Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
For Holocure I'm not saying that BL Fujoshi is the first collab you should build but I have yet to have a 20+ minute run where it wasn't, and I've hit 20+ minutes every time I have.

Which kind of seems dumb as I genuinely don't feel incentivized to take any other approach. I love the character variety though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jelly posted:

For Holocure I'm not saying that BL Fujoshi is the first collab you should build but I have yet to have a 20+ minute run where it wasn't, and I've hit 20+ minutes every time I have.

This is an incredible sentence.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I went to do one of the "survive until 31 minutes" cheevs and killed death too fast lol.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jelly posted:

Which kind of seems dumb as I genuinely don't feel incentivized to take any other approach. I love the character variety though.

many of the collabs are very strong

elite cooking (lava bucket + spider cooking) is essentially la borra, but also garlic

flattening board (cutting board + bomb) and micomet (lava bucket + ax) are both huge damage area of effect monsters. Like 'oops I haven't seen an enemy in several minutes' kind

all these three are great first evolve choices

dragon fire (fan beam + ... the dragon tail) is probably the highest damage 'gently caress everything in this one particular direction' weapon, similar to thousand edges. Maybe better as a second evolve though, better for punching through bosses and tightly packed strong mobs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I got Dragon Fire near the end of a run as Gura. Smol Ame spawned, a whirlpool opened under her, I turned the firebreath on her, dead in <10 seconds. Constant chain of sharkbite procs. Beautiful Madness.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mendrian posted:

I went to do one of the "survive until 31 minutes" cheevs and killed death too fast lol.

Yeah i did this and got killed by Uber Death at 30:58 once

Quite frustrating

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah i did this and got killed by Uber Death at 30:58 once

Quite frustrating

:yossame: the only time i felt frustrated in the game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mescal posted:

:yossame: the only time i felt frustrated in the game

And even then i just kinda laughed when i realized what had happened

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is a mighty fine OP.

I just remembered today that I'd already bought VS, so I decided to install it and check it out. Now I am less sad. I love my big dumb game.
From current release notes:

quote:

Initially we thought about re-making the game using features from the new engine, but the resulting game, even if better optimised, didn't really feel "Vampire Survivors" enough. For starters, the physics were too accurate and realistic, enemies weren't even able to push one another inside walls, or the fonts were just too crisp and easy to read. That was not acceptable.
:sparkles:

I do have a couple of questions.

1. Does it matter if I walk far away from the origin? Are there more interesting territories out there, or is it just new places with torches I haven't shot yet?
2. Is it even possible to kill the blue bats or the flowers in the circle?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

1 eventually but don’t worry too much About it yet

2 yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just remembered today that I'd already bought VS, so I decided to install it and check it out. Now I am less sad. I love my big dumb game.

1. Does it matter if I walk far away from the origin? Are there more interesting territories out there, or is it just new places with torches I haven't shot yet?

It becomes more important later but there are things away from the origin including items, unlockable characters and more. When you progress further in the game you'll find the items important because they allow you to bypass the 6 passive item limitation, offering more flexibility in your builds.

You absolutely can kill everything in the game except one notable exception which is completely invincible. It's just a case of how long it talks. Stronger enemies usually drop chests which gives you 1-5 'free' levels is anything you've already taken in addition to a fair amount of gold and are necessary for the game's evolution mechanic.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Arsenic Lupin posted:

1. sometimes. but if there's anything worth getting, the game will put arrows on the edges of your screen to let you know where to go

2. yeah. and when it comes to special solo enemies like the blue bat, you pretty much always will (eventually), because they'll follow you. if you run away from the blue bat so it goes offscreen, you'll notice that another blue bat will show up afterward. that's the same blue bat, teleporting to you

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Don't worry about the items in the stages until you get the upgrade that shows you where the are.

