Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XXIX - Featuring: The Third True Dragon

Music: Ladyin - Sacred Tranquility

That is where the Grand Star Crystal is held. And... where Nyala resides.

It's right ahead, then...!

I understand. However, this is as far as you two will go.

...What do you mean?

It's too dangerous. Once the door opens, I want you and Eigur to withdraw. I don't want to drag you into our battle with the True Dragon. You may lose your lives in there.

But we have come all this way... Opal...

You should join us, Ulania.

Opal doesn't give a poo poo about things like orders, as expected.

Yes... Thank you very much, Opal.

~

I don't want you to die.

Yes, I do not wish for that either, but...

Geez! Don't worry about anyone else's opinion at a time like this! It's all you, Ulania!

...! You are correct...

~~

Mr. Yoritomo, please let me participate in this final battle with Nyala. I have a duty to fulfill as the final remaining survivor of the Atlantis Royal Family.

*nods*

Please, old man! I'll protect Ulania! I've gotta keep my promise with Tallieri after all!

...Fine. But be sure not to push yourselves too hard.

Yeah, I promise. ...C'mon Unit 13, let's get going! We're gonna show this Nyala bastard who's boss around here!

*nods*

Aaaaaand Yuma has a D-Install malfunction right before a boss fight, right on cue.

Yuma...

What...!?

*nods*

...!? N-No...

I assume that the thousands of dragon genes within you are reacting as you near Nyala. You simply cannot handle it. It will be impossible for you to fight in such a state.

So, like, what exactly is the endgame for this artifical dragoner project? Yuma has been breaking down just from having Iod and Fomalhaut installed, and we're still four samples short of being able to fight VFD. The fact that he hasn't gone berserk like Takehaya did by now is nothing less than a miracle.

But I... I've come so far...!

You've done a great deal already. I will ensure you are not made redundant.

...Understood.

And here we are.

It took about four months.

But we're finally facing our first True Dragon.

This is actually a big moment for the series. Every time Nyala's appeared, even back in the very first game, he's always had one black wing.

This is the first time we get to see Nyala in his prime.

Music: Berg - Ultimate Sea Palace

I have enjoyed watching this pure kingdom perish at the hands of my beautiful flowers of death...

Unlike when it appeared in 2020, its right wing is fully intact... This must be its undamaged form.

I've been waiting to see you, Nyala... Your time's up!

Eigur... You cannot allow it to get to you.

I'm the one who's gonna kill you.

~

Wow, gold is so cliche.

For those of you who think that the script had some jokes added in during localization, it turns out that even in the original JP you get to mock Nyala to his face.

Really helps set the tone VFD is going for.

~~

Ha... Hahaha... Hahahaha!

Video: The 3rd True Dragon
Music: True Dragon - 1st Encount

Oh shiiiiiiiiiii-

Awwww...

Now, as this is the first True Dragon on our True Dragon Extermination Tour, I'll get a bit more in-depth on how Nyala ticks.

Back in 2020 he had:
  • LF: 30000 ATK: 224 DEF: 141 MAT: 224 MDF: 113 SPD: 76
  • True Dragon Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.25x damage. Cannot miss.
  • True Dragon Meteor 2020: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 3.75x damage. Cannot miss.
  • Black Blaze: Fire-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.75x damage. Cannot miss. 50% chance to inflict Burn for 5 turns. The Burn ticks for 21 damage, multiplies ATK and MAT by 0.9x, and multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 1.05x.
  • True Dragon Fang: Non-elemental Fang attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. Hits 3 times. Cannot miss. 65% chance to inflict Bleed for 5 turns. The Bleed ticks for 27/31/32/32/32 damage.
  • Killer React: React skill. Places a buff on the user for 15 turns. If they successfully kill a party member, they will be granted an extra turn.
  • Nihil Gaze: Targets one party member. 75% chance to inflict Downer for 5 turns. 50% chance to inflict Sleep for 5 turns. 99% chance to inflict Freeze for 5 turns. The Freeze ticks for 21 damage, and multiplies SPD by 0.8x. 99% chance to inflict Poison for 5 turns. The Poison ticks for 28 damage.
  • Repair: Heals the user for 1032 LIFE.
  • Ruinous Omen: Telegraph skill.

Meanwhile, here in VFD he has:
  • LF: 5390 ATK: 125 DEF: 99 MAT: 125 MDF: 99 SPD: 55
  • True Dragon Breath: Non-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.25x damage. -100% Crit Chance. 0.75x speed.
  • True Dragon Meteor: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 5x damage. -100% Crit Chance. 0.75x speed.
  • Golden Flame: Fire-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. MAT-based. 0.75x damage. 50% chance to inflict Burn for 5 turns. The Burn ticks for 29 damage, and applies a 0.9x multiplier to the target's ATK, MAT, DEF, and MDF. -100% Crit Chance. 0.75x speed.
  • True Dragon Fang: Non-elemental Fang attack to random party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. Hits 3 times. 65% chance to inflict Bleed for 5 turns. The Bleed ticks for 30/36/37/37/37 damage. 0.75x speed.
  • Killing Act: Places a buff on the user that grants the user an extra turn if they kill a party member. Lasts for 9 turns. Buddy skills have a 60% chance to break this. 0.75x speed.
  • Chaos Gaze: Targets one party member. 75% chance to inflict Downer for 5 turns. 50% chance to inflict Sleep for 5 turns. 99% chance to inflict Freeze for 5 turns. The Freeze ticks for 20 damage, and multiplies SPD by 0.1x. 99% chance to inflict Poison for 5 turns. The Poison ticks for 20 damage. 0.75x speed.
  • Restoration: Heals the user for 512 LIFE. 0.75x speed.
  • Omen of Destruction: Buffs the user. Multiplies MAT by 1.5x for 3 turns. Display message: "Nyala is gathering the power of the universe!" If this buff is not broken within 2 turns, it will allow him to cast True Dragon Meteor on the 3rd turn of this buff. Buddy skills have a 40% chance to break this. 0.75x speed.
  • Nyala's Scorn: Telegraph skill. Display message: "Nyala waits calmly." 0.75x speed.

His stats have been lowered across the board, since this is still early game, but he's fairly the same compared to 2020! He's an actual final boss that we're facing in the first third of the game! His complete inability to crit (outside of True Dragon Fang) just means that he's working on 2020 rules.

He also has a bizarre 25% SPD cut on all his skills. A possible Watsonian explanation is that this is the very first time Nyala's faced actual resistance from his prey, so he's heavily sandbagging because he doesn't see a need to go all out ala Frieza. The Doylist explanation is that VFD is a very easy game. :v:

Omen of Destruction is new, however, and adds in a new kink to breaking buffs. With just a 40% chance of being broken on any given Buddy skill, plus True Dragon Meteor getting buffed, plus a 50% MAT buff, (under VFD rules, at that!) and suddenly failing to break Omen and letting True Dragon Meteor come out is pretty much instant death.

The first turns are spent doing the same setup you know and love.

Nyala can put out some sizable damage.

But two turns with nothing but normal attacks is easy to handle.

This isn't luck-based either. While Nyala's skills are mostly the same in VFD, his AI got rather heavily weakened. In this case, he physically cannot use anything but normal attacks until turn 3.

Stacking Spinning Edge with a Burn from Yuno will cut his damage by a good chunk.

Speaking of turn 3, he'll always use Chaos Gaze and Golden Flame in that exact order.

Chaos Gaze in particular is our first encounter with Downer, doubling all of Opal's MN costs.

While Golden Flame is mostly the same as Black Blaze, but it is a nice touch that they renamed the skill to go with Nyala's undamaged wing.

A long fight like this, combined with Yuno having multiple 2 card options and the ability to draw 2 fire cards on demand makes X Burn really pick up.

Due to Nyala being so early, Chaos Gaze actually becomes a really nasty move. In 2020, you could just toss out a Somanel and clear everything at once, but at this point in the game I don't have access to those, so I'd have to spend two actions to clear the Freeze and Poison individually.

Hilariously enough, Detox would actually have a use case right here, as it would cure everything in one shot, but I never bothered to learn it. :v:

So instead I just patch myself up and push through the ailments.

Aiden lands an EX-boosted Hack on Nyala, while also letting Valerie land her MDF debuff.

Which lets Yuno squeeze in some more damage with an EX-boosted Summon: Fire IIGaroozis.

The TROY hit also gets boosted.

Once Nyala dips below 80% LF, he switches into phase 2 and sets up Killing Act.

Killing Act works the same as before, letting Nyala heal himself and attack again if he manages to take someone out, but his AI on react turns has been tweaked.

In 2020, Nyala would target a random party member, giving a chance that he could kill someone else with low health. In VFD, all his normal attacks in phase 2 will always target whoever has the most LF, minimizing the odds of him killstreaking your entire party.

Also, you may have noticed something odd here:

Namely, that Opal hasn't used her item yet.

As it turns out, Freeze kills item priority.

Just items.

Skills and the like are entirely untouched.

Absolutely no one knew of this until I mentioned it to Araxxor.

Between the summon, the TROYs, and X Burn, Yuno just dealt over 1K damage in a single round.

Unfortunately, an EX-boosted Quartetto very nearly matches that, even with just 2 G-Depth.

Isn't it sad, Yuno?

Nyala's AI to go into phase 3 seven turns after using Killing Act. At that point, he'll use Oath of Destruction and then either use True Dragon Meteor if you fail to break it and wipe the party or go with True Dragon Breath if you do break it. He'll then go back into phase 2 and repeat the process.

As you might have guessed from how Nyala's already down to a quarter health at turn 5, we will not be seeing Oath of Destruction today.

However, if you're playing at home and your party isn't big on offense, there's actually a very easy way to get around Oath's 40% break chance:

Just leave Killing Act on. The game treats buff breaking as an all-or-nothing thing, and only checks the highest break chance out of all buffs currently active. If Killing Act is there, the game will use the 100% break chance it has for both it and Oath of Destruction, letting you deal with it instantly.

To add insult to injury, I throw on lostpower to add in another attack debuff.

It pays off immediately. 14 damage on Yuno, and Duelists are fairly squishy!

And then Hack's passive effect actually goes off and locks out his second move.

Gueeeeeeeeeeees who hasn't noticed that priority loss! :v:

Good thing his AI is set to only use normal attacks on whoever has the most health in phase 2!

Both sides are almost dead.

But I can heal.

I just keep squeezing in damage...

Almost...

A single pixel of health left...

And after the two time final boss does literal chip damage to Opal.

Followed by single digit damage to Aiden.

Nyala, the 3rd True Dragon, dies to falling rocks.

Music: Finish Them Off

Music: None

...Wait, wasn't Ulania holding on to the Dragonslayer?

And so it ends.

Unit 13 severed Nyala's wing, giving Nyala his signiture injury that will force Unit 13 to go back in time in 14000 years to go get a sample from Nyala where they will then sever Nya-loving time travel.

Music: Berg - Ultimate Sea Palace

Seriously...?

*gasp* The Grand Star Crystal...!

You'll have to save the sentiments until we're back at Nodens. And don't forget about the specimen!

And after everyone has left.

The mystery man shows up again.

This abnormal rate of growth must mean... No... I must continue watching...

