Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Crespolini posted:

Tried to read a few of these and definitely felt the same way. The magic stuff didn't seem to entirely fit, and sometimes it wasn't clear clear what it could do or not, or why it was needed for the story. The more grounded stuff would have been stronger on its own.

Exactly. It always strikes me as odd to include obviously real-history-inspired political structures and societal rules when there's literal, extremely powerful magic floating around. Like why is your society led by a military aristocracy when some individuals are just walking artillery pieces without needing any membership of that class? I think it all comes back to the trope of kings (actual historical kings) having court wizards and mystics hanging around. Which obviously just meant talking a load of bollocks about astrology. Then you paper DnD wizards, which were originally conceived as a fantastical alternative to siege engines for a wargame, over that societal position, and you end up raising a lot of questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This afternoon we finished the dragon show and it was ok? Much better than expected.

Mostly annoys me that GRRM and his nazi pals suck so much, and I'll never get to see the conclusions for my non-existent boy Willas and his equally cool siblings who either don't exist or get blown up. "Where did the most beloved noble family and all the food go?" "Eh."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Florents deserve Highgarden.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The Florents deserve Highgarden.

The Florents deserve to get a big swift boot up the rear end and enjoy it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Not even Stannis really likes the Florents

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

bobjr posted:

Not even Stannis really likes the Florents

He doesn't reall like anybody, though.

Except Davos

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Stannis likes Shireen. That is canon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Stannis likes Shireen. That is canon.

Yeah he likes... to set her on fire :haw:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
GM has set up a Patreon for asoiaf stuff. Guess he's broke or something?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

Exactly. It always strikes me as odd to include obviously real-history-inspired political structures and societal rules when there's literal, extremely powerful magic floating around. Like why is your society led by a military aristocracy when some individuals are just walking artillery pieces without needing any membership of that class? I think it all comes back to the trope of kings (actual historical kings) having court wizards and mystics hanging around. Which obviously just meant talking a load of bollocks about astrology. Then you paper DnD wizards, which were originally conceived as a fantastical alternative to siege engines for a wargame, over that societal position, and you end up raising a lot of questions.

Yeah, I think you're very right about that, especially the court wizard/demigod problem. It stops feeling organic very quickly.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Woodpile posted:

GM has set up a Patreon for asoiaf stuff. Guess he's broke or something?

can you post link?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There patreon doesn't seem Asoiaf related apart from the name: https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/01/18/reaching-out/

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Comments are disabled for this post.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

pidan posted:

There patreon doesn't seem Asoiaf related apart from the name: https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/01/18/reaching-out/

I cannot make heads or tails of this. It could just be him lending his name and clout to raise money for some local causes, or it could be him wringing the last dregs of money from Asoiaf fans now that the Dragon House show has been moderately successful in taking some of the stink off the IP.

Probably a combination of the two, like 30/70 in proportion.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the uncertainty in the Rail Road Labor Markert might be at play here.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Mat Cauthon posted:

I cannot make heads or tails of this. It could just be him lending his name and clout to raise money for some local causes, or it could be him wringing the last dregs of money from Asoiaf fans now that the Dragon House show has been moderately successful in taking some of the stink off the IP.

Probably a combination of the two, like 30/70 in proportion.

He's rich as gently caress, I can't imagine this being his idea. This is from his "minions" probably who are already running their own Patreon and OnlyFans, and figured why not for this other dumb poo poo too. I would send them money if

quote:

Subscribe now and you can see the full video showcasing the original table top games that inspired Wild Cards!

If that was video from them actually playing back in the 80s or whatever.

edit: his minions. https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/12/31/merry-minions/ not all surprised its 6 girls and 1 guy.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 27, 2023

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If GRRM doesn't have TWOW written in the next two years he'll have spent more time not writing the book than he did writing the other 5 books

1996-2011 he wrote AGOT-ACOK-ASOS-AFFC-ADWD (and it took him 6 years between AFFC and ADWD, so he wrote 4 books in 9 years)

It's been 12 years since ADWD.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If he does not finish the series by 2028 it will have taken longer than the actual war of the Roses, with armies and battles and all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

must be pretty interesting to have zero intent in actually finishing the thing you're working on while being fully duty bound to keep the pretense.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think he's too busy taking his private railroad back and forth between castles to give a gently caress. Maybe once in a while some intern throws together a blog post. Of course the alternative is a second Mercy chapter so we should probably be glad the old pervert isn't actually writing things.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Mike N Eich posted:

No, that can't be right, if it was that long ago then that means -

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

must be pretty interesting to have zero intent in actually finishing the thing you're working on while being fully duty bound to keep the pretense.

