Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

still my biggest gripes that Doctor Octopus didn't get a Leader designation for Spider-Foes (Sinister Six boss for ages) and The Hood not getting a crime syndicate leadership when he's pretty much the godfather of a huge operation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Leadership abilities seems to be a bit of a weak spot. A dud leadership skill is a huge hinderance on a faction. And it seems like because they put it on the character card, they expect the leader to pay for the cost of the leadership skill, which makes it undesirable to take them without them being the leader.

Which is to say, in 2.0 I hope they take those off the card and put them on the affiliation itself, albeit still tied to a character.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

They tried that already, right? That's what The Bar With No Doors is. I could see that working in several of the other factions. A Heart Shaped Herb card that can be used by X Wakandan characters to take leadership, or The Odinforce for good Asgard and the Casket of Ancient Winters for bad.

Honestly that'd be a neat design space anyway, allowing for weird new faction creation off of faction-agnostic leadership cards. All leading a faction as Zemo because he got his hands on the Tactigon, or as Bob, Agent of Hydra armed incongruously with The Ultimate Nullifier.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Plenty of leaders are perfectly viable outside of their affiliation, and there doesn't seem to be much of a "leader tax" in practice. Sam Wilson is an amazing support piece in a lot of affiliations, Cyclops is a solid 4 threat character even if you ignore his leadership (and you should, it sucks). Cable sees plenty of play outside X-Force and likewise Doctor Strange outside Defenders, and Black Panther is in all sorts of lists. Magneto and She-Hulk less so, because Hulk is generally more splashable at the 6 threat level, but they're perfectly fine 6 threat characters in-affiliation. There are of course some duds, such as the entirety of Black Bolt, or Storm's non-leadership traits, but that pretty comfortably falls within normal design variance of some characters being better than others. And of course, Thanos is a great addition to any tall attrition team, not just Black Order.

Quick rundown of the leaders in the game
Amazing Spider-Man: Overshadowed by miles in-affiliation, but a very strong 5 threat anyway
Black Bolt: Garbage
Black Panther: Strong 4 threat that is widely splashed
Blade: Really decent, but I haven't seen him much
Cable: Strong, possibly even better in Avengers than X-Force
Steve Rogers: Strong 4 threat, but people prefer to splash Sam
Sam Wilson: Used anywhere heavy-hitting slow movers find their home
Cyclops: Garbage leadership, but a very unique and useful 4 threat body
Doctor Strange: Not as common as the Sorcerer Supreme variant, but still used outside Defenders (not that anyone uses Defenders)
Dormammu: Literally can't be splashed
Green Goblin: Pretty middling, haven't ever seen him outside Spider-Foes
Hulkbuster: Rarely used for his leadership, strong 6 threat character
Kingpin: I've never seen him splashed
Magneto: Very strong attrition character, but most people splashing a 6 threat go for Hulk or Hulkbuster
Mystique: Unique and useful 3 threat. Not very common outside Brotherhood, but she really should be
Nick Fury: Great character with Grunts, not uncommon to see splashed
Red Skull: Basically only used for Cabal Leadership
Shadowland Daredevil: Splashed slightly less often than Fury, but still a great 4 threat character with grunts so definitely sees splash play
She-Hulk: Overshadowed by Hulk in-slot, but not bad
Sin: Generally not very good, even in-affiliation
Miles: Fantastic character, great leadership, and is splashed anywhere that needs cheap displacement at range
Star-Lord: Not splashed, but good in-affiliation
Storm: Not splashed, has a weak body
Thanos: Splashed to hell and back, one of the best models in the game even outside Black Order
Thor: Haven't seen him outside Asgard

Of the 25 leaders, at least 10 are excellent off-affiliation picks, and most of the rest are perfectly viable without their leadership

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Glad to be wrong.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sorry what does splash mean again?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Splash means to include something outside of your affiliation. For example, if you are running an xmen list but include Thanos in your roster. You can also have splash affiliations, where you bring enough models in your roster to run an affiliation, but usually play some other affiliation. For example, if a roster was 7 xmen plus thanos, corvus, and proxima. The idea behind splashes is to cover some weakness in your "makn" group

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

it's also a headfake to your opponent, since your 10 are known but not the squad you're fielding. If you have 2 leaders in your 10 and could conceivably field either with a legal squad they can't quite know what they're up against. this is why Dormammu is always my 10th figure.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thanks much!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You might also see people refer to that style of list as "dual affiliation", it's fairly common to see.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nearly all lists will splash a few out-of-affiliation characters, as most don't even have 10 and even the ones that do can usually benefit from a few imports. Fully dual-affiliation lists are quite a bit less common.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Hey my Midnight Sons and Convocation list is apparently also a Defenders list. Good times.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I have been thinking of trying to build a convocation/sons dual list but I'm finding tactics cards really hard. You also end up quite pinched for slots too. Convocation is greedy.