Next time: Umi da!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

BisbyWorl posted:

Which lets Yuno squeeze in some more damage with an EX-boosted Summon: Fire II

Was there supposed to be a card name here?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

senrath posted:

Was there supposed to be a card name here?

I knew I forgot something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Nyala's skillset got slightly buffed surprisingly, but yeah the fight is nerfed from the 2020 version, so you didn't quite beat a final boss this early.

Though I'm sure with VFD's power creep it could have been managed.

He was the final boss in 2020, but they weren't exactly comfortable having you fight a literal final boss this early in chapter 3, so he got nerfed. To elaborate on how Nyala was nerfed (though chronologically I guess he learned not to underestimate his enemies?) I'll lay out his AI. Here's his AI from 2020, as that's the version this one pulled from. (The DS version is an entirely different fight and runs on a different engine, so I won't talk about it here.)

Nyala's 2020 AI posted:

Phase 1, lasts until dropped below 65% HP, go to phase 2.
Turn 1:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-Attack (Coinflip)
Turn 2:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-Black Blaze
Turn 3:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-True Dragon Breath
Turn 4:
-Nihil Gaze
-Black Blaze
Turn 5:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-Attack (Coinflip)
Turn 6:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-True Dragon Breath
Turn 7:
-Black Blaze
-Nihil Gaze

Phase 2, lasts until turn 6, go to phase 3.
Extra Turn:
-Repair
-Attack
Turn 1 (If entering from phase 1, start from here):
-Killer React
-True Dragon Fang
Turn 2 (If entering from phase 3, start from here):
-Nihil Gaze
-Attack (Coinflip)
Turn 3:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-Attack (Coinflip)
Turn 4:
-True Dragon Fang
-True Dragon Breath
Turn 5:
-Attack (Coinflip)
-Black Blaze
Turn 6:
-Nihil Gaze
-True Dragon Fang

Phase 3, lasts until turn 3, go to phase 2.
Extra Turn:
-Repair
Turn 1:
-Ruinous Omen
Turn 2:
-Ruinous Omen
Turn 3:
-True Dragon Meteor 2020
A little disclaimer, this isn't actually how the AI is in the code. I've just simplified it for easier reading. Ailments can completely knock off the timing due to how 7th Dragon AI actually works, so these writeups'll assume you didn't lock anyone out of their turns.

Compared to Etrian Odyssey enemy AI (For those that have read those LPs), 7th Dragon enemy AI is a lot more rigid and predictable with not that much RNG involved, so if you're having trouble, making note of the enemy behaviors can help a ton.

I've been digging through enemy AI and enemy skills, and they're uh, kind of disorganized in the files which is why some of the info only just started showing up now in the actual LP, and there's some interesting stuff here as well.

As for what "coinflip" means, in the 2020s, bosses actually had 2 different regular attack animations. This added some flair, but it was also to screw with the Destroyer class, who had skills that countered enemies based on how their attack was animated. Nyala had a fang attack and a ranged attack he could use here. This system was scrapped in VFD, as God Hands don't give a drat about that, so everything only has 1 attacking animation in VFD. All of them are classified as melee. So Nyala kept his biting animation in VFD while his ranged attack animation flew off into the nether.

Anyways that's the brain of a final boss, but what about a version scaled down for chapter 3?

Nyala's VFD AI posted:

Phase 1, lasts until dropped below 80% HP, go to phase 2.
Turn 1:
-Attack
-Attack
Turn 2:
-Attack
-Attack
Turn 3:
-Chaos Gaze
-Golden Flame

Phase 2, lasts until turn 6, go to phase 3.
Extra Turn:
-Restoration
-Attack (Target the party member with the highest Life)
Turn 1:
-Killing Act
Turn 2:
-True Dragon Breath
Turn 3:
Turn 4:
-True Dragon Fang
Turn 5:
-Golden Flame
Turn 6:
-Chaos Gaze

Phase 3, lasts until turn 3, go to phase 2.
Turn 1:
-Omen of Destruction
Turn 2:
-Nyala's Scorn
Turn 3:
-If Omen of Destruction is active, True Dragon Meteor
-If Omen of Destruction is not active, True Dragon Breath
Some very big differences here. For whatever reason, phase 1 was massively nerfed. It loops way sooner and the phase ends a lot faster, so you won't be in there for long.

Phase 2 replaced a ton of vicious skills with regular attacks. Also Nyala will try to attack the healthiest party member whenever he can, lessening the chances of him actually killing someone to further make the fight safer.

Phase 3 got a big overhaul, in that it makes use of VFD's buddy mechanics. In 2020, you couldn't stop True Dragon Meteor 2020 from coming out. You had to heal up, guard, and hope for the best. In VFD, if you see True Dragon Meteor activate, you've basically lost, as it was reworked into a failure condition. Oh and you have to break the buff before the turn he casts True Dragon Meteor, as breaking the buff then doesn't stop it from being cast.

A bizarre aesthetic thing I want to note about this fight is that in the 2020s, bosses sometimes took 2 turns to telegraph their strongest attack. So in 2020, when Nyala used Ruinous Omen, the first turn had the game go: "Nyala is gathering power from space!" and then the second turn displayed the message: "Nyala's power is fully charged!" before he launched True Dragon Meteor 2020 at you.

However VFD can't do this since it reworked that skill into an actual buff instead of just wasting Nyala's turn to warn you about his special attack. So instead he charges up the attack on the first turn so you can break the buff and then... he just. Stares at you for his 2nd turn before he then launches the attack on the 3rd turn. Kind of a weird workaround.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 9, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXX - Featuring: More bad ideas from the ISDF

Music: The Daily Grind

Loyal Court Lady: How is the queen...?

Milra: When're those Unit 13 guys coming back?

The Lucier are all worried about everyone, naturally.

P-Please... E—Everyone, please calm down.

Grrrr! What the hell are all these people doing here!? They're like a flock of goddamn seagulls! This is getting way out of hand!

Milra: I-It's Unit 13!

Loyal Court Lady: My queen! You are safe...!

Thank you for coming here to greet us, my people.

Chief Toglau: Ah, Eigur... You have done quite well...!

This is never gonna end at this rate. All you Atlantis people go rest in your evac ward! NOW!

Th-That is a good idea.

Unit 13 and you ISDF bitches, get to the War Room for your progress report. And do it quick!

U-Understood.

So as it turns out.

Opal is still poisoned.

One last bit of spite from Nyala, I guess. :v:

A handful of Lucier in the evac ward have new lines.

~

Shy Girl: I'm curious about this creature you call the cat...

~

Maya: I heard that Nyala is gone... What exactly happened? Is there any way we could go home?

Chief Toglau: My apologies. I do not wish to appear ungrateful.

Lookout Girl: Is that selfish of me...?

But the mood here is a bit mixed.

Music: UE77 In Ariake

I don't mean to rush you, but I need to see the Nyala specimen right away.

So this is it... Good work, my little cuties!

Your Iod specimen, our Fomalhaut specimen, and now this Nyala specimen... There are three True Dragon specimens in human hands.

Yup, we're finally at the halfway point. Excluding the 7th, there are three True Dragons remaining. We're finally getting closer to completing the Dragon Chronicle!

We will take some of this specimen back with us. I'd like to check up on the 7th True Dragon's movement.

OK OK★ Come back and visit whenever you want!

Urgh... I guess I have to analyze the Nyala specimen... Things are gonna get real busy for me... Alright, it's my turn to put some work in! Unit 13 will be on standby until further instruction!

*nods*

I have learned much from this mission. We will surely meet again soon, Unit 13.

*nods*

ISDF Special Tactical Force, return to HQ!

I'm sure analyzing Nyala's specimen will give us some more info on the other True Dragons. Then I'll be able to connect the Portal to a new location so you can hunt the next one! Though I'm sure it won't be that easy... It never is~.

Anyways, the quality of work delivered by Unit 13 was greatly beyond expectations. I mean, your determination is what saved the Lucier civilization! Of course, everyone else did help as well. But you've surely noticed that your group has been at the center of all of it.

It seems as though anything can be achieved as long as you're involved. *chuckle* I hope you can continue to excite me like this in the future★ I guess that's all I have to say. Go on and rest so you can be ready for your next mission!

Opal nods yet again.

Could you visit the Atlantis Evac Ward beforehand? I'm sure they're waiting for you, Unit 13★

*nods*

We're gonna open that Portal up by cramming a bunch of Dz into its little opening~! You catch my drift~?

Could you stop that, Julietta?

The girl from before is missing from her spot.

You came to see us...

We should be greeting you with warm smiles, but... Everyone has suddenly been struck by deep sorrow... Perhaps it is because we can finally rest.

Chief Toglau: We have lost far too much. Our families, our friends, even the sea, which we thought of as our final resting place... gone.

Hey remember when Eigur mentioned 'still having a chance' with the Grand Star Crystal intact?

Yeah, that goes absolutely nowhere.

I keep trying to remind 'em that being alive is a blessing, but... To be honest, it feels like there's this big hole in my heart now, too...

Lookout Girl: Milra... She still doesn't get it...

Milra: This place is fun and all, but I wanna go home! Take me back! I miss the ocean!

There's no need to rush.

Sorry about this, Unit 13... This place is perfect. There's beds, food, even medicine... We're seriously thankful. But still, it's so different here. It just doesn't sit well with me...

~

We have an ocean here, too.

What?

Is that true...!?

*nods*

Yesss! For real!?

Eigur...

*gasp* My bad, Unit 13! You guys gave us all beds and food and stuff... But something about this place just wasn't sitting right with me... I think it was just that I missed the ocean!

Sooooo, did no one tell the sea kingdom refugees that Nodens is built right by the coast? That seems a bit rude to me.

~~

Indeed... If only there were a place we could hear the waves or smell the brine of the ocean...

*gestures*

Milra: I can smell it...

Could it be...?

There's an ocean super close to here! Ain't I right, Unit 13?

*nods*

Is it that close?

Chief Toglau: But if we are to leave this room, we may encounter yet more foreigners...

Certainly hasn't stopped all the other Lucier hanging out in random spots throughout Nodens.

We'll deal with the consequences later! Everyone, follow Unit 13!

Music: Chant for Sanctuary (code:VFD Ver.)

So this is the foreign ocean...

Chief Toglau: A-Ahh... There are some slight differences, but... I can feel the sea breeze...

Milra: Look, Your Majesty! It's sparkling!

Ah! I was unaware that the ocean is such a beautiful, transient being...

Yeah, it looks totally different, but the wind and the waves are exactly how I remember 'em. So there's really an ocean here, too... I'm sold.

Atlantis and this world... They really are connected, huh...

Unit 13, do you think the souls of my father and the others who lost their lives are in this ocean?

*nods*

...I see. I think so, too. Thank you for bringing us here, Unit 13.

Pray for our compatriots who sleep beyond the sea... and for our prideful kingdom of Atlantis.

I could go to bed now.

But there's another batch of new lines in the evac ward.

~

Shy Girl: I-I heard rumors that you guys beat Nyala... But Atlantis isn't coming back, is it...?

Unmotivated Girl: Actually, nevermind... I don't wanna think about it right now...

Yuta: It's gonna be weird having peeps from Cladeon and Atlantica in the same place.

