Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Australia Blitz is so cool when you actually manage to do it but yeah, it's tough to actually pull out. I think I saw an article by Mark Herman ages ago which showed how to activate to do it.

EDIT: where did you plonk the HQ to cover it?

Saw the position on twitter, actually, so I can't speak to the HQ position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I need to dig up that article, it had a play by play on how to do it.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

FMguru posted:

RIP to John Prados, designer of many wargames (most importantly and influentially Avalon Hill's 1974 Third Reich)

https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2022/december/memoriam-john-prados-1951-2022

The last game he worked on Beyond Waterloo is coming out in early 2023. The company he was working with posted an article he wrote about the game as an update for Kickstarter and his attention to historical detail and how it affects his games is just amazing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waybeyondwaterloo2/beyond-waterloo-2-revised-and-expanded-reprint/posts/3387433

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

does anyone know where i can grab a set of replacement stickers for Napoleons Triumph? the ones that came in the game were not very sticky at all and it seems the simmons games website has been shuttered 😪

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sleekly posted:

does anyone know where i can grab a set of replacement stickers for Napoleons Triumph? the ones that came in the game were not very sticky at all and it seems the simmons games website has been shuttered 😪

Certainly using some glue would be easier

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Photocopy or scan the stickers and print on labels ?

I picked up Siege of Mantua from Hollandspielle earlier this year. They found a printer that could print directly on the wood blocks; they look great. It's an interesting system. It's the usual block-based fog of war with point-to-point movement. Combat is resolved on a tactical board with linear tactics. You draw the units for each battle out of a cup, as units gain experience you sub better units into your force pool.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Sleekly posted:

Like the previous poster suggested, I think it's time to break out the glue.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah glue seems the best option but i was hoping to avoid it, thanks guys

mllaneza posted:

I picked up Siege of Mantua from Hollandspielle earlier this year. They found a printer that could print directly on the wood blocks; they look great. It's an interesting system. It's the usual block-based fog of war with point-to-point movement. Combat is resolved on a tactical board with linear tactics. You draw the units for each battle out of a cup, as units gain experience you sub better units into your force pool.

that does sound cool

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Pretty sure I glued mine but I definitely varnished over them.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

cenotaph posted:

Pretty sure I glued mine but I definitely varnished over them.

also a winning idea! most of my stuff is hex and counters so im just not used to these practical ideas, i stop fussing once i clip the last counter usually.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Picked up Absolute War! I don't think anything else in my collection is quite this involved. Now to find a few dozen hours to play the full campaign.

Actually the 4-turn scenario focused on Stalingrad is a little more tractable. Might get a chance to play this soon, though I'm definitely sticking to the basic rules instead of the standard.

Nice production quality on these components.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What are the mechanisms like? Is it anything like No Retreat? I was curious about it but I'm kind of worn out of Paradis designs after No Retreat Case Yellow, which was dogshit.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tekopo posted:

What are the mechanisms like? Is it anything like No Retreat? I was curious about it but I'm kind of worn out of Paradis designs after No Retreat Case Yellow, which was dogshit.

I think it's basically the same pitch: operational Eastern Front game, not that many units, theoretically playable in a long day. I've never played another Eastern front game so I don't know how common the mechanics are in either game, but I can tell Carl Paradis made a lot of effort to change the mechanics a lot. The cards are split into Soviet and German decks with both Event and Offensive cards, and there's quite a bit going on there:

The biggest changes seem like area control instead of hexes (with a kinda complicated stacking mechanic), a wider range of units (separate air units, large armies and smaller units with some specialization), and the combat resolution via cards and a sum of combat factors instead of an odds-based DRM with die roll.

One thing I am not crazy about is the readability of counters.

The explody stars indicate combat strength. White stars apply only on defense, red are attack only, gray are for defense and attack, while yellow can be used for attack, defense, and support. The yellow ones with a gray circle, obviously, count as yellow during German initiative turns but white gray when the Soviets have initiative. So combat isn't exactly maximally streamlined but I can see the reason for the complications.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 22, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I’m gonna be honest, with my eyesight I’d go and trying to tell the difference between grey and white

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

there's quite a bit going on there:

Hey wait a minute

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I got Absolute War off of the p500 and haven't had anyone to play it due to it being released after quarantine time and work. That being said, I read through the rules and scenarios when it came out and I was disappointed because it's really not simpler than No Retreat and there's a lot to keep track of for offensives and battles between the stacking modifiers and cards. Although, like I said, I haven't had a chance to play it, but I have played No Retreat and didn't really find that to be very difficult rules-wise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I have Absolute War, understand it, and would absolutely be willing to play it, but it is definitely fiddly for its counter count- it almost has to be to retain depth. No Retreat! required some understanding of the basic geography of wargames, ZoCs in particular, to play well. Absolute War! gets rid of that, but it's still got some fiddliness to try to wring depth out of a game with so few units.