On the other hand my friend has been experimenting with spiderfoes/syndicate dual affiliation and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. "New" Goblin looks really fun. I just wish Doc Oc was a touch better. I probably shouldn't compare every 3 threat to Zemo and Taskmaster, love those two.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Yeah they both really want cards. I had to make some tough calls to get basics in there but still have like Deal with the Devil and Siege of Darkness.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hoboskins posted:

I have been thinking of trying to build a convocation/sons dual list but I'm finding tactics cards really hard. You also end up quite pinched for slots too. Convocation is greedy.

On the other hand my friend has been experimenting with spiderfoes/syndicate dual affiliation and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. "New" Goblin looks really fun. I just wish Doc Oc was a touch better. I probably shouldn't compare every 3 threat to Zemo and Taskmaster, love those two.

Doc Ock is a tank, wants to grab an objective and sit on a point and durdle around. there aren't a ton of 3 threat characters that have a character throw

Zemo on the other hand is an offensive piece with charge and rerolls. with a long move

they fill different niches but Zemo is generically more useful

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Doc Ock is a tank, wants to grab an objective and sit on a point and durdle around. there aren't a ton of 3 threat characters that have a character throw

Zemo on the other hand is an offensive piece with charge and rerolls. with a long move

they fill different niches but Zemo is generically more useful

I would compare Ock more directly to Lizard and I think he loses out there, but not by a ton and being a medium-base medium-move is inherently strong. He's not the worst 3 you take just because they're in-affiliation, but it does sting a bit in an affiliation as small as Foes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

admanb posted:

I would compare Ock more directly to Lizard and I think he loses out there, but not by a ton and being a medium-base medium-move is inherently strong. He's not the worst 3 you take just because they're in-affiliation, but it does sting a bit in an affiliation as small as Foes.

Who is? Moon Knight? Bullseye?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

admanb posted:

he does get a tactics card that is p-good with goblin so there's that at least

also I never realized you're a goon. I've seen you on the tts discord

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

theironjef posted:

Moon Knight's great! And Bullseye is a 2 now.

Good question, though. Maybe he is the worst. Well-Laid Plans definitely helps.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I dunno Viper is pretty down there. mostly pushed out by the other L movers in affiliation

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

theironjef posted:

Viper is widely considered the worst 3 threat. Bullseye was, but he got bumped down to 2 threat. Sin is also considered pretty bad

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

he does get a tactics card that is p-good with goblin so there's that at least

also I never realized you're a goon. I've seen you on the tts discord

haha yeah when I'm fixated on a game I love talking about it so I'm everywhere.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

3 threats in general are in a good spot. Even the worst 3 threats aren't terrible. Theres no 3 threat as bad for its threat as original daredevil is for 4, or black bolt for 5 threat

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think 4s have the largest quantity of "not quite there" models, but 5s have some absolute trash.

In general I think 4s are the hardest to balance because they're not cheap enough that you're gonna run more than 1 or 2 but they're not expensive enough to be the boomstick of your list. Also, you can very often get 5 die attacks out of 3s and you don't usually get 6 dice until 5s, so 4s have to do something special to have the right offensive output for their value.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

admanb posted:

I think 4s have the largest quantity of "not quite there" models, but 5s have some absolute trash.

In general I think 4s are the hardest to balance because they're not cheap enough that you're gonna run more than 1 or 2 but they're not expensive enough to be the boomstick of your list. Also, you can very often get 5 die attacks out of 3s and you don't usually get 6 dice until 5s, so 4s have to do something special to have the right offensive output for their value.