Milra's Grandmother: Milra is feeling much better now. It makes me ever so glad to see her smiling face.

And that's everyone.

G'night!

Music: Destructive Curse

We get our usual cut to the ISDF base.

On the plus side, Yuma hasn't been scrapped!

Mio's grandfather?

I'd heard you left the carrier, but to think you left the Dragon Gene Research Division as well... It was surprising to hear. I don't think this Special Tactical Force really suits you.

It's fine. Ah, have you met Mio yet?

So that was your doing...

Hehehe! Don't misunderstand. I didn't have anything to do with that. She's as smart as her mother was. You'll need to be careful if you don't want her to find out.

So, you brought me here to help develop the Dragon Sickness serum, correct?

Not quite. I shall take you to the Dragon Sickness Lab at a later date. I figured you would be interested in first seeing the fruit borne by the seed you yourself planted.

It can't be... Did you tamper with him!?

After you left the Fuji lab, we developed a more complete model. That is what you will see now.

An alarm starts blaring for the rest of the scene.

Okay, if installing two True Dragons caused Yuma to start breaking down, why would you decide to install a third?

No... Stop this! Yuma will surely die if you inject that into his body!

Have you lost your mind, Yoritomo!? Yuma is your pupil!

This... is what Yuma desires!

What he desires...? That's probably just something you guys brainwashed him to think!

He's not wrong, you know.

I-I'm fine... Professor Nagumo, I'm not... as fragile as you may think...

Yuma...!

Anyway, I-I realized... It is pointless to have... only partial p-power...

So, what do you think the odds are of Yuma going dragon-crazy and becoming a boss down the line?

I have done nothing but fulfill his desires. Yuma wishes to be as strong as possible. You should know. You created him, after all. All we did was install data from two True Dragons... And now, we have added a third to the genetic masterpiece that you developed.

If Professor Nagumo made Yuma, does that mean Yuma is indirectly Mio's uncle?

A third...!? What in the world...?

And the poor Professor has no idea what we've been getting up to.

Yuma is undoubtedly the strongest weapon on the planet. How exciting... Someday he will be the one to surpass the True Dragons and transcend humanity.

With our perfect human Yuma... we will expel the 7th True Dragon!

Next time: Things start to go off the rails.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 20, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

“This is completely insane, has almost no chance of success, is pointless given that Unit 13 is solving everything, and is practically guaranteed to bring about the end of the world. Not to mention kill him.”
“But it’s what he wants! :shrug:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Just gonna reiterate what I mentioned a few pages ago about the atlantis event being a fixed point in time. since, Nyala apparently survived, lost it's wing and Atlantis still sunk, so the events still happened as they did, sort of. Even if the writing in this game is... off, I mean time travel stories in a videogames is more hit or miss than in other media, especially in legacy franchises.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

BisbyWorl posted:

Okay, if installing two True Dragons caused Yuma to start breaking down, why would you decide to install a third?

Hubris?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

anime logic.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Triangles are inherently more stable than perpinidicular lines. Therefore three dragons is more stable than two

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Apparently, they got too hyped by Sol Badguy's Dragon Install, and forgot what tends to happen to players who use it.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Based on the stated logic, he just needs more power to get over the fact that he's unable to control his power. He will eventually be strong enough to destroy himself, the thing that is keeping him from controlling himself, thus allowing him to destroy anything else.

... what? The ISDF has charts proving how it all works!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXI - Featuring: The consequences of our actions

Would you please come meet me on the Conference Floor?

...Why are we getting an upgrade to the Skylounge so soon?

Meh, it only costs 4 Dz.

All it does is make the night ambiance of the dates the default setting.

So now it'll magically become night time whenever we enter the lounge.

Music: Re:Vanishment (code:VFD Ver)

I even did a date to see if anything changed there.

*nods*

Julietta finally managed to find our next target. He's setting up the Portal as we speak★ The 3rd True Dragon Nyala specimen that you guys brought back really helped the development process. It's been quite a long time since I've seen him this excited about something. Meanwhile, Nagamimi's very busy with post-processing for the Atlantis evacuation plan.

Now, the 2020s had Intermission chapters, but those were still had you doing important things, and focused on plot threads that weren't fully dragon-related.

In VFD, Intermissions consist of Unit 13 being given a day off.

A little jingle plays and everything.

You can do whatever you want until we tell you things are ready!

I don't know what to do, though...

You can do anything, anywhere! Maybe you should travel! We'll let you know when we need you★ *chuckle* I guess if you really can't think of anything, there are some quests that need doing★

~

Does anyone need help?

*chuckle* I love how concerned you are about other people★ Right now, the quest counter could probably use your assistance.

~~

I heard things have gotten really busy over there! They apparently haven't even been able to sleep★ Alright, I should get back to work as well!

The president must work most efficiently when her employees aren't watching! *chuckle*

I would help out, but I'm bogged down with presidential duties. What a shame★

My heart is already in pieces... It cannot be broken any further...

You can do it! I'm gonna keep work work working as hard as I can! Work hard, Chika!

A successful person once said that things only get harder when people tell you to work hard...

A successful person also said that anything is possible! Things only seem impossible cause people quit!

Urgh... That person is an idiot. By law, workers are supposed to be given breaks every so often...

We should all aspire to be like Chika.

The law may say so, but our company doesn't! Anyways, I love this! Who needs sleep, anyways!?

Between the sexual harassment jokes, crunch culture, and blatent disregard for the law in a game development company, this game has... not aged well, let's say.

*sigh* This company is evil...

Huh!? You guys look so bored! What's going on!?

You seem busy...

Rika! You can't get out of your responsibilities by pleading insanity!

Sigh. If only Unit 13 was here to help me... I hear they're really bored...

~

Anything I can help with?

Y-You want to help us...? For free...!?

Way to go, Unit 13! You guys are great workers! You still wanna work, even on your break! My salary thief of a sister Chika should learn from you guys!

Unh... Your inconsiderate words have addled my mind... Ahh, I can see it now... The entrance to the medical clinic, the white jackets, the medicine...

~~

*sigh* Just ignore Chika for now. Let's see, what can we have you do?

Oh hey, a joke that makes absolutely zero sense if you didn't play the first game!

...Do you want Unit 13 to die? I will not allow that.

In that case, I guess I can leave it to you, Chika!

Wait, what...?

Hmm... It looks like there are three requests that ask specifically for Unit 13. Could you handle those?

*nods*

Chika uses her ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU voice line here.

You cannot escape it.

We'll be counting on you!

Music: Let's Get to Work!!

The Intermission gives five new sidequests, but as Rika said, we only have to do the ones marked with a star to progress.

And despite the money DLC saying it needs Chapter 3 cleared, it counts Chapter 3.6 as part of it, so we still can't do it.

This is a continuation of your employee training from earlier... Before you begin, I'll give you a lecture on basic knowledge every Nodens employee should know... Don't look at me like that. I don't want to do it either, but rules are rules... Basic Nodens knowledge, part two... Today I will teach you about the president of our company, Allie... Using all of her hard-earned money, President Allie started Nodens in order to bring happiness to the world... In doing so, she also brought the joy of employment to many workers... The people of Nodens hope to work for President Allie until the day we lay on our death beds... Urgh... My stomach hurts just from thinking about working for the rest of my life... Today's lecture is finished... Please go, to the War Room... President Allie is waiting...

A tropical fish has disappeared from the company aquarium. I wonder if it ran away... I'm jealous... I wish I could just pick up and abandon my work... Regardless, Nodens employees are not allowed to go missing. That fish is an employee as well, so we must find it and bring it back. The person in charge of finding the fish, Chiharu, is in the Entrance Lobby.

Awww, Mio...

This one is from Mio Nagumo... It reads: *giggle* Want to hang out today? Wait... Is this just... her asking you out on a date...? What's with all the giggling...? *groan* She filed it with the request department, so I guess it's part of your job. Anyways, the client will be waiting in the Main Plaza. Don't stand her up...

Yuma Kisaragi submitted this request... He plans on doing some combat training in 7th Encount... He said that he'd like Unit 13 to participate as well, if possible... The client will be waiting for you at 7th Encount. Please do your best...

Hmmmm, I wonder who the quest giver could be...

This request is made by an anonymous client from Atlantis... They said they had their own special reasons for not including their name... Anyways, the goal of this request is counseling to cheer up Queen Ulania... They will be waiting for you at the Atlantis Evac Ward... Please hurry over there...

Okay, we just killed a True Dragon and saved a civilization, so let's start with something simple on our day off.

Like finding a fish! What could it do, hop out of the tank and flop away?

Chiharu: I'm still only part-time, though. Right now I'm handling odds and ends for the Atlantis Evac Ward. Anyways, the number of fishes in the tank in the Atlantis Evac Ward doesn't match our records. The one that's gone missing is a species called the Polypterus Bellocchio... Here's a picture of it. Could you go look into this for me?

Polypterus is an actual fish genus! Bellocchio is made up, however.

Chiharu: There's an old man in the Atlantis Evac Ward who loves Bellocchio. He taught me tons about them. He seemed almost like a teacher... I think he should be able to help you!

The quest marker points us to the Talkative Scholar, but didn't Chiharu just say that he loved Bellocchios?

Talkative Scholar: ...I see. This looks quite similar to the fish that lived in the sea surrounding Atlantis.

...Excuse me?

Did Chiharu make a mistake?

Talkative Scholar: ...That may not be the case. This fish did indeed exist, but at some point, it ceased existing.

~

What does that mean...?

Talkative Scholar: Let me explain.

~~

Talkative Scholar: The flapping of a butterfly's wings may cause a storm in the sea hundreds of miles away. Unit 13 defeated the True Dragon Nyala 12,000 years ago, and rescued the people of Atlantis. What storm may that large flapping of wings have caused in the present day of UE 77?

Talkative Scholar: You mentioned that I was quite fond of these Bellocchio, yet... I have no memory of such a thing.

Talkative Scholar: Wh-What!? Take a look at the photo.

what

Talkative Scholar: Could this mean... Hmm...

And if we talk to him again...

So yeah, remember how the game very heavily implied that all this has been part of a stable time loop?

Turns out that was complete and utter bullshit.

We have hosed up the timeline.

Wasn't it Polypterus Bellocchio...?

Chiharu: Huh? What do you mean...? I asked you to investigate the missing Polypterus Pasolini.

~

The fish in the photo disappeared...

Chiharu: Photo? Oh, silly me. I must have accidentally given you a photo with nothing in it!

~~

Chiharu: I'm so glad the problem is all sorted. Here, this is a thank you!

You obtained Lesser Bracer x1.

The Lesser Bracer gives 15% ailment resist.

Hey, Allie? We kinda need to talk.

Oh right, the quest.

The 2000s are quite recent, but not much is known about them. Let's start from the beginning! Come back once you've studied up in the Reference Room!

Asuka: The books you'll need are... The Great Dragon War, Parts 1 and 2. They should be in the back left.

System Message: It appears The Great Dragon War, Pt. 2 is out on loan.

Asuka: Hm... It appears to have been checked out by a Ms. Light from Atlantis. If you go get it from her, you'll be able to read right away instead of having to wait...

