Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

incogneato posted:

We've had the same decent but not amazing 47" LG for over 10 years, but I have no idea if that kind of lifespan is unusual or not.

My previous Samsung TV was the only device of theirs that received updates past year three (pretty much every year in fact), and not having a battery that's guaranteed to eventually die inside really helps.

Honestly as long as they don't have faulty capacitors a TV should last fifteen, twenty years easy.
Though I guess units with Full Array Local Dimming also have dead LED backlights to contend with too.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

Just bought an "excellent" open box LG G1. Gonna snag a 5 year warranty as well.
Hopefully it's worth it!

Picked up the G1. The folks at Best Buy were super nice. They gave me a free mounting kit, asked if I was going to mount right away and I said I didn't know. They gave me a free swivel stand as well.

Signed up for the $200/year tech support plan since I intend on buying more from them and a standard warranty for just the TV was $180.

The picture is absolutely amazing and even the speakers are quite decent. Got the sound system running anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That tech subscription includes them mounting it for free if you go that route. My folks did and are extremely happy with the results.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

GreenNight posted:

That tech subscription includes them mounting it for free if you go that route. My folks did and are extremely happy with the results.

...gently caress.
Wish I had known that instead of spending two hours yesterday doing it myself.

Did you know that a 65" TV, even when extremely thin is loving heavy, awkward and near impossible to rack on a mount when you can't see what's happening?

Oh well. It was my first time doing a wall mount. This old house used the 16" between studs as merely a suggestion. I got it mounted properly but it took a while to figure out the exact spacing. Was expecting it to be broken on the floor this morning but it's still hanging on!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Go read what’s all included in the sub. Buy security cams from BB? They’ll install them for free. Bunch of other stuff.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

How bad are "smart" TVs these days with ads and things? Should I just never connect it to the internet and use some sort of Roku / Firestick system?

I've seen random stories saying inventories for TVs are high and so prices are low, I'm thinking I may use the opportunity to get a mid-size TV for my office, any good recommendations? Horizontal space for it would be maybe 4 feet. Appreciate any recommendations!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they are pretty horrible. there's the tracking, the bad web coding, and then there are the ads

i connect mine for firmware updates through ethernet and then yank it out when i'm done, and use an apple tv

apple tv doesn't support plex hdr afaict which sucks, but other than that, it works pretty well. there're also rumours they'll release a cheaper stick later this year

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Horizontal space for it would be maybe 4 feet. Appreciate any recommendations!

Pythagoras says you can fit a 55", so I'd recommend an A/B/C1 series oled on clearance if you can find one. Their prices are really attractive right now in the States.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So... your are worried about interface ads and your solution is to run a Roku or Fire stick?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

bull3964 posted:

So... your are worried about interface ads and your solution is to run a Roku or Fire stick?

Ah is there just no good solution then? I have an alexa set to mine that has relatively minor ads but I've heard horror stories.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Ah is there just no good solution then? I have an alexa set to mine that has relatively minor ads but I've heard horror stories.

Android TV device. You can replace launcher, block ads, etc.
Or on WebOS you can assign number keys on remote to launch apps so you don't have to interact with homescreen.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I would think if you are looking for less ads and tracking you would probably be better off with an Apple TV or getting an android tv and customizing it as the user before me mentioned.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

MikusR posted:

Android TV device. You can replace launcher, block ads, etc.

This. I have a Sony TV with an Android interface. I haven't had to do anything with it in terms of ad blocking and the only ads I see are is one scrolling ad across the top for different shows/movies. I've found this pretty acceptable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The 65" A1 is $999 shipped from Best Buy: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/550635?c_id=6629&u_id=67424549&d=062022

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Do people really have issues with ads? I have a LG 55CX and a LG 55C1 and I don't know if I've seen ads on it. If I have, I never noticed them.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Some people consider the suggested viewing ribbons on the webos home screen to be a form of advert too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Use Kodi

My C1 does not have problem with ads since it isn't connected to any network.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I have no problem with ads on my B7 and it's been ethernet connected since day 1.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its not the ads themselves, people are just paranoid about all the always on voice recording listening for your inputs. Which, yes, are terrible and would never be allowed in any sort of civilized world where 98% of people aren't just the engine that drives the capitalist doom machine

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

drat, this is tempting. What’s the biggest shortcoming of the A1 vs the C1? Is it that the A1 is only 60Hz, so it can’t do proper 24p playback?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

Some people consider the suggested viewing ribbons on the webos home screen to be a form of advert too.

Suggested viewing ribbons from services that are not even installed are ads.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Yeah. I've had the G1 a few days now. Is webos supposed to be slow at all?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat, this is tempting. What’s the biggest shortcoming of the A1 vs the C1? Is it that the A1 is only 60Hz, so it can’t do proper 24p playback?

60hz, less bright, no VRR.

