Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Erik ten Hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Mate of mine has a kyrgiakos liverpool shirt that he paid full price for. Was so sure he was going to be van dijk before van dijk
Just reminded me of when Liverpool fans (including me) were convinced that Kyriakos Papadopoulos would have been our Van Dijk before we got Van Dijk.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

looking forward to another bald fraud in the prem

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

looking forward to another bald fraud in the prem

Goongratz on getting your managers badges. Who employed you?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1516050359629889542

Fernandes will need picking up in the morning

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Gorn Myson posted:

Just reminded me of when Liverpool fans (including me) were convinced that Kyriakos Papadopoulos would have been our Van Dijk before we got Van Dijk.

Sotirios walked so Kostas could run

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ZeeBoi posted:

things footballers apparently cannot do:

- have sex without another teammate present
- drive a car without crashing it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1516134148980854797

:(

hug em if you got em

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Aw drat :(

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Thanks, I just hugged all my Ronaldos

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
that's awful :(

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Horrible that. Hope he doesn't feel the need to front up and still show up for every game. I know he'll probably not miss a beat because that's the kind of super competitive madman he is but just have a weekend off and be with your Mrs. Not like pooshited have anything to play for

Also can't believe that Bruno Fernandes being involved in that absolute car crash. Also he was in some sort of vehicle accident

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
arsenal this season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-gGpWpra-g

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

That's alright he's well used to ca...

the sex ghost posted:

Also can't believe that Bruno Fernandes being involved in that absolute car crash. Also he was in some sort of vehicle accident

gently caress you :mad:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fulham are promoted to the Premier League

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Frankston posted:

Fulham are promoted to the Premier League

Yo-yo club gonna yo-yo, to keep up the pattern they'll have to go straight back down unfortunately.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
definitely had a very frustrating 0-0 draw pencilled in for that one

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/RichJolly/status/1516521322154799105

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I know internet fans are not representative of entire fanbases, but there's a lot of Man-U fan hatred for Maguire right now. I don't think he has a choice but to try to play his way out of it or otherwise outlast it, but as guy who played CB with somewhat similar limitations, I feel bad for the guy. It's not like United can sell him to someone at this stage without sustaining a financial loss that I don't think they're willing to take.

And it's not like he's the only bad player, but looking at his Twitter, he does seem to have some pretty tone-deaf PR managers/coaches right now.

And as far as criticizing Rangnick for the line-up, I believe he was constricted by injuries. I'm not sure if anyone could have put out a much better line-up and I'm sure he wasn't counting on Pogba not being able to last past the first half.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I mean apparently Eric Bailly was healthy so not sure why he wasnt starting.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Because he's loving awful, OP. Whatever you think of Maguire, Eric Bailly is worse, a lot more of a ticking bomb and about as injury prone as Phil Jones.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

He has pace, but as TheRat said, I think people overrate Bailly because of his absence. I can understand not putting faith in the guy when he can barely stay fit.

Ideally, Liverpool/Man-U is not the match where you chuck in a guy who doesn't have match fitness.

TheRat, Ninpo and Others: what do think of Rangnick?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Which of United's current players should still be starting for them next season? Fernandes, Wan Bissaka, Shaw... Varane? Rashford? Ronaldo? Fred? Cavani's contract is up in June (and he's 35) but he always seemed to put a proper shift in.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think Rangnick was tossed into an impossible situation where half the players had already given up and/or are leaving after the season. It's obvious he's incredibly frustrated with what's happening with the team/players. I don't think he's been particularly impressive in terms of results, but I'm not sure anyone could have been. I like his frankness when he speaks about problems, but he definitely hasn't been a magic cure. I think and hope he can have a greater impact from a director position over a longer period of time than as an emergency backup manager mid season.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

greazeball posted:

Which of United's current players should still be starting for them next season? Fernandes, Wan Bissaka, Shaw... Varane? Rashford? Ronaldo? Fred? Cavani's contract is up in June (and he's 35) but he always seemed to put a proper shift in.

Ronaldo is absolutely gone if they dont get CL.

