Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tiny Timbs posted:

fwiw Tesla claims they count any accident occurring within 5 seconds of Autopilot disabling

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-crash-elon-musk-autopilot-safety-data-flaws-experts-nhtsa-2021-4

Well of course they'd say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Man, I would've considered a Tesla for my next car after I saw a friend drive hers with her finger a couple years ago but, between Musk's general douchebaggery and now this? :yikes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CBJSprague24 posted:

Man, I would've considered a Tesla for my next car after I saw a friend drive hers with her finger a couple years ago but, between Musk's general douchebaggery and now this? :yikes:

Look at the Kia EV6 instead.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
it still blows my mind that you can just sign up to a tester pool, sign a disclaimer and drive on public streets with a "Full self-driving beta".
A beta test...by non-certified operators, in a non-controlled environment, in public.

Like, does the agreement you need to sign include a line that says "I hereby waive the right of innocent bystanders to not incur bodily harm"?

/edit:
Not saying prototypes of vehicles aren't tested in public, but the fact that regular, untrained customers can just sign up for this...can't wrap my head around it.
I've googled the requirements, and it looks like the only bar to clear for testers is "sign up for the trial, drive for a week while maintaining a 98-100 'safety score', and you're good to go."

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 13, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Their batteries are known fire hazards, their supercharging tech is built on the concept of "bypass the charging circuits and dump amps straight into the cells at the expense of battery lifespan", and on some models there are no emergency manual releases for the rear doors.

They're like the EV Pinto, if the Pinto was actually as prone to exploding as the original mother jones article about it in the 70s claimed it was. Except a gasoline fire can be put out by the fire department; adding water to a lithium fire just gives you more explosions.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1535643542244188160

I feel like this is the first time I've seen a reputable news source suggest civil war could be a thing if Trump gets charged.

Betteridge's Law of Headlines.
No, Garland doesn't want to charge Trump with anything, ever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kazinsal posted:

Their batteries are known fire hazards, their supercharging tech is built on the concept of "bypass the charging circuits and dump amps straight into the cells at the expense of battery lifespan", and on some models there are no emergency manual releases for the rear doors.

They're like the EV Pinto, if the Pinto was actually as prone to exploding as the original mother jones article about it in the 70s claimed it was. Except a gasoline fire can be put out by the fire department; adding water to a lithium fire just gives you more explosions.

I despise Tesla, but this is just pure hyperbole. Tesla's battery tech has been super reliable, lots of people have crazy miles on super charging only. The cars have a great safety record, and lithium fires suck, but that's going to be an issue until we have better battery chemistry. You can cool lithium fires and prevent their spread with water fog no problem.

No manual door handles is still the dumbest poo poo ever though, just pure whiz-bang "look how cool" failure prone tech for no reason.

E: this isn't the EV thread, oops.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

it still blows my mind that you can just sign up to a tester pool, sign a disclaimer and drive on public streets with a "Full self-driving beta".
A beta test...by non-certified operators, in a non-controlled environment, in public.

Like, does the agreement you need to sign include a line that says "I hereby waive the right of innocent bystanders to not incur bodily harm"?

/edit:
Not saying prototypes of vehicles aren't tested in public, but the fact that regular, untrained customers can just sign up for this...can't wrap my head around it.
I've googled the requirements, and it looks like the only bar to clear for testers is "sign up for the trial, drive for a week while maintaining a 98-100 'safety score', and you're good to go."

In some states, to get a driver's license, all you need is a pulse. Frankly, even that's assumed by the fact you showed up--nobody's touching your wrist. When we trust 16 year-olds with explosive powered killing machines because they were able to lap around the county clerk's office once without hitting a pedestrian and accomplished a three point turn with some coaching, are AI beta tests much if a stretch?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

About a year ago I was looking at buying a car for my wife and I. I got down to a Tesla vs a Mazda 3 turbo hatchback. The thing that broke me away from Tesla was the customer service experiences people were having. I imagine every car company has their lovely experiences, but Tesla stories were simply made out of entirely different ingredients, and that’s being kind. It sounded really bad. The Tesla build quality is, on average, excellent, but those cars below average are vast and too many to count. From the minor panel gaps to missing ports/parts that they don’t even really tell the consumer about when making the purchase reservation to literal drivetrain build errors that could kill the customer. Tesla’s mantra, “going Tesla is a lifestyle (and these hiccups that literally do not happen w/ any other car company are part of it) ..”

The Mazda 3 turbo is such a phenomenal car. The assistant driving function is just for traffic jams and is very safe. It slaps. The interior is an unbelievable level of subtle beauty. The customer service experience I’ve had is so, so good. They’ll do anything for you. They look out for you. And if something is wrong or goes wrong, they become personally invested in it until it’s figured out. A human does! Not a loving text bot in an app.