(Though I guess if you really want to you can head left or right in the library or up or down in the tower for awhile. The items are there regardless, just don't waste your time searching the more open maps for them.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That was actually what I was asking. I haven't been intentionally circling farther out from the origin; rather, I've been concentrating on killing swarms of monsters, then eating the gems, then again. That tends to be an oval-ish sweeping movement.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's fine. If you're not going for an item then yeah moving in a big circle to kite while grabbing as much XP as possible is usually the optimal tactic for the genre.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Anybody got a tip for surviving the skeleton wave at 11:00? I've been mostly playing Clerici or Imelda; in both cases, taking Garlic whenever I can (duh) and trying to get Clerici as much damage as I can. I've never gotten her amped enough to survive the mass of skeletons.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anybody got a tip for surviving the skeleton wave at 11:00? I've been mostly playing Clerici or Imelda; in both cases, taking Garlic whenever I can (duh) and trying to get Clerici as much damage as I can. I've never gotten her amped enough to survive the mass of skeletons.

The key is to get yourself set up to siphon tons of gems and levels off that wave. You don't want to think "how do I survive it" because that wave is a huge power leap, you want to eat it alive, not just survive it. Garlic can help early on, but the trick is to understand when to pick up a new power vs. increasing the level of one you have. If you can grab the bible early, pump it up every time it's an option, even if it foregoes another weapon. The effectiveness of that weapon as it levels up is an incredible difference than its initial incarnation and that alone will make mincemeat of the skeletons, especially if you can max it out. Garlic is fine, I find most builds work with or without it, depending. As you unlock more characters and weapons your builds will change, but early in the game I remember having the best luck with bibles, magic wand, fire wand, garlic, and daggers. Level up the bible first, then the magic wand, then dealer's choice. Pick up the matching evolutions if there isn't a weapon pickup or upgrade available. Put highest priority on the duplicator if it drops - max that out as well. Duplicator with bibles is a monster shield. Combined with the cooldown reducer and spell uptime buff it never drops off. You'll hit an inflection point where you're not dodging mobs any more, you're running into them like a shredder. That's the way to demolish those guys.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'll try not to spoil anything for you:
-The second stage is better than the first for farming up resources to unlock characters and upgrades
-Spinach increases your dmg 10% a stack up to 50%
-Survival upgrades (Armor, Movespeed, Max HP, HP Regen, Laurel) are good to take if they are the difference between surviving or dying early in a run. You usually only need one of these for survival and they each have weapon partners that go with them.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was actually what I was asking. I haven't been intentionally circling farther out from the origin; rather, I've been concentrating on killing swarms of monsters, then eating the gems, then again. That tends to be an oval-ish sweeping movement.
I don't think anyone really mentioned how you pull the gems behind you when you get too far from them (think several screens). For this reason you can safely just wander off in a random direction. As long as at some point you turn around and go back the way you came, it will likely have pulled all those gems into one single red gem that you'll pick up and will level you up like 5+ times. There are also pick-ups that will pull in every gem on the level that you haven't picked up yet.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah forest is unambiguously harder than library, to the point where I think newer players should cut their teeth on library as soon as they have the chance. It plays to the strength of several weapons (whip, for instance) that otherwise have a clear weakness, and the enemies themselves ramp up more gently.

That being said if you're having trouble surviving a wave there are a couple of possibilities. One might be that you're spreading yourself too thin, trying to 'complete' you build before leveling up any one item, which leads to anemic damage. Two, a focus on garlic might be hurting you more than it helps, because it doesn't do very much damage and won't chew through stronger enemies. Three, consider if it's possible to simply evade until the wave ends, in Forest in particular there's usually an easier wave after a harder one. The werewolf/ghost wave is especially mean.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mendrian posted:

Yeah forest is unambiguously harder than library, to the point where I think newer players should cut their teeth on library as soon as they have the chance. It plays to the strength of several weapons (whip, for instance) that otherwise have a clear weakness, and the enemies themselves ramp up more gently.

