Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

You'd be able to take Cassandra plus 2 basic Sentinels/1 prime sentinel, I'm guessing.

I don't mind the cost so much given poo poo like Warhammer will charge you more absurd amounts for endless figures to paint/assemble and for only like a tenth of an army. MCP pretty much lets you pick and choose what's in your small squad and that feels less of a chore.

I'm probably going to go nuts with the Hydra packs sans the Nick Fury one which isn't interesting to me, and I'll likely pick up all the X-Men content including the Sentinels/Weapon X set/brotherhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

All I know is that there better be some amazing team tactics cards in there if they want me to start playing Cassandra Nova

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

All I know is that there better be some amazing team tactics cards in there if they want me to start playing Cassandra Nova

I ran her in SLDD CrimSyn and she's fine. She's a 5 that feels like a 5 and definitely gives you the control that you're missing from all the Rapid Fire 3-threat morons you're fielding elsewhere in your list.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

I know Cassie gets a lot of flak, but she is worth her 5 threat. Being someone with an R4 attack who can't be shot back unless you're in R3 means she can position herself in places where she's safe from retaliation.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I'm less positive on her but just adding a strong leadership with a tactics card would do a lot to make her functional. The weirder thing is going to be the Sentinel faction with (at a guess) a 5 threat leader, two 4s, and a 6.

But they're getting five tactics cards between their two boxes, so that's a lot of potential flexibility/power.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Making Zola’s whole front half one big clear piece is certainly a choice.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Making Zola’s whole front half one big clear piece is certainly a choice.

...Huh.

I knew the plate on his face would be clear, but...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It seems like a weird choice not to have a clear screen and the rest of the front a separate regular piece, unless they decided that made it a lot harder to avoid fogging/glue disasters? But now it's going to be harder for people to prime. It's not like they don't split things up into tons of pieces on the regular.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Sentinels have been spoiled. I kinda like the Mk 4 on its own as a splash. Good control, GIANT HP pool, and (almost) total immunity to forced movement between its passive superpower and its size-5 base.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for a 4-threat character, that statline is loving insane (3/4/4 is really good, can't be moved or pulled, has 2 energy gained per turn). I figured they'd have made some kind of glaring weakness on them but I don't see any for them besides the fact that they won't be in any affiliation besides the presumably-niche one of "just sentinels and Cassandra."

I suppose the big flaw is that they have absolutely no defensive tech to reroll dice or bolster themselves against stuff/modify their own rolls (outside of Prime's ability to spend on this), which I assume is a thematic thing to display how dronelike and unchanging they are. Against characters with stuff like strong reroll abilities, stealth, or other combos, they might get trashed quicker.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DLC Inc posted:

for a 4-threat character, that statline is loving insane (3/4/4 is really good, can't be moved or pulled, has 2 energy gained per turn). I figured they'd have made some kind of glaring weakness on them but I don't see any for them besides the fact that they won't be in any affiliation besides the presumably-niche one of "just sentinels and Cassandra."

I suppose the big flaw is that they have absolutely no defensive tech to reroll dice or bolster themselves against stuff/modify their own rolls (outside of Prime's ability to spend on this), which I assume is a thematic thing to display how dronelike and unchanging they are. Against characters with stuff like strong reroll abilities, stealth, or other combos, they might get trashed quicker.

They're weak to physical rapid-fire but not outrageously so, and they get trashed by Malekith like everything else does, but what I think actually hurts them the most as a faction is their relatively low mobility across the board , even with very large bases on the Sentinels. I think being splashed into other rosters might be where they really shine, they're very self-sufficient.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They're vulnerable to the most common attack type in the game. They're extremely vulnerable to whiffing, because their attack being any good depends on having power to spare (they really hate Stun). And they get quite a bit worse once dazed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

for a 4-threat character, that statline is loving insane (3/4/4 is really good, can't be moved or pulled, has 2 energy gained per turn).
it's actually 3 power per turn, 1 in power phase, 2 after activating

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
7/6 is a pretty standard "tanky" stat line. 3 physical defense, no damage reduction, no rerolls, and good luck ever getting cover. They are hard to move, but will be shredded by focus fire. Magneto eats these guys for breakfast

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kaza42 posted:

Magneto eats these guys for breakfast
I mean, have you read the comics? that's also the case there

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

foolish of me to think this, but I was hoping there would be a Sentinel affiliation clause that states they can't be on the same team as anyone from X-men, X-Force, or Brotherhood lol. probably a bit too much flavor for the game.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
A core design ethos for this game appears to be letting players play whatever they want with no restrictions beyond threat value. (Which is extremely player friendly IMO.) A rule like that is fluffy but doesn't fit the game. You can always restrict yourself from doing it, or fluff justify it as 'reprogrammed/malfunctioning Sentinel' or whatever.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

