Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Oenis posted:

While we're plugging roguelike autobattlers (is that what we'll call them?) I just had a bunch of fun with the demo for boneraiser minions: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944570/Boneraiser_Minions/
Oh hey, it's by the Spirits Abyss guy! Knew the dev's name looked familiar. Pretty good stuff, both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
There is also https://store.steampowered.com/app/1914580/Spirit_Hunters_Infinite_Horde/ which is :fivecbux: and has a gigantic path of exile style tree to unlock upgrades, skills, characters, pets, additional levels and difficulties.

It seems pretty grindy, but the devs have been doing updates to balance skills and get rid of bugs. It supposed to have a new character and skill get added soon.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Spirit Hunters is interesting in that the heritage touchstone they wound up operating through is "Flash & Idle Era games"---which while obvious in hindsight that somebody was bound to, raises the question as to what all is left/next as surely a great many approaches yet remain. Hell, we've already got a double up chasing down "Horny & Fetish" between Beautiful Mystic and Last Monarch.

Based on what is happening in the deckbuilding scene and escalating, I await the madness potential of a VS'ish game dancing with reckless Wuxia/Xianxia abandon~

The new character is money based, so that should go a long way towards better establishing their creative vision and twists.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Raine posted:

i found the tower level (stage 4 i believe) to be easiest for busting out level 99's

make sure you incorporate a crown into your build to make it faster

minute 31 arcanas can be done without crimson shroud if you get the waltz of pearls and jail of crystal arcanas with evolved wand, runetracer, lance, and laurel (evolved axe and evolved fireball are my usual filler picks)

i'm pretty sure infinite corridor is something you DON'T want to take if you're trying for 31 minutes. one time i killed death too fast and the forced ending happened before i reached 31 minutes

i got killed by super death at 30:58 last time :mad:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

BrianRx posted:

Has anyone had luck with a passive build (i.e., one that doesn't require shooting)? It seems like it could work with the summons, glare, and fire and frost ammo (since they trigger on hit, not firing), but it falls apart when the elites show up. I haven't tried it with the upgraded dragon, but I feel like that's cheating.

I like that all of the characters are broken in their own ways. The one that fires all of their ammo in a circle is a lot of fun once projectile amount and elemental damage cross a certain threshold. Also cool that you can move while using it so you can hoover up all the experience that collects on the edge of the screen without letting up.

There's an achievement to win a round with her and the grenade launcher where you never shoot outside of the right click. I gave it a few tries and it was a little silly. I keep getting screwed over by powerups like increased projectiles that limit your movement, and the rune that gives you 10s of infinite ammo every 50 kills so you're trying to avoid a torrent of explosions in every direction.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Capella Magna and the Drowner are loving stupid. What a dumb level and idea.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Jelly posted:

Capella Magna and the Drowner are loving stupid. What a dumb level and idea.

So I take it you didn't find the rosaries.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

EclecticTastes posted:

Certainly not early enough to quench my rage. I just went hard on the dagger instead which worked.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Lesser pick-ups like the Rosary are marked on the map now, for future reference. They're a few tiles south of your starting position.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EclecticTastes posted:

Lesser pick-ups like the Rosary are marked on the map now, for future reference. They're a few tiles south of your starting position.

alternately get arcana 5

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know people who take Mad Forest and they are cowards.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

alternately get arcana 5

That's playing with fire. Rosaries aren't that common, so if you accidentally get too close and use up all three, you're screwed.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Post minute 30 in Capella Magna is raw pain, even with fully evolved shroud and tunnel, I still went down to how many minideaths swarm you.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

EclecticTastes posted:

Putting all three of the rosaries south of the start is kind of a dick move, since you can't go south once the drowner shows up

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I didn't know about the gimmick of that level and still ended up winning on my first try by just running up for like 20 minutes. :dukedoge:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I really like the Vandalier as a weapon but I'm convinced it's impossible to build early because the birds are so weak/random they can't carry you to the evolution phase. You really need to frontload a safer evolution first.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EclecticTastes posted:

That's playing with fire. Rosaries aren't that common, so if you accidentally get too close and use up all three, you're screwed.

Idk that’s how i did it, diving as fast as i could to make sure i was in control of the situation at a 2 minute boundary

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Idk that’s how i did it, diving as fast as i could to make sure i was in control of the situation at a 2 minute boundary

Don't get me wrong, I've done it that way, too, I just also accidentally hoovered up one of my Rosaries and really had to walk on eggshells at every two-minute point to avoid the others. Plus I had to avoid the Attractorb like the plague.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Foo posted:

alternately get arcana 5

Laurel will also let you survive the water.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got the evolved lancet and laurel and killed red death. Am I missing something? I was expecting a character unlock or a bonus stage or cutscene or something.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mescal posted:

I got the evolved lancet and laurel and killed red death. Am I missing something? I was expecting a character unlock or a bonus stage or cutscene or something.

you should've unlocked red death as a playable character yeah

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey which weapons are effected by duration?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Holy bible (but not the evolution, afaik), runetracer and evo, song of mana and evo, holy water and evo, I think lancet and laurel, bone, cherry bomb, flowers, and probably one of two other weapons I've forgotten.