On the other hand, it must be really loving sweet to literally have so much money now you never have to work another day for the rest of your diminishing life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mike N Eich posted:

If GRRM doesn't have TWOW written in the next two years he'll have spent more time not writing the book than he did writing the other 5 books

1996-2011 he wrote AGOT-ACOK-ASOS-AFFC-ADWD (and it took him 6 years between AFFC and ADWD, so he wrote 4 books in 9 years)

That's not really fair. Dance is ripped out of Feast, and a good rear end chunk of Winds is ripped out of Dance. The man has taken 22 years to release 80 percent of 1 book.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kylaer posted:

gently caress.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kylaer posted:

And yet somehow GRRM has looked consistently like this

for the last 20 years.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet somehow GRRM has looked consistently like this

for the last 20 years.

He's a million times happier then any of us will ever be.

..fucker

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I wish he would just finish his books, or more realistically give his notes to someone and have them finish. I reread some of my favorite chapters last week and it's honestly among the best fantasy writing I've read. Though imo the story is already a bit bloated even by book three, the Dorne stuff especially is sort of looming in the background and the Dany story is already spinning its wheels a bit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's cool because the books will be finished when he dies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Barreft posted:

..fucker

Millions of dollars and sunday night football. I'd be happy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's also at a financial level where he can almost afford to go for treatment any time he wants

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Barreft posted:

..fucker

He's a Jets fan, no he isn't.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

DaysBefore posted:

I think he's too busy taking his private railroad back and forth between castles to give a gently caress. Maybe once in a while some intern throws together a blog post. Of course the alternative is a second Mercy chapter so we should probably be glad the old pervert isn't actually writing things.

What if that is all he's been writing. 20 years worth of files like mercy_seduces_jon.wsd. 1000s of them. When he was talking about burning his notes - this is what he loving meant. He wasn't being a dick when he said that. It wasn't:

"When I die I'll take the ending with me, HAHAHAHA"

it was

"When I die, Ty Paris is gonna burn that poo poo before anyone sees it"

Considering how the original book was written I can guarantee you there has already been written a sex scene between John and Arya, and an imagined sex scene between Tyrion and Arya. 100%.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does he still use interns? Are they unpaid?

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Invalid Validation posted:

pretty sure he has paid assistants at this point

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

Do the two Scandinavian Nazi fucks that co-write his fake history books count?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

George does have a fondness for pale, white haired, blue eyed people. Probably just a coincidence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He likes that vampire look.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

TERFherder posted:

pretty sure he has paid assistants at this point

Looks like they get paid commission off of whatever they can scam on GM's blog.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Platystemon posted:

He likes that vampire look.

Those FEVRE RIVER Grmmlins group name is a reference to his vampire book. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fevre_Dream

nine-gear crow posted:

Do the two Scandinavian Nazi fucks that co-write his fake history books count?

It's seems like a bit of hyperbole to call them Nazis - at least based on what I've read. It reads like they want the physical characteristics of the actors to match the books. Which I'll grant you is racial in many cases. But like these two also flipped out about the show changing the sigils of some houses.

The whole issue is really messy in general. Can you cast an abled actor to play a disabled one, or is that taking jobs away from disabled actors? If you cast a white actor as an Asian one that is "white washing". Even having a white person translate a black author gets to be problematic. There is this really confusing line ( at least to me ) about where race can and cannot matter. Or if it even exists.

There is a degree of "suspension of disbelief" that is going to be different for everyone watching the show. For some people, having a black actor play someone that is written as pale/white - it's gonna look odd. But that's true with any physical characteristic, whether it is purple eyes ( or Blue in Dune ), casting actors as family that don't look related, or whatever. Obviously dyed hair ( Kelly-C ). Personally I don't give a crap if someone wants to cast some greek gods as different "races". My suspension of disbelief can take that in stride. But if Kelly-C had been cast as a black actress, and her brother was pale white- I think it would look odd. Especially with a major storyline that deals with hereditary traits like hair and eye color. I mean it's not like it would be the end of the world, but if the goal of the show is immersion, it would certainly break it at first.

I'd like to think it a complicated enough issue that it is possible to have differing opinions without making someone racist.

I mean gently caress those two, just because they are grrm spergs. I'm just not sure pushing for a "white" looking character as part of a "white" looking family is exactly crazy talk. It just seems like ... casting. But if someone can help educate me on these issues, I'm certainly open to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Oh, that's all they did? Lol.