Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I got to do my high school World Religions presentation on Discordianism. I found some ritual where I handed out donut and we did a chant about how good they are. The teacher was like that’s fun and no one is ever doing that as their topic again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I wonder if the discordians have a discord I could join.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Mega Comrade posted:

If you are referencing the University of Reading one using Eugene Goostman then many AI researchers don't accept it as passing as it the test was only 5 minutes and the 30% thing is argued over. Turing never set that as a requirement, it was just in his prediction that by 2000 people would "not have more than 70 per cent chance" of identifying a computer, and some people have decided to interpret it that way as it makes it easier to beat.

Yah the whole trick were the computer pretends to be dumb or not speak the language is more of a cheat than a breakthrough in AI. I’ve heard the 30% of the time explained as a machine intelligence would probably be very different from a human intelligence.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Honestly, I think that Blake Lemoine's core point isn't bad: we don't have a way to assess machine sentience, and machine intelligence might be very different from human intelligence (and thus hard to recognize). I don't think that we are harming a sentient being in this case, but after reading the transcript, I can understand why Lemoine might come to that conclusion. Probably big AI companies should start thinking about these things more seriously, and have policies in place well before we reach general artificial intelligence.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That would be a reasonable precaution if we lived in a post-scarcity utopia, but we don't and it is so tremendously unlikely that we will create general AI during the lifetime of our civilization that it would be a tremendous waste of resources at this point

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

unlikely that we will create general AI during the lifetime of our civilization
gently caress that, get some GAI online. if I have to live in this hellworld, so does a robomind

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress that, get some GAI online. if I have to live in this hellworld, so does a robomind

I Have No Mouth, And I Must Fellate Capitalists

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

blunt posted:

Totally open to the possibility he's not telling the full truth (for example I don't believe that LAMDA is sentient!). But there's also a recent pattern of senior Google AI researchers leaving after research disagreements, so I'm pretty open to the possibility that some of these complaints about how Google's handling it in general have merit.

He's a guy who likes a lot of attention and he saw that the AI researchers were getting a lot of attention for leaving.

If he thinks that the chatbot is sentient then he is wildly unqualified to define responsible AI.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/varlogsimon/status/1537381252143128578?s=20

https://twitter.com/varlogsimon/status/1537412367948079106?s=20

quote:

On the website of University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center, for example, clicking the “Schedule Online” button on a doctor’s page prompted the Meta Pixel to send Facebook the text of the button, the doctor’s name, and the search term we used to find her: “pregnancy termination.”

Javascript was a mistake

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

it's almost like the current web is designed with the purpose to leak as much information about you as possible to third parties. gee I wonder how that happened.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Please, please tell me that this is finally an actually HIPAA violation and someone's going to get in trouble for it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Please, please tell me that this is finally an actually HIPAA violation and someone's going to get in trouble for it.

*monkey paw curls*

the reporter has been jailed for HIPAA violations for revealing the healthcare details of the META corporation (a person)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

*monkey paw curls*

the reporter has been jailed for HIPAA violations for revealing the healthcare details of the META corporation (a person)

That sounds more likely than anyone responsible getting a comeuppance, honestly. :smith:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm a little confused as to why MetaPixel was on the hospital page in the first place. Was the hospital trying to have Facebook integration on their website? Or was it pulled in as part of some dependency? Or something else?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

I'm a little confused as to why MetaPixel was on the hospital page in the first place. Was the hospital trying to have Facebook integration on their website? Or was it pulled in as part of some dependency? Or something else?

watch it be "accidentally" built into the react framework secretly somehow. most likely because whoever built the application was told to add Facebook integration lol.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

Could be part of any dependent packages. Could very well be more than 1!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Twitter person isn't covered by HIPAA. It's explicitly only for healthcare providers, insurance companies, etc. And you can't violate your own privacy under the law.

I assume you were joking, but a lot of people don't understand those details. Like, if I randomly find your medical file on the side of the road and post on the internet that you take boner pills and horse laxatives, I'm not violating HIPAA.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The Twitter person isn't covered by HIPAA. It's explicitly only for healthcare providers, insurance companies, etc. And you can't violate your own privacy under the law.

I assume you were joking, but a lot of people don't understand those details. Like, if I randomly find your medical file on the side of the road and post on the internet that you take boner pills and horse laxatives, I'm not violating HIPAA.

