Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it’s not what you want at all but i gently caress with the nutcracker suite very heavily. it’s so well known for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

landgrabber posted:

it’s not what you want at all but i gently caress with the nutcracker suite very heavily. it’s so well known for a reason
No, good suggestion, along with the other ones.

Probably didn't need to clarify in this thread, but I've run into a lot of "its i saw mommy kissing Santa claus, but with an orchestra" type stuff while looking around.

And Harlem nutcracker is one of my favorite Christmas albums.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

one of the things i like about tchaikovsky -- that's made his stuff easier to breach for me -- is that i think he has a really big sound most of the time. i mean, obviously, but there's often a celebratory or triumphant feeling in his compositions, and that makes it easier to encounter, because that's a feature of the pop music i love. like waltz in a flat major, dance with goblets, or 1812 overture finale, or waltz of the flowers.

it may just be a Romanticism thing, but can anyone point me in a direction for similar composers? it's tough because so much of romantic movements in music is just opera and i feel like i get more out of listening to the ballets and stuff

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Re: Christmas stuff, try looking for specific vocal ensembles, like the St. Olaf Choir. They'll have a bunch of Christmas albums that have the whole spectrum of music from early music to spirituals.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

one of the things i like about tchaikovsky -- that's made his stuff easier to breach for me -- is that i think he has a really big sound most of the time. i mean, obviously, but there's often a celebratory or triumphant feeling in his compositions, and that makes it easier to encounter, because that's a feature of the pop music i love. like waltz in a flat major, dance with goblets, or 1812 overture finale, or waltz of the flowers.

it may just be a Romanticism thing, but can anyone point me in a direction for similar composers? it's tough because so much of romantic movements in music is just opera and i feel like i get more out of listening to the ballets and stuff

To start, I'd recommend Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, Brahms Symphony No1+2 and the Violin Concerto, Mendelssohn violin Concerto, Dvorak symphony no 9 aka 'From the New World' symptony, Beethoven symphony no. Take your pick, there's lots out there :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

landgrabber posted:

Dvorak, especially Symphony no. 8 and the Cello Concerto. Schumann's symphonies, and especially Rach- this recording of Earl Wild doing the Rach concerti and the Paganini Variations is an essential.

https://open.spotify.com/album/41eImZRW2jKn5tr0hkBFxj

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm working my way through Tristan und Isolde. In the process, I've discovered that I can only take so much Wagner at once; it took me three days to get through act I. It's this recording. Definitely good, but it's a lot to try to take in all at once.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm unapologetically a "bleeding chunks" guy when it comes to Wagner. Some day I'll actually listen in context.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

:sickos:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Update: XM's online-only Holiday Pops channel is surprisingly good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

No, good suggestion, along with the other ones.

Probably didn't need to clarify in this thread, but I've run into a lot of "its i saw mommy kissing Santa claus, but with an orchestra" type stuff while looking around.

And Harlem nutcracker is one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Handel’s ‘Messiah’ isn’t really Christmas music per se, but I listen to it a lot this time of year. I like the London Symphony Orchestra’s recording with Sir Colin Davis and Susan Gritton et al. I like a lot of the lessons and carols recordings from various British cathedrals/schools too.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I want to get into Classical Music again, but not sure where to start. I'm familiar with most of the heavy hitters, but would like to know more about the 20th century. Stockhausen, Boulez, Scarlatti - I know a couple of serialism composers, but there's gotta be a huge field out there that I'm not aware of. Some kind of tree diagram with the most influential composers and pieces of 20th century classical/modern music would be cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
god there's too much. the actual huge names of the post-war 20th century (apart from the guys you mentioned like Boulez and Stockhausen) are probably Ligeti, Messiaen, Cage, Reich and some guys it seems weird to consider "post-war" like Stravinsky or Shostakovich.

i've used this before, though unfortunately it's a pure list with no biographies or charts or anything. it's also missing a few major names like dallapiccola, so it's best used with another guide that actually tells you who these guys are.

the star ratings, are more of a "how often this gets cited"/importance rating than a quality rating, fwiw.

https://sites.google.com/site/classicalmusiclist/contemporary-composers-and-their-works

e) apart from the serialists: it kind of depends where you want to go. i had a bit where i really liked american minimalists- Reich and Feldman are still my favorites in that field, and everyone really should hear Feldman regardless of if you like minimalism or not (start with Rothko Chapel and Coptic Light, if you like those, Triadic Memories and then just listen to all of it). for Reich, listen to 18 Musicians (the original ECM recording) as an entry point- Drumming, and his early tape music (especially It's Gonna Rain) are extremely influential works if you were interested in that aspect too.