'From Atlantis' means that she's in the evac ward.

Light: We all took turns reading it. It was really interesting! Do you think you could return it for me?

Light: It seems Tokyo was hit quite hard as well... But people were atfie to rebuild so much in just 100 years. The people of Atlantis won't give up, either! Our courage is unstoppable!

Asuka: Thank you for retrieving part two. Please utilize the desk provided and study the books carefully. The key sections are the beginning of part one, and the end of part two. Don't forget the afterword!

Now we can finally study.

This quest is pretty much a cliffnotes version of the 2020 games.

Pt. 1: Murakumo and the Dragon

System Message: In the year 2020, Earth was inundated by a sudden influx of dragons. However, the Japanese government fought back with the help of the courageous Murakumo Unit 13. Humanity was brought to the brink of destruction due to the power of the Half Dragon Mizuchi...

System Message: The name of the True Dragon has been obscured by a smudge...

I'm sure that the last reader was just careless with their books.

Certainly this is in no way related to how we murdered a True Dragon with a weapon explicitly designed to permanently kill True Dragons.

That'd be silly and nonsensical!

Pt. 2: Indomitable Spirit

System Message: A year after the Dragon Calamity of 2020, Tokyo once again fell into the hands of a True Dragon. This dragon's name was Fomalhaut. It brought along with it a black poisonous flower: Dragonsbane. The people of Tokyo were in despair, yet once again, Murakumo Unit 13 stood to fight. Emel, the head of Murakumo, unfortunately died before the mission was complete. However, duties passed to a man named Kirino, who went on to revive the Lucier Marina. With Marina's help, he created the Dragonslayer and successfully defeated the True Dragon!

This part is slightly off, however. Marina was already alive by the time Emel died, Kirino just took over the plan to create the Dragonslayer.

Funnily enough, the way the book is worded implies that Kirino himself killed Fomalhaut.

System Message: 2020 AD, and the year following, 2021... Due to the invasion of two True Dragons, the world lost 85% of its population and over 100 nations. However, these Calamities were put to an end thanks to the action and willpower of the dragon hunters. After that, mankind unified their calendar, which was renamed United Era (UE), and began to rebuild. Behind the scenes, Murakumo was absorbed into ISDF, the International Self Defense Force. ISDF then established a special research team led by the former head of Murakumo, Kirino.

That's not even 30 years ago, how do you lose all the work of one of the guys responsible for the continued existance of humanity?

System Message: Presently, the global population has rebounded explosively to 50% of its pre-Calamity total. Having overcome great adversity, mankind once again finds itself in a time of peace and prosperity. Records of Murakumo may fade over time, but their determination will live on in the heart of humanity. This will was steeled by the efforts of our predecessors, and so shall press on into the future.

Going from 15% of the population back up to 50% is a hell of a boost.

And now we can check back in with Allie.

Now then, Opal... What do you think of the 2000s?

I'm interested in Murakumo.

I, too, am greatly interested in Murakumo. They formed 100 years ago, so it seems unlikely that any of them would still be alive. But if they were, I'd certainly want to meet them★

Girl, we literally have three members of Murakumo's Unit 13 on staff.

You hired them.

~

Those people were amazing!

Indeed! To stand tall in the face of destruction not once, but twice is truly an incredible feat! But what's even more impressive is that they were able to repopulate to this extent in only 100 years. The possibilities for humankind are truly endless!

~

There was a smudge in the book.

So yeah, Nyala? Died at Atlantis. End of discussion. He does not pass Go, he does not collect 200 Az.

The game itself will never elaborate on what impact that would have on other games. Who was in charge of the 2020 invasion? Hell, who was in charge of the 7D1 invasion? gently caress off, don't ask such silly questions.

I'm sure everyone thought I was overexaggerating about how bonkers the plot gets. After all, everything up until now has been a fairly standard time travel plot, aside from that hamfisted 12000 year limit on the time machine!

But as of right now, everything starts to break down at breakneck speeds in a perfect blend of bizarre decisions and a budget consisting of belly button lint and an expired coupon for Radio Shack.

Welcome to VFD.

~~

OK OK★ Employee Training 2 has also turned out to be a resounding success! Here, this is your reward. Use it wisely★

You obtained SP Up 100 x3.

You obtained SP Up 300 x3.

As long as you continue to learn, you will continue to grow★

Next time: A filler dungeon. Also cats.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 20, 2023

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
lol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

At this rate we'll find out VFD characters can actually kill enemies in the other games somehow.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah turns out Nyala perma-died. This seems to be just standard time travel rules except thinking about that for a while reveals a lot of backlash effects that causes things to fall apart. So killing Nyala essentially deleted him from 2020 and 7th Dragon DS. The former would be fine... if it wasn't for the fact that 2 dragon invasions happened anyways. So uh. Who led invasion 1 then? Fomalhaut couldn't have done it since he led invasion 2.

BisbyWorl posted:

Oh hey, a joke that makes absolutely zero sense if you didn't play the first game!

...Do you want Unit 13 to die? I will not allow that.

Unfortunately I understand this joke all too well. :shepface:

If there's not a skill that's like, "Instakill enemy if easy X condition is met"... I won't do anything cause I ain't risking it but it sounds like the easiest way to top the powercreep so far.

At this rate we'll find out VFD characters can actually kill enemies in the other games somehow.

Any other prophecies you wish to share with the class? :v:

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Sooo... if you defeated all of the true dragons with the Dragonslayer, would that invalidate the existence of the Dragonslayer?

I know, we probably won't see anything cool like that since it'd end up erasing every single character in this game I'm sure, but it'd make for a better premise of a game. You go around, murder dragons, and screw the timeline so hard that you have to reroll your entire party (different mix of classes available) and they deal with the next true dragon instead. Keep the expected level cap low and have the number inflation come more from better equipment and you'd have a decent gameplay loop.

It was phasing out of existence to due timespace fuckery, but since Inoue had such a problem with it Valerie decided to keep it around instead of bending to the laws of causality.

Edit: Please don't tell me we have to actively power our way through the laws of causality in a cutscene at some point.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I see we're running on Back to the Future rules.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Araxxor posted:

Any other prophecies you wish to share with the class? :v:

Truly it's a heavy weight to have the gift of prophecy.

Sadly no more ideas. Maybe "we'll accidentally beat a boss we're meant to lose just because how broken the diffoculty is" and "Actually we were the dragons all along", but those are a given.

Edit: Also adding "The final dungeon will be inside a Nodens videogame". Because tjere has to be a bigger justification for Nodens being Nintendo besides recruiting people with 7th Encount.

...wait, does this mean we've retconned Kinu's LP?

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 16, 2022

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Come to think of it I've never had to post this on SA before but nah, Sympathy specifically can't lead to Code VFD in the state it currently exists in, for any number of reasons. I have lovingly constructed insulation against retcons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

what the gently caress did you do to my LP, Bisby?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
lmao get good

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Araxxor posted:

what the gently caress did you do to my LP, Bisby?

Whatever I want to.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Ok, my argument can't justify wholesale timeline retcons like this. Writing Time travel plots in legacy storylines is hard as it is but retcons this massive makes it almost indefensible. I still liked the game as my first 7th Dragon game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
there's nothing wrong with that, and i did too, it was also my first, for obvious reasons. but boy is it a silly video game that doesn't make much sense.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's gonna turn out Nodens is evil and it's true purpose is to gently caress over 7th Dragon LPers by literally rewriting their final bosses out of existance, for violating their copyright.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The true final boss was Mickey Mouse's lead IP counsel the whole time :ohdear:

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
General question, is there a game that goes for an unstable time loop? Character A goes back in time and changes thing Z, character A is erased, thing Z happens because character A doesn't exist, Character A now exists, Character A goes back in time and changes thing Z etc. etc. to the point that time becomes an absolute cluster because it can't make up its mind?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, those two missions? THOSE were the ones that made me go "WTF did I do?! ...oh god, how badly DID I muck up history?" On the plus side, it gave me some justification on how I could constantly swap out character models and leads, and no one would question it; history is that hosed because of me.

Still, how IS it that the 2020 games are still a thing, with Nyala permadead in Atlantis? What, do we take on VFD somewhere in the very, very distant past and lay an rear end whooping so hard it winds up making time vomit out a timeline free of dragons or something, and it somehow sorts itself out? :psyduck:

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

HAHAHA! Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Luninareph posted:

HAHAHA! Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.

SHUSH.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXII - Featuring: A cat-astrophe

~

Jealous Man: Grahhh! I'm so jealous.

There are a few new lines today, but the vast majority of them are the same as before.

Now that we've irrevocably altered the timeline and completely retconned the 2020 games, let's go hang out with our good friend Mio!

*giggle* You came...! Sorry for asking you out when you're so busy...

I'm glad you invited me.

Me too. I'm really happy you decided to come! Thank you... Thank you so much!

Um... *giggle* This is a little awkward... I'm kinda embarrassed.

~

What should we do for our date?

VFD making the party leader an actual character without caring about who the leader actually is strikes again.

Because, see, this isn't some friendly teasing, the game is 100% treating this as a romantic thing.

With a 14 year old.

Now, I mentioned that F-Samurai is basically the face of the series for all the 3D games, and F-Sam in VFD is canonically around 15-16 years old, and this would actually be fine there as a baby's first crush kind of deal.

The problem is that you could very easily be playing as, say, M-God Hand, and suddenly this all becomes incredibly sketchy incredibly quickly.

D-Date...? S-Sorry! I've never done anything like that before...! I um... didn't mean it like that when I invited you, but I guess you're right. This is a... date? I-I'm kinda embarrassed...

~~

A-Anyways, let's go! But I don't really know many fun places around here...

*gestures*

S-Sorry, I'm fine... Umm, Opal... Is there anywhere you recommend?

Anywhere with you is perfect, Mio.

*giggle* S-Stop that... You're making me all dizzy... ...

~

Somewhere with a view sounds nice.

Somewhere with a view...? We could've gone to see the cherry blossoms if it was a bit earlier in the season... Cherry blossoms... Just thinking about them makes me all dizzy...

~~

S-Sorry... I'm just feeling... a bit out of it...

Music: Stops

Thankfully, our date with Mio is cut short.

As she has a sudden bout of Dragon Sickness.

Hey there, Yoritomo, fancy meeting you here.

Unit 13, did you notice anything strange about this girl? Did she mention any symptoms to you?

She was energetic as always...

Then is this just anemia...? No, I don't think it'd be that simple...

~

She was coughing a lot today...

Coughing...!

The game also treats this as a dramatic reveal when... we sorta already knew she had it?

Like, you even get to do the whole 'my friend has this issue,' thing with Allie when we first got hired, it should not be a surprise by now.

I will carry her to the Medical Floor. You go ahead and tell them I'm coming!

*nods*

Music: Re:Vanishment (code:VFD Ver)

Doctor Hori: It would be best if I tell you as plainly as possible... It's just as Mr. Yoritomo says. This girl has Dragon Sickness.

She seemed alright to me...

Doctor Hori: In its early stages, Dragon Sickness doesn't differ much from a common cold. It is only after the dragon miasma spreads through the body that serious symptoms begin to appear.

~

I thought so.

You can even confirm that you know!