A Tesla, with its current bag of issues, simply will not last more than 5 years without running into either a catastrophic parts problem or a catastrophic service problem, or both. It is the biggest red flag in the world that a brand that expensive can’t comfortably make it through five years let alone ten without a major snafu somewhere.

When Mazda makes a 400-1000mile range electric vehicle holy poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Mazda is also one of the only car companies left that haven't moved over to CVTs, too.

Too bad every single one is cramped as gently caress.

As for Tesla, it seems that the first 3-5 years were the most important for "cultivating the brand" and coasting on that ever since as they've figured out ways to maximize profits and minimize overhead. If you're earning over $300k and don't have a Tesla as your "grocery store car," they look at you funny at the country club!

Owning a Tesla is practically an upper upper middle class requirement at this point. :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 13, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Prius Prime / plug in, is awesome, just saying. Especially if you do under 40 mile commutes each day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Charging EVs still sucks for a lot of people, especially in urban areas. If you own a house, awesome, no worries, you can order up a higher amp service and have a 240V 30A circuit run into your garage. Those of us who live in apartment buildings because a townhouse an hour from work costs a million dollars in the adamantium housing bubble will always have to find some charging station somewhere that isn't in use and pay whatever the charging station owner's set their rates to.

At least here in BC a lot of charging stations are on the public grid and it costs like, 25 cents a minute to use a 100kW charging station. So if I owned an EV I could go to the local library, plug my car in, go inside, grab a book, come back out to my car, read a few chapters, then drive home. Assuming the charger at my local library isn't in use.

That also being said, EVs are still pretty expensive. When they come down in price in ten years or whatever and ICE engines are going away I will hopefully be able to purchase a home and an EV to go with it. Until then I'll keep putting a tank of 94 a month into my BRZ.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tiny Timbs posted:

fwiw Tesla claims they count any accident occurring within 5 seconds of Autopilot disabling

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-crash-elon-musk-autopilot-safety-data-flaws-experts-nhtsa-2021-4

ol' musky has also said a bunch of other completely untrue bullshit, so, you know. mountain of salt and all that.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1536022923076673537?t=B6LB8A1Im61EeDeGWUD9eg&s=19

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/macomb/2022/06/12/warren-house-bombs-ammo-guns-explosion/7604452001/

Richard Pryor posted:

Let me tell you what really happened. Usually when I go to bed, I have milk and cookies. And One night I had some low-fat milk and some pasteurized, And I mixed them together. And I dipped my cookie and the poo poo blew up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Convenient that be disarmed himself before the authorities did.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Warren Peace: A Farewell to Arms

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

loving :perfect:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

You can find adaptive cruise control and lane assist on decidedly not fancy cars these days, you don't need a Tesla to drive with one finger on the highway. And most of those manufacturers are responsible enough that the car will beep at you if you take that one finger off for too long.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The Chevrolet Bolt, a car that exists and has actual quality control and after sales support, gets like 300 miles to a charge in good conditions.

Just saying. Mine’s a 2020 with about 20k km on it and I’ve only taken it in for tire changes, the 12k check up and a battery recall software update.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Crypto crashing again. Hilarious as usual.

E: what kind of lovely tires did Chevy put on the bolt that you needed new ones in 12k miles?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: what kind of lovely tires did Chevy put on the bolt that you needed new ones in 12k miles?

Winter / summer tires, we’re required to change over by Dec 15 here :quebec:

To be clear, the summer tires came with the car.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

$11B of my apes (crypto) gone

https://twitter.com/CelsiusNetwork/status/1536169010877739009?t=owiqFbYiwuCAwPrj0h9wHg&s=19

Shame that with my fiat currency I can just... withdraw and use my money whenever and wherever I want to!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FrozenVent posted:

Winter / summer tires, we’re required to change over by Dec 15 here :quebec:

To be clear, the summer tires came with the car.

Oh that's right, the great thawing north.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
All season tires are a corporate scam even if you live in the tiny band of states where they would technically be fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just don't. Go look at any other EV than Tesla. Its not worth it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

M_Gargantua posted:

All season tires are a corporate scam even if you live in the tiny band of states where they would technically be fine.

Are nation states states? It's in the name after all. And winter tires is very much not a scam as very sadly has been and worse continues to be proven

E. All-season :downs: misread. Sorry

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 13, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Just don't. Go look at any other EV than Tesla. Its not worth it.