Rzewski is my favorite of the post-modern semi-polystylistic guys, and he was one of the few guys who made things like spoken word + piano work (De Profundis). he also has my favorite solo piano work of the century (The People United...) and a really cool set of pieces based on old protest songs (North American Ballads). Schnittke is also a polystylistic guy though his compositions are completely different in style than Rzewski.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 2, 2022

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

busalover posted:

I want to get into Classical Music again, but not sure where to start. I'm familiar with most of the heavy hitters, but would like to know more about the 20th century. Stockhausen, Boulez, Scarlatti - I know a couple of serialism composers, but there's gotta be a huge field out there that I'm not aware of. Some kind of tree diagram with the most influential composers and pieces of 20th century classical/modern music would be cool.

https://www.music-map.com/igor+stravinsky

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

woha! that is very neat.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/classicalmusiclist/contemporary-composers-and-their-works

e) apart from the serialists: it kind of depends where you want to go. i had a bit where i really liked american minimalists- Reich and Feldman are still my favorites in that field, and everyone really should hear Feldman regardless of if you like minimalism or not (start with Rothko Chapel and Coptic Light, if you like those, Triadic Memories and then just listen to all of it). for Reich, listen to 18 Musicians (the original ECM recording) as an entry point- Drumming, and his early tape music (especially It's Gonna Rain) are extremely influential works if you were interested in that aspect too.

Rzewski is my favorite of the post-modern semi-polystylistic guys, and he was one of the few guys who made things like spoken word + piano work (De Profundis). he also has my favorite solo piano work of the century (The People United...) and a really cool set of pieces based on old protest songs (North American Ballads). Schnittke is also a polystylistic guy though his compositions are completely different in style than Rzewski.

Not sure I've ever listened to something by Reich... wait, is that the guy with the psychedelic piano loops that slightly change after 4 mins? I remember listening to something by Zorn, but that was just Klezmer music, not sure if he also does other stuff (he probably does). Rzewski and Schnittke I never heard of, so I'll check that out.

e: btw I remember Conlon Nancarrow. Are there maybe more composers that experimented with automated playback? With todays Machine Learning algorithms stuff like this gets to a whole other level.

busalover fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 3, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

busalover posted:

Not sure I've ever listened to something by Reich... wait, is that the guy with the psychedelic piano loops that slightly change after 4 mins?

That sounds like Terry Riley, though I'm not really sure. Reich's best stuff outside his early tape music was with small ensembles and/or percussion.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

busalover posted:

Are there maybe more composers that experimented with automated playback? With todays Machine Learning algorithms stuff like this gets to a whole other level.

more jazz than classical, although you could argue the line is kinda blurry, but you might enjoy dan tepfer. this video is good because he explains a bit about the technology he's using:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaadsrHBygc

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This strange man does metal covers of Bach and Brahms and I am sort of into them in a half joking but actually they are good type of way.

Brahms Requiem Mov. 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epwg_bJBAws

Bach's Dona Nobis Pacem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-__X0hW_c
(this one legit has clearer voicing then most large choral recordings )

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The war in Ukraine is hitting the classical music world. Anna Netrebko leaves the Met and Valery Gergiev is losing gigs left and right. Ballsy of the Met, really. Netrebko is one of the biggest opera singers of the 21st century, but she's said some pretty weird poo poo about Putin in the past. Gergiev has been much more in the mix with Russian politics and art for a long time.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

zenguitarman posted:

The war in Ukraine is hitting the classical music world. Anna Netrebko leaves the Met and Valery Gergiev is losing gigs left and right. Ballsy of the Met, really. Netrebko is one of the biggest opera singers of the 21st century, but she's said some pretty weird poo poo about Putin in the past. Gergiev has been much more in the mix with Russian politics and art for a long time.

A diva and a megalomaniac walk into a bar

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zenguitarman posted:

was hard for them to not see this coming after all the american musicians getting blacklisted after the iraq invasion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bump

I'm listening to the Ozawa/BSO version of the Berlioz Rome et Juliette (only available in some weird box set called "The Berlioz Experience" from DG, because nobody liked Ozawa) and this piece is still my favorite ungainly mess that's supposedly a "symphony".

the scene d'amour is probably the excerpt that gets played the most and Wagner apparently was bowled over hearing it performed, the whole work is a great ride if you don't mind it being a total structure mish-mash and has some of Berlioz's best orchestral music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEqd8VylDF0

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Post your favorite string quartets/quintets.

https://youtu.be/yNwv1qa2iqo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pollyanna posted:

The Mendy F minor quartet doesn't get the reputation that some of the big Tragic Quartets like Death and the Maiden and Shostakovich 8 get, but it's maybe his best work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7A4Iy0Ba8