Doctor Hori: I see... And yet you still treated her as a normal girl. I'm sure that brought her great joy. It can be difficult to act as though nothing is wrong when a friend has Dragon Sickness...

~~

Doctor Hori: To tell you the truth, there has been an increase in Dragon Sickness patients recently. This girl was suppressing her symptoms with medicine, but she has taken a turn for the worse. She must be quite fatigued. She tried very hard to help out with her navigation skills.

Green hair? Incredible navigation ability? Slowly killing herself by using said abilities? She must be related to the NAVs from 2020.

Can there be no hope for a full recovery?

Doctor Hori: There is no cure for Dragon Sickness. I assumed the ISDF Admiral would have known that. Luckily, her symptoms are still minor. We will be able to suppress them, at least for now. However, if you wish for her to be truly cured, you must destroy the source of the disease.

Oh, I...

So you found out about my Dragon Sickness, too... I'm sorry... I wanted to make today fun, but... I messed up again.

Doctor Hori: How do you feel?

Doctor Hori: There is no need to lie. You surely must feel the miasma coursing through your veins.

You're right... I've felt it for almost five years... but my grandpa has always treated me.

Doctor Hori: Your grandfather? Is he involved in medical practice?

Yes, he's a doctor... His name is Mikio Nagumo.

Doctor Hori: Mikio Nagumo? Is that the same Professor Nagumo, from the ISDF Life Science Lab on Mt. Fuji!?

I'm pretty sure he quit a while ago, but yeah.

Doctor Hori: So you're Professor Nagumo's... The thought did cross my mind. Nagumo is a rare name, after all.

Is he really that famous?

Nah, he's just a normal old grandpa. He's working as a local doctor at a small clinic now.

Dramatic irony!

Doctor Hori: No, no! Professor Nagumo is an amazing scientist!

~

Please just check on Mio.

Doctor Hori: Oops, my apologies. I let myself become too excited. However, Professor Nagumo is an amazing scientist!

~~

Doctor Hori: He sparked a revolution in life science! Anyone who has had even a minor amount of experience in the field reveres him as a god! I did hear he quit ISDF, but to think he's retreated to a small clinic... My apologies. I let myself become too excited. It's important we focus on the girl right now. For now, we need someone to come get her. If it's Professor Nagumo, we have no need to worry.

Um... To be honest... I'm living by myself right now... I usually live with my grandpa, but... He's out of town on a business trip right now... It's OK. I can do it myse—

They really aren't bothering to hide that Yoritomo is Mio's dad.

Ah...! I-I'm sorry!

Doctor Hori: Hmmm. I don't mean to pry, but... what about your parents?

My mother and father are... gone. I don't have anyone but my grandpa...

Doctor Hori: I see... You should remain hospitalized here until Professor Nagumo returns from his trip.

No... I'm really OK now. My grandpa told me not to cause people too much trouble...

You're not causing trouble.

Doctor Hori: That's right. If something were to happen to you, I'd never be able to look the professor in the eyes.

~

You're important to us.

Doctor Hori: That's right. So, how about it? Opal insists.

~~

But...

I believe the professor is at ISDF HQ. I will contact him. That should solve our problems.

OK... In that case, um... thank you...

Why are you being so nice to someone like me...?

The sole purpose of my existence is to ensure the safety of our citizens. Furthermore... you mustn't be so self-deprecating. Try to be more confident.

Doctor Hori: Well then, let me begin preparing for your hospitalization.

I'm sorry, um... This might sound a bit strange, but... I have a pet cat at home... If I'm not home to take care of him, he might...

Doctor Hori: Ah, I see... That is a problem. However, it would be irresponsible of me to let you leave. Opal... Could you go inform Ms. Allie of the situation?

I'm sorry, Opal... I'm really sorry things turned out like this...

We'll beat this sickness together.

...! Mhm... You're right. I... won't lose to this sickness!

~

We can have another date later.

H-Hey... Don't talk about that in front of the doctor...!

Doctor Hori: Ah, how good it must feel to be young and in love...

~~

Doctor Hori: Well, leave the rest to us. Please report to Ms. Allie about the situation as soon as possible.

Music: A Place to Come Home

Your liver, hm...? I suppose it can't be helped. I'll have to massage it for you★

No, stop! It'll explode if you try and massage it with that brutish strength of yours!

*chuckle* Don't be so shy★

I'm not!

Good timing, Unit 13!

Oh my. Why do you all look so serious? What's wrong?

We get a fade to black as Opal explains.

OK OK★ Mio is an important teammate. She can stay here as long as she needs to while she recovers★

Wh-What about the cat?

Ah, right. I'll get someone to bring it here later.

W-Wait... You're going to keep it here?

*chuckle* It's time for a special Allie suggestion!

I'm afraid to know... What's this suggestion of yours?

And just like that, we've gone from acknowledging Mio's impending death to cuddly cat cafes.

A—A cat cafe... Surely you can't be thinking of putting such a ridiculous facility in here...!?

I most definitely am★ I'm sure many people like cats other than our little Miss Mio.

If there's one of those places in this building...

*chuckle* If you don't like it, you don't have to go.

B-But... But, but...!

But cats are so cute.

I know, that's why...

~

Do you hate cats?

N-No, it's exactly the opposite!

~~

Hellooo~! Earth to Julietta!

Agh, see! I'm only thinking about it and that's enough to distract me! I can't handle it!

*chuckle* You just don't get it, do you, Julietta? Seeing that reaction out of you makes me want to build this cat cafe even more★

Y-You demon...!

*chuckle* What's wrong? It's important to have a place to relax from work.

A place to relax that is also in the building, giving more incentive to employees to just stay at work and never go home.

Anyways, now that that's all settled... Unit 13! It's up to you to gather the necessary Dz for our cat cafe!

I'm sorry, what?

That's it. That's the entire scene. Allie just dumped cat catcher duty on us with no leads on where to find any cats.

Maybe Yoritomo will know where to find some cats.

Professor Nagumo is participating in an important ISDF project. He won't be home for quite some time. How is Mio doing...?

*gestures*

I see. So she is going to be hospitalized here...

Is something bothering you?

No... It's nothing.

~

You're very kind, Yoritomo.

That's quite bold of you...

~~

By the way... I heard you were searching for lost cats.

...That was seconds ago. Do you have the War Room bugged or something?

*nods*

I believe I saw four of them on my most recent mission to the Tokyo Underground. They were most likely left there by owners who could no longer take care of them. How horrible... Hm... I suppose I am not one to talk... Goodbye for now, Unit 13.

Holy poo poo he actually does.

And with zero fanfare...

Music: UE77 Tokyo

The Tokyo Underground opens!

It doesn't even have any dragons or anything, this is 100% a filler dungeon.

Music: Tokyo - Cascading Ordeals

While every area in Atlantis got their own music, the Underground has to share with 7th Encount.

And a cat cafe? Really? This is pointless... Why not shove some Lucier in there too? Then we can make it a cat ear cafe.

*nods twice*

Don't look so excited about that! Quit it with the daydreams! Just hurry up and finish this crap! I'm sleepy! Take a look at your map. The SOS signal's been strengthened so you can see cats on there, too. It's just like Yoritomo said. There are four cats in total, so hurry up and grab 'em!

As for the dungeon itself...

They literally pulled it from 2020.

I guess the people of Tokyo just haven't bothered with trains for the past 80 years?

Music: Battlefield - UE77

We get some new enemies, but we're also stuck with the old battle music.

There's cat number 1.

You get a stock meow soundclip whenever you rescue a cat.

Oh wait, they made a few changes to the underground.

By which I mean they removed all side paths. Which made up the majority of the dungeon in 2020.

In VFD, the Underground is a literal straight line.

Not all the rescue markers are cats, some of them are civilians like normal.

Vacant Student: Is this... a rescue...? How great... I'm... going to... be OK... Oh boy...

A better look at the blocked off paths.

Here's cat number 2.

And that's the first area done.

Nakano Station is much shorter.

There's cat number 3.

Hey, Unit 13! Go save that cat before it gets turned into that thing's dinner!

Music: Battlefield - UE77

For a bunch of lazy bears, they're very proactive in trying to kill us.

Aiden's still stupidly good at crowd clearing, however.

Done.

There are also Blinding Mists and Ropers to go with the Stun Dekus.

Rude Scientist: These dragons are like, ridic. They want me to research that poo poo? No way, Jose!

And there's the last cat.

Look, don't do it, OK? No means no! But knowing you guys, you might still make it happen...

Nagamimi harping on about a Lucier cafe is foreshadowing the VFD Drama CD, which has exactly that happen.

The CD itself came out in...

...2019?

November 2019?

You're telling me that the Drama CD for a 2016 JRPG almost got caught up in COVID???

There's one last area to clear out.

And that's it.

Music: UE77 Tokyo

That was the entire dungeon.

Next time: Cat cafes. Also 7th Encount.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 20, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
From learning of an incurable sickness infecting their friend to picking up stray cats for a cat cafe. Unit 13 has their priorities straight.

At least this isn't screwing up the timeline again.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

BraveLittleToaster posted:

From learning of an incurable sickness infecting their friend to picking up stray cats for a cat cafe. Unit 13 has their priorities straight.

At least this isn't screwing up the timeline again.

YET.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Well, something in the timeline is still broken, given that we have misplaced pieces of subway filled with monsters just sitting around in a peaceful city

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Also, delayed response since I didn't get the joke until I read some other responses in this thread. I'm now kicking myself over missing this top-tier reference and image combo while giggling.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXIII - Featuring: Another filler dungeon

Alright, we got the cats.

Let's go make that drat cafe.

Well done! Now you can rescue even more lost cats. It'll really help calm our workers down too, so you'll be killing two birds with one stone★ Oh, right. A guy from ISDF just brought Mio's cat over, too. Unit 13, go tell Mio. I'm sure she'll be thrilled★

Oh, sorry! I forgot to mention— Ichiro is my cat's name... You know how my name ends in o? It's like a zero. And what comes after zero? One! One in Japanese is "ichi,” so I named him Ichiro! He's like a little brother to me. *giggle* Thank you so much for doing all this for me... I'll need to make sure I thank Ms. Allie later...

Didn't you hear? Admiral Yoritomo requested I bring the cat over from the Nagumo residence.

Hey Yuma, give me a minute and I'll get to your quest.

You got Ichiro for me!?

He didn't seem very comfortable at first but now he's quite happy in the cat cafe. You should go visit him once your condition is stable.

I will...! Thank you! But... why is Mr. Yoritomo being so helpful?

Truly a mystery, that.

It seems Professor Nagumo and the Admiral go quite far back.

He's friends with my grandpa...?

I would be revealing classified information if I were to speak any further on the matter. I suggest you talk to him if you want to know more. Anyways, it's time I take my leave. See you.

I hope I get better quickly so I can pay everyone back!

You'll be cured soon.

But, Opal...

~

Just concentrate on recovering.

No... As soon as I can get out of bed, I'm going back to navigating.

~~

Modern science doesn't have an answer for Dragon Sickness. You can slow its progress, but there's no cure... I might as well do what I can while I still can... Oh! M-My symptoms are still minor, though! Nothing drastic is gonna happen any time soon! They told me I can go back to living a normal lifestyle, at least for now... You know, Opal... Ever since I learned I was sick, I thought there was no hope... But now that I know how much time I have, I want to use that time to help people, however I can. So... I'm going to work as hard as I can as your navigator!

