Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hilario Baldness posted:

It's just largely an incomplete game. The main story is like ten hours long. There isn't enough variety of enemies or scenarios.

With the DLC content, it could maybe be a complete game worthy of the hype that it generated, but right now it ain't that

I mean Dead Space isn’t 10 hours long even with the new side quests.

10 hours is a perfectly fine length for horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

e. The Infected DLC suit looks hilarious during talking parts

Isaac that's not how helmets work!!!!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Callisto's alien goop looks nastier than DSR's alien goop, and the toilets aren't even a contest.

My grotty goop-stained toilet

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I missed most of it because Nvidia had to update for the 45th time this week and didnt have recording on, but I made a little "oopsie" with my line gun alt fire and accidentally made a unicorn from hell that was charging at me with a beam of death.

https://i.imgur.com/Bq3CF6e.mp4

e. The Infected DLC suit looks hilarious during talking parts

When you wear it they should change all your voice lines with the zombie voice lines from saints row 3

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bugblatter posted:

I mean Dead Space isn’t 10 hours long even with the new side quests.

10 hours is a perfectly fine length for horror.

I’m barely halfway through the game and I’m at over 6 hours. My initial playthrough of OG Dead Space clocked in at almost exactly 12 hours.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I’m barely halfway through the game and I’m at over 6 hours. My initial playthrough of OG Dead Space clocked in at almost exactly 12 hours.

Yeah, I believe that. Some people might take 15 hours in either game. My first play through of DSR was 8 hours with all three side quests. Some others might skip those side quests or be more skilled and finish faster. That’s how average playtimes work.

Anyway, I think that 10 hour average is good for the genre. Most recent RE games (Except RE3R) clock in similarly. When a horror game stretches longer, even when it’s great (Alien: Isolation), it kind of becomes fatiguing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The average is 12 hours for DSR. I’m just playing chapter 11 and I’m at 12 hours so my guess is around 14 for me. I really like to savor horror games or games with a lot of atmosphere and just take my time and look at all the cool environments and make sure I checked every corner/ kill every enemy. I’m sure I could get though it in much less but I don’t see the fun in rushing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My first playthrough was so long that the ticker rolled over to 25 hours and thus my Hard save claims I beat the game in an hour.

Who doesn't love a good harmless day one bug :allears:

I looked at like every wall, ceiling, floor and advertisement admiring the detail work though. Game really deserved it! Ten hours sounds about right for this one if you haul rear end everywhere while still returning to the other decks for side quests. My pinky hurt a little from holding down shift after my second session of Impossible!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 4, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, looking up actual metrics (Well, IGN guide's user poll... it's the closest to a real metric I could find), the remake's average is 12 hours while Callisto's is 10. Anyway, I think 10 hours, maybe a hair more or less, is the right target for the genre.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Dead space has replay value though

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RatHat posted:

Eh, I guess that NG+ has the 12 collectibles to find, but otherwise, it's the same as Callisto on that front. Kinda wish it had more Capcom style post-game challenges.

My only point was that a campaign in the range of 10hrs is fine for survival horror. Dead Space is fantastic and vastly superior to Callisto, in case anyone thought I was making an attack?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

RatHat posted:

I've already started my first NG+ so it should be fun. God I love the upgraded flamethrower! Burn you fuckers!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just finished up run 2 and got the secret ending

This poo poo's the platonic ideal of a remake

Do you have to do anything specific for the secret ending or just finish it on NG+?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you have to do anything specific for the secret ending or just finish it on NG+?

There are 12 marker fragments you have to find and put somewhere

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

crucially, it also has excellent gameplay, and not merely serviceable gameplay that occasionally devolves into an outright broken melee minigame

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bugblatter posted:

Kinda wish it had more Capcom style post-game challenges.

Not really the series for it.

So, I think my Save is hosed. I'm on Chapter 11 and I'm supposed to meet Kyne, but he never shows up. Nothing I do will trigger him to fly in.

Is there any way to track the things you collect in NG+? I don't see a place where they're tallied and I don't know how many I got.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I guess that NG+ has the 12 collectibles to find, but otherwise, it's the same as Callisto on that front. Kinda wish it had more Capcom style post-game challenges.

For sure. imo the extra gameplay modes of Dead Space 3 were when it really shone, wherein you could for example only build classic DS weapons and had to scavenge their blueprints, or the other where enemies only drop resources forcing you to craft EVERYTHING including health and ammo. Having to spend my few "universal" resources wisely made me realize that they aren't so universal after all and suddenly DS3 became a much cooler game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

sigher posted:

Is there any way to track the things you collect in NG+? I don't see a place where they're tallied and I don't know how many I got.

You can see how many empty places are on the table after interacting with it, but nothing in the UI.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
There's a separate "key items" list in the inventory.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

sigher posted:

Yeah, that one took me a bit to figure out. Go to the inventory screen and hit triangle (for PS5; I have no idea what it is for other systems).

On another note, I just now realized that the level 6 suit is actually USM Valor armor. If you have a large enough screen you can even see "USM Valor" inscribed on the chest.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Also, the game separately tracks the master keycard you make and the different security level upgrades. On NG+ your security level gets reset to 0 but you keep the master keycard (if you made it).

