Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

Nah Maro said on his blog that they would never reprint it regardless of backs. Obviously corporate has decided that's not the case.

Tournament legal was the actual policy, 'at all' was just their stance at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Uhhh yeah I do not want to topdeck a Mox Emerald on Turn 8.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Simply Simon posted:

I played against this deck twice, once even with the Micromancer combo, they made big turns (two in a row even!), played a bunch of Lotuses and Moxen, then eventually I did get a turn and my lovely zombie deck ate their face. I think they forgot to put in a wincon, unless it's "lol I ancestral recall into time warp", which is p win tbf
yep that's the problem jim found, it's kinda difficult to actually win with it. You can blink the poo poo out of the little jerk and fill your deck with 8 copies of the power nine which is pretty funny, but then you have to do something with it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I got my 30th anniversary SL Kit / advent calendar... unfortunately they didn't gently caress up my order and give me double

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m playing murktide online right now - match 5 with a trophy on the line. My opponent is on burn and it’s game three. I have telegraphed I’m holding up counterspell with lethal on board, opponent is hellbent. I pass the turn and see in chat

“Get wrecked”

Hits me with exquisite firecraft. Lmfao

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Leperflesh posted:

This is a good post about Commander.

Let's stop having another rehash of "commander: bad? or not bad?" in the thread, thanks. It's been done to death, and there's also a separate Commander thread.

If only.

Guys I'm kind of sick and have been busy with family stuff and my sick cat so I'm sorry this thread got ignored for like three days. Please don't use a gap in the attention of mods as an opportunity to be assholes to each other.

I'm late to this, but oh no! I'm wishing the best for your cat. :(

Also, I recently got back into Magic, and have already spent too much money. But, I really love playing commander with buds.

The 30th stuff, is just grossly priced. I hate it. Everyone I talk to about Magic hates it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gynovore posted:

The price you pay to topdeck a Time Walk on turn 8.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

yep that's the problem jim found, it's kinda difficult to actually win with it. You can blink the poo poo out of the little jerk and fill your deck with 8 copies of the power nine which is pretty funny, but then you have to do something with it.

It should have added the Power 9 plus Channel and Fireball.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gynovore posted:

yeah, that's why it's not a busted card on its own
it's real clean design imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LGD posted:

upkeep isn't a particularly interesting mechanic inherently, though "ongoing costs for above rate [thing]" is certainly workable design space, its just that most upkeep stuff wasn't particularly good/above rate (otoh cards with ongoing disadvantages that were above rate did see extensive play: i.e. Ernham, Juzam, Serendib)

cumulative upkeep definitely has a lot more going for it as a mechanic since the timing component makes it inherently interesting and scaling stuff (or not) is easy and has a bunch of mechanical space to work with (plus stuff like Psychic Vortex where the "upkeep" is an advantage) - but by default it's also harsh enough that the payoff needs to be really good to make it worth playing (Mystic Remora is a pretty good example of most of these aspects)

echo and fading/vanishing cover a lot of the same space respectively and imo generally do it better

Mystic Remora was the one that got me thinking about the mechanic, albeit I misunderstood it initially. Most of the other ones I've seen randomly were not good enough to use even without upkeep. I do like the idea of cumulative cost and tax on certain things, could even be a kind of balance check to early advantages from steamrolling. Mythic Rares kinda seem to be lacking a balance or tradeoff for it's optionally increased power per mana, dunno how upkeep/tax might play into that.

Echo and such are good spins on the same idea and I haven't played with em much yet, I think I will keep that in mind for a deck theme eventually.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Gynovore posted:

with this version you do!

this was mostly stolen from crokeyz with a bit of tweaking the numbers. i added the paradox engine because it makes going off so much easier, especially if you're too low on life for bolas' citadel

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Time posted:

I’m playing murktide online right now - match 5 with a trophy on the line. My opponent is on burn and it’s game three. I have telegraphed I’m holding up counterspell with lethal on board, opponent is hellbent. I pass the turn and see in chat

“Get wrecked”

owned

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Captain Invictus posted:

Do people not play song of creation in that deck?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

“Get wrecked”

lol spicy

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Mystic Remora was the one that got me thinking about the mechanic, albeit I misunderstood it initially. Most of the other ones I've seen randomly were not good enough to use even without upkeep. I do like the idea of cumulative cost and tax on certain things, could even be a kind of balance check to early advantages from steamrolling. Mythic Rares kinda seem to be lacking a balance or tradeoff for it's optionally increased power per mana, dunno how upkeep/tax might play into that.

