regard to pathways to the first team for the youngsters, get lumbered with some more marquee signings he'll be obligated to play, 6th at Christmas and sacked' but that's where I'd be putting all my Leeds United ape tokens

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

For what it's worth man utd reddit has been raving about him since Solskjær got the boot. It always seemed like it was between him and pochettino and I for one am extremely glad they didn't go for that trainwreck.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

For what it's worth man utd reddit has been raving about him since Solskjær got the boot. It always seemed like it was between him and pochettino and I for one am extremely glad they didn't go for that trainwreck.

It doesn't matter as he's going to be hamstrung by the Glazers anyway

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Ten Hag is absolutely going to fail at united, but it will be his own fault if he chooses to go there. RB Leipzig are apparently also in for him and that would be a much better fit, and then he could try for united-like clubs after a couple of seasons IF he'd be successful with Leipzig.

He's not even doing that well this year with ajax btw. 4 points ahead of PSV (who are terrible) with 5 games to go.

He has also repeatedly refused to say anything critical about his good friend Overmars, who had to leave the club because he was a sex pest.

Anyway, for him to go to united now will be a disaster for everyone involved... so good for us :D

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yep. This is as predictable a disaster as Mourinho.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Yep. This is as predictable a disaster as Mourinho.

This seems like exactly the opposite of Mourinho? Might be a disaster still, but that's an odd equivalence.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

TheRat posted:

This seems like exactly the opposite of Mourinho? Might be a disaster still, but that's an odd equivalence.

It'll be a very different disaster, but we all called exactly how Jose would go down, and we all know exactly how this will end.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

the sex ghost posted:

genuinely feels like he's just emerged as the obvious candidate and the footy writers and advanced stats guys are nodding their heads like this is the guy pooshited should have got all along

I'm fairly sure all these people had that same reaction to about half of the 600 post-fergie managers united have employed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61029757

I thought this BBC piece on Ten Hag was a nice, balanced take on what he could bring and the problems he could have.

He seems young, full of energy and plays an attacking style. I can think of many obviously worse choices.

What I would "worry" about is that Man-U may be leaning on any new manager to fix issues that can only be fixed by a major reconfiguring of other parts of the club (like scouting/recruitment/transfer negotiations). Ferguson and Wenger were the last of the old school manager who could run everything as a single person and it doesn't look to me, from my ABU eyes, that Man-U has moved enough beyond that old way of doing things.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Marcel Van der Kraan sure seems hung up on his strong accent for some reason.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

nawilo_420 posted:

He has also repeatedly refused to say anything critical about his good friend Overmars, who had to leave the club because he was a sex pest.
He'll fit right in then

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ozmunkeh posted:

I'm fairly sure all these people had that same reaction to about half of the 600 post-fergie managers united have employed.

The two managers that showed any promise in starting a clear out and rebuild (LVG who shouldn't have been fired when he was, and Ole) were destroyed by the press whenever a result went against them

Eric Cantonese posted:

What I would "worry" about is that Man-U may be leaning on any new manager to fix issues that can only be fixed by a major reconfiguring of other parts of the club (like scouting/recruitment/transfer negotiations). Ferguson and Wenger were the last of the old school manager who could run everything as a single person and it doesn't look to me, from my ABU eyes, that Man-U has moved enough beyond that old way of doing things.

It's not that United haven't moved beyond Ferguson's way of doing things, it's that they've put absolute incompetents into the positions that handle those various things.

Richard Arnold has pretty much a free run at making some form of success of Ten Hag's appointment, at least in the first season since the Glazers usually throw money around if the champions league isn't achieved. It's an absolute mountain of a job though to clear out half the squad and not only take care of the absolute lack of midfield recruitment but also replace the piss poor recruitment from previous managerial cycles. There is unquestionably no title run in the next 5 years at least and much is to be done to even be considered the 4th best team in the league.

Supposedly his agreement hinges on him having final say on transfers so I won't believe it until I see him in the dugout because I still half expect the Glazers to say "gently caress that" and pivot to Poch, immediately tossing him to the wolves when this lazy shitshow of a squad refuse to play his style too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 13, 2022

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

He’s 52 I wouldn’t exactly call him young.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's not that United haven't moved beyond Ferguson's way of doing things, it's that they've put absolute incompetents into the positions that handle those various things.