What I've noticed so far is that on NG+, all master keycard rooms/chests contain a schematic or weapon upgrade I missed in NG. Kinda cool. I wonder what they'll start giving me once I have all the schematics/upgrades.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Arrrthritis posted:

My grotty goop-stained toilet

Hell of a deep cut.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Done with impossible. Being more liberal with credits and purchases meant I was never in any real danger. The flamethrower was the absolutely GOAT. Fire wall as area suppression is just too good, last a good while, and lets you focus on other angles. It was amazing on the last few areas.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

...! posted:

Also, the game separately tracks the master keycard you make and the different security level upgrades. On NG+ your security level gets reset to 0 but you keep the master keycard (if you made it).

What I've noticed so far is that on NG+, all master keycard rooms/chests contain a schematic or weapon upgrade I missed in NG. Kinda cool. I wonder what they'll start giving me once I have all the schematics/upgrades.

They will give you nothing, the chest will be open and empty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

...! posted:

Those chests were in NG too, you just missed them

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jim Sterling posted his review of Dead Space Remake and, uh, it’s a pretty bad take.

https://www.thejimquisition.com/post/dead-space-remake-a-visceral-response-review

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how does the burnished suit compare to the marine one?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Done with impossible. Being more liberal with credits and purchases meant I was never in any real danger. The flamethrower was the absolutely GOAT. Fire wall as area suppression is just too good, last a good while, and lets you focus on other angles. It was amazing on the last few areas.

oh cool

did you have to do any quit-outs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Jim Sterling posted his review of Dead Space Remake and, uh, it’s a pretty bad take.

https://www.thejimquisition.com/post/dead-space-remake-a-visceral-response-review

Sterling has always been a huge loving idiot, so that's not surprising.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

She is being incredibly weirdly insulting there. The comments about Isaac's face in particular are odd because wasn't the actor the basis for Isaac's design from DS2 onward?

It feels like she started from the point of gently caress you and tried to retroactively fit it in. Like the complaints about Isaac talking 'puncturing the tension' make no sense because they are in scenes someone was talking already?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Like the complaints about Isaac talking 'puncturing the tension' make no sense because they are in scenes someone was talking already?

yes, and it's specifically a strong point of how they chose to integrate it. with i think maybe one exception (when he goes into nicole's office for the first time), isaac never jabbers on or comments on the goings-on of the ship to himself, which significantly helps to maintain the feeling of isolation and immersion that the original tried hard to cultivate

it really does feel like a retroactive "i don't like remakes" shoehorn of a review, which, fine, but i think it's deeply disingenuous to claim that nothing of significance was added to DSR compared to the original when the opposite is clearly and obviously true

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yep it’s a weird take. Much of the criticism (janky limb physics) apply to the original. Also they’re bad at game if they can’t get by with just the plasma cutter??

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xenomrph posted:

from the article posted:

Originally I’d planned to snub the game entirely and not play it, but having returned to writing reviews and curious to see what they did to my boy, I was compelled to check it out and… it sure is Dead Space! More accurately, it’s Dead Space with alterations I don’t much care for and a $70 price tag when I can play the superior original for comparative peanuts.
lol

Just dripping with smugness

e: omg

from the article posted:

In sincere honesty, I want to give this game the lowest score I possibly could due to how insulting I find its mere existence. Scoring a game on philosophical grounds rather than how it works as a piece of media is a curious prospect, and I’ve pondered exactly how much meta consideration should reflect the final critical assessment of a game. I’m being heavily biased here and I don’t think that’s a bad thing

Wow, why even write this? Is this games journalism?

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 4, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jokes posted:

Is this games journalism?

Six miles up it's own rear end and dumping praise/bile with nothing in between? Yeah it's games journalism

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
lmao, I guess at least she admits it's a heavily biased review.

still a bad review tho.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jokes posted:

lol

Just dripping with smugness

e: omg

Wow, why even write this? Is this games journalism?

Sterling is and always has been a massively toxic shithead who’s whole bread and butter is just being enraged about everything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

Sterling is and always has been a massively toxic shithead who’s whole bread and butter is just being enraged about everything.

Such is the wages of being a mid 2010s game critic.

At least Yahtzee Crowshaw went to therapy

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In the remake, apparently Isaac swears when you run out of ammo.

https://youtu.be/fJ_CmLD9UFw

GOTY 11/10 I love it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

In the remake, apparently Isaac swears when you run out of ammo.

https://youtu.be/fJ_CmLD9UFw

GOTY 11/10 I love it

Screaming angrily at a tool because you just rigged it and then forgot to charge it? Isaac *is* an engineer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

actionjackson posted:

did you have to do any quit-outs

Actually quit out once on the Valor torpedo room because lol whoops the exploder did his attack and everything exploded. I did replay a couple of areas I got through but used up too much healing and bullets but actually quit out was just the one time. I annihilated all tue bosses. Felt great to have the contact beam upgraded for em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just finished up New Game+, got the 12 collectables, installed all of the upgrades and maxed out all of my weapons and ammo. God drat what an amazing game.

However, I didn't get the "Merchant" achievement for collecting all of the Schematics so I'm confused. I have all of the weapon and armor ones, I have the LVL6 suit and the upgraded Stasis but still nothing? Is it bugged or did I need to collect all of those in a single run and not split between the two?

edit: I'm sure I have everything in the shop to buy. I think.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2023