They’re such a rancid pile of QC issues and aggressive cost-cutting. It constantly amazes me that a company that puts out such a large volume of vehicles at high margin still finds ways to constantly be on the verge of collapse, but I guess their board has to be in love with Elon’s brilliant leadership as long as he has a stranglehold on the Reddit incel base.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

They’re such a rancid pile of QC issues and aggressive cost-cutting. It constantly amazes me that a company that puts out such a large volume of vehicles at high margin still finds ways to constantly be on the verge of collapse, but I guess their board has to be in love with Elon’s brilliant leadership as long as he has a stranglehold on the Reddit incel base.

Let alone bill what are essentially luxury vehicles that have absolutely poo poo for quality.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Did anything come of their deliberately obliterating serial numbers & identifying marks on battery packs so they could conceal faulty/mishandled/damaged packs being installed and shipped?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh, I'm aware. I'm just rolling on lovely Big O all seasons because they came on my car. And when they're toast, I'm looking at all terrains.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm currently on All-Seasons and I switch to Winters for the winter because lol they're terrible on a RWD car in snowy conditions. All-Seasons are only good up into light slush, anything worse than that and they might as well be racing slicks. On winters, I'd have to drive like a loving idiot to have any major trouble.

For content - a programming note for this morning's J6 hearings:

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/1536342530974814219

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kazinsal posted:

Charging EVs still sucks for a lot of people, especially in urban areas. If you own a house, awesome, no worries, you can order up a higher amp service and have a 240V 30A circuit run into your garage. Those of us who live in apartment buildings because a townhouse an hour from work costs a million dollars in the adamantium housing bubble will always have to find some charging station somewhere that isn't in use and pay whatever the charging station owner's set their rates to.

That also being said, EVs are still pretty expensive. When they come down in price in ten years or whatever and ICE engines are going away I will hopefully be able to purchase a home and an EV to go with it. Until then I'll keep putting a tank of 94 a month into my BRZ.
You can get a rock-solid, brand new EV for ~$2k and carry either the battery or the EV itself into the apartment with you :confused:

I know, I know, I'm being deliberately obtuse, but I really do think society needs to start opening up to the idea of bikes as a serious mode of transportation (albeit one which decades of car supremacy has made difficult or impossible in vast swathes of America). Of course, or elected representative still refuse to subsidize 2-wheeled EV adoption and good luck getting a loan with favorable interest rates for one...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

:vincefrog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

i just wish it would crash to zero, where it belongs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cugel the Clever posted:

You can get a rock-solid, brand new EV for ~$2k and carry either the battery or the EV itself into the apartment with you :confused:

5kw of modern lithium iron phosphate battery is about 100 pounds. The battery packs in Teslas are like, 80-95kw. The Ford Lightning comes with a 98kw or 131kw battery. This isn't happening unless you want an electric car with a range of 5 miles.

Once upon a time a few years ago there was a motorcycle that had hot swappable batteries. Obviously the start up failed.

Also there's the Kandi EVs if you don't mind being limited to 35mph. You can get a Fiat looking thing for $12k before incentives.

https://www.kandiamerica.com/

The truck is off road only.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

5kw of modern lithium iron phosphate battery is about 100 pounds. The battery packs in Teslas are like, 80-95kw. The Ford Lightning comes with a 98kw or 131kw battery. This isn't happening unless you want an electric car with a range of 5 miles.

Once upon a time a few years ago there was a motorcycle that had hot swappable batteries. Obviously the start up failed.

Also there's the Kandi EVs if you don't mind being limited to 35mph. You can get a Fiat looking thing for $12k before incentives.

https://www.kandiamerica.com/

The truck is off road only.

He's talking about E-Bikes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
OHHHH.

Well I'm a dumbass.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
not as dumb as suggesting that a bike is viable transit in america :rimshot:

e: this is an insult towards america but also all of the loving asinine places like vegas and phoenix

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh, I'm aware. I'm just rolling on lovely Big O all seasons because they came on my car. And when they're toast, I'm looking at all terrains.

Just be aware that, in general, all-terrain tires will still perform worse than winter tires in conditions where you need winter tires. If you actually use your all-terrain tires for what they were made for, you're getting a lot of payoff vs. regular tires, but due to the very nature of them, there's a massive downside to them during winter conditions in the environments where they were not meant to excel at, namely paved roads. If you're in a region where there's a risk of icy roads/additional snowfall in the winter, all-terrain tires may actually perform worse than all-season tires due to their tread pattern and tread composition.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Here you’ll get ticketed if you don’t have the tires with the little snowy mountain logo and deep enough groves between December 15 and March 15.

It’s annoying but heh, it makes sense from a public safety perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
suck my dick u fuckman Vegas is fine for bikes

Drink water and move more. 4/5 of the year, the weather is perfect for cycling.

non-riders deciding what's not "worth it" like that fucks things up in the long run and I truly resent it when they close a bus/bike lane to make traffic still poo poo.