Oh, I don't think he'd be covered by HIPAA, I'm just thinking back to that whatever governor who was going to put a journalist in prison for hacking for finding that the state website was leaking teachers` SSNs. So in this case, hospitals report a violation of CFAA by the Tweeter and get off scott free.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingofRock posted:

Google/Facebook/etc. make a lot of money off sourcing data, FB was likely just used as an API to funnel that data. Which is hugely bad.

This is roughly what happened with Ascension Health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nightingale

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 16, 2022

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I saw this now you have to suffer as well

https://twitter.com/TheFigen/status/1537145721442410497

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

.....so a train. They want a train.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

What if a train, but way less safe?

Don't worry, it has.... weird inflatable external padding that pops out when the bottom is hit, although it's nowhere near the bottom.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

No, see, that's a train with only one door, that tips over easily and kills bystanders and passengers in the process. But! It comes with large marshmallows.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

CommieGIR posted:

A train that gets to play on the highway and on the massive pedestrian paths.
After it has played by the ocean and in a desert. Without accumulating salt water corrosion or sand anywhere.
It will also occasionally try to crush those beneath it simply because it needs to do so to get past a bridge. I'm sure everyone will behave calmly and rationally when the crushomatic decides to squeeze anyone beneath it in order to stick to its strict timetable.

It will apparently also plow straight through accident sites, ignoring any potential hazards that may block its path at high altitude and then exacerbate the accident and just firing off air bags at anyone and anything around it, sending people and debris flying at shotgun speeds. I can't wait to see it in operation.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

no no no, you see it is a luxury transpod with vertical traffic bypass features.

I love that they have the tracks implemented in the road between regular lanes with no protection or method for the cars to not be demolished when the not train speeds by them. the resulting crash then causes the giant structure to collapse off its stilt legs and crushes an additional 12 cars.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

CommieGIR posted:

Google/Facebook/etc. make a lot of money off sourcing data, FB was likely just used as an API to funnel that data. Which is hugely bad.

This is roughly what happened with Ascension Health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Nightingale

It's really not. Nightingale was an explicit agreement to hand over the patient data to Google, whereas the Meta Pixel stuff is for analytics and tracking. It's a tool designed to let the site owner track things like people clicking on their facebook ad, and then seeing what they do next when they get to the website. Of course, since it's Facebook the whole thing is designed to hoover up as much data as possible, and again since it's Facebook it's probably reasonable to imagine the worst possible case for what they choose to do with that data, but the hospitals here aren't deliberately or knowingly sending it across (e: "it" being the patient data here, they know they're sending the click info). That's still negligent on the hospital's part though.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 16, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
How does it stay up?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I drew this design in 5th grade.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/872144967350632448

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I love the bit where pedestrians are walking inches away from the track with zero safety measures separating them from being smeared over the rail.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

They probably wanted to track people's interactions with the site (what browser they use, how long they stay on each page, which buttons they click the most). MetaPixel will happily gather all that info for them, but it sends it off to Facebook to be processed into pretty spreadsheets and infographics that they can view in a control panels somewhere in Facebook For Business. Google Analytics works essentially the same way.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

How are u posted:

How does it stay up?

Gyroscopes i guess. Another thing that could fail catastrophically.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Personally I prefer teleporters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

There Bias Two posted:

I love the bit where pedestrians are walking inches away from the track with zero safety measures separating them from being smeared over the rail.

You mean a subway stop?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I know a Dahir Insaat video when I see it, I'm a big fan of their Earthquake Bed that devours you whole.

They're just patent trolls that really want Putin to give them money

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mister Facetious posted:

You mean a subway stop?

At least in subway stops there are gaps. You couldn't idly walk into the path of the vehicle without falling onto the rails. That's not the case here.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Say what you will about the unstable saucer design, the ridiculous pneumatic parts, or the frankly dangerous monorail placement, but I am 100% here for the 30 second service intervals.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I loled at the placement immediately below the unstable sea cliff.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Bellmaker posted:

I know a Dahir Insaat video when I see it, I'm a big fan of their Earthquake Bed that devours you whole.
Indeed, enjoy 20 minutes of stilt buses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4DwcrE658

Or more transportation of the future, like flying trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJ0KGAIM_w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Rebel Blob posted:

Indeed, enjoy 20 minutes of stilt buses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC4DwcrE658

Or more transportation of the future, like flying trains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZJ0KGAIM_w

Like 200 years ago the train, an extremely efficient method of land transportation, was invented. A hundred years later a bunch of people said “I don’t want to share with poors” and now we are cursed until the end of time to try to make “trains but not for poor people.”