Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
there's so much interesting war happening right now, who has time for all that old war, history never repeats etc

(in seriousness i feel your exhaustion, friend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've never seen it but it's on the list. I was always a bit touchy with Vietnam stuff as a kid since my dad got an invite from Uncle Sam and spent 11 months there.

The original score by Nine Inch Nails works better than it has any right to

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ken Burns’ Vietnam, and The Civil War are seminal works in the documentary world.

Vietnam makes me angry mad and sad cry. I think a lot of GWOT vets would understand what some of these men went through.

Goddamn I hate politicians. And generals. I won’t say officers broadly, but definitely generals.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No Gods, no Generals

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Baseball episodes 1 and 2 are the best Ken burns documentaries. It's weird he never finished the series, but how do you top perfection?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BUG JUG posted:

Baseball episodes 1 and 2 are the best Ken burns documentaries. It's weird he never finished the series, but how do you top perfection?

You get Hank Azaria to narrate a re-release of it in his Brockmire voice. No profanity, just serious business Brockmire the whole way through.

Also, watching the tail end of the "hearings" tonight, it struck me. This is Frank Grimes' attempt to "shame" Homer done in real life on live television.

And it'll have the same result. You can't shame people who have no shame.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, watching the tail end of the "hearings" tonight, it struck me. This is Frank Grimes' attempt to "shame" Homer done in real life on live television.

And it'll have the same result. You can't shame people who have no shame.

Yeah this is where I am, although I wish I wasn't. I don't want to be a doomer but it's getting really hard.

All the Twitter libs going "OMG wow boom gotem 🙌🔥🍿" make me feel crazy. No you don't gotem. The architects are still in loving Congress and/or making bank on cable TV, with a whole industrial-scale apologist campaign backing them up. I'll believe this matters when Big People (TM) are getting perp walked.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This sounds stupid, but the guy knows more about law than I do.

quote:

But in the merger agreement, there are also covenants, promises that Musk and Twitter make to each other about what they will do going forward, between the signing of the merger agreement and the closing. If Twitter breaches a representation, Musk still has to close unless the breach causes a material adverse effect. But if Twitter breaches a covenant, Musk can walk away: He doesn’t have to close unless Twitter “shall have performed or complied, in all material respects, with its obligations required under this Agreement.” There is no MAE requirement: You just have to comply with the covenants.

And one of the covenants is that Twitter “shall ... furnish promptly to [Musk] all information concerning the business, properties and personnel of [Twitter] as may reasonably be requested in writing, in each case, for any reasonable business purpose related to the consummation of the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.” Another one is that Twitter will “provide any reasonable cooperation reasonably requested” in connection with Musk’s debt financing.

Musk, as a non-lawyer, came up with a pretext that is like “Twitter told me something untrue about its bot problem, so I can walk away.” That sounds like it might work, but doesn’t work. But Musk’s lawyers have a better pretext. It’s something like “keep asking them for more information about their bot problem; eventually you’ll ask questions they won’t answer, and then you can walk away.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-06-06/elon-has-a-new-bot-excuse

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ken Burns’ Vietnam, and The Civil War are seminal works in the documentary world.

Vietnam makes me angry mad and sad cry. I think a lot of GWOT vets would understand what some of these men went through.

Goddamn I hate politicians. And generals. I won’t say officers broadly, but definitely generals.

I had to start drinking to finish the Vietnam documentary, my dad refused to watch it

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Willy Wonka sends his regards…

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1535007007924551680?s=20&t=5lUPQ_F51awAW1Er167a-A

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hershey is like right *there* and I had no idea there was an M&M plant in E-town until this morning.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hershey is like right *there* and I had no idea there was an M&M plant in E-town until this morning.

Turns it was actually just Ted Cruz trying to gently caress the green M&M again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Come with me, and you'll be, in a world of OSHA violations."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/09/uvalde-chief-pete-arredondo-interview/

quote:

Not a single responding officer ever hesitated, even for a moment, to put themselves at risk to save the children,” Arredondo said. “We responded to the information that we had and had to adjust to whatever we faced. Our objective was to save as many lives as we could, and the extraction of the students from the classrooms by all that were involved saved over 500 of our Uvalde students and teachers before we gained access to the shooter and eliminated the threat.

Okay my dude, you can go to your grave believing you are not a coward but that's just factually wrong

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm still thinking they shot kids and are on a cover-up. Zero proof of that, just this rear end in a top hat-on-the-internet's opinion.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/09/uvalde-chief-pete-arredondo-interview/

Okay my dude, you can go to your grave believing you are not a coward but that's just factually wrong
"listen, only 3.8% of the kids died, so that's pretty good. I don't know why you're so mad" is a HELL of a take.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

stealie72 posted:

"listen, only 3.8% of the kids died, so that's pretty good. I don't know why you're so mad" is a HELL of a take.

Lol that’s xcom numbers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stealie72 posted:

3.8% of the kids

They say that for cops it’s ten times worse.

Google “40% of cops” for more.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
40 year high for inflation, we did it!

Very glad The Economy is just so so so strong and awesome, means no biggie when we need to give Ukraine another few tens of billions in a couple months

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 10, 2022

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/vebaccount/status/1535266739268861954

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A.o.D. posted:

Burns' Civil War is excellent, but no piece of media has ever made me feel as much anger as his Vietnam War series, and for all the right reasons.