That's generally the price you pay- you can have a low unit count game, but to get depth there has to be a lot more going on with the units. Nevsky has very few units on the board at a time, but to get depth, it has to have its fiddly transport system.

GCACW has very few units that move in many of its campaigns, but the price is every unit has several statuses and creates a huge stack of markers, and there's a lot of intricacies to things like retreats.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
...is that picture for the hitler's war card a frame from the the Charlie Chaplin movie The Great Dictator?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Impermanent posted:

...is that picture for the hitler's war card a frame from the the Charlie Chaplin movie The Great Dictator?

It certainly ain't Hitler.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Impermanent posted:

It is.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That's extremely good.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Got in some Absolute War with the Barbarossa scenario running basic rules (many simplifications: land units can't stack together, no small units, no events, no offensive cards, etc). It goes till turn 6 (Apr '42) but the German player resigned on his turn 4 after some dramatic setbacks. Most dramatically, his armor pushed a salient into the area west of Kharkov and the Panzer stack used mobile exploitation to push into the city. I launched a desperate counterattack in the mud and cut off Karkov and the tanks and then held off his relief effort. My impression of the scenarios is that they can be pretty brutal when the attacker's plan goes awry like this. I don't see how he could have threatened Moscow or Stalingrad in the next couple turns. The campaign likely involves more swinging back and forth, as the German player doesn't need to attack so greedily.

The scenarios all have special victory conditions but I am feeling like they aren't all that balanced. Stalingrad is very hard for the Soviets to win because they can only make 3 attacks on each of 4 turns. Bagration is very easy for Soviets to win because all they have to do is expel the Germans from the red-dotted region and take some of Greater Germany, which is easy due to their huge materiel advantage.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 22, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Holy crap, I think I need to buy this now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cessna posted:

Holy crap, I think I need to buy this now.
This and not the game where Hitler is summoned by playing three other cards?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The Chaplain pic sold me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

The Chaplain pic sold me.

Wrong guy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ah, did I spell "Chaplin" wrong?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Absolute War living rules displayed in Chrome or Edge:

In Firefox:

fml

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Did they edit the doc with...hmm...font packs that the Chromium PDF viewer can't display?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In Firefox:

fml

EDIT: I can't read, ignore this + the screenshot that I cannot remove because I used SA's attachment feature...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In Firefox:

fml

What ruleset are you playing with -- Chrome's or Firefox???

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Got every World in Flames thing for christmas, feels good.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ahh, the ol cock n balls. What a bizarre yet groundbreaking piece of cover art.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Panzeh posted:

Nice! Do you have the table/floor space for the grand campaign?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hypnobeard posted:

Nice! Do you have the table/floor space for the grand campaign?

Not yet. I'll be playing on VASSAL until i get into a house.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

get clipping, soldier!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Holy. poo poo. GMT finally tried to charge me for Russian Campaign. I think I P500'd it in like... 2016? 2015? I wish it had gotten here before my dad passed away a few months ago, as Stalingrad was the first wargame we ever played together. Better late then never :v:

Unrelated: I thought this was cool: https://www.csis.org/analysis/first-battle-next-war-wargaming-chinese-invasion-taiwan

The system they used looks mildly similar to the Marines' OWS (Operational Wargame System). Based on the PDF report, I think they compacted the time scale, as they were wanting to restrict scenarios to a single day.

Here's the operational map:

Hexes are 600km vs 200km in OWS, and turns are 3.5 days vs 1 day in OWS. (Next War is 3.5 days.) Now, in OWS, from what I've seen, they use fairly intense ground combat maps, as can be seen here:

Meanwhile, here's the CSIS ground map (from the PDF):

That's 30km to a hex. I forget what OWS uses, but Next War is 12km, IIRC.

Anyway, I've skimmed the report and they ran 24 scenarios, and the results were... well about what one would expect, I think. Most scenarios resulted in U.S. victory but at huge costs in naval forces and manpower. And of course Taiwan is just wiped out.

I do really wish OWS were available publicly. I think it would be really interesting to set something like that up for a gaming convention or something.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh nice! Congratulations on the P500, I'm waiting for Silent Victory's 3rd printing to hit 500 this year. I live far, far away from my old gaming group and would love some little solo games.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

EDIT: Sorry, I went to the wrong thread!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

think u want the other boardgame thread