*nods*

Thank you! OK! I'll get better quickly! Oh, and Opal... This is a thank you!

You obtained Venom Cut x1.

You obtained Mio-Made Cookie x1.

You obtained Cat Pendant x1.

It's kinda childish, but it's a good luck charm I've had since I was a kid. Also... O-Once I'm better, um... do you want to continue our date...?

*nods*

I'm so glad~! That was my first ever date... I can't just let it end like this~! Alright, it's a promise! *giggle*

Wh-What!? When did you get here!? I was kinda bored... Um... *giggle* This is kinda embarrassing...

The Mio-Made Cookie is effectively a full party MN heal, and will still give a good chunk even by end game.

The Cat Pendant, however, is worse than the Lesser Bracer we got earlier.

Now, where is the cat cafe?

On the other side of the Medical Floor.

Tough luck if you need to see the doctor and have cat allergies, I guess.

The mat is also a pun.

The cafe is named Nyadens in JP, natch.

Meow-nager Ai: Here you can use Cat Food to help bring about a moment of purr-fect relaxation. Playing with the paw-esome cats here will fully restore your LIFE and MANA! Plus, you'll even get skill points from the cats' power! Then if you upgrade the cafe later on... Well, I'll leave that as a purr-prise for now! This isn't anything major, but please accept it as a gift of appurr-eciation from the cats!

You obtained Cat Food x1.

Meow-nager Ai: Please stop by any time you'd like. I'll be waiting fur you. Meow!

We finally have a purr-pose for all that cat food we've been getting from Dragonsbane Seeds: the cat cafe acts as the replacement for the sauna in 2020.

From here on out, cats will appear in all dungeons for us to rescue, so we'll have to keep an eye out for them.

Music: A Place to Come Home

You gained 300 SP.

You can talk to the cats, but they just meow at you.

I have a lot of cat food on hand.

So I turn it into a free 3000 SP for everyone.

Team 2 gets some cat time, but everyone in the party gets the SP regardless of which team is in front.

Up next is that training session with Yuma.

I see that you've accepted my request. Thank you for your cooperation. There was something I was looking to confirm today. A joint training session seemed like the best opportunity to do so.

Bring it.

*chuckle* This is exciting. You seem to be quite motivated.

~

We should just fight each other.

I understand your sentiment, but let's save that for another day. There is a reason I chose 7th Encount as our training grounds today.

~~

7th Encount... As a measuring tool for fighting ability, it is surprisingly accurate. Its flashy exterior was able to draw a large number of users for them to select from... You were but a mere amateur, and yet in a short timespan you've grown immensely. Enough to wield the Dragonslayer and defeat a True Dragon.

Even I'm surprised.

How humble of you. But I think it is clear the battle in Atlantis was no miracle.

~

But I'm not match for you, Yuma.

That is only a matter of battle experience. You will grow even stronger with more time.

That is true, we don't even have our Tier 3 skills yet!

~~

Anyway, I thought this game would be an ideal way to test the extent of your current abilities. And... I wanted to compare your abilities to my own.

*nods*

Thank you. Let us begin. I'd like you to have all six members with you, Unit 13. However, I shall go alone.

Again, there's no one in the pods.

These things must beam you off to cyberspace or something.

I've experienced simulation training at ISDF, but... The accuracy of this simulation is incredible. I can understand why it is so popular. Can you hear me, Doctor Julietta?

Is the tuning complete?

Just as you requested.

I asked the doctor to adjust the level of the monsters to a more appropriate setting.

It should be balanced to be slightly above your battle capabilities, Unit 13. Sheesh, I'm already swamped and you have to come along and add to it with such an interesting job...

I'm grateful you chose to accept this unreasonable request of mine.

It's no problem. As promised, we'll be measuring your vitals as well, Yuma.

I expect that will merely become the reference for ideal soldier performance. I don't mind.

Hmph, if you're lacking in anything, it's certainly not confidence. Alright, it's all set. You guys are free to do whatever you want in there. Don't get too steamy~!

Unit 13, I will not cover for you. I expect you to treat me the same way. Even if things get dangerous for me, do not step in. Just focus on your own survival.

*nods*

Also, just in case...

You can't go wrong with a free 900 LF worth of healing!

Things may get quite intense in here due to the rebalancing, so please use this when necessary. Let us begin!

This is just a third trip through 7th Encount.

Although this would be our first time back if I didn't have the DLC.

But the fights are now scaled up, so at least we can actually get SP now.

We got some new enemies at least. The other one is a Nighthawk.

Yuno used part of her cafe SP to nab her last T2 summon.

Bizarrely, while her other summons use enemies that match the point where she can use them, Summon: Ltg IIBatteryman Charger summons an enemy from the bonus dungeon.

There's nothing on 1F.

But there's an event marker on 2F.

The marker is a dragon.

Unit 13, stand back. I will test the extent of this rebalancing.

*nods*

*giggle* Show us what you got.

I expect I'll need about 20% of my power...

Oh god, he's gone full anime.

My body feels so light... Everything seems to be in order. It appears the third installment was successful. With this power...

This can't be...! The difference between you and Unit 13 wasn't this vast back in Atlantis...!

What's so strange about it? Just as Unit 13 grows, I too grow.

Did you say this is growth? Those numbers can't be written off as something as simple as that. This is just not possible... Surely I made a mistake in the balancing process. Unit 13! Show him what you're made of! Take down the next dragon!

There's another marker on the next floor.

With another dragon.

Music: Battlefield - Furious Predator

A new dragon!

It hurts.

Ow.

Aiden hits harder.

It dies.

The cyber dragons still give Dz, in case you were wondering.

That means... the incredible numbers from that boy were the correct values!?

It's hard to believe that you had zero true battle experience until only just recently. However... from what I've seen, it is clear that you've yet to adjust to battling as a team. When fighting a strong enemy, coordination with the rest of your unit becomes very important. Keep that in mind in the future. If you hone that ability, you will be able to grow even stronger.

Oh don't you worry, Yuma. Opal will get very, very good at fighting as a team...

*nods*

Now then, let us continue.

And that's it for the floor.

Although these Leader Pods are new.

3F has another event.

Also recolored worms.

I bet it'll be another dragon.

*nods*

Hm...? Hold on a moment. It's just as I thought. The ability of this game to recreate dragon behavior is... amazing. Unit 13, there is a dragon hiding in the shadows over there. What a devious move by the doctor. When you go to attack the dragon ahead, the other will come and ambush you from the side.

I can handle it.

*chuckle* I knew you would say that. We seem to be quite similar, Opal...

~

You want this one?

No, I'll leave this to you. I told you earlier, didn't I? I want to see your true strength. I know you haven't shown me everything you have to offer.

~~

How does that count as in the shadows?

As you might expect, that second dragon will break in after the first turn.

The Twinhorn Dragon isn't as bad as the Tyrano.

But then his good buddy the Bloom Dragon shows up.

Having to deal with four attacks a turn is rough, plus the Bloom Dragon likes to stick the entire party with Blind to drag things out.

But they just can't break past my invincible strategy of 'just spam items lol.'

So they die like the rest.

On the plus side, we've pretty much broken even on the cost of the cat cafe!

Next time: Even in death, Nyala gets zero respect.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 20, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXIV - Featuring: Nyala as a unit of measurement

You were able to deal with multiple dragons in a manner usually reserved for experts. Furthermore, it appears your evolution continues even in this virtual world... You truly are—

*shakes head*

No, I mustn't speak too soon. Ah, but I can give you one piece of advice. As you just saw, dragons may sometimes appear in places you cannot reach them. If such a situation arises, you can purposely have them ambush you in order to fight them. This skill will come naturally to you with more experience. Try it out if you have the opportunity.

It would have been nice if we had any ambush-only dragons in previous dungeons. That way new players can already know about unreachable dragons, then get the solution spelled out to them if they couldn't figure it out on their own.

Let us see who can reach the top floor first!

That's it for this floor, all that's left is the roof.

That was approximately four minutes quicker than I expected of you.

I lost...

In truth, I had a large advantage. It wasn't a fair fight, so don't worry about the outcome.

~

Is that it?

Was that not enough of a workout for you?

~~

*nods*

*sigh* It's been some time since I've found training to be so... enjoyable. Let us finish here for—

Unit 13 might have shown us their full power, but the boy from ISDF hasn't yet, now has he? You get a special stage, courtesy of adorable old Julietta.

Then suddenly...

Nyala out of loving nowhere!

He's gone from final boss, to bonus boss, to act 1 boss, and now he's a literal punching bag.

I've made an enemy you won't be able to beat even if you use every last ounce of your energy.

*chuckle* You are quite devious, Doctor Julietta.

To defeat Nyala with just one strike...

And Yuma just one shots a True Dragon just to show off how strong he is.

Welcome to VFD.

Now, while this does show off just how powerful Yuma has become with three True Dragons installed, it also has the side effect of dooming him to irrelevancy.

One day, you shall see my true strength...

This data will need thorough analysis. This is incredible.

Because at this point, Yuma's just too strong for the narrative to support. If he can one shot True Dragons, that means he'll have to suffer a malfunction every time we get near one or else he'd kill it before Unit 13 could do anything.

You flatter me, Doctor.

It's the Superman problem, really. When you're so above the power scale compared to everyone else, the plot has to conspire to hold you back so everyone else can do things.

Yuma will be able to take out some normal dragons here, maybe do some offscreen work there, but at the end of the day this is Unit 13's story, so he'll have to be forced to the sidelines so they can save the day.

As I expected, there is still currently a large gap between our abilities. I am sure you will quickly reach this level, but by then... I will have gone a step further.

Sounds like we're rivals.

Rivals... That may be the case, but there is simply no chance that I will lose.

~

I'm going to catch up to you.

No. You will never be my equal.

~~

*chuckle* Let us return to the real world.

With that, I must return to ISDF headquarters. Enjoy the rest of your break. But don't relax too much. I feel the final battle will be upon us soon enough.

*gestures*

Don't you sense it? There has been an increase in reports of vicious monster attacks. The number of cases of Dragon Sickness has spiked as well.

Dragons are strong creatures. Compared to normal dragons, True Dragons are not only intelligent, but extraordinarily powerful. However, I believe the most superior life form in existence is... man.

You're probably right.

I'm glad you agree. Most people laugh at me when I bring this up.

~

Why do you say that?

It's simply a rational analysis. Our traveling to the past and defeating a True Dragon is clear evidence of my assertion.

~~

I was brought to life to prove that humans exist above dragons. That we are the superior being. Hence my surprise at learning of your existence. I never expected there to be other dragon hunters. I am sure we will be able to push each other onward in the future.

You obtained 2,000 Az!

You obtained Stamina Bento x1.

We also get some food from this.

Finally, we have Eigur'sthe mystery man's quest.

I'm here for your request, Eigur.

...! Don't be so loud, you idiot! *sigh* Even though I put the request in anonymously, you still knew right away...

~

Calm down.

