Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Eric the Mauve posted:

All they need is a fullback a centreback two midfielders a striker and a keeper and they're right back in that thing, for sure

He should* get a minimum of 2 summers/3 transfer windows, which is actually enough time to recruit all of this. If they give him enough time and control to navigate his first 12-18 months in charge then he should be able to make a lot of progress and start challenging at the top again.

Of course, this is post-Fergie Glazier-ran Manchester United we're talking about here. He'll have his £200m warchest spent from under him on a frequently-injured Harry Kane, a shrugging Paul Pogba for 2 more years and £500k a week, and a £120m+ post-World Cup Declan Rice in January (in an attempt to salvage top 4). This will be followed by Hopes & Prayers next summer before getting sacked for getting rinsed 4-0 by Spurs or something in November 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

an_mutt posted:

He should* get a minimum of 2 summers/3 transfer windows, which is actually enough time to recruit all of this. If they give him enough time and control to navigate his first 12-18 months in charge then he should be able to make a lot of progress and start challenging at the top again.

yes, all this might be true for a Pep or a Klopp or an Ancelotti or another experienced, world class manager.

Not Erik ten Hag though lmao. i promise you it will be extremely funny.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
here's a taste of the high octane press conferences we can expect from Ten Hag

https://youtu.be/o0KWi0OfQso

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

It's true

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m not sure what to think of Ten Hag. Does he have any rivals.com puns that aren’t homophobic?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

I’m not sure what to think of Ten Hag. Does he have any rivals.com puns that aren’t homophobic?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

nawilo_420 posted:

Did he piss on a swiss street or something? this seems personal

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

nawilo_420 posted:

who gives a gently caress about his press conferences you absolute weapon

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

who gives a gently caress about his press conferences you absolute weapon

Absolute weapon sounds like a badass compliment lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

an_mutt posted:

Of course, this is post-Fergie Glazier-ran Manchester United we're talking about here. He'll have his £200m warchest spent from under him on a frequently-injured Harry Kane, a shrugging Paul Pogba for 2 more years and £500k a week, and a £120m+ post-World Cup Declan Rice in January (in an attempt to salvage top 4). This will be followed by Hopes & Prayers next summer before getting sacked for getting rinsed 4-0 by Spurs or something in November 2023.

2-3 windows sounds optimistic to me. Those would have to be perfect windows and even the most successful club regimes have some underperforming acquisitions, if not outright stinkers.

Then again, who knows? They're really not that far off from 4th place and given how a good Bruno Fernandes revitalized them the last time by himself, maybe one or two people who can raise the playing standard and morale could work wonders. I guess this would be like Suarez and Sturridge turning Rodgers' 2013-2014 Liverpool side into title challengers.

My experience though is that big windows where people are getting more than 3 new incoming players tend to turn into damp squibs. It's better to be patient even if the lack of incomings drive fans nuts.

sourdough posted:

Absolute weapon sounds like a badass compliment lol

Like a great thrash band from the 80s.

ABSOLUTE

W
E
A
P
O
N

Available at record stores everywhere!!!

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

TheRat posted:

i hate him op

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TheRat posted:

I believe Oilwan hates Ajax and everyone and everything to do with Ajax.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

nothing has caused me to boom harder on erik ten hag than the fact that oliwan is enraged by him

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

But yeah, I will beat my old drum that I think a lot of the problems at United start to go away if you fix the giant hole in midfield, possibly by doing some voodoo ritual to resurrect Claude Makalele circa 2002.

I don't buy the narrative that players like Rashford and Fernandes magically became so bad that they're unfixable because they lost to Everton - at best, I think a lot of the current question marks will improve under a manager with a clear system, and at worst some of them can sit in the Oxlade-Chamberlain box where they do a job in terms of depth. Which is also one of United's problems, where not only do you have an unbalanced first team, but if anyone gets injured we're either moving players out of position or having to play kids and old men, where City and Liverpool have essentially two players for every position.