The interviews they do with Marlantes are great. You can tell that guy is powered by nuclear rage over what he went thru.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

40 year high for inflation, we did it!

Very glad The Economy is just so so so strong and awesome, means no biggie when we need to give Ukraine another few tens of billions in a couple months

The Economy has nothing to do with the welfare of you or I. The implication that it does is one of the greatest lies we're told in order to make our society work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A.o.D. posted:

The Economy has nothing to do with the welfare of you or I. The implication that it does is one of the greatest lies we're told in order to make our society work.

Ofc it has something to do with us.its the excuse our overlords use to pay us jack and/or poo poo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Ofc it has something to do with us.its the excuse our overlords use to pay us jack and/or poo poo

You're still getting excuses?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

The Economy as a monolithic entity was invented during the Great Depression to simplify policy effects into Number Go Up or Number Go Down.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only silver lining to the financial turmoil to come will be the collective Bitbro realization that "oh wow, I shouldn't have hodled." :shepicide:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's the future. There will be no realization

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

A.o.D. posted:

drat you mean inflation has nothing to do with the economy? it's one big hosed up ecosystem and yes this poo poo does impact our lives when prices increase

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Truth Social swingin' the banhammer:

https://twitter.com/TravisAllen02/status/1535076335579971584

:ironicat:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's the future. There will be no realization

Corollary: It's the realization there will be no future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah this is where I am, although I wish I wasn't. I don't want to be a doomer but it's getting really hard.

All the Twitter libs going "OMG wow boom gotem 🙌🔥🍿" make me feel crazy. No you don't gotem. The architects are still in loving Congress and/or making bank on cable TV, with a whole industrial-scale apologist campaign backing them up. I'll believe this matters when Big People (TM) are getting perp walked.

And the Sorkinite Liberals who always lament about how "it's such a shame that we don't have a Jeb Bartlett." :smith:

Weird how those same people never mention Jimmy Smits' Santos character - I wonder why THAT is, hmmmmmm... >.>

THEN GO OUT AND FIND/DEVELOP ONE. HE/SHE/THEY ARE OUT THERE. But no, there's no such thing as "development" anymore. You either "luck" into it, are *born* into it, or are ~bought~ into it. The only political "natural development" that's allowed nowadays is what's *allowed* to happen, not what's actually possible.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

drat you mean inflation has nothing to do with the economy? it's one big hosed up ecosystem and yes this poo poo does impact our lives when prices increase

Hmm, yes, my point was definitely that we're unaffected by it. Good catch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/gummy_joe7/status/1535042052467064869

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And the Sorkinite Liberals who always lament about how "it's such a shame that we don't have a Jeb Bartlett." :smith:

Weird how those same people never mention Jimmy Smits' Santos character - I wonder why THAT is, hmmmmmm... >.>

THEN GO OUT AND FIND/DEVELOP ONE. HE/SHE/THEY ARE OUT THERE. But no, there's no such thing as "development" anymore. You either "luck" into it, are *born* into it, or are ~bought~ into it. The only political "natural development" that's allowed nowadays is what's *allowed* to happen, not what's actually possible.

Santos was Obama, that worked out great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “Moderate Republican” Vilnick was supposed to win, but then Obama started looking good so they reworked the plot at the last minute and threw in the nuclear plant crisis to hand the election to Santos.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

The “Moderate Republican” Vilnick was supposed to win, but then Obama started looking good so they reworked the plot at the last minute and threw in the nuclear plant crisis to hand the election to Santos.

Uhhh, Obama hadn’t even given his big nationally televised speech at the DNC when the last episodes of the West Wing were aired let alone filmed or wrote.

Unless that’s the joke and I’m an unfunny joke killer.. :ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was a long time ago, O.K.?

I’m remembering the late rewrite correctly, but its cause was the death of John Spencer, who played Leo, Bartlett’s chief of staff and Santos’ running mate.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

It was a long time ago, O.K.?

I’m remembering the late rewrite correctly, but its cause was the death of John Spencer, who played Leo, Bartlett’s chief of staff and Santos’ running mate.

Oh, dude. I know.

I had an obsession with the show when it was new, and own all the DVD’s, with commentary. And have watched all of it at least 10 times in the past 5 years alone. I know West Wing.

I have a core set of shows that I rewatch over and over, I’m told by people paid to be smarter than me that it’s a coping thing- Because I like the familiar and known or some poo poo.

Anyway, I’m a fan of the show even if I’m not a lanyard class succ lib, exactly. Tommy Schlamme and Sorkin banging out a show acted by Rob Lowe, Martin Sheen, and Allison Janney?! I’m in. All in. Could be a baby shark sequel in a 10 part 11 minute episode format on Tubi+ and I’d pay loving Tubi for the right to watch it if those folks are involved.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Feeling pretty good about living car-free in a walkable/rollable neighborhood right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
That episode where Bartlett pledges to nominate a conservative AND liberal supreme court justice is the best insight into Sorkin's "politics is a thing to make me sound intelligent at cocktail parties, gently caress material outcomes" ideology.