D-D-Don't say stupid stuff like that! I-I-I'm obviously super calm! Tch... I should've known I can't fool you...

~~

I guess I can admit it— I'm the one who had those twins put the quest up. But just to be clear, I didn't ask you about this for Ulania's sake. It's just, if she gets all sad, everyone else around her ends up down in the dumps, too. All those guys can cry and complain all they want, which helps them feel a little better... But it's hard for someone in Ulania's position to complain, don't you think? If she stays depressed, she'll just make everyone else feel bad again. Can you take her somewhere to try and cheer her up?

*nods*

It's up to you. A-And I'm making this request as a representative of the people of Atlantis, nothing more! Don't you dare go associating my name with this, Unit 13!

*nods*

Elder Court Lady: That sounds like a good idea, Lady Ulania. Staying in this room all day will only worsen your mood. I suggest you go out for a change of pace.

But I cannot leave everyone...

This will help them.

It will help my people...? I see. If you insist...

~

It's OK every once in a while.

Once in a while...? But can such a thing truly be appropriate at a time like this?

*nods*

Hm... I see. If you insist...

~~

I shall be absent for a short while.

Elder Court Lady: I understand. Enjoy your day, Lady Ulania. Unit 13, I leave the care of Lady Ulania to you.

...? Eigur, I am going out with Unit 13 for a short while. Will you be accompanying us?

Y-You should just go. Why do I have to come, too!?

Eigur sucks at subterfuge.

I see... I suppose you are busy handling the other evacuees. Please take care of them while I am gone.

Eigur... Is there something wrong?

Why would there be? Ha, hahaha! Just hurry up and go!

Where do you want to go?

Let me see... I have hardly left my room, let alone this floor.

~

How about somewhere quiet?

Somewhere quiet...? If you wish to relax, then...

~~

How about the terrace where we gazed upon the ocean a few days ago?

...A few days ago? We did that just yesterday.

Ulania is simultaneously tagging along with the party and relaxing in her room.

... Allie informed me that this world is also under attack by dragons... And that you came to Atlantis to stop that attack from taking place... Um... There was something I wished to ask: Did our actions change the history of Atlantis at all? I see... There was no change. Atlantis disappeared from maps, and the Lucier race was decimated.

We royally hosed up Tokyo's history, however.

If only I was stronger.

Do not say such things! I did not mean that in an accusatory manner. If anything, I should be thanking you. There is no reason for you to feel ashamed.

~

You are all alive though, Ulania.

That is indeed true. If I had not met you... I have many reasons to thank you, yet none to complain.

~~

You did everything you could.

Do you... truly believe so? But I was so afraid... I...

~

Nobody has that strength.

Indeed, even you who had the strength to defeat Nyala could not save my kingdom... However, I fear you speak the truth. Most would freeze when facing the despair you conquered. Even so, I...

~~

Hm... You are able to go back in time, are you not?

And here's the part that every time travel story has to be very very careful when dealing with: The inability to avert whatever tragedies the cast wants.

I wish to save both my father and my kingdom... Is that an impossible wish to hold?

*nods*

...?

*sigh* You always have the most unreasonable demands...

Don't worry, Lady Ulania. It's only natural that you'd think like that. However... it's just not possible. An immense amount of Dz is needed to open a Portal to a new age. And besides, my device can only take you to certain time periods, no matter how much Dz you use. It works by finding the temporal distortions caused by the entropy emitted by a True Dragon's coming. We then connect to the distortions using Dz. You can't just pick a time and place you want to go to.

But couldn't you then just aim at when Nyala first arrived and start helping out on day 1? Dude had time to get settled in.

To be honest, I just want to see what would happen if we kill Nyala before we killed Nyala.

Will we be able to in the future?

Hmm... I can't say for sure. But besides, doing so will only bring you pain.

~

So there's no way?

There'd be no point even if there was. Our future'd be completely separate from that point in time.

~~

This, of course, rings utterly hollow now that we've completely ruined 2020.

Time paradox...?

By changing the past, you change the future. But... does your will carry into that future? In this situation, the likely result would be creation of a separate parallel world. In other words, once you change something in the past, a new world... a new future is born.

...Actually, poo poo, what if we are in a parallel world after killing Nyala, and there's a version of Nodens where everyone who went to Atlantis just vanished into the ether?

A new world... Then my meeting you and forging the Dragonslayer... would never have happened?

Not to the Lady Ulania of that new world.

Even though I made this machine, not even I can mess with the fabric of time. It's pretty cliche, but what's important for you is to act in the present day.

I agree with Julietta.

You are correct... My regret for my failings of the past will not fade... But it is pointless to regret that which I cannot change.

~

Let's do what we can right now.

What we can...? I lost so much, yet I am still able to forge a new future for myself...

~~

...The fog looming over my heart seems to have lifted somewhat.

Oh, it's no problem~! I love taking pure little young'uns under my wing. Come again whenever you'd like~!

I must do what I can to lead the surviving citizens. That much has become very clear to me. Since meeting you... I have been reborn into someone completely new. You went against the desires of your superiors in order to save my people... I hope to live my life to the fullest in order to repay you for your determination.

*nods*

You're right!

Yes... I appreciate your vigor. So, where will you take me next?

~

Let's just get you home already.

How rude... As the one who invited me out, you have a responsibility to fulfill...!

~~

Hm, I have always wanted to go to the plaza. Let us continue this there.

Jealous Man: Dayummm! That girl's freaking gorgeous! Who the heck is she!? And who's that with her!?

Maniacal Man: O.M.G! Cat earsss! And those clothesss! Argh... She's perfect in every way! Why don't I have my camera? I need my cameraaaaaaaaa!

Do you mind if we walk around for a bit?

*nods*

There are several markers on the map.

Talkative Young Man: Such generous use of high—quality materials... Well, well... I'll be looking forward to season two. Don't worry, I am an expert on everything, ranging from the economy to girls' underwear. I know quality when I see it. Speaking of which... Those cat ears are... incredible.

...The gently caress?

Maniacal Man: Just stunning. Ha! Ha! Ha! You could be a real hit!

Jealous Man: I just want to go home and rest my head on those silky smooth legs! I want her so baddd!

~

Excited Man: Yeehawwwwww! Cat earsss! Girls of other species are just the bestttttt! Did I die and go to heaven? This girl is an angel!

Vacant Woman: I'm jealous of how good that looks on you~... If only I were eleven pounds thinner, three years younger, and two inches taller... *sigh* I suppose life isn't fair.

A cutscene starts after talking to the last person on the map.

So this is Tokyo... So many carefree people living their lives uninhibited in both words and actions...

Well, that's not quite right.

Is that so? But... the people here were inexplicably lively... I had always heard that species other than the Lucier lived vulgar and dangerous existences...

~

You're surprisingly well-adjusted.

I myself am surprised. Though I had trouble understanding exactly what some of them were saying... It is clear that even across species, boundaries can be broken by simply opening our hearts.

~~

The people of Atlantis only knew one civilization: our world of the sea. That is why our sorrow in losing it was so tremendously deep. However, I am sure this free world without barriers will provide hope to everyone. Then, when we one day revive our home of Atlantis, this land will be our second home.

I have faith in you, Ulania.

Thank you. Strangely enough, your words always bring me great courage. Even if it is impossible during my lifetime... it will surely be accomplished someday.

~

I'll help wherever I can.

Valerie... You have your own responsibilities. This mission was given to us and us alone. We cannot rely on you. However... Your words made me exceedingly happy. Thank you... Valerie...

~~

It is about time I return to my quarters. Next, it will be my turn to bring cheer to the people of Atlantis. I may not be as skilled as you at doing so... But I will lead the hearts of my people to the light.

*nods*

Well then, enjoy the rest of your day.

The cats we rescue aren't confined to the cafe, and will happily lounge around Nodens.

And that's the quest done.

And everyone else is cheering up, too! I knew I could trust you, Unit 13! Thanks! Here, this is a sign of my appreciation. I brought it here from home, but I can't really use it too well. So here, you can have it.

You obtained 2,000 Az!

You obtained Gumani Lorica x1.

We get some new armor for the tank classes.

You obtained Chokari Habit x1.

And armor for the others.

Ulania's looking ahead to the future now. I gotta do the same... Oh, sorry... It's nothing you have to worry about. Thanks again, Unit 13!

Eeheehee... Don't be afraid. This is good news. Just stop by the Conference Floor before bed.

Nagamimi calls once we finish the last marked quest on the list.

So let's just check in real quick.

My, you're so popular now~! No need to be shy! Popularity is a good thing! *sigh* I need to find a way to make a name for myself soon... I'm gonna wither away if I stay down in the lab much longer...

I thought the Dragon Chronicle was your baby, Julietta!

*sigh* Yeah, yeah... My precious, darling baby...

*chuckle* See? We're right above 50% now with only three of the specimens. Once we get the other three True Dragon specimens... the Dragon Chronicle will be 100% complete.

All that hard work paid off.

Yup yup! lt's thanks to you that we were able to reach this point, Unit 13★ Your progress is truly moving!

~

Let's go get the next one.

*chuckle* Someone's excited★

~~

Well, we have one more bit of good news for you guys!

We've been detecting a faint signal for quite some time now... But once we got our hands on the Nyala specimen, we were able to actually find it.

Which means... we now have a way to get to the next True Dragon★ Nobody in the history of the world has been able to complete the Dragon Chronicle yet... Achieving that completion is the key to defeating the 7th True Dragon, so... we can't fail★

Leave it to me!

*nods*

I'd expect nothing less from Unit 13!

I have high hopes for you, my little Nodens gems~!

~

We have to be careful, though.

Hm? That's not quite the answer I was expecting.

That boy and the old man from ISDF are gonna take your spotlight if you're too timid, you know?

~~

Well, that's all for today★

You're gonna have a brand new mission starting tomorrow, so you better go and get some rest.

You got it!

You obtained Energy Bar x1.

We also got a bunch of food for finishing those quests.

You obtained Crummy Energy Bar x1.

You obtained Scallop Bento x1.

The Scallop Bento is our first stat boosting food, giving one party member 1.2x MAT and MDF for 2 turns.

Considering the MAT-focused classes don't have basic attack buffs they can use on themselves, being able to give them a boost is really handy.

This is your reminder that Rune Knight is a MAT-focused class.

You obtained Abalone Bento x1.

The Abalone Bento is a sidegrade to the Scallop Bento. It only gives 1.1x MAT/MDF, but lasts for 5 turns instead of just 2.

There are too many signals... The search can't keep up...!

Unit 13, come to the Conference Floor! Hurry!

Music: Destructive Curse

This is the only new line I could find, and it was probably something I overlooked earlier.

Music: Endless Attack Cycle

Tokyo will soon be shrouded in red...

We cut to the Tokyo skyline.

Aaaaaaand we got Dragonsbane.

And a ton more dragons.

Don't ask how this invasion is treated seriously, while the last one that had the sky swarming with dragons got cleared out in a single night.

Indeed. The 3rd Tokyo Invasion, which will bring about the appearance of the 7th True Dragon...

poo poo...! Those dragon bastards... Atlantis wasn't enough for them, so they're here to destroy Tokyo, too...!?

No. Humanity will not fall to these dragons.