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

because nobody liked Ozawa
Wait, what? I was an 80s Suzuki kid and vaguely remember everyone being overly into him as a classical music celebrity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stealie72 posted:

Wait, what? I was an 80s Suzuki kid and vaguely remember everyone being overly into him as a classical music celebrity.

iirc he got trashed in the local press in his final years a bit, but it's more about records where i almost always see people recommend stuff like Munch over Ozawa for BSO stuff, even in cases where Ozawa was arguably better

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I joined the new hampshire philharmonic a few months ago and finally got to play firebird, among other things :allears:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pollyanna posted:

This was mine as a kid and I still love it. This is less a single performance than just pure fun had by these super star players .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdXoER96is&t=612s

or skip to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdXoER96is&t=825s

edit-
My dad, who was a consummate lover of classical music of all varieties, basically brainwashed me from childhood. He died last week at the very ripe age of 96, and I'm appreciating this music with coffee on a rainy morning, the fact that Schubert wrote it at 22, these geniuses that played it.....it's all a miracle

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 8, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the trout is pretty much the definition of pure fun, you really can tell it was Schubert writing for his friends to play.

speaking of that I really wish I had been able to get people together to do Riley's "In C" back when I played cello because by all accounts that's an incredibly fun piece to do. unless you're the guy playing the piano, I guess.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've been making way through some Handel concerto grossi and trio sonatas (playing pocket scores on keyboard ) and I'm constantly amazed how deep his bag is. And what I like about it (as opposed to Bach or Corelli even) is he really really knows when he has a killer hook so he comes back to it 2-3 times and really milks it. Plus you can sorta tell in the slower movements how he's teasing out a future aria. Good poo poo !

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Pollyanna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YVd5efkUnw

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

I could get lost in this piece for hours. I actually did once; I had to do an analysis of it in college.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVoFLM_BDgs

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BWV posted:

I've been making way through some Handel concerto grossi and trio sonatas (playing pocket scores on keyboard ) and I'm constantly amazed how deep his bag is. And what I like about it (as opposed to Bach or Corelli even) is he really really knows when he has a killer hook so he comes back to it 2-3 times and really milks it. Plus you can sorta tell in the slower movements how he's teasing out a future aria. Good poo poo !
Handel is absolutely one of my favorite composers. He and Haydn are both in the same category for me of maybe not an original genius on the level of Bach or Mozart or Beethoven, but utterly charming and delightful. ‘Water Music’ is one of my favorite compositions ever, and he wrote some really great and under appreciated operas.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If you haven't listened to Beethoven Op. 111, well, listen to Beethoven Op. 111 (Pollini is my favorite performer from that, in his "The Late Piano Sonatas" record which is one of the best classical records ever made)

It took me a while to, but I did listen to Pollini's rendition of Op. 111! It's wild and unbelievably pretty. The first act is so gnarly, but then those variations are so lighthearted and sweet. And they swing??? I really wasn't expecting such a jazzy sound from Beethoven of all people. The effect is dazzling and disorienting, like lovers dancing through time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My orchestra got back together after a semester off and we have a whopping six horns (including me on 1st) signed up. How do I convince our conductor to do Mahler next semester so I can die playing my horn?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Got season tickets for the local orchestra :toot: The schedule was too good to pass up this year. Looking forward to being the only people under 60 in the audience!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

doing Sibelius 1 in my orchestra next month. anyone know this one?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

ferroque posted:

doing Sibelius 1 in my orchestra next month. anyone know this one?

Sebelius is pretty fun in general. I seem to remember enjoying it. It starts off slow and quiet, but it has a grand finnish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cephas posted:

It took me a while to, but I did listen to Pollini's rendition of Op. 111! It's wild and unbelievably pretty. The first act is so gnarly, but then those variations are so lighthearted and sweet. And they swing??? I really wasn't expecting such a jazzy sound from Beethoven of all people. The effect is dazzling and disorienting, like lovers dancing through time.

it's probably my favorite single piece of music ever written op. basically any pianist has to do that one but the Pollini disc of the late sonatas is one of my favorite classical recordings ever, even if it's weird to think of classical music in a recording/record-based way.

i think the short-list that i've seen from consensus is the Pollini late sonatas disc, and stuff like the Carlos Kleiber Beethoven 5, Maria Callas version of "Tosca", Solti's recording of the Ring Cycle, and maybe the Glenn Gould Goldbergs.

(if you want some other records I'd recommend, try out Igo Pogorelic's "Gaspard de la Nuit" on Deutsche Grammophon, Pollini's 1972 recording of Chopin etudes on Deutsche Grammophon, and the original ECM version of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

loose fit, but worth sharing

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1572372646012260353