I think the pinions and lighter are affected too? I don't pick them up very often.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cats and birds also do.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Cheers. The wiki is incredibly unhelpful on this point; it says that most weapons don't benefit from duration, but the ones that do, benefit tremendously - and nothing else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kazzah posted:

Cheers. The wiki is incredibly unhelpful on this point; it says that most weapons don't benefit from duration, but the ones that do, benefit tremendously - and nothing else.
You have to go the other way, each weapon has a table showing you what passives affect it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I did find a Rosary and it didn't kill the Drowner. Yes, it was on screen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It'll be dead any minute now, I'm sure.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mescal posted:

Fwiw I had to restart the game like three times before the character unlock actually showed up for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

It'll be dead any minute now, I'm sure.

Stop torturing yourself and use the evolved lancet.

Edit:

As far as "Vampire Survivors clones" go, here's my take:

20 Minutes till dawn:
It's okay, currently theres just one meta which is elemental synergy effects, there isnt really anything else worth going for atm. I hope patches improve it, also the sound effect on picking up XP sucks, its incredibly boring. I'm also sure the music is some stock free to use stuff.

Spirit Hunters Infinite Horde:
I had a lot of fun with this, 30 hours playtime. It is however very, very grindy and meta unlocks absolutely gate your progress with the higher stages. Also the weapon balance is all over the place and theres a lot of broken stuff / bugs. The upgrade selection can be frustrating since you have to pick up 4 weapons and every one of them has 4x10 levels of upgrades and you only can pick from 4 selections each levelup. Which leads to frustration when youre not getting the one you want.

Boneraiser Minions:
Very fun little demo. A bit unstable, had crashes. But I love the idea of a necromancer horde instead of weapons. Currently very little content, you'll see everything in 1-2 hours, but its a super early alpha build.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 15, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Stop torturing yourself and use the evolved lancet.

I am.

EDIT: Wait, no I'm not. I don't know why I thought that I did.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 15, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

I am.

EDIT: Wait, no I'm not. I don't know why I thought that I did.
Infinite Tunnel Vision

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I see I'm late to the party with the new upgrades to lancet and laurel (and my collection of 30 deaths). Also did anyone find the fisheye effect in moongolow as bad for them as it was for me. The rest of the game with flashing lights is fine but that effect got to me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
20MTD:

Turns out the starting character is the best because sometimes you get to triple Fusillade and then take Tome of Rage:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

20MTD

And if aiming is not your thing and you want more of a Vampire Survivors experience, just pick Abby and the Bat-Gun.

https://i.imgur.com/yAOhT5G.mp4

Still can't figure out how to make good use of the grenade launcher, it's too high-risk and it gets worse with a lot of otherwise good upgrades like "Shoot one projectile behind you" or "Killed enemies split into clusters of smaller projectiles".

Maybe one of the chest rewards grants immunity against the explosions?
Oh wait, those rewards are character based, not weapon based, so probably not.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 16, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

mcbexx posted:

20MTD

And if aiming is not your thing and you want more of a Vampire Survivors experience, just pick Abby and the Bat-Gun.

https://i.imgur.com/yAOhT5G.mp4

Still can't figure out how to make good use of the grenade launcher, it's too high-risk and it gets worse with a lot of otherwise good upgrades like "Shoot one projectile behind you" or "Killed enemies split into clusters of smaller projectiles".

Maybe one of the chest rewards grants immunity against the explosions?

Combine it with the summon(s?) that deal damage based on your gun damage for maximum hilarity. Avoid upgrades that splinter it up and clone more bombs, it's too risky.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Mendrian posted:

Combine it with the summon(s?) that deal damage based on your gun damage for maximum hilarity. Avoid upgrades that splinter it up and clone more bombs, it's too risky.

Piercing is bad, Bullet size (also effects the explosion radius) is bad... Grenades just limit your options waaay too much.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is 20m balanced any differently than the 10m demo? In the demo I found myself either doing damage but being slow as poo poo it quick but hitting with a feather.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I was really wondering how you were supposed to use the bat gun, it fires way too slow for any character EXCEPT Abby.

It's almost too easy to win with her, I've been trying to get a win with the first character, who can only reroll upgrades. It turns out she gets a special chest upgrade that gives you a bunch of bullet upgrades, but it's still hard to stay alive without some sort of damaging gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

mcbexx posted:

Piercing is bad, Bullet size (also effects the explosion radius) is bad... Grenades just limit your options waaay too much.

I would say that piercing and bullet speed are the way to go. Ideally, you want to get to a place where you aren't moving and keeping the edges of the screen covered in large explosions. You have to be carefully about the upgrade path, but movement seems to be suicidal when the ranged enemies show up because it's too hard to determine what you can sidestep and what you need to get far away from. The biggest hurdle to me so far has been the second boss; he moves around so much and causes you to do the same so you're at high risk of getting charged or stepping on your own grenades.

I suppose elemental damage/summons are off the table for the achievement? Being able to aim with the summons or fire ammo would make this a lot easier. Also the freeze ammo and the dragon, but those are pretty broken in any build and at any darkness level that I have reached.