Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
You also get teleport scrolls and some boats which upgrade travel distance too. Makes it super easy to explore. I kind of like the one biome = one island/map structure, it makes exploring each of them feel pretty manageable. I’m excited to see even more content get built out, the automation is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Fountain of Youth is definitely scratching the survival itch for me. I have a few complaints but that's not stopped me from playing the poo poo out of it.

Biggest issue is thunderstorms absolutely tanking my fps; unplayable when it happens. My fault for running on a laptop tho.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
To add regarding Necesse, as far as I can tell when you reach the border of your home map tile you can just travel to any other island, you don't have to go to one of the direct neighbours. Not sure if that's intended to remain or will be patched out eventually, but I've used it to rush home from far away before. So far I am enjoying it but I think I've run up against some of the current limitations - I have a little settlement with the starting "Elder", two guards, two farmers, and a hunter. It's a pretty stable settlement - like it constantly has food and other supplies. I've challenged the first "boss" which is a summon, but I did it in a foreign village so that all of their guards could tank for me, which worked out great, I just ran around avoiding attacks while the villages dogpiled the boss. I accidentally triggered the second boss in a cave but then just ran away which unsummoned it, assuming I can summon it again in the future if I want.

As far as next steps go I think I would need to explore more to hit up the harder dungeon, and that probably requires better armor, but for me that's not enough motivation to keep playing so I will put the game aside until it has some more updates. I have a ton of gold coins and other than "explore more" I don't see any need for anything else in the game which has kind of sapped my enthusiasm to continue.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Koobze posted:

To add regarding Necesse, as far as I can tell when you reach the border of your home map tile you can just travel to any other island, you don't have to go to one of the direct neighbours.

The number of tiles away you can go should be set by your travel distance. You can raise it with items, and some travel items like scrolls let you go pretty far.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Necesse's map system is a lot of missed opportunity. There could be way more variety, but even with all the underground levels there's only so many unique ones

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's a slow period at work and there's not a lot of people in the office, so I have a lot of free time. What's a relatively light, preferably turn-based survival game I can hop in and out of relatively quickly? My usual go-to games for that are Unreal World and Cataclysm DDA/BN, but I've been playing those on and off for years and I've gotten a little bored of them.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Inadequately posted:

It's a slow period at work and there's not a lot of people in the office, so I have a lot of free time. What's a relatively light, preferably turn-based survival game I can hop in and out of relatively quickly? My usual go-to games for that are Unreal World and Cataclysm DDA/BN, but I've been playing those on and off for years and I've gotten a little bored of them.

I'd recommend Card Survival: Tropical Island, I've brought it up in thread before as a promising upstart, albeit with weird and very abstracted presentation and gameplay. I don't know why it's marketed as a card game cuz it's not, at all, it's just a weird aesthetic for your inventory/location.

It's had allot of content added to it with bi-weekly updates and is a pretty solid little survival game now, even if they are still finding the balance. Your stranded on a tropical island and have to survive to either establish a self-sufficient long term home and accept your fate, or escape on a raft and get rescued. Has farming, animal husbandry (still early functionality on that), extensive crafting and inventory management and getting hurt is a big deal.

More unique features of it I feel are: it doesn't end when you escape the island, you gotta survive on your raft till rescue which is a whole ordeal and learning how to raft good before finally setting off, as well as stocking and planning for the trip is really cool. And it goes pretty heavy into managing your mental health as a thing, which is rare in survival games, balance on that is still being worked tho. Making monkey friends is cool.

Metaprogression is unlocking traits to play with that can drastically increase/decrease difficulty, add weird gimmicks, fast track your start, effectively harden/soften features your (not) a fan of, or change your spawn location, all of which are optional and have almost no limitations to how you can mix and match them, make things as miserable or as easy as you want. Don't like grinding a specific skill up, just take a trait to make you start with it at a high level. Unlock points are simply gained for how many days/months you survive, banked on death/victory.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 8, 2022

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

I'd recommend Card Survival: Tropical Island, I've brought it up in thread before as a promising upstart, albeit with weird and very abstracted presentation and gameplay. I don't know why it's marketed as a card game cuz it's not, at all, it's just a weird aesthetic for your inventory/location.