Whether or not they'll be kept around for a longer project to win cool poo poo is a different question, but you can definitely do this in stages.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It's loving funny and or depressing that Man Utd have had a Scholes/Carrick sized hole in the midfield for a decade now and haven't really tried to fix it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TheRat posted:

It's loving funny and or depressing that Man Utd have had a Scholes/Carrick sized hole in the midfield for a decade now and haven't really tried to fix it.

It's worse. It's a Roy Keane sized hole.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That too, definitely, but Scholes + Carrick was at least a very good midfield.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Roy Keane hole is a divot compared to the Vieira crater

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

the sex ghost posted:

Roy Keane hole is a divot compared to the Vieira crater

Instead of filling in that crater Arsenal dig deeper to hit solid Granit.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

Man who knows one man united manager: getting a lot of Alex Ferguson vibes from this appointment

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pik_d posted:

:golfclap:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pik_d posted:

lol

tarbrush posted:

It's worse. It's a Roy Keane sized hole.

TheRat posted:

That too, definitely, but Scholes + Carrick was at least a very good midfield.

Roy Keane was long gone by the time the midfield of Carrick/Scholes and occasionally Hargreaves when he was fit stomped its way through to Moscow and another Premier League title.

There have been attempts in the shape of Blind, Schneiderlin and Fred however Blind ended up filling in at centre back and left back (often with some aplomb) and was absolutely not a Mourinho player after LVG was brutally sacked. Schneiderlin just didn't step up and was bad at Everton too from what I gather and Fred clearly thrives more as an 8 than a deep lying screen and metronome for both club and country. It is a position we've been terrible at recruiting for but it's not like there hasn't really been movement in those positions.

Almost every position we're screaming out for has had attention in the past but it's been a revolving door of trying a younger talent in the shapes of Martial, Depay, Schneiderlin, before violently ricocheting to old short term talent like Zlatan, Schweinsteiger (lol) and more recently Cavani and Ronaldo. There's been a strategy of somewhat flailing to try and put a working first 11 together to secure a top four berth season on season but never any longer term strategy to build on that or start having depth for those first 11 positions that's comparable for/will compete with the first choices. Occasional "yes, that's a good signing" transfers aside like Bruno and Sancho there's been a heavy reliance on splurging on some other English club's starlets and hoping they make the step up with no plan beyond that or catching stars on the wane for a short term fix.

It's no coincidence that Mourinho and his extremely Mourinho squad of players like Zlatan, Rooney, Fellaini etc managed some minor silverware but the same wheels came off the same hosed up vehicle when it came time to replace those players and evolve the squad.

That's the sort of poo poo that needs to change no matter who the manager is so I'm completely nonplussed about ten Hag until I see what the rest of the management structure does to support his tenure.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Who could forget the Bastian Schweinsteiger era of Manchester United?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

pik_d posted:

Bravo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

The new King Erik....just lmao

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:cripes:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

drat they didn't even wait for a good result to use my Perfect Ten headline smh

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Could also have gone with Erik the red, lot of headline potential which you like to see in a new arrival

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

'Erik' and 'ten' already used, now we just wait for things to turn sour and see how 'Haag' is used

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'Hag his chips', 'armHaggedon', something about haggling for his job idk. Just some of the options that coward headline writers won't use

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Soft as Hag-en daz ten reasons why King Erik has no clothes

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Erik Zero Hag

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Are You Haag’ing a Laugh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
after their first defeat it'll be "He should be tried in the Hag"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
During the summer when they’re on holiday and they get photos of him at the beach with his family they’ll go with “Haag Ten”

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Waiting for Erik the BuyKing along with dodgy helmet photoshop during transfer silly season.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

When the players don't show up for him it will be "Left Holding the Haag"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I'm seeing double - Erik Twente Hag

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

His assistant leaves a fairly open "Gaag order" if someone starts blabbering to the press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Dunno anything about his personal life but they'll do a photo shoot of a wife/girlfriend and title it "Erik's 10 WAG"