Echo and such are good spins on the same idea and I haven't played with em much yet, I think I will keep that in mind for a deck theme eventually.

oh yeah, nearly all of those original cumulative upkeep cards were horrendous/unusable and nearly instantly recognized as such in their original context

the entire low-powered time period of The Dark->Homelands was pretty wretched and any given set only really contributed a tiny handful of standout cards to tournament decks, which otherwise leaned heavily on core/earlier sets

Ice Age was better than the other sets in that time period, but was still low powered and didn't really buck that pattern, since its profound/defining impact on early M:tG came through Necropotence, with most other cards being roleplayers (Demonic Consultation, Incinerate, Icequake, etc.)

the jump in card quality from Mirage on was extremely noticeable and heartening (Alliances actually had a ton of powerful/impactful cards but the overall feel and design was uneven/weird/transitional)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MasterBuilder posted:

Do people not play song of creation in that deck?

intriguing

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

lol thanks LR!

lmao I remembered that they got some sort of crypto sponsor around the time I stopped listening to them, but I forgot it was FTX specifically. Has Marshall posted any kind of mea culpa for promoting them yet?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gynovore posted:

I play it in my Lagrella bouncy Historic Brawl deck and it's hilarious about 10% of the time and absolutely useless the other 90% so pretty on brand for the deck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

lmao I remembered that they got some sort of crypto sponsor around the time I stopped listening to them, but I forgot it was FTX specifically. Has Marshall posted any kind of mea culpa for promoting them yet?

They did about 10 mins on it at the start of an episode a few weeks back but too little too late imo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Entropic posted:

it would be very wise of him to keep his mouth shut, considering there's going to be an army of well-funded lawyers looking for anyone to sue to recover money for FTX

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People who received money to advertise for a product or company have zero liability when that company implodes or has committed fraud etc. and it'd be completely absurd to do anything else.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

As with everything legal I doubt it's as simple as that. Podcasts aren't out here advertising Pablo's Cocaine or whatever.

That's probably a conversation for another thread though.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

A big flaming stink posted:

this was mostly stolen from crokeyz with a bit of tweaking the numbers. i added the paradox engine because it makes going off so much easier, especially if you're too low on life for bolas' citadel

This looks fun as hell. What kind of win rates are you putting up?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

People who received money to advertise for a product or company have zero liability when that company implodes or has committed fraud etc. and it'd be completely absurd to do anything else.

they don't have legal liability but they do have liability to me calling them shitheads, laughing at them and thinking worse of them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

people who advertised FTX have literally already been sued

i am not saying the lawsuits will succeed but i am saying it is a good idea when there are a bunch of lawyers with very sympathetic plaintiffs to, uh, be very careful about what you say because defending against lawsuits costs money even if you win

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

How does this work?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Soooo... uhhhhh... the wincon is infinite Time Walks?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LGD posted:

oh yeah, nearly all of those original cumulative upkeep cards were horrendous/unusable and nearly instantly recognized as such in their original context

Counterpoint: Delusions of Grandeur + Donate :getin:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Silhouette posted:

extremely fair, and I can't believe I forgot about it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A card so unplayable players would just give them away!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
cummulative upkeep (and related: Sagas) are gonna make a comeback in BW for me, because there are now four permanents that can remove time/lore counters

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Silhouette posted:

Mmmmmmm… forbidden donate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New stuff from the upcoming Explorer Anthology 2 on Arena

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

New stuff from the upcoming Explorer Anthology 2 on Arena

Other cards we know: Satyr Wayfinder, Eidolon of Great Revels, Courser of Kruphix and Fiery Impulse

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Factoring in costs to design and produce there’s a very real chance Wizards loses money on this stupid venture lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

people who advertised FTX have literally already been sued

i am not saying the lawsuits will succeed but i am saying it is a good idea when there are a bunch of lawyers with very sympathetic plaintiffs to, uh, be very careful about what you say because defending against lawsuits costs money even if you win

lol god I want to see that and show it to the lawyer thread

mcmagic posted:

they don't have legal liability but they do have liability to me calling them shitheads, laughing at them and thinking worse of them.

I mean, hell yes, that was very dumb and I'm sure plenty of their own fans told them so at the time too. But like... the amount of people swindled by the allure of crypto is enormous, are they going to sue steph curry and larry david?
This poo poo was advertised during the super bowl, a ton of people were fooled into thinking it was legit.

e, Oh my god they are well OK I stand corrected!