It's had allot of content added to it with bi-weekly updates and is a pretty solid little survival game now, even if they are still finding the balance. Your stranded on a tropical island and have to survive to either establish a self-sufficient long term home and accept your fate, or escape on a raft and get rescued. Has farming, animal husbandry (still early functionality on that), extensive crafting and inventory management and getting hurt is a big deal.

More unique features of it I feel are: it doesn't end when you escape the island, you gotta survive on your raft till rescue which is a whole ordeal and learning how to raft good before finally setting off, as well as stocking and planning for the trip is really cool. And it goes pretty heavy into managing your mental health as a thing, which is rare in survival games, balance on that is still being worked tho. Making monkey friends is cool.

Metaprogression is unlocking traits to play with that can drastically increase/decrease difficulty, add weird gimmicks, fast track your start, effectively harden/soften features your (not) a fan of, or change your spawn location, all of which are optional and have almost no limitations to how you can mix and match them, make things as miserable or as easy as you want. Don't like grinding a specific skill up, just take a trait to make you start with it at a high level. Unlock points are simply gained for how many days/months you survive, banked on death/victory.

You make it sound so good but the screenshots make it look so bad. The presentation just looks so cheap and boring.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
NEO Scavenger, maybe?

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013

Having tried it based on your recommendation, it's a hard game to like. It feels like there's lot of stuff to do and a lot of depth, but the UI is just so bad. It's like trying to play an RTS with one of those laptops with the nipple mouse in the middle of the keyboard, it'd probably be fun but I'm not sure it's worth the effort of getting good at it

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
A shame, but understandable. I found it through the dev's last game, card quest, which had the exact same problem of looking like absolute poo poo but actually being fairly intricate and enjoyable if you can get past that, so was more willing to ignore the weird design out the gate. It's definitely... an acquired taste, haha.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flesh Forge posted:

maybe at some point my glands will run out of fear goop :shrug:

Splicer posted:

Mine didn't

as it turned out, neither did mine :negative: formless anxiety bleeding over into time when I'm not playing, for days. the game has beaten me!

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
In case anyone wanted to get in on ground floor, reminder that Empyrion HWS+ launches this Tuesday (2 days from now) after 1.5 years of off and on development. Assuming 1.8 is officially released on Tuesday and not delayed again. Or that Rexxus delays HWS+ longer.

Sandcastle Kicker discord is where we're going to be grouping up: https://discord.gg/Y5JPZ2qKAw

We don't know what exactly it'll look like, but the idea is that stuff like in this video of crushing our lego ships against each other is going to happen a lot. Video not ours since none of us have played recently. It's from JVI, one of the other factions that will probably be pvping on + though I think they're mostly on RE currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daHXCpYaGdw

Also prevalent will probably be pve raiding all new pois for elemental resources.

There's a pokemon type chart of varying values of elements with 5 turrets and 5 manual fire guns for each construct class for each element with different balance values for range and raw dps with very different special abilities, plus a few more switchable ones top, and 4-5 for each element for ground combat. A grand total of about 315 new elemental weapons vs vanilla's 30-40 or so. Nobody really knows how it's going to shake out especially since nobody knows how rare anything will be to get yet:

As close as Empyrion will get to giant space monsters any time soon? POI focused resource gathering? 34ish new non-vanilla resources including at least 4 non-elemental ones? King of the hill pvp objectives and hotspots. A whole lot of hand crafted instanced ground only pois for various things which are pretty fun but it's not known yet what role these will play with the new resources. More ground combat enemies? Some kind of stock market??? I dunno what that even will be. Project Eden POIs and factions may also be making an appearance on top of the handcrafted for pve raiding HWS ones.