Now that I think about it, it's odd that the staring character has the whip, and the starting stage goes in all directions.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I still can't tree the bone zone despite following all advice, so I did this instead :unsmith:

Love how it took 17 minutes to kill the 10:00 boss with garlic. Felt like bearhunting with a spray bottle.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 28, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nemo2342 posted:

The only thing that helps Soul Eater damage-wise is Cooldown reduction for the AOE ticks; Might does not affect its base damage, though it will increase as you heal.
Could you elaborate on this? It reads like you're talking about spinach but spinach is good!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mendrian posted:

The werewolf/ghost wave is especially mean.
the werewolf/ghost wave also has the clouds of bats that push the real danger enemies directly at you, which is the most simultaneously hilarious and frustrating trick the first time you see it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the werewolf/ghost wave also has the clouds of bats that push the real danger enemies directly at you, which is the most simultaneously hilarious and frustrating trick the first time you see it
Yeah, bunch of tiny guys you wouldn't even look at normally shoving tough guys into your face is one of my favourite physics based bits of this.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Splicer posted:

Could you elaborate on this? It reads like you're talking about spinach but spinach is good!

Spinach affects the ~10 damage the soul eater deals by default, but does not affect the bonus damage the soul eater gains by healing you, is my understanding.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Holocure is pretty fun, some people have way better weapon synergies than others and there are some bugs (when I was Kronii and picked up the attractorb thing, a time bubble popped up and erased all Exp drops before any could get to me and once when I went to a golden anvil, it didn't pause the enemies so I died as soon as I got out of the upgrade screen) but I understand it's a one person fan project so I can't be too hard on it. I wish endless mode gave more gold because as it is it just more efficient to get gold from normal runs, but otherwise it's a nice change of pace from VS.

20 min till dawn though, I don't know I completed darkness 3 and I just feel like every run is the same, go elemental and if you don't get the elemental tome from either pentagram drop your run is dead. Some of the tome choices are just straight poo poo too, more movespeed at the cost of one hp, why would I ever take that? The hit boxes also don't seem that tight on both ends of the spectrum, sometimes I get hit by stuff that I feel shouldn't have hurt me and other times enemies go right through me. Seems like both rune trees have a clear winner for each tier except maybe the first tier of the shield tree, I prefer the pickup range but I can see some people going for the reload and knockback. And rune upgrades are so expensive and there's no respec option so you couldn't experiment with guns or summons even if you wanted to, unless you commit a bunch of time to grinding out money. Until there are big changes made or content added, I don't see myself going back anytime soon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So, I still can't make it past the skeleton wave. General strategy hints? Like, are there weapons you prefer, for instance? I have Antonio, Imelda, Pasqualina, Arca, and Clerici unlocked. My strategy has been to take the earliest defense offered (preference order garlic, armor, laurel), and then prefer improving existing weapons to taking on new ones, with the exception of King Book and the one that looks like a dove.

Is there a known early-game order of usefulness for weapons? Or, for that matter, a pattern that is good for kiting enemies? I've been focused on orbiting around a pool of enemies to kill and harvest them, but that absolutely falls apart in the skeleton wave.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Centzon Totochtin posted:

20 min till dawn though, I don't know I completed darkness 3 and I just feel like every run is the same, go elemental and if you don't get the elemental tome from either pentagram drop your run is dead. Some of the tome choices are just straight poo poo too, more movespeed at the cost of one hp, why would I ever take that? The hit boxes also don't seem that tight on both ends of the spectrum, sometimes I get hit by stuff that I feel shouldn't have hurt me and other times enemies go right through me. Seems like both rune trees have a clear winner for each tier except maybe the first tier of the shield tree, I prefer the pickup range but I can see some people going for the reload and knockback. And rune upgrades are so expensive and there's no respec option so you couldn't experiment with guns or summons even if you wanted to, unless you commit a bunch of time to grinding out money. Until there are big changes made or content added, I don't see myself going back anytime soon
I always take movespeed tome over anything but elemental/pure damage tomes :shobon:

going fast is the best defense!