I have one from Costco for that price and it is fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

60hz doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t do real 24fps. Many 60hz TVs will underclock to 48hz for native 24p content. Rtings says the A1 has judder free 24fps from a 24fps source so it must be able to do that. It can’t, however, extract 24fps cadence from a 60p or 60i signal.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I have a Vizio P55-F1 that's a few years old. The local dimming zones started randomly flickering on and off about a year ago and it seems to be a very common fault for this model. It's out of warranty. I assume there's no easy fix here?

Tried to buy a LG C2 yesterday to replace it and they sold it to me and then after waiting in my car for 30 minutes was told they don't actually have it, was real fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It seems fine to me during setup but after the first day I went back to my Chromecast and it's been all peachy.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah, it's real slow for me on my C1. I suggest setting up the quick buttons which makes it so you don't have to go to the Home Screen which is the slowest part of the OS. So like, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime have buttons at the bottom, but you can set up the 1-8 buttons to act the same way for HDMI ports and other apps, when you long hold them. So for me, long pressing 1 brings up HDMI 1 which is my Cable box, 2 is Hulu, 3 is HBO Max, etc. all the way down to 7 which is HDMI 2 (Nintendo Switch) and 8 which is HDMI 3 (Xbox).

If you remember, WebOS was originally owned by HP and they used it on their original tablet (HP TouchPad) and it was bad even back then. HP filed for bankruptcy and as a part of that, they tried to sell their tablet division, but the only part of it that sold was the operating system, WebOS, to LG for use on their TVs. So you really shouldn't expect much from it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I pulled the plug on a C1 because I was able to get it for 1400 due to discounts. Watching the scenes where Gandalf comes to Helms Deep with his staff of light is literally blinding, I'm surprised it gets as bright as it does. It's almost painful. Holy poo poo.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac posted:

It seems fine to me during setup but after the first day I went back to my Chromecast and it's been all peachy.

Fremry posted:

Yeah, it's real slow for me on my C1. I suggest setting up the quick buttons which makes it so you don't have to go to the Home Screen which is the slowest part of the OS. So like, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime have buttons at the bottom, but you can set up the 1-8 buttons to act the same way for HDMI ports and other apps, when you long hold them. So for me, long pressing 1 brings up HDMI 1 which is my Cable box, 2 is Hulu, 3 is HBO Max, etc. all the way down to 7 which is HDMI 2 (Nintendo Switch) and 8 which is HDMI 3 (Xbox).

If you remember, WebOS was originally owned by HP and they used it on their original tablet (HP TouchPad) and it was bad even back then. HP filed for bankruptcy and as a part of that, they tried to sell their tablet division, but the only part of it that sold was the operating system, WebOS, to LG for use on their TVs. So you really shouldn't expect much from it.

For sure, I set up things similarly even before noticing just how ratchet the ui is. lmao that's where webos originated.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LorneReams posted:

I pulled the plug on a C1 because I was able to get it for 1400 due to discounts. Watching the scenes where Gandalf comes to Helms Deep with his staff of light is literally blinding, I'm surprised it gets as bright as it does. It's almost painful. Holy poo poo.

This... doesn't sound right

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I pulled the plug on my indecision which is what I was saying out loud as I typed that.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I blocked a bunch of the LG sites through my router, and now webos functions a lot faster. Much cleaner interface on the home screen too.

cdpbeacon.lgtvcommon.com
cdpsvc.lgtvcommon.com
homeprv.lgtvcommon.com
nudge.lgtvcommon.com
rdl.lgtvcommon.com
recommend.lgtvcommon.com
lgsmartad.com
service.lgtvcommon.com

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

For sure, I set up things similarly even before noticing just how ratchet the ui is. lmao that's where webos originated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZOKjYcGUCQ&t=243s

yospos lunatic: "webOS belongs on a phone!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I blocked a bunch of the LG sites through my router, and now webos functions a lot faster. Much cleaner interface on the home screen too.

cdpbeacon.lgtvcommon.com
cdpsvc.lgtvcommon.com
homeprv.lgtvcommon.com
nudge.lgtvcommon.com
rdl.lgtvcommon.com
recommend.lgtvcommon.com
lgsmartad.com
service.lgtvcommon.com

Added this post to the OP under smart features.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the reminder that I need to get a PiHole on my network

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you install DD-WRT on your router it'll also let you do that

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Fremry posted:

I remember really liking WebOS on those old Palm phones, I feel like it was the first mobile OS to have any kind of decent way to handle app switching, and now Android and Apple both basically use that same card system that started there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Okay does anyone need the two 'feet' stand thing for a Hisense U88G? I have mine wall mounted and these things are sitting around and it feels weird just tossing them out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I kept mine and I'm glad I did for when I got a better TV I was able to sell it with the feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I kept mine and I'm glad I did for when I got a better TV I was able to sell it with the feet.

That's actually a really great point, I'll throw them in my storage locker.