HWS+ trailer from november:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqKVhl_4788

Even if it's bad it's probably going to be some fun exploratory chaos for a while starting out. I'd guess there's at least a month of fun to be had here minimum. And Rexxus is still committed to season wipes and has stated elemental stuff cannot be carried between seasons currently so balance stuff should be sortable if that's the main issue.

E: There's also some kind of new plant pot thing which is hopefully going to be plant automation.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 12, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can i be useful if i own empyrion but have never played it

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

queeb posted:

can i be useful if i own empyrion but have never played it
Absolutely. And even if you're not particularly useful, as long as you aren't a huge net waste of resources for no reason (learning is definitely a valid reason) it's fine just come have fun. Although it's really difficult to be a waste without intending to do so in Empyrion since there's not a player team limit and half the guns are turrets which track targets automatically.

There's also probably going to be a few people playing with us that won't really engage with the pvp stuff either. Just hanging out chatting with other people also enjoying the game and scenario, having a good time making lego ships, and going through the pve content (which seems like it will be substantial for + and is for RE).

Suzera fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 13, 2022

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Ooh, I want in on that, I was thinking of spinning empyrion anyways, but I'll wait for a overhaul like that!

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Ooh, I want in on that, I was thinking of spinning empyrion anyways, but I'll wait for a overhaul like that!
It's in two days so not a lot of waiting to do. Get in.

(It got delayed one day because Eleon is scheduled to release 1.8 on Wednesday now)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I've spent a little while on Vintage Story now, getting into autumn, and I'm generally enjoying it but holy poo poo I'm not sure if my worldgen is just particularly hosed or what. No flax anywhere. My entire surface rock layer is granite. Just, granite, sprinting multiple days out in any direction, granite and more granite. No lime to be able to treat hides with, and then trying to find any metal besides surface copper deposits is the most miserable, fruitless experience even with the mod that keeps permanent per-chunk records of everything you've prospected on the map. None of my caves lead to anything interesting whatsoever besides death, I've gone through a propick and a half with nothing to show for it except one potential zinc deposit underneath a loving lake, there's nothing I can make decent armor with, no traders who buy or sell anything I can make or want.

Can't wait for winter to set in at this rate.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Jawnycat posted:

And it goes pretty heavy into managing your mental health as a thing, which is rare in survival games, balance on that is still being worked tho. Making monkey friends is cool.
The implications of putting these statements next to each other are pretty funny

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I've spent a little while on Vintage Story now, getting into autumn, and I'm generally enjoying it but holy poo poo I'm not sure if my worldgen is just particularly hosed or what. No flax anywhere. My entire surface rock layer is granite. Just, granite, sprinting multiple days out in any direction, granite and more granite. No lime to be able to treat hides with, and then trying to find any metal besides surface copper deposits is the most miserable, fruitless experience even with the mod that keeps permanent per-chunk records of everything you've prospected on the map. None of my caves lead to anything interesting whatsoever besides death, I've gone through a propick and a half with nothing to show for it except one potential zinc deposit underneath a loving lake, there's nothing I can make decent armor with, no traders who buy or sell anything I can make or want.

Yeah sounds like you got a bit hosed on worldgen. I'd say just up and leave in a direction until you find something better or regen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah don’t be afraid to start over in Vintage Story.

Sometimes things just suck.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This honestly isn't too far off from how Terrafirmacraft envisioned it in the first place. Actually prospecting for ore is boring as hell in both games, and feels like there's no reason for it to be as hard or tedious as it is, because it adds nothing. Likewise both games have insanely huge biomes (or stone layers, whatever) for no discernible reason and if they were like a tenth the size and you could get more varied stone both to dig through and build with, it'd be for the best. Instead they spread them so wide you'll never reasonable travel between maybe two in your entire campaign, at least not without some sort of fast travel mod to get back.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah don’t be afraid to start over in Vintage Story.