That's right. I believe in the power of humanity. We're going to get through this. I can sense it. However, you are still lacking the key we will need to do so. We must complete it as quickly as possible...

Next time: We go for a walk.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 20, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And now the dragon invasion actually begins. 3 chapters into the game compared to the other games where it began almost instantly or after the prologue. Apparently the previous mass swarm was just a scouting party???

No comment on the time travel fustercluck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XXXV - Featuring: Four goddamn field skills

We get another pan of the same skyline we saw 5 seconds ago, but with no swooping dragon this time.

What a situation. There are dragons all over the goddamn place.

I'll put the High Dragon signals up on the screen. Not that you'll see them among the other dragons.

The red circles continously fade in and out.

Plus, the 7th True Dragon still hasn't shown his face. The dragons that are here are pretty tame, at least for now.

Let's go help the people of Tokyo!

Right now, our first priority is finding the remaining three True Dragon specimens.

~

What should we do...?

Right now, our only option is finding the remaining three True Dragon specimens.

~~

ISDF should be able to handle this degree of emergency. Meanwhile, we're going to need you to go hunt the next True Dragon, Unit 13★

Tokyo under attack? Eh, just forget about it and go do your job, the army can handle it.

Yup★

Don't be so reckless! Tokyo is in chaos! Plus, Mio is still sick in bed... Sending Unit 13 out without sufficient support... It's a definite no from me!

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to let Unit 13 build up their strength here in Tokyo?

If we just wait around here, we'll all die of Dragon Sickness before the 7th even arrives. We must complete the Dragon Chronicle as soon as possible... Humanity is running out of time.

Well yeah, but...

You're right, Allie.

Thank you★

~

Where is this Eden place?

*chuckle* I see I've piqued your interest★

~~

*nods*

*sigh* Fine, we'll go ahead with the plan as scheduled...

The first place you'll be going is Eden's symbol of peace, the Kazan Republic. Another Dragonslayer exists there, with a True Dragon sealed inside. However... it's about to break free.

That's right.

After going back in time to Atlantis, we're now going to the very first game.

Get over to Chika’s desk and build the Tokyo Evac Ward and the Portal Expansion. If you don't have enough Dz, just go and hunt down some of those dragon assholes. Thanks a bunch.

Construction is now available for the Tokyo Evac Ward.

A new chapter means everyone has something new to say.

~

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention. Julietta did a little bit of investigation... Apparently, Haze is the youngest and most belligerent of all the True Dragons★

Eigur and the ISDF show up as soon as we leave the War Room.

Unit 13. ISDF HQ has sent out warning alerting civilians of the situation in the East District. The Special Tactical Force has been ordered to commence dragon extermination immediately.

I'm gonna go help out, too! It's the least I can do after what you guys did for us in Atlantis!

*shakes head*

No. They are about to travel to yet another time period...

*nods*

What...? You serious? Your country's getting attacked! Is that really what you wanna be doing right now!?

Yuma will keep Tokyo safe.

Yes. We have a good idea of just how many High Dragons there are in the area.

~

We need True Dragon specimens...

Yes. That is the most important thing right now.

~~

We will deal with the High Dragons here and join up with you in Eden as soon as we can.

While we're over in the future hunting down True Dragons-

What the hell? Why do I get left out of the loop...? Heh, whatever! That means I get to take down Unit 13's share of dragons here!

Yuma, Yoritomo, and Eigur will be having their own little 7th Dragon 2020-III.

We will not see a single moment of it.

*chuckle* Indeed. Eigur and I shall handle the dragon problem here. As planned, you should continue on and look for the next True Dragon, Unit 13.

*nods*

... ...What is the condition of your navigator?

You mean Nagamimi, right?

What...? Just... forget it.

~

If you're so curious, go visit.

Hmph. It's not like seeing me will help...

~~

At the moment, Professor Nagumo is researching a Dragon Sickness serum at the Fuji laboratory. Hence, he's unable to return to Tokyo to take care of that navigator girl. Could you let her know that?

*nods*

Well then, we should be going. Be safe, Unit 13.

Later, Nagamimi. We have things to do.

Music: Let's Get to Work!!

Like building more floors.

Oh, so Nodens can do refugee housing, they just really wanted the people of Atlantis to figure out how to share six beds.

Now to do our rounds.

¬

Jealous Man: If only I was strong enough to fight...

Maniacal Man: I still have a huge stockpile of tickets! Hahahahahahahahahaha!

I just noticed the Pale Young Man is gone... :smith:

:stare:

Envious Woman: B-But I'd never do that! Of course not! I mean it! Haha...

~

Bartender: There is no need for pessimism. You are not the one who caused this violent disturbance. All I can say is... you are strong. Strong enough to change the world.

~

Skilled Man: Shoot... I, the Crimson Hunter, failed in my last mission... If only I had practiced more...

Wandering Lucier: I wish they had just stayed in the game...

Lonely Girl: I'm afraid of being alone... I just want to see my brother again...

Now that things are going south for Tokyo, the mood has started to drop.

Job Seeker: Maybe I could appeal to the higher-ups if I had more personality...

Hardworking Man: I can't stop coughing, and I'm getting chills, too... *cough*

~

Aaron: There have been a lot of people in here lately. I can't slack off in peace anymore. drat... It's gonna be a real struggle finding another place to relax...

Iori: Times like these call for a nice cup of coffee! Coffee will help us find a solution to this problem...

You obtained Optical Camouflage x1.

Because we haven't spoken to Mio yet, there's no cutscene to open up Kazan.

After spending the entire game until now saving Lucier, it feels weird to have a new human face in Nodens.

Waiting Woman: No matter how long I wait, he won't be coming... *cough*

Developer Kirk: But 7th Encount should cheer everyone up in this desperately gloomy time! *cough* *cough*

Was there a script rewrite around here or something? Because, again, the dragons have already invaded. It was at the very start of the game and everything.

~

Defeated Soldier: I heard that Dragonsbane has begun appearing here... I will help fight if you need it. I am a soldier, after all. Besides, I need to repay you somehow. I won't lose.

Mature-Looking Boy: She's so cute... It was love at first sight...

Ray: That's it! If I make a horror game, I'll be able to draw all the gross monsters I want!

Adachi: We've been using it for debugging in 7th Encount, but maybe it'll be of more use to you someday.

I'm sorry, why is there a field skill hiding behind a completely unmarked conversation?

Anyways, Killer's Attract is a renamed Out Hunting from 2020. It lets me trigger a random battle at will instead of needing to run around in circles.

Lionel: What's wrong with this country!? People don't stop working, even when they're sick and tired...

And you're in game development, which is like a twofer of utterly hosed working conditions!

Sorta undercuts how serious things are when everything looks the same as always outside.

Like, slap some Dragonsbane on those distant buildings, put a few ISDF soldiers out front to protect the citizens, do something to drive home how bad the situation is!

Future Pop Star: I'll invite you to one of my concerts! It's thanks to you guys I'm alive, after all!

Jane: I made you a skill that can heal a person just like a snail heals itself... Please use it!

I'm sorry, what?

We got First Aid (Medium) not even an hour ago from Yuma, we didn't even get to take it to a serious dungeon before it got outclassed!

So yeah, we're in the middle of the game and now we have close to 3000 LF worth of entirely free heals, on top of being able to sub out a damaged team until they gain a level to fill back up.

Doctor Hori: It's all because of those High Dragons that have appeared in Tokyo...

Well-Bred Boy: I think it's because you came to visit me. *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Sorta hosed up how this kid was dying of Dragonsbane from the moment we saved him, only to start getting better as soon as everyone in Tokyo is getting hit by Dragonsbane.

Novice Smith Cub: Yeah, I should probably go see a doctor. I don't want to go spreading this around.

~

Shy Girl: I've heard that cats have a strong sense of danger... Maybe they came here because they sensed the coming danger...

~

Tohma: With me as a lookout, nobody suspicious will come anywhere near Lady Ulania!

Calm Court Lady: Her smile shines much brighter than it did in Atlantis.

~

A world even farther into the future...? Even in such a distant time period, humans and dragons continue to battle...

Maya: Hm... I heard there are Lucier from places other than Atlantis... Even some from Tokyo...

~

Milra's Grandmother: *cough* *cough* I apologize for such unsightliness... Please do not tell Milra...

Chief Toglau: It appears that no matter where we go, there is no safe haven...

There's a cat on one of the beds. :kimchi:

~

Talkative Scholar: So dragons exist here, too... What exactly are they? And who are we to combat their will...?

Lookout Girl: The environment's different, but I'm OK knowing that Eigur is nearby. I can't thank you enough for your help.

Next, we have our shiny new Evac Ward.

Cold-Hating Soldier: This Tokyo place is amazing, by the way. If only we had access to electricity in our era...

~

Soldier-Like Man: Oh my! You are the ones who rescued me from the sealed district... And you even defeated Nyala!? How could I ever repay such great kindness...?

...Why are the first two people we see in the Tokyo Ward not even people from Tokyo?

Patient Woman: I'm sure ISDF will handle everything. Let's just wait here until this all blows over.

~

Shiro: Thanks for taking the time to build this Tokyo Evac Ward. This is a gift from all the refugees.

You obtained Rogue Band x1.

Soup Kitchen Worker: It'll let you move around without getting noticed by dragons, so it's super useful! Even the strongest warriors get tired from constant fighting. Please use it!

Why are there so many Field Skills gated behind unmarked conversations?

Trapped Employee: She's supposed to be giving birth any day now... I need to reach her as soon as I can.

Asuka: Speaking of which, Professor Mikio Nagumo is the most famous Dragon Sickness researcher.

Now-Awake Woman: It's all because I'm able to get some solid sleep, no matter how busy things get.

Minato: Whoever has to manage all of those people has a huge responsibility. Managing books is hard enough!

Proud Old Man: I'm doing great, too! I don't know what to do with all this energy! Gwahaha!

~

Focused Boy: *sob* Mom, dad...

Researcher Mitch: I'm sure someone like you has many many many friends! Transcend time to conjoin with them!

~

Director Yoshida: It looks like we're making games, but we're actually working on all sorts of weapon prototypes! I'm only handling EX Skills, though. I'm EX-traordinarily close to finishing.

Finish faster, drat you.

Researcher Joe: However, it seems completion of the Dragon Chronicle is the only way...

~

Ami: Powerful monsters have appeared alongside the High Dragons, but ISDF forces are handling it all!

Marco: Maybe once the dragons are gone, I'll look into this country's culture... I'm excited! *chuckle*

~

Amanda: Heyo! This is the result of my research! I know you've got a bunch of field skills, but this one's the best! Come home whenever you want~

...I don't even care anymore.

Vacant Student: Back then... nothing mattered to me... I couldn't think straight at all...

~

Intelligent Boy: Hey, Unit 13... Do you think Tokyo's gonna end up unlivable, just like Atlantis did? I really hope not.

~

Lucas: Why have things gotten so hectic now that we're so close to completing our research...? It's almost like someone's trying to interfere. Could it be... the dragons?

All that's left is the Skylounge.

Kuroki: I wish I had learned how to play when I was young...

And done.

We just have to talk to Mio, then we can set out for the far future.

Next time: Kazan, but not as you know it.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 28, 2023