"That's just a captured Sentinel that Forge reprogrammed to work for the X-Men/a Wolverine clone Gyrich trained to work for the Government"

the justification for any character on the 'wrong' roster is super easy in a game based on comics

that said, I was trying to design a Rhino custom card that wasn't just "generic 4 threat tank" and thought about how he just wants to do crime, no real beef with any particular super hero, and came up with an idea for a passive super power that makes him -1 threat when in CrimSyn, incentivizing not splashing because he doesn't really want to work with Black Order or whoever, just rob banks.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 7, 2022

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

There were also the O.N.E. Sentinels which were piloted and were set up to protect the Xavier School and there were some team ups there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sort of surprised they didn't also make a Nimrod or Bastion figure as a leader for the Sentinels, as they'd make a lot of sense for this. Pretty sure that whenever Bishop gets a release we'll see one of them, though. Maybe they'll save them for the inevitable Apocalypse cycle of releases.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Any particular reason why you can have two (2) Mk IV Sentinels on a team, but not three (3) of them?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Parkingtigers posted:

Any particular reason why you can have two (2) Mk IV Sentinels on a team, but not three (3) of them?

I think they want to avoid people having to buy more than one box of anything, but that's just my conjecture.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Speaking as a convocation player, these things can gently caress right off. What government rear end in a top hat was like "Well, time to build some robots to hunt the X-Men, let's start by making them absolutely shred all those non mutant wizards?"

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I think they want to avoid people having to buy more than one box of anything, but that's just my conjecture.

More generally the idea of there being multiples of anything in a team is new and weird for MCP and will hopefully continue to be rare even after these. It makes sense and avoids them having to do something weirder, like designing two 4pt Sentinels with slightly different weaponry, but it's not something they want to lean into.

And, yeah, MCP boxes are designed to be one-and-done. You don't want to mess with that expectation and you also don't want to sell a $100 box with three Sentinels that they might only use 1-2 of.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

About to start a tournament with Big D, because I love fun but hate winning.

My anti-Murderkitty tech is Iron Man and Helios, will.report back if it keeps Mal in check.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

About to start a tournament with Big D, because I love fun but hate winning.

My anti-Murderkitty tech is Iron Man and Helios, will.report back if it keeps Mal in check.

I poured an 18 die Helios into Mal last night, and did 7 net damage. Like a lot of other factors in MCP, the dice are pretty swingy, and I believe affect a lot of people's opinions on pieces and the game overall.

Dormammu is tons of fun, though!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
7 net damage is actually about average for 18 dice vs Mal. Very slightly below average by my calculations, but with that many dice the spread is pretty wide

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Battle Report!

Game 1 vs Steve-vengers
Opponent was very new (less than 10 total games) but we had fun. He didn't play the points and Hood (Possessed) is a loving beast that dazed two models in 1 attack from chain lightning. His 10 didn't include a 5-threat model, so he was doomed even if he was a strong player because the way to beat Dormammu is to attack him with big-rear end handfuls of dice on single attacks due to his nonexistent defensive tech. Won

Game 2 vs Spider-Friends
Opponent is a good friend who is a very nice dude but also the most merciless spike in the world. He dismantled my team pretty easily but the crises were not favorable, 5 secures is not something Dormammu likes to see, especially Scoundrels that gives his whole team cover. I think I made a mistake trying to go 5-wide with Black Widow instead of going 4 wide with some scarier models. Lost

Game 3 vs A-Force
Opponent is a decent player who knows all the tricks to make his team hum, he had a turn 1 Medusa play that dazed Hood, and his second turn was lining up to be brutal, Crystal drop-off She-Hulk into a beam that incinerated Drax and Iron Man, then Follow Me into Shulkie's turn. However, She-Hulk got 1 success on a 9-die spender and was caught out on a Hood counter that Chain Lightning'd twice Dazing Medusa and Crystal and left She-Hulk with 9 stamina left and Drax, Tony and Bullseye still to go with a Helios Laser online. He conceded when She-Hulk finished her activation Stunned, Shocked, Hexed and Incinerated. Won

Got a Vibranium Heist kit and a sweet MCP iron-on patch for my 5th place finish!

Final thoughts:
Hood is an absolute beast. His rapid-fire guns being mystic helps so much against Spider-Friends and Cap who don't get their defensive tech on them. I ran Black Swan one time (no gem) as a test, and she preformed admirably - she's a de facto 5 with Power Gem, but Dormammu's leadership does a good impression and now she's a wonderful 4 instead of a solid 5. Never actually brought Voodoo on any missions but I should have in Game 2 with Skrull Senators being the extract. Helios Laser didn't actually preform that well (only got to fire it in game 1 on the last turn as a flex, and 15 dice didn't even daze a healthy Ms. Marvel), but the ability to suck away power to get down under the magic 3-power threshold was super-nice to have in my back pocket for situations where I would burn for 1 off my leadership.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hood's probably one of the best 3s in the game and he's just a delight to play. So many potential play patterns when he's transformed and loaded up with power.