Sometimes things just suck.

Also, consider drastically reducing the size of the world. It's something ridiculous, like 1 million blocks by default, which leads to larger biomes, or granite for days.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I think Vintage Story could do with some improvement in terms of knowing where to go for things, even if it's a vague "divination" kind of skill where you have a dousing rod or read tea-leaves or something that'd say "lots of copper a few days east" or similar.

I also didn't realize that the size of the world affected the size of the chunks, when I eventually get back to the game I will play with the settings some more to see what works best for me. When I first got into the game I cranked up the ore amounts significantly, and actually I restarted the same map (same seed with slightly changed settings, or sometimes reloading an early save) just so I could keep some knowledge of where things are without having a blank slate each time. I ended up burning out on the game after building a windmill attached to a quern, haven't domesticated any animals nor made steel yet so maybe after a few more updates to the game I'll try to get a bit farther. Overall the feeling of accomplishment when you get something working is great.

The game has a lot of promise but I would like to see more life in the world, and maybe some more animals and interaction between them. I downloaded a mod that added some animals like llamas or alpacas, but they made an awfully loud scream whenever you get anywhere near them which was annoying.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

MonkeyforaHead posted:

No translocators in those caves? If you could manage to find one it could take you somewhere better.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

juicefest posted:

No translocators in those caves? If you could manage to find one it could take you somewhere better.
In my experience they tend to be surrounded by strong drifters so you can't really just stroll in, plus they're very rare. As are the gears they need.
I almost want to just turn off drifters entirely because they're not fun and don't add much and the combat is somehow actually worse than Minecraft, but as soon as you do that you realize a lot of the stuff you were working towards in-game (like armor and weapons) suddenly don't have much reason to exist and so it cuts out a lot of drive. There's not quite enough pull to enjoy the game purely as settling and building.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MonkeyforaHead posted:

this was my first worldgen too, except I did get flax so no leather wasn't as big a deal. didn't even realize stones other than granite existed until I was in my first winter, and once I eventually found lime and bauxite I had to set up relay camps for the three-day hike to the nearest deposits. Never saw the likes of it again after I rolled a new world.

Vib Rib posted:

This honestly isn't too far off from how Terrafirmacraft envisioned it in the first place. Actually prospecting for ore is boring as hell in both games, and feels like there's no reason for it to be as hard or tedious as it is, because it adds nothing. Likewise both games have insanely huge biomes (or stone layers, whatever) for no discernible reason and if they were like a tenth the size and you could get more varied stone both to dig through and build with, it'd be for the best. Instead they spread them so wide you'll never reasonable travel between maybe two in your entire campaign, at least not without some sort of fast travel mod to get back.

the point is to make you adapt to what you have instead of just having everything all the time, so different playthroughs are actually somewhat different. unfortunately when you combine that with procgen and poorly defined limits it means occasionally you just don't have anything in your starting area. it is pretty funny that they bothered with the hot/cold biomes since you will basically never see them

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 14, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the point is to make you adapt to what you have instead of just having everything all the time, so different playthroughs are actually somewhat different.
You could still have that and also have like, ten stone types to build with instead of three or four. Having a different colored stone house isn't really going to change longevity one way or the other.
My playthroughs tended to be pretty much all the same anyway, in the sense I could never find any loving tin in any of them! There was never one where I was, say, swimming in tin, but couldn't find copper.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I still think of tin as the trap bronze option unless you get a lucky surface deposit. Finding sphalerite/bismuthinite or gold/silver in quartz (once you've got something to break quartz with, panning is good for the first black bronze pick) tends to provide far more bronze making materials given tin ore also has rather low amounts of tin per piece.

