Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

moonmazed posted:

then why post in the first place

people have been asking this question for 11 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Arthur MacArthur is a great name.

Not quite as great as Gregor MacGregor, world class 19th-century scam artist.

This reminds me of the first ever Australian born Governor General of Australia. Sir Issac Issacs

It's a petty and obscure historical fact that I like to pull out every so often because it has stuck in my brain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson won the 1903 nobel prize for literature

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

After Japan outlawed the Bible in 1603, some communities kept practicing in secret and passing down Christianity orally. They venerated Jesus, John, Peter, and Paul, and believed that Christianity would let them break the cycle of rebirth. When Japan opened to foreigners in 1868, most of the 30,000 hidden Christians joined the Catholic Church. However, some followers believed that their faith was the true one and the Catholics had gone astray, so they kept practicing their own Christianity. There are still some practitioners now, but most are very old.

Every religion is heavily influenced by retellings and artistic interpretations, but the Kakure Christians are a fascinating example because they diverged so much while isolated from the rest of Christianity.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Carthag Tuek posted:

Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson won the 1903 nobel prize for literature
Because of how Icelandic names work, there are two strongmen (including a four-time World's Strongest Man), a 13th century Earl, a politician, and a British TV presenter all named some variation on Magnus Magnusson, and none of them are related.

girl dick energy has a new favorite as of 11:40 on May 11, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

Because of how Icelandic names work, there are two strongmen (including a four-time World's Strongest Man), a 13th century Earl, a politician, and a British TV presenter all named some variation on Magnus Magnusson, and none of them are related.

There are loads and loads of people with the same first and last name where the names do not abide by Icelandic naming conventions so... OK?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Soul Dentist posted:

P.S. I looked at the folklore directory under G for gay and didn't find anything :newlol:. I was hoping specifically for more info about Thompson's repressed archetypes. Although I do love reading through the classifications

There's a lot about fairies though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are loads and loads of people with the same first and last name where the names do not abide by Icelandic naming conventions so... OK?

“Magnus” and “Magnusson” are in fact different names. :smug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

“Magnus” and “Magnusson” are in fact different names. :smug:

Same first and last name with each other not with themself.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Magnússon means Son of Magnús and means your dad was also called Magnús.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Magnús Magnússon Magnúsmagnússonsson

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t use the superior, gender‐neutral postfix –bur

They call me Aaron Aaronbur.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

That's why the vikings came up with nicknames like 'the red' or 'bloodaxe'. When you have two dozen people called Harald Olafsson you need a way to tell them apart.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
imagine being such a backwards culture that you haven't invented surnames yet

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Peanut President posted:

We didn't have surnames in Norway until 1923 when we got a law saying everyone has to have one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Peanut President posted:

surnames are only necessary for bureaucracy

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Before immigrants started to come to Iceland in the 20th century only rich people had surnames.

Some of them because they were descendants of Danish colonials merchants or officials others because they wanted to imitate those Danish merchants and officials and gave themselves fancy last names usually ending in "dal" (valley) or "fjörð" (fjord).

Norðfjörð, Reykdal, etc. etc.

This practice was outlawed when the naming commission was introduced but people who already had surnames were exempt.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 19:30 on May 11, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Which inevitably gets invented once you reach a certain level of complexity in running the civilization, yes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iceland isn't shy about bureaucracy.

We have a registry of almost every single Icelander back to 1703 (and some spottier records back to 874), their relations, and personal details. This database was developed into an genealogy app that allows you to connect to any other Icelander and see exactly how you're related tracing every individual ancestor back to your last common ancestor b(usually some random 18th century peasants neither person has heard off). This has been interpreted by the Southron media as "the incest app" though of course finding cousins to gently caress is only one minor function of the app

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Isn't Iceland the only country that still uses patronymic names? That's honestly kind of admirable.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My cousin got pregnant via IVF and had to get bureaucratic approval to use her surname since there's no father in the picture and surnames generally aren't handed down on the female side.

Also according to family lore my great grandfather didn't tell his kids their surname until he was on his deathbed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Björk Tilraunaglasdóttir

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

Isn't Iceland the only country that still uses patronymic names? That's honestly kind of admirable.

Also 1st names must abide by THE RULES

quote:

A child must be given a name before the age of six months. The Personal Names Register includes all Icelandic names that have been approved. A special act of law applies to the giving of names.

A child may be given a name in the following manner:

by being christened in the national church or in a registered religious association.

by notification of the giving of a name to Registers Iceland which provides forms for this purpose.

by notification to a church minister or to the head of a registered religious association of the giving of a name.

A child may only be named by those who have custody of the child.

If a child is to be given a name that is not listed on the National Register of Persons, an application must be submitted to the Personal Names Committee for approval of the name.

A fee must be paid for a ruling concerning a new name that is not listed.

The ruling of the Personal Names Committee cannot be overturned by another government body.