(also yeah I am not disagreeing with your other stuff)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

20mtd did somebody say you shouldn't clear the game with the same character and weapon repeatedly?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, I still can't make it past the skeleton wave. General strategy hints? Like, are there weapons you prefer, for instance? I have Antonio, Imelda, Pasqualina, Arca, and Clerici unlocked. My strategy has been to take the earliest defense offered (preference order garlic, armor, laurel), and then prefer improving existing weapons to taking on new ones, with the exception of King Book and the one that looks like a dove.

Is there a known early-game order of usefulness for weapons? Or, for that matter, a pattern that is good for kiting enemies? I've been focused on orbiting around a pool of enemies to kill and harvest them, but that absolutely falls apart in the skeleton wave.

Sounds like you're not building up enough damage output. Garlic's main benefit is it boosts the knockback of other weapons, but its low DPS is only magic on weak enemies. King bible is a good one for you as it becomes a tight ball of high DPS with a few levels. Once you start putting gold into the powerups you can make any weapon with any character work easily, but starting off its rough. I guess that might be part of the point of progression though. Check the unlocks and try to get anything you can. More options lead to better builds.

Don't focus too hard on trying to level the weapons you already have if a strong compliment gets rolled. Like getting bible up to 5 is great for the extra quantity, but if you pick up the duplicator passive you get that +1 for ALL weapons, not just the one. Because of the way the passive abilities apply to all weapons early on having more weapons and more passives will sometimes have more effect than a level in any individual weapon.

Clerici has the Santa Water, which is one of my all time MVPs. You need to quickly get a 2nd or 3rd weapon to handle crowds, but the water has one of the highest damage outputs in the game, and benefits greatly from the candelabrador to increase how many enemies get that damage applied to them at once. You can use it to drag enemies into the puddles to clear big chucks.

Don't ever worry about trying to fight your way back for gems, grab what is easy, the rest will end up in your XP bar eventually as the game combines the older drops into red gems as you progress.

Have you found any evolutions yet?

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 28, 2022

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

20mtd did somebody say you shouldn't clear the game with the same character and weapon repeatedly?

Purely from the perspective of not burning out while climbing darkness levels. I cycled weapons and chars while going to 15 and when i started doing the max darkness clears for achievements I had successful prior clears on everything at 8+, but there’s nothing saying you couldn’t just shoot to 15 with your fav combo then branch out from there. If anything it may be optimal metagaming to do so in terms of getting money for runes as a win is usually 16-20k reward.

The movespeed tome is generally a solid pickup assuming it doesn’t drop you into one hit kill range. Most of the tomes have use outside of the bullet bounce one, honestly.

And yeah, game needs more content but it’s a good baseline. Worst case I just finish the last 3 chars/weapons at 15 and put the game down.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

[helpful stuff snipped]

Have you found any evolutions yet?
Nope. I suspect I'm not surviving long enough.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nope. I suspect I'm not surviving long enough.
evolutions require:
-matching pair of specific weapon and specific passive (there's not really any hints for these, honestly, a lot of them don't make sense until you know what the evo does - hell, some of them like Runetracer + Armor hardly even make sense when you do know that)
-maxed weapon (level 8)
-opening a chest that drops 10 minutes or more into a run (this is a simplification, some maps have chests that can evolve earlier, but I'm talking forest/library here)

and then you get an evo instead of just a random thing (if you get a 3+, you get an evo and 2 random things, you can't evo 2 from almost-all-chests)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hmm. I've never gotten enough matching drops to up a weapon to level 8.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tortolia posted:

Purely from the perspective of not burning out while climbing darkness levels. I cycled weapons and chars while going to 15 and when i started doing the max darkness clears for achievements I had successful prior clears on everything at 8+, but there’s nothing saying you couldn’t just shoot to 15 with your fav combo then branch out from there. If anything it may be optimal metagaming to do so in terms of getting money for runes as a win is usually 16-20k reward.