Which 5s would you say are trash? Other than black bolt, they're mostly fine. Jean underperforms a bit but isnt terrible

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

Which 5s would you say are trash? Other than black bolt, they're mostly fine. Jean underperforms a bit but isnt terrible

Jean is one for me. Her damage output doesn't match up to most 5s with a 5-die builder and only a M range throw. She has no mobility or defensive tech to speak of and will explode if a physical attacker looks at her. Shield Mind is solid but it's not powerful enough to make up for the rest. And Nova's the other one -- similar issue with 5-die builder, no extra offense, no defensive tech besides stealth, and no mobility.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

admanb posted:

Jean is one for me. Her damage output doesn't match up to most 5s with a 5-die builder and only a M range throw. She has no mobility or defensive tech to speak of and will explode if a physical attacker looks at her. Shield Mind is solid but it's not powerful enough to make up for the rest. And Nova's the other one -- similar issue with 5-die builder, no extra offense, no defensive tech besides stealth, and no mobility.

Counterpoint, Jean can move activated models. That plus shield mind makes her great at stand on secures. She's not top tier, but definitely has a role.

Nova is a bit rough, but her mind possession attack combos extremely well with her trap power, and she can hand out punishing root conditions like candy. Not great, but not garbage

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kaza42 posted:

Counterpoint, Jean can move activated models. That plus shield mind makes her great at stand on secures. She's not top tier, but definitely has a role.

Nova is a bit rough, but her mind possession attack combos extremely well with her trap power, and she can hand out punishing root conditions like candy. Not great, but not garbage

Yeah I don't think we're that far off, I think I just have a larger bucket for "garbage."

My issue with Jean's move is that it's just a more limited and more expensive Bow to the Will of MODOK that could be used multiple times, but on a character that doesn't generate that much power.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The german store leak was real:

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1540028172745441281

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Those models are cool but I truly do not understand who this is for. I'm not saying everything they release should be MCU-popular, but this seems like layers of niche deep.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They're for all of us, comrade

E: in all seriousness, this will be the first affiliation I go all in on

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 23, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That won't be hard since given their announcement/release schedule those will probably be the only four models they get for at least a full year.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the affiliation also includes omega red and Widow, presumably

admanb posted:

Those models are cool but I truly do not understand who this is for. I'm not saying everything they release should be MCU-popular, but this seems like layers of niche deep.

also still waiting on my Gerber pack

Man-Thing // Howard the Duck

and my Chromium-age nonsense

Sleepwalker // Darkhawk

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

admanb posted:

I think they may approach it from a different design philosophy. think of a play style then find a group that fits it

plus I personally love deep cuts. Malekith isn't exactly super popular either but here we are

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'm down for deep cuts but Malekith is at least an expansion of a faction that hasn't seen a lot of direct love in a while. In a game that's already chock-full of underperforming factions creating another tiny one seems like a recipe for alienating players.

but I'm not really upset about it, just kinda "huh?" It is also a fact that tabletop games are a lot more likely to be broken by over-emphasis on depth (lots of new releases for a small # of factions) than breadth, so from that perspective this is both a safe and player-friendly choice.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm going to buy the communists. I don't know anything about them and it doesn't matter

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

We're getting a loving WEREBEAR, this is for anyone who knows putting together a team of Spider-Man, Daredevil, Cyclops, and A BEAR is the coolest poo poo imaginable.

Realistically the well of "well known" Marvel characters can, and will, begin to run dry so "deep cuts" are going to be more commonplace. I appreciate that AMG stays closer to the comics with picks like this, Cassandra Nova, classic X-men and Spiderman characters, etc etc. I'm sure there are sculptors on their team who are getting to live out their Warhammer fantasies with stuff like Malekith, Heimdall, and a big grizzly bear.

I've been looking forward to Crimson Dynamo for a long, long time; he used to be hot poo poo as an Iron Man nemesis ages ago. They did so goddamn good on that sculpt; I have a feeling even non-players of MCP might pick up Dynamo and Ursa Major just because they are so clean.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I've got a draft going here where the rule is "What will come out before the Fantastic Four?" It requires some agreement to work, but the basic concept is everyone gets five characters worth between 1 and 3 points based on how unlikely everyone agrees they would be, then when the FF is finally announced we tally up between 0 and 15 points. Someone like Nightcrawler is a 1, The Warriors Three on a single base a 2, and Dracula or the Squadron Supreme a 3.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Squadron Supreme would be a deep cut. there's always the Great Lakes Avengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

GLA has the problem that the only person in them that matters really is Doreen, who's popular and gameable enough that by herself she's a 1. So you end up with a 1 for SG, but Mister Immortal, Flatman, etc. are definitely all threes.