Go get 'em!!!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 29, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leperflesh posted:

are they going to sue steph curry and larry david?

Literally yes, probably.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/16/tom-brady-gisele-bundchen-larry-david-sued-by-crypto-investors-after-ftx-collapse/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LGD posted:

the entire low-powered time period of The Dark->Homelands was pretty wretched and any given set only really contributed a tiny handful of standout cards to tournament decks, which otherwise leaned heavily on core/earlier sets

Ice Age was better than the other sets in that time period, but was still low powered and didn't really buck that pattern, since its profound/defining impact on early M:tG came through Necropotence, with most other cards being roleplayers (Demonic Consultation, Incinerate, Icequake, etc.)

the jump in card quality from Mirage on was extremely noticeable and heartening (Alliances actually had a ton of powerful/impactful cards but the overall feel and design was uneven/weird/transitional)

That's wild, had no idea. I kinda assumed these old sets I browsed full of just lovely cards were actually full of little gems that had their time to shine only back in the very early metagames and formats. Seems the reality was for a long time they kinda printed crap without too much of an idea what would be played with much of it and the road to sets being something fun in limited environments was a longer road than just alpha/beta. This somehow doesn't make me want to draft a crusty ancient set any less, especially if it wasn't designed for that environment.

I opened some Strixhaven packs last night and I wasn't around to play it, but going through the packs without knowing anything from the set, I still kept finding familiar cards. A card that's just Epic Confrontation with diff costs and art, same for Broken Wings. Which with a few more drafts under my belt makes sense, keeps a green deck feeling like a green deck across drafts. but it also kinda made these mysterious new-to-me strixhaven cards feel less exciting in a way since I'm starting to be able to expect/predict certain things in each set (and i assume this will also translate to me being able to appreciate the unqiue cards and little things that make a draft environment different than others).

In any case, will probably always have an underlying desire for some weird limited environment where these super lovely old cards are actually things you consider putting in deck on purpose. I guess what I'm really describing is a cube made up of exclusively terrible cards, such that less-terrible ones become bombs through merely approaching just-mostly-unplayable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

That's wild, had no idea. I kinda assumed these old sets I browsed full of just lovely cards were actually full of little gems that had their time to shine only back in the very early metagames and formats. Seems the reality was for a long time they kinda printed crap without too much of an idea what would be played with much of it and the road to sets being something fun in limited environments was a longer road than just alpha/beta. This somehow doesn't make me want to draft a crusty ancient set any less, especially if it wasn't designed for that environment.

I opened some Strixhaven packs last night and I wasn't around to play it, but going through the packs without knowing anything from the set, I still kept finding familiar cards. A card that's just Epic Confrontation with diff costs and art, same for Broken Wings. Which with a few more drafts under my belt makes sense, keeps a green deck feeling like a green deck across drafts. but it also kinda made these mysterious new-to-me strixhaven cards feel less exciting in a way since I'm starting to be able to expect/predict certain things in each set (and i assume this will also translate to me being able to appreciate the unqiue cards and little things that make a draft environment different than others).

In any case, will probably always have an underlying desire for some weird limited environment where these super lovely old cards are actually things you consider putting in deck on purpose. I guess what I'm really describing is a cube made up of exclusively terrible cards, such that less-terrible ones become bombs through merely approaching just-mostly-unplayable.

It's worth remembering that unlike even other long-lasting card games (L5R, YGO, Pokemon), MtG had absolutely no precursors to learn from. Objectively it's easy to look at something like Black Lotus and go "that's loving busted why do that" but it makes much more sense if you acknowledge that Richard Garfield designed Alpha expecting casual play in small groups and with extremely limited product. His idea was that Black Lotus wasn't degenerate for the game overall, because there'd maybe be only one copy of the card, and you'd hear about it as a legend from the next town over, and no one was ripping enough cards to get a set of four.

Expansion sets were just getting other groups to try and develop cards and see what interesting stuff they came up with. There's a lot less cohesive design in those early bits because absolutely no one knew what that was and yeah, just printed stuff to see what stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Khanstant posted:

As teenagers we used to do this at a friend's house, one guy in our group had a ton of random crap from early sets and we would dump it on the floor, pick up a few handfuls, then try to make a deck out of the cards you grabbed and called it "floor sealed". It was a blast.