The movespeed tome is generally a solid pickup assuming it doesn’t drop you into one hit kill range. Most of the tomes have use outside of the bullet bounce one, honestly.

And yeah, game needs more content but it’s a good baseline. Worst case I just finish the last 3 chars/weapons at 15 and put the game down.

i still don't really understand how the bullet bounce works. There's a bunch of weird interactions with various guns and it's taking me forever to pin them down. Chugging away at all the characters/weapons at dark15 right now, that second boss is just owning me over and over until I finally get in the right position to deal with him. The last run I did I had piss poor damage with the bat gun, had multiple bosses on screen a lot of the run, and still survived easily. It was weird.

The nomad survivor challenges are really fun. Took me a long time to realize I needed to respec and turn off retaliation for the one that hurts you when you kill enemies.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

i still don't really understand how the bullet bounce works. There's a bunch of weird interactions with various guns and it's taking me forever to pin them down. Chugging away at all the characters/weapons at dark15 right now, that second boss is just owning me over and over until I finally get in the right position to deal with him. The last run I did I had piss poor damage with the bat gun, had multiple bosses on screen a lot of the run, and still survived easily. It was weird.

To be honest I don’t have a good read on bounce either. I’m inclined to say it doesn’t work if you have piercing, or maybe only then works for things like fan firing or the one that causes enemies to shatter into mini bullets.

In general piercing seems superior purely from the perspective that it makes it easy to focus fire in a particular area to carve escape routes. It doesn’t help that bounce often comes with bullet damage reduction.

Edit: buffed batgun seems weirdly lethal, yeah; i feel like it benefits extremely disproportionately from summoning boosts but in a way that doesn’t clearly show up in damage displays.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 28, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
20MTD has bad math and rounding down issues.

Their formula for +10% +25% -10% ends up at 24%.

If you have 4 damage and get -10% damage, you do 3 damage.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are you investing in the permanent upgrades? From the Main Menu it's Power Up (?) and you get permanent bonuses to damage, HP, Armor, etc. It's what you spend your gold on. They are a big bonus. Everything but Curse is worth the money, but some things live revives can take a while to buy.

You might have to play around with some things specifically. Like pick a character and only get their weapon when you get a choice at the treasure chest - within reason. You probably don't have any options to skip or reroll your options at a chest at this time.

From what I recall from playing the early game, a lot of my first few hours was focused on unlocking other weapons/characters, and maybe getting 10-12 minutes on the clock. But as you unlock more stuff it really opens up what you can do. Check the unlocks list and try and fill that out as best you can.

Look for the upgraded weapons. This early in the game you should have the base whip and Hollow Heart available. Pick both of these up and focus on getting the whip to level 8. After that, the next chest should have the upgraded whip (bloody tear), and it gets boosts to damage, area and has a HP steal effect.

If you tend to go for Garlic, you should get the Pummalora (red heart), but that won't show up if you haven't survived for 5 minutes with Genaro "(knife guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Third World Reagan posted:

20MTD has bad math and rounding down issues.

Their formula for +10% +25% -10% ends up at 24%.

If you have 4 damage and get -10% damage, you do 3 damage.
There's at least one formula that rounds differently somewhere, because I managed to have bullets do 24 and "bullet damage" flying knife do 25 simultaneously. I don't really care but that's just sloppy you know?

Tortolia posted:

To be honest I don’t have a good read on bounce either. I’m inclined to say it doesn’t work if you have piercing, or maybe only then works for things like fan firing or the one that causes enemies to shatter into mini bullets.
Patch notes indicate pierce first, then bounce, so you don't get a bounce unless you run out of pierce before you run out of range, which is... not very likely when you have both. Doesn't mean it's not altogether broken as well!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hmm. I've never gotten enough matching drops to up a weapon to level 8.
Stupid question, but you're spending your gold on meta-upgrades, right? That's where a fair chunk of the power curve (other than just knowing what you want to beeline for on any given run) is.