Richard Arnold has pretty much a free run at making some form of success of Ten Hag's appointment, at least in the first season since the Glazers usually throw money around if the champions league isn't achieved. It's an absolute mountain of a job though to clear out half the squad and not only take care of the absolute lack of midfield recruitment but also replace the piss poor recruitment from previous managerial cycles. There is unquestionably no title run in the next 5 years at least and much is to be done to even be considered the 4th best team in the league.

Supposedly his agreement hinges on him having final say on transfers so I won't believe it until I see him in the dugout because I still half expect the Glazers to say "gently caress that" and pivot to Poch, immediately tossing him to the wolves when this lazy shitshow of a squad refuse to play his style too.

That's a fair point, but it takes time to find the right people. Minor improvements in structure and personnel help, but they might not be enough. I know the "Man-U are 90s-00s Liverpool right now," hot take is overdone, but it took a long time for Liverpool to get the necessary people on board. It wasn't like the wrong things were being done or certain people were totally out of their depth, but it didn't gel or people otherwise weren't quite good enough.

To be quite honest, I'm wondering how good certain people are looking right now because Klopp is Klopp and I'm sure something will go tits up after he leaves.

I guess I'm just curious how long it takes for Arnold to find all the right people.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 13, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's a fair point, but it takes time to find the right people. Minor improvements in structure and personnel help, but they might not be enough. I know the "Man-U are 90s-00s Liverpool right now," hot take is overdone, but it took a long time for Liverpool to get the necessary people on board. It wasn't like the wrong things were being done or certain people were totally out of their depth, but it didn't gel or people otherwise weren't quite good enough.

To be quite honest, I'm wondering how good certain people are looking right now because Klopp is Klopp and I'm sure something will go tits up after he leaves.

I guess I'm just curious how long it takes for Arnold to find all the right people.

Getting rid of Hicks and Gillett was the first and critical thing for Liverpool's upward trend. We're stuck with a more solvent equivalent and worse, the only types of buyer that would have the funds the Glazers would demand to sell are a whole different level of terrible.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Eric Cantonese posted:

I see where you're coming from, but the board was smart enough to plan around hiring Klopp and start buying Klopp type players before they even appointed him.

United's board still seem stuck in the mindset that they can hire a good manager, sign some talented players and that will work. They have no understanding of fit, personality or how players develop

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

To be fair, the man utd structure has been pretty much completely revamped the last couple of years so there's at least a sliver of hope that there's some competence up there now. Currently it's something like

CEO: Richard Arnold (new)
DoF: Richard Murtough (fairly new)
Technical director: Darren Fletcher (fairly new)
Football consultant?: Ralf Rangnick (new)

Previously it was pretty much all down to Ed Woodward who had gently caress all football knowledge. And he liked to get involved rather than let people who knew their poo poo do it for him.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Be hilarious if they closed the entrances 15 minutes in. Those 5 people wouldn't be able to do anything.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Dudley posted:

Be hilarious if they closed the entrances 15 minutes in. Those 5 people wouldn't be able to do anything.

Wrong Manc team.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Wrong Manc team.

lmao

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
btw, another good part about the Erik ten Hag as "fresh young manager" narrative is that he is actually older than Pep lmao

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

nawilo_420 posted:

btw, another good part about the Erik ten Hag as "fresh young manager" narrative is that he is actually older than Pep lmao

They're saying "young" but what they really mean is "bald"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When pundits say someone is young they mean "I have never heard of this person before."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1514581880011636738

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

nawilo_420 posted:

lol i had not realized that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rip

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1514898614375616513?t=4hwfhXafnUwNxT1Xa9GdCw&s=19

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

That's mental

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

yikes

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can only imagine dyche has said he's not managing in the championship or they've seen Leeds's form and they want to get someone in now to give them a late boost when they could still stay up

Don't know what they'll do without his motivational mantras now though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtD0z-MSmGg

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Which premier league manager is now most likely to eat a worm?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

End of an era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It was already pretty certain but they've just sealed their relegation, lmao.