Rules for names
Rules for Icelandic personal names provide that names must:

be able to have a genitive ending or have been adopted through custom in the Icelandic language,

must be adaptable to the structure of the Icelandic language and spelling conventions and

does not cause the bearer embarrassment.

No person can have more than three personal names.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Because Iceland refuses to be sullied by Megatrons, Khaleesis, and Braydens.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Because Iceland. It is The Way It Is Done.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Because Iceland refuses to be sullied by Megatrons, Khaleesis, and Braydens.

I revoke my bewilderment, and encourage the US to adopt a similar system

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

No person can have more than three names

this is anti-Catholic bigotry. Where's my John James Ignatius Marcus Nicholas Mastersons, or "Natty" for short

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Catholics were illegal until 1874

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I revoke my bewilderment, and encourage the US to adopt a similar system

It's actually pretty racist! Because of how strict the rules are, there's a very small list of approved names and common names in many languages (including English) are banned. Unless both parents are foreigners, you're forced to assimilate from birth.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Iceland used to be pretty rough:

quote:

The both of them were found guilty and were sentenced to death in 1596 at Laugarbrekka. Just as Axlar-Björn’s murders were horrible, so was his execution. One account says that the executioner used a sledgehammer to shatter his limbs while he was still alive. Following that, his limbs and head were cut off and strung to poles. His wife had a front row seat to his death. At one point, his privates were cut off and tossed into his wife’s lap.

People were so afraid that his ghost might come back to hunt them. So, they took the pieces of his body and buried them under three different cairns.

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 02:33 on May 12, 2022

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

chitoryu12 posted:

Unless both parents are foreigners, you're forced to assimilate from birth.

This is really interesting. How does this work for foreigners and their children? And considering the tone of the previous posts, is it difficult for foreign families to assimilate?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Carthag Tuek posted:

History of surnames in Korea is fun too. For most of Korean history, surnames were granted by the king to royalty or the aristocracy, so most people in the rigid caste system just did not have one. Late 19th century Japanese occupation bureaucrats did not like this, so they forced everyone to choose a family name and stick with it. People often chose names that belonged to wealthy and prestigious families in the area.
And that's why literally half of South Korea today has one of four surnames (Kim, Lee, Park, Jung). If the same thing had happened in the US, one out of every ~4 people would share the last name Rockefeller.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Ethnic Malays in Malaysia still use them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

girl dick energy posted:

We don't really use them much, but patronymics became legal again in Denmark in 2005* — you can even use matronymics now! Also you can use like Arabic bin or ibn, etc, as long as it is used traditionally in some culture (doesn't have to be your own, as far as I can see).
https://danskelove.dk/navneloven/7

* they were outlawed in 1828; the original intent was to make tracking people easier (hence my comment about bureaucracy), but it actually just locked in boring patronymics instead of the much more colorful bynames people had. Almost 70% of people still had -sen patronymics in the 1960s. It's down to less than 50% now, because of the continued liberalization of naming.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

girl dick energy posted:

Patronymic names are still used in parts of Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and a few other countries. Although people with these names will often adopt a last name if they have to do a lot of paperwork with Westerners.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The vast majority of russians still have their middle names as patronymics. It's legally required to have a tripartite name, waved for foreigners who get russian nationality. My wife is a Sofya Aleksandrovna X, her sister is Alyona Aleksandrovna X, her brother is Fyodor Aleksandrovich X.

You also use it when being respectful (think t/v split) as an alternative to Mr/Ms Whoever. And then most every name has several diminutives if you're on "ty" terms. Sofyuka, Lenusha, Fedka.

Mercifully everyone seems to mostly use normal names, so there's no poor bastards called Ivan Carldrogovich. The early soviet period is the exception. There's old folks named "Traktor" and "Staleng" and "Vladlen" and "Barrikad."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Ethnic Malays in Malaysia still use them.
They also use them in Pakistan.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The vast majority of russians still have their middle names as patronymics. It's legally required to have a tripartite name, waved for foreigners who get russian nationality. My wife is a Sofya Aleksandrovna X, her sister is Alyona Aleksandrovna X, her brother is Fyodor Aleksandrovich X.

You also use it when being respectful (think t/v split) as an alternative to Mr/Ms Whoever. And then most every name has several diminutives if you're on "ty" terms. Sofyuka, Lenusha, Fedka.

Mercifully everyone seems to mostly use normal names, so there's no poor bastards called Ivan Carldrogovich. The early soviet period is the exception. There's old folks named "Traktor" and "Staleng" and "Vladlen" and "Barrikad."

And of course you get the excellent doubled names like Ivan Ivanovich, Vladimir Vladimirovich, Sergei Sergeievich, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1782 jews in Austria were forced to get surnames in order to be tolerated (the law was literally called the Edict of Tolerance). Which is why many jews today have german names.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Also 1st names must abide by THE RULES
There's also a norwegian name law. It has been relaxed a bit in recent years but it's still not allowed to call your kid Gaylord Hitler. A fun little quirk with the law is that if fewer than 200 people share a surname you have to ask them for permission if you want to use it.