Maguire is under contract until 2024. Cavani is probably gone. Varane might be gone too considering he cant stay healthy but hes also under contract until 2025 so unless they sell him

Honestly i didnt see the point bringing in Ragnarick as a coach and gettign rid of Ole. Just let Ralf come in next summer as DoF or whatever with a new coach.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

greazeball posted:

Remove Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Ronaldo, Rashford and Cavani from the list. Cavani is leaving, Ronaldo should leave to make room for an actual rebuild. Rashford and Shaw can start if they re-gain their form. Wan-Bissaka has to show he has anything to offer going forward.

E: If Cavani wanted to stay and managed to stay fit, he should absolutely be one of the first names on the sheet. The man's a loving machine and has a work ethic as good as you've ever seen.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
From an outside point of view, he seems a worse coach than advertised, which makes it doubly mystifying that they're not making better use of his organisational development skills.

United will continue to be poo poo until they develop a way they want to play, and teach their scouts, analysis guys and coaches what skills to look for and how to improve players. Until then, they'll have the same godawful squad of counterattacking guys that can't press (Maguire, AWB) and pressing guys that can't defend the length of the field or man mark

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

Remove Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Ronaldo, Rashford and Cavani from the list. Cavani is leaving, Ronaldo should leave to make room for an actual rebuild. Rashford and Shaw can start if they re-gain their form. Wan-Bissaka has to show he has anything to offer going forward.

Bissaka surely is a lock at RB. Cant see them getting anyone better.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Bissaka surely is a lock at RB. Cant see them getting anyone better.

Dalot has been much better this season, hence why Wan-Bissaka has been struggling to get game time.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

tarbrush posted:

From an outside point of view, he seems a worse coach than advertised, which makes it doubly mystifying that they're not making better use of his organisational development skills.

United will continue to be poo poo until they develop a way they want to play, and teach their scouts, analysis guys and coaches what skills to look for and how to improve players. Until then, they'll have the same godawful squad of counterattacking guys that can't press (Maguire, AWB) and pressing guys that can't defend the length of the field or man mark

Utd will remain poo poo until the Glazers gently caress off and stop draining the club dry

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Honestly i didnt see the point bringing in Ragnarick as a coach and gettign rid of Ole. Just let Ralf come in next summer as DoF or whatever with a new coach.

I didn't see the point in firing him at that stage either, but after the utter shitshow that was the 4-1 loss to Watford his position was just untenable.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

I didn't see the point in firing him at that stage either, but after the utter shitshow that was the 4-1 loss to Watford his position was just untenable.

i meant more bringing in someone else, just put Carrick as interim until the end of the season as opposed to the shitshow they did.

But Ole got hosed by Man U

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

Utd will remain poo poo until the Glazers gently caress off and stop draining the club dry

I shudder to think how horrible transfer fees would be right now if Man-U wasn't restrained by the Glazers' self-dealing.

I admit numbers are useless without context, but over the past 10 years, Man-U have had a higher net spend than PSG or City.

https://www.si.com/fannation/soccer/futbol/news/man-utd-city-and-psg-spend-over-1b-net-on-transfers-in-10-years

And that's just fees. I'm sure the numbers get even more mind-melting when you account for wages (although it's unlikely anyone can fully account for City's or PSG's off-books shenanigans).

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Will be interesting to see what the recruitment policy looks like without Ed running the show anymore

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

the sex ghost posted:

Will be interesting to see what the recruitment policy looks like without Ed running the show anymore

Hijacking the Haaland deal at £1m a week to ensure they have a literal tent pole to build the new squad around

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

Agreed, but the problem isn't that they're draining the club dry, it's that they're incompetent and spend £100m on Pogba and £80m on Maguire.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought Sancho had some exciting moments yesterday but that could just be the effects of TAAs defensive prowess

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sancho has looked fairly decent after christmas, but it's hard to shine when the rest of your team aren't really trying.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

But they spent a fortune on Rafa Varane and Jadon Sancho - both of whom have been very good players yet they've both not impressed at United. Like every season they spend a poo poo load and buy good players who somehow turn out to be poo poo but only at Man United.

Even players they loan out (Lingard) look loads better for being at a different club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Even players they loan out (Lingard) look loads better for being at a different club.
moyesy could and should make rashford great again imo