If his model(s) was more interesting he'd probably be my favorite piece in the game.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

7 net damage is actually about average for 18 dice vs Mal. Very slightly below average by my calculations, but with that many dice the spread is pretty wide

Oh, I wasn't upset, past I got really close to dazing him, nd thought it a shame I hadn't.

The number one thing I try to impart to people trying to understand the game better is that the dice more variability than they think. This isn't Warmachine, where the math is relatively solved.

Personally, I think the swingy-ness of the dice help keep the chill vibe of the game there.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

lol M.O.D.O.K. just absolutely hard counters all of Strucker Hydra shenanigans and you're just playing lovely 3s against him at that point good loving luck

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

By being immune to wilds?

I think with Strucker you don’t want to go all-in on condition appliers. There are plenty of solid pieces that also apply conditions, and with Strucker they’ll heal off of it.

It’s like how with Steve you want to play good characters with 2-3 cost powers, not just characters with good 2-3 cost powers.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kinda eyeing this game since my local shop is finally starting to try some games besides 40k, and the models looks great but I'm a bit confused about team building. So as I understand it each Affiliation requires you to have over 50% of your team come from that affiliation's roster, which then gives you the ability listed on that affiliation leader's stat card. Is taking the leader mandatory, or do you get the ability either way? And is there any restriction on who you can add to certain affiliations (i.e. could I have a Criminal Syndicate team that randomly also has Spider-Man on it?)

Also curious if there's a good place to read up on the different characters and a rough idea of where they sit in terms of competitiveness - the store is doing a league so while I'm mostly interested in playing for fun with characters that I like, I also don't want to get stomped because I picked a bunch of lovely ones that don't synergize well.

Space Friend
Dec 23, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kinda eyeing this game since my local shop is finally starting to try some games besides 40k, and the models looks great but I'm a bit confused about team building. So as I understand it each Affiliation requires you to have over 50% of your team come from that affiliation's roster, which then gives you the ability listed on that affiliation leader's stat card. Is taking the leader mandatory, or do you get the ability either way? And is there any restriction on who you can add to certain affiliations (i.e. could I have a Criminal Syndicate team that randomly also has Spider-Man on it?)

Also curious if there's a good place to read up on the different characters and a rough idea of where they sit in terms of competitiveness - the store is doing a league so while I'm mostly interested in playing for fun with characters that I like, I also don't want to get stomped because I picked a bunch of lovely ones that don't synergize well.

You have to have a character with the leadership ability for the affiliation you want to run in the active squad in order to get it. After meeting the minimum requirements for getting the affiliation bonus, the sky is the limit for whomever you want to add in. Avengers with a Baron Zemo splash? Go for it. Web Warriors palling around with Doc Ock? Totally fine.

As a beginner, I found the Affiliation Spotlight series over at GoonHammer to be a good start, though it's far from an end-all-be-all resource. Across the Bifrost also has some decent articles buried in all of its #content.

Hope that helps!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

also note it's 51% of your models not points must be in affiliation. so 3 cheapie crimsyn guys (kingpin, Bullseye, mysterio) let's you run 2 monsters like hulk and juggernaut to make a team

this is extra useful if you have a character that brings grunts like Elektra or Nick Fury

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Shrecknet posted:

also note it's 51% of your models not points must be in affiliation. so 3 cheapie crimsyn guys (kingpin, Bullseye, mysterio) let's you run 2 monsters like hulk and juggernaut to make a team

this is extra useful if you have a character that brings grunts like Elektra or Nick Fury

Grunts don't count towards affiliation one way or the other because they're not a part of squad building. They just show up during deployment

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

a good resource is the card stat database at http://www.mcpdb.com/. Nthing Goonhammer's Crisis Protocol section which is small right now but gives a good window into the affiliations.

You can literally put whoever you want on a team as long as they fit the crisis point limit. Nothing's stopping you from building a totally unaffiliated team as well, but most will agree that affiliation teams get better boons and abilities. Don't worry too much about metagaming things to death unless there are a bunch of people running Malekith's Flying Circus / Sam Wilson's Avengers ad infinitum.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is nothing wrong with that site, but I prefer Cerebro (https://cerebromcp.com/) because you can also use it to build rosters. If you bother to register you can also add your collection, and then when you build it will only show you options you actually own.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Finally got the starter. I'm used to putting citadel minis together- is it just me or are these really finnicky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

John Romero posted:

Finally got the starter. I'm used to putting citadel minis together- is it just me or are these really finnicky?

recent citadel miniatures I'm guessing? Yeah the starter stuff is rough. For the most part they get better at designing the sprues as they go on, but there are some rough patches.