I had some fun for awhile building up a settlement and when achieving self-imposed rules on making a working house, stick a trader in it if I had encountered that trader type in the wild. It's simple to switch back and forth between game modes (type /gamemode xx and either cr for creative or sr for survival), and the traders are permanent so you don't have to worry about them despawning. I didn't figure out how to toggle local items as "owned" by the traders such that they'd interact with them as they do at the carts.

By bringing in traders, it meant I could have a supply of less obtainable items and remain in bronze tier essentially forever as long as I had the gears to trade, which as I also had bread aplenty I could sell that to get gears.

The whole trader thing of a cart in the middle of nowhere seemed odd to me, and if there was a settlement that was growing, it seemed logical that if provided enough benefits they'd be potentially keen to move in.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

Vib Rib posted:

In my experience they tend to be surrounded by strong drifters so you can't really just stroll in, plus they're very rare. As are the gears they need.

They're not particularly rare, in fact it's not unusual to find one just a short walk away from another.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

juicefest posted:

They're not particularly rare, in fact it's not unusual to find one just a short walk away from another.
If you say so. I wandered a lot and only found one. Like so many things I guess random generation just screwed me over.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I had a thought when creating a new world: surely if I create a smaller world the size of the "stone biomes" have to adjust at least somewhat to compensate, right?

Nope! :downs: Welcome to Sandstone World.

I did finally find a few errant flax seeds in my main world though, so there may be hope for it yet. Still going through pick after pick just trying to prospect any decent ore deposits, found what looks likely to be a tremendous copper deposit which I'm gonna need to keep my supply of picks going at this rate, unfortunately the chunk it's on is so unstable that I start rapidly losing stability even just above sea level. Joy! :v:

e: Oh good they're adding bears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJjifFq1NGY

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 15, 2022

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yess, bears.

I dunno, Vintage story seems to work out well for me, but I also loved TFC. Also I play online with a group so there's a lot more people to do exploring and prospecting. I'm a fan of going on 20 km runs for things though so that might color my expectations for biome size.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, making a trek to the tropics and coming back with souvenirs was a great experience on a small server I played on for a bit. And being able to accent my house with Rare Rocks from Distant Lands to flex of my more sedentary neighbors was amusing. Could also then trade them rare rocks, which are only rare cuz of the massive distance to them.

For solo play I shrink the world a bit, but yeah, servers massively benefit from the huge distances between stuff I feel; tho easier/earlier methods of spawn setting and distant travel would be welcome regardless.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is Vintage Story fun solo? I've been trying to find a survival / management / base building game that can suck me in again.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is Vintage Story fun solo? I've been trying to find a survival / management / base building game that can suck me in again.

I thought it was fun solo. There comes a point where it's going to be a terrible grind to get to the next level of materials solo (if you want to make steel), but it's not like there's any special enemies that need that level of metal or anything, you're mostly doing it just to say you did it at that point.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I got a good 30 hours in the Surviva: Fountain of Youth demo. Maybe give that a go.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I definitely enjoy it solo. I'd say to decrease world size to 256k and biome size down to a similar quarter amount. You can consider upping copper and tin surface deposits by one to reduce the grind. I also enjoy 125-150% ore generation. Prospecting pick search radius to 6 or 8, you'll want both prospecting pick actions available to help narrow down results.

I then have enjoyed populating the settlement I make - since I enjoy the building and designing aspects - with traders once I encounter them in the wild and build a proper home. Cuts down on silly travel time, also allows me to feel better doing random things like chiseling if I know that I can replenish various things via the traders I've "resettled" with the crops I'm growing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

I still think of tin as the trap bronze option unless you get a lucky surface deposit. Finding sphalerite/bismuthinite or gold/silver in quartz (once you've got something to break quartz with, panning is good for the first black bronze pick) tends to provide far more bronze making materials given tin ore also has rather low amounts of tin per piece.

I think a lot of people reflexively ignore these (I often do) because until very recently tin bronze was the only one you could make anything but lanterns with

Ya it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